AMD Announces Yet Another New Graphics Card: The R7 265

AMD Announces Yet Another New Graphics Card: The R7 265

Another day, another new entry-to-mid-range Radeon board.

AMD R7 265 Graphics Card

Thought the R7 250X announcement was enough AMD GPU news for one week? Think again. Later this February, AMD will start selling a new $149 GPU -- the Radeon R7 265. The R7 265 slots in between the R7 260X and R7 270X. Interested parties will find GCN (Graphics Core Next) tech paired with 2 GB of GDDR5 onboard, along with a 256-bit memory interface, 1,024 stream processors, and support for the usual AMD suspects: PowerTune CrossFire, Eyefinity, and Mantle. DirectX 11.2 will also be supported. Lastly, the R7 265 runs at about 150W, requires one 6-pin power connector, rounding out specs we'd expect to see in a $149 card.

Performance and hands-on will have to wait for now, but AMD promises a 25 percent boost over the R7 260X, which will soon drop in price to $119. Expect more news on the R7 265 by the end of the month.

Please don't think me rude, but are these AMD graphics card announcements in any way sponsored?

I can't remember The Escapist announcing new graphics chips on the front page since, well since I started reading it back when Crysis was yet to be released, yet suddenly there's two. It just seems a little incongruous that this is front page worthy. It's not a new way to use hardware, it's not some big change to a service, it's a pair of low end GPU's that nobody's really excited about.

Look nice enough though, although once Tax and profit skimming get added these things won't be much cheaper than a 7850 2GB already is here in Euroland, which is unfortunate.

More options is always a good thing. AMD seems hellbent on delivering a lot of value to consumers lately. I applaud them for that.

sounds good. even when im still happy with my 7870 card and still can run so far every game on max settings, i might consider it one day. maybe when its cheaper.

fix-the-spade:
Please don't think me rude, but are these AMD graphics card announcements in any way sponsored?

I can't remember The Escapist announcing new graphics chips on the front page since, well since I started reading it back when Crysis was yet to be released, yet suddenly there's two. It just seems a little incongruous that this is front page worthy. It's not a new way to use hardware, it's not some big change to a service, it's a pair of low end GPU's that nobody's really excited about.

That was before we got this editorial earlier this week, which explains that The Escapist is diversifying its news topics. And Devin is the guy responsible for tech and hardware related news.

That isn't at all a bad card, I might consider picking one up for my parents computer. My dad has been complaining about not being able to max out dishonored lately.

synobal:
That isn't at all a bad card, I might consider picking one up for my parents computer. My dad has been complaining about not being able to max out dishonored lately.

Tell your dad I said he's awesome.

Personally, I wouldn't settle for anything less than a 280X. Which is why I got one while there was still plenty of them in stock. That card is hard to come by in my area these days.

I can assure you that these AMD announcements aren't sponsored.

New GPUs (if AMD or Nvidia is releasing more than one at once) tend to get skewed announcements. When Nvidia announced the 700 series last year, the GTX 780 reviews were a week or so before the 770 reviews, and those both were announced a few weeks before the 760.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-780-performance-review,3516.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-770-gk104-review,3519.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-760-review-gk104,3542.html

(note the publish dates on those three articles)

AMD did the same thing with the 750X and 765 -- separate embargo dates for each card.

As for a proper review, they will pop up closer to the cards release later this month.

-Devin Connors

Adam Jensen:

synobal:

Tell your dad I said he's awesome.

Personally, I wouldn't settle for anything less than a 280X. Which is why I got one while there was still plenty of them in stock. That card is hard to come by in my area these days.

He will be thrilled he really liked Deus Ex HR.

I'm still happy with my 6870 but am thinking about getting something newer as it's now three years old. For unknown reasons, tend to alternate between Nvidia and AMD. I'm definitely leaning towards a Nvidia 770 as it seems super powerful for the price and should have a nice 2 - 3 year life in my PC.

antidonkey:
I'm still happy with my 6870 but am thinking about getting something newer as it's now three years old. For unknown reasons, tend to alternate between Nvidia and AMD. I'm definitely leaning towards a Nvidia 770 as it seems super powerful for the price and should have a nice 2 - 3 year life in my PC.

That card should last you at least until the end of this year. If I were you I'd wait for GDDR6 GPUs. Last I heard they should be coming out sometime this year.

I really hope my 7950 supports mantel, I don't want to have to upgrade after such a short time.

gigastar:
That was before we got this editorial earlier this week, which explains that The Escapist is diversifying its news topics. And Devin is the guy responsible for tech and hardware related news.

Devin Connors:
I can assure you that these AMD announcements aren't sponsored.

Fair enough, I missed the editorial, my apologies.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here