Microsoft Could Bring Android Apps to Windows Phone

Microsoft Could Bring Android Apps to Windows Phone

Microsoft might bring Android apps to Windows Phone to bridge the app gap.

Windows Phone 8 Android

Microsoft's Windows Phone platform is firmly stuck in third place behind Android and iOS, and a lack of apps is a contributing factor to the perpetual bronze medal Microsoft earns every quarter.

So it's not a complete shock to hear, via The Verge, that Redmond executives are considering Android app compatibility on both Windows and Windows Phone. The move, which has not been confirmed by Microsoft, would bring millions of games and applications to Microsoft's platforms.

This wouldn't be a simple green light idea -- Microsoft would need to build app compatibility up from scratch, or it would need to partner with a company already experience in dual OS or app compatibility. Intel has been vocal in its support for apps that run on both Android and Windows, and software like BlueStacks let Android apps run on Windows right now, although support is touch and go at the moment.

The Android app support would serve as a transition move, or at least that's what Microsoft wants in the long run. If Microsoft can get Android users to come over to Windows Phone with their apps, and get some percentage of them onto Microsoft-made services, it's a win.

l may be in the minority but I am sick and tired of google and have been trying to escape them. Even got the surface pro 2, have not regretted it at all. All Microsoft needs to do is make it easier to develop for apps, and get rid of that awful windows 8. We need comparability like windows 7 back, and it will save MS

O maestre:
l may be in the minority but I am sick and tired of google and have been trying to escape them. Even got the surface pro 2, have not regretted it at all. All Microsoft needs to do is make it easier to develop for apps, and get rid of that awful windows 8. We need comparability like windows 7 back, and it will save MS

What is it about 8 you don't like? just out of interest.

O maestre:

Yes, all M$ has to do properly is what they do anyway, already: copying Apple.

The Android app support would serve as a transition move, or at least that's what Microsoft wants

Yeah, that seems unlikely. This would mean devs wouldn't need to bother investing a lot of resources writing a WP app. So why would they? You would need the following to happen:
- Android apps run on WP devices
- Hundreds of millions of users (globally) flock to WP hardware because of this
- App devs start making WP native apps again because it's a market you can't afford not to have a native app for.

tbh I have never understood why they didn't do this in the first place - Android apps are built on the Delvik virtual machine; all they need to do is port the VM and the support libraries and they have Android compatibility.

Apart from anything else, this was literally the entire point of making Android Apps run on a VM - so they would run on any phone hardware (this is why android apps can run on both ARM [most phones/tablets] and Intel x86 [e.g. the new samsung tablet] hardware, whereas pure native apps couldn't because of physical incompatibility with the processor architecture).

Also, Windows 8 can go and die please, kthxbye.

Sounds like a terrible idea. Windows Phone is built to be developed for natively (hence the .NET framework being on there and having support for Visual C++ with XAML apps), getting the best performance out of the device. Android apps are developed to be portable, hence the bazillion layers of virtualisation in Android, which means that you need a fuckin' Snapdragon 800 (2.2 GHz quad-core in a phone? Seriously? Fuck right off) to get some decent performance out of it (inb4 Nokia Lumia 1520, the only reason that has one inside it is basically to say that it's 'as powerful as the Galaxy Note 3').

Furthermore, currently Android apps rely heavily on the Google Media Services (GMS) part of the Android nowadays, which isn't open-source, so god knows how Microsoft will get hold of that. They'd have to end up making their own equivalent (like Amazon have with the Kindle), which would kinda defeat the point as that would effectively be like creating a separate OS and they'd be back to square one.

So yeah, stupid decision.

O maestre:
...and get rid of that awful windows 8.

nickpy:

Face it, Windows 8 is here to stay, and that's a good thing. Trust me.

The thing that holds MS back is it's terrible development policies. They are so restrictive and locked down compared to Android. You want to make an Android game... just make it. MS wants exclusivity deals, they want to own the IP... just like they do with their terrible XBox Live Market Place.

Edit: You could easily argue Apple does the same to great success, but Apple has a huge install base. Windows Phones are such a tiny portion of the market share, their restrictions are huge joke. Why would anyone agree to some kind of exclusivity when three people own your phone.

Megacherv:

I will not deny anyone else their choice of OS, but I will never have it on my own hardware. Plus, I worked in the technology retail sector, and I know first hand the level of pushback from consumers toward Win8. It made my job.... interesting, to say the least.

It doesn't matter if its simply a case of "getting used to it" if theres no actual benefit to the consumer, and honestly, I cannot see one in Windows 8's new interface UNLESS you're using a touchscreen (which is almost nobody since that ship has pretty much already sailed in Android and iOS). The majority of people see no point/benefit to them in Win8, and therefore see no point in the learning curve associated with it, so they don't want it.

Not to mention that from a technical perspective the way MS has rather inexpertly mashed the two interfaces together makes finding the thing you wanted to do such a pain in the ****. I mean, its not the mark of a good OS where manufacturers feel the need to preinstall a third party "shut down" button because its so unobvious where the built-in one is. I still havn't figured out where you can uninstall metro apps; why they can't appear in the Control Panel's Uninstall a Program list is beyond me.

How is it going to be easy for the average Joe to move his Android apps over to Windows Phone? Didn't he buy a few on Android Market(not calling it Google play, the only things I've ever downloaded aren't "played") that have some kind of DRM that stops him from copying the apk file to another android phone much less one with a different OS? Or is purchased apps just using a GOG style honor system? Also, Of course Intel wants Android apps on an x86 OS. And really if I could get Torque on my 15" laptop instead of buying a tablet I don't want, I'd be down with that. I might even put up with upgrading to Win 8 if M$ brings back the discount they had a year ago.

nickpy:

Not to mention that from a technical perspective the way MS has rather inexpertly mashed the two interfaces together makes finding the thing you wanted to do such a pain in the ****. I mean, its not the mark of a good OS where manufacturers feel the need to preinstall a third party "shut down" button because its so unobvious where the built-in one is. I still havn't figured out where you can uninstall metro apps; why they can't appear in the Control Panel's Uninstall a Program list is beyond me.

That is so damn true. Win 8's entire system, both desktop mode and Metro, is so convoluted and unintuitive, I pains me just to use my sis's laptop I got her. Using Metro with a touchpad is waste of time since a twitch of the fingers at the wrong time causes it to load apps you don't want. General maintenance and trouble shooting requires jumping between metro and the desktop because certain services can't be found on the other. And you already mentioned the shutdown and Control Panel issues. Win 8 is a mess for anyone who uses it for more than just web surfing and is far worse if you don't even have a mouse. PC makers need to see that their touchscreen prices along with Win 8's shinterface are driving away the few customers that don't want tablets and will just keep their old PCs and light a fire under M$'s ass to fix Win 8.

Or better yet, keep using your Android phone -_-'

Thanks. Ive been playing with Bluestacks all afternoon now. I had originally intended to just Virtualbox a copy of android on my HTPC next time I reformat it, but If I can figure out how to adjust RAM allocations Ill likely stick with this simply for the ease of use.

On topic. Hrm, It is one of the best ideas I have ever heard MS putting forth. They cannot overtake android as it is right now, So the logical idea would be to divide and conquer.

Captcha: Be nice
Go F*&k yourself captcha.

Why is everyone complaining about Windows 8 (Desktop) when the article is about Windows PHONE 8???

Let's hope Microsoft can do it, more smartphone competition is good for all customers after all.

Tar Palantir:
Why is everyone complaining about Windows 8 (Desktop) when the article is about Windows PHONE 8???

Let's hope Microsoft can do it, more smartphone competition is good for all customers after all.

Because MS tried (and failed) to link the two together with Windows 8 and RT.

Surprised to see no mention of Blackberry, they recently added the ability to install Android app .apks to BB10, and it's been working good so far. The core "Google Services" apps don't work, likely because Google won't let them, but all the other ones I've tried work fine.

I have a Windows Phone. It's perfect for me. I really don't use too many apps. The pre-loaded stuff works just fine. I can check Facebook, Twitter, et all from just one screen without using an app. Having Android apps would be cool though. Maybe I'd be tempted to use more apps.

I used to have a Windows Phone and I like the OS a lot. What I don't like is the lack of 3rd party support and the way Microsoft totally abandoned all Windows Phone 7 devices (some of which were only 6 months old) with Windows Phone 8. So when it came time to upgrade I went for a Nexus 5. Microsoft needs to make everything less complicated and Windows Phone definitely does that, unlike Windows 8.

BloodRed Pixel:

O maestre:

Yes, all M$ has to do properly is what they do anyway, already: copying Apple.

What where did you get that from my post!? The have to do the opposite, copying Apple is what is ruining them. Focus on productivity not fun. Microsoft is like what Audi is to cars, a business suit, ment for business and enterprise not fun. Metro looks like someone looked up fun in a dictionary and implemented it, without ever experiencing fun and intuitive. M$ should stick to their roots.

Megacherv:

O maestre:
...and get rid of that awful windows 8.

nickpy:

Yeah it is so brilliant that's why they released win8.1. Not to mention how popular it is with a raving 10% adoption rate. Lol

ISeeColours:

O maestre:

What is it about 8 you don't like? just out of interest.

Multiple things. Mostly the incompatibility, interface issues and useless security features. I am tired of having to run 32-bit versions of software, tired of tedious work around to get programs to work. It makes no sense, although after two years the fault lies both with Microsoft and the 3rd party software developers. The interface is also rather unintuitive, I find myself switching between two different OS' metro and desktop back and forth enough times to annoy me. It really feels as if I am running one dual OS, very fragmented. The new safety features of for read/write permissions make test benching and creating and writing programs problematic. Compared to windows 7 it seems M$ has introduced a number of difficulties and problems that were not present before. It feels like vista all over again.

Also I find miracast to be a dumb move they should have stuck with WiDi. The compatibility issues are going to end up alienating many manufacturers.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here