Titanfall Runs at 792p, 60 FPS on Xbox One

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Titanfall Runs at 792p, 60 FPS on Xbox One

Respawn has confirmed the odd 792p resolution for Titanfall, but says an increase before launch is on the table.

While the rest of us are still waiting on those Titanfall beta invites to be sent out, the fine folks over at Eurogamer have gotten their hands on a Titanfall preview build, and have some findings to report on how the game runs. Specifically, they claim that it runs at a rather odd 792p resolution, and confirm the 60 FPS benchmark (though admit it has dips).

Respawn then came out and officially confirmed the odd resolution, confirming that the beta's native resolution will indeed be 792p.

Abbie Heppe, Community Manager at Respawn, explained that while 720p and 1080p are the standards that most gamers are used to, the vast majority of games run at odd resolutions and are then upscaled. In this instance, 792p would be upscaled to 1080p depending on the output settings of the console.

She added that the resolution will increase as the team edge closer towards a final build of Titanfall, and could potentially be in the region of 900p native resolution once complete.

Back to Eurogamer's preview, it stated that "Probably the biggest surprise is that, based on our testing, frame-rate doesn't quite remain locked to 60 FPS - not especially noticeable in most situations, but definitely more of an issue inside the titans," adding that it "wasn't impressed" with Microsoft's 1080p upscaler, an issue Respawn is apparently working with Microsoft to remedy.

Source: Eurogamer, Titanfall Blog

792p, Next-Gen is truly here guys.

If you're XB1 exclusive, you don't really care about res, bro. That's selectively bred out of you, bro. 1080p is bad for you, bro.

We couldn't even make 1080p

How can cat videos on youtube achieve 1080p and a console from a gigantic corporation can't.

Not even 1080p? Pfffffft. Lame. Get it together, Xbox. Geez.

For clarification, I'm joking. I don't know what 1080p means and I don't particularly care either.

I just... I just wanted to join in on the bro-ing going on...

Dark Knifer:
We couldn't even make 1080p

How can cat videos on youtube achieve 1080p and a console from a gigantic corporation can't.

Because cats are universal. Bow before the might of kitties!

*cough* uh, anyways...
Well, i guess if the game plays at 60fps and stays constant, the low res can get a pass for now.
They will need to sort out these res shenanigans for future games though.

It's a fuckin' Source game. If they can't make a Source game run at 1080p 60fps on a next-gen console then the Xbone is a really shitty console.

So, my tablet is more HD than this game's actual resoution.

Next gen, ladies and gentlemen.

I honestly thought that the Xbone's premier 'killer game' which as Adam Jensen has already mentioned is using the venerable Source Engine would at least hit 1080/60 mark.

I need to set my already low standards even lower it seems.

Time to be totally glib and pull out the old PC Master Race jab.

Because it amuses me.

I'm happy to hear the beta is underway, but why are so many people hung up on resolution of late? I guess it's nice when you have a 40+ tv or something. It seems every other time when a game isn't 1080 people get mad or make snide remarks. I really don't care how good a game looks in relation to how well it plays. I mean I love Paper Please, and it looks like something made for Apple II E. I guess I just have low standards; if it works and glitches, I'm good. Anything after that is gravy.

Arawn:
I'm happy to hear the beta is underway, but why are so many people hung up on resolution of late? I guess it's nice when you have a 40+ tv or something. It seems every other time when a game isn't 1080 people get mad or make snide remarks. I really don't care how good a game looks in relation to how well it plays. I mean I love Paper Please, and it looks like something made for Apple II E. I guess I just have low standards; if it works and glitches, I'm good. Anything after that is gravy.

It's that when you run a video at a different (lower) resolution than the display is made for, it gets this kinda' blurry haze around a lot of things (especially edges) for some people.
It's sort of like how some people see 30FPS as choppy, or the people who suffer VR Sickness from forced low FOVs on PC games (I don't even get VRS, and that starts to hurt my eyes).

I think for many, it's just annoyance that the new "next-gen, firework-launching look-how-futury-we-look" hardware they bought can't handle the now-default video resolution at a steady 60Hz, and it somewhat dissilusions people with their new $500 purchase (at least until they finally get to play the game, anyways.)

Tismo:
792p, Next-Gen is truly here guys.

Hey, it's finally something Microsoft can truthfully claim as being completely unique! #ShotsFired #LightheartedJabs #<-ThisIsAPoundSignGoddamnitStopReplacingCodeSpecificNomenclatureWithGeneralCharacters

Adam Jensen:
It's a fuckin' Source game. If they can't make a Source game run at 1080p 60fps on a next-gen console then the Xbone is a really shitty console.

Why would you of all people need a tablet, did you fall for another biochip "upgrade?" At least it's still in development, so there's a chance that they can tighten up the optimization and hopefully get a bit more out of it (unless Titanfall was secretly co-developed by Infinity Ward, am I right?)

GrinningCat:

For clarification, I'm joking. I don't know what 1080p means and I don't particularly care either.

1080p stands for 1080 (pixels high) p(rogressive scan, meaning all of each frame is transmitted per frame, rather than (i)nterlacing, which is alternating rows, and generally only ever used for TV broadcasts to save on bandwidth).

Specifically, here it's referring to the display being 1080 pixels high by 1920 pixels wide, or 1920x1080 for short.
(Just a side note, console users will usually use TV broadcast standards like #p, while PC users generally go by x-by-y resolutions, though there is a decent amount of overlap.)

The Escapist Forums: Learning you some knowledge since 2005 (whether you want it or not).

Dark Knifer:

Well, cat videos are more 'next-gen' than the Xbone.

And is this weird resomolution just on the Xbone or for PC too? Because it seems the only people who care about such things are mostly PC gamers.

No, not weird enough. I want it to be in 837p! Seriously, though, at this point this is just hilarious. XBone is such a weak machine that it can barely keep up with the current tech... Titanfall devs don't dare leave it 720, but 900 would likely cause the console to combust, so they're squeezing it pixel by pixel...

792p, so we can say Xbone Titanfall is a higher resolution than 360 Titanfall and not be lieing.

My God the Xbone is a disappointing piece of hardware, to think nine months ago it was ' true 1080p 60fps is coming, prepare yourselves!' and now the spanking new five hundred dollar house brick can't even do the base minimum that everyone else can. Ouch.

Steven Bogos:
and confirm the 60 FPS benchmark (though admit it has dips).

While most people are focussing on the resolution, I think this is actually the more interesting part. If the framerate has dips, that means it's not actually hitting the benchmark. So they compromised on resolution to hit the framerate benchmark, but haven't actually managed to achieve that either.

I'll take a lower resolution if it means the game runs smoothly. I honestly couldn't give a flying fuck whether it's 720p, 1080p or this random 792p.

Fun to watch the internet's reaction to it each time though.

Arawn:

Because Microsoft was at the forefront of hammering home the idea of full-HD next-gen gaming. It's been stated many times all over the internet, but the very fact that the biggest advocate for 1080p gaming can not actually deliver a true 1080p gaming experience is somewhat pathetic.

CriticalMiss:

And is this weird resomolution just on the Xbone or for PC too? Because it seems the only people who care about such things are mostly PC gamers.

It's safe to say this is just on the Xbox One. "Internal resolution" is pretty much just a console thing, PC games let you adjust the resolution the game is rendered at in the options menu (or at least a pre-game launcher).
People get (understandably) upset when PC FPS games don't include FOV options, If they didn't let you change the resolution on the PC version of a big fancy AAA FPS, there would be a MASSIVE shitstorm.

fix-the-spade:
792p, so we can say Xbone Titanfall is a higher resolution than 360 Titanfall and not be lieing.

My God the Xbone is a disappointing piece of hardware, to think nine months ago it was ' true 1080p 60fps is coming, prepare yourselves!' and now the spanking new five hundred dollar house brick can't even do the base minimum that everyone else can. Ouch.

To be fair, I'd guarantee that the XB1 version is using higher quality textures, particles, models, and lighting effects than its 360 counterpart.
It is pretty disappointing that they aren't living up to their promise of 1920x1080x60, though I'm glad they're at least focusing on the 60 part for a game like this.

Kahani:

While most people are focussing on the resolution, I think this is actually the more interesting part. If the framerate has dips, that means it's not actually hitting the benchmark. So they compromised on resolution to hit the framerate benchmark, but haven't actually managed to achieve that either.

I'm more interested in exactly what the extent of the drops are. Occasional drops in framerate are unavoidable (even a set of 780Ti's dip on occasion), but if it's consistently tanking, then yeah, that's a problem.

GrinningCat:
Not even 1080p? Pfffffft. Lame. Get it together, Xbox. Geez.

I just... I just wanted to join in on the bro-ing going on...

1080p is referring to the resolution, in this case 1920x1080 which is so common in todays monitors/TV's that you could practically call it the standard. The I or P is on the end to indicate weather it's interlaced or progressive scan (that is, how the image is projected onto the screen). Simply put, 1080p is sharper and does fast motions better due to the way the image of each frame is drawn on the TV compared to 1080i. People are complaining that a lot of games are 720p, which if memory serves is 1280x720, a rather low resolution by todays standards and something even cheap laptops can do easily.

To be honest while I don't put graphics at the top of my priority list, 1080p has become such a standard that there really is no excuse for a modern console not to do it, heck even the PS3 could do 1080p on some games, although most did it via up scaling I believe there are some that do it natively. Either way both my Android tablet and Windows 8 hybrid can do 1080p, so it's rather ridicules if a console cannot pull it off.

EDIT: Dammit got ninja'd by ToastyMozart

Andy Shandy:
I'll take a lower resolution if it means the game runs smoothly. I honestly couldn't give a flying fuck whether it's 720p, 1080p or this random 792p.

Fun to watch the internet's reaction to it each time though.

Considering the article also states that it doesn't maintain its 60 FPS (and the dips become very noticeable while piloting the titans), it sounds like you're not going to get either one.

I do love the general sneering at people for being disappointed that a "next-gen" console can't yet achieve what even low-end PC gaming rigs have been achieving for years, though.

Well Titanfall has just been M$'s special little baby recently. It's current internal res is weird and M$ is tweaking the analog sensitivity just for Respawn. I'd buy this for PC just to screw with M$ if it wasn't on Origin and I actually gave in to the hype.

ToastyMozart:

CriticalMiss:

It's safe to say this is just on the Xbox One. "Internal resolution" is pretty much just a console thing, PC games let you adjust the resolution the game is rendered at in the options menu (or at least a pre-game launcher).
People get (understandably) upset when PC FPS games don't include FOV options, If they didn't let you change the resolution on the PC version of a big fancy AAA FPS, there would be a MASSIVE shitstorm.

I'd bet that, if not in the stock options, a mod(or a total hack if Respawn/EA don't deliver mods tools in a short time after launch) will allow resolutions up to 4K. That's probably what's next on the agenda for PC game standards, and I'd complain, too, if I had a 4K monitor and GTX Titan and the latest AAA game only allowed me to go to 1080p.

Arawn:

Resolution is highly responsible for a game's looks.

As I said before, you can either look at a fine piece of art through crystal clear glass or frosted glass. One if better than the other for fine details.

Next gen graphics are all about small details, which lower resolutions will fail to pick up. Its rather pointless to be next gen at a last gen resolution.

Now, the other problem is the TV itself. 1080p is now replacing 720p, if it hasn't fully replaced it already as standard. The cost is about the same now.

1080p is bigger than 720p, so the 720 image is upscaled into a larger image. For a demonstration, find a 720p image, and zoom in by a lot.

See those pixels and jaggies? See how the image gets boxy? That's why they exist, because they didn't actually change the resolution. Zooming in on an image doesn't make it clearer. Its the exact same principle.

So if you paid for a 1080p TV and got a xbox one expecting next gen graphics, you just wasted money. Its exactly like the xbox one saying "we only support CRT monitors, go away flat screen elitists!"

A modern console is expected to support modern TVs to its fullest capability. 720p was modern in 2005, but this is 2014. By the end of this generation ( 8-10 years) everyone would have moved onto 4K tvs. Or at least 1080p, which the xbox one can't handle.

So the xbox one gave the middle finger to anyone with a modern TV because they didn't want to spend the extra money for a true next gen console that could stand the test of time.

Hairless Mammoth:
That's probably what's next on the agenda for PC game standards, and I'd complain, too, if I had a 4K monitor and GTX Titan and the latest AAA game only allowed me to go to 1080p.

That's already a thing if you haven't checked out the Steam forums when MGR came out, people there were highly expecting to play the game in a res to that of 4k and were totally shocked when they couldn't and didn't realise it was Platinum's first ever PC port and even then those that actually have 4K actually had the money to get such a setup and quality, they are still the minority compared to the rest of earth's population that doesn't actually have 4k yet, sorry but that's the truth.

Until then for some it's going to be 1080 or slightly lower until everyone finally catches up which will take some time, I myself don't even own a 1920x1080 monitor because where I live those are expensive for me at the moment and I have better things to save money on and for.

Not unexpected at all for the Xbone not being able to handle this game that is made in Source engine that will work at 1080p 60fps.

Also to add to that I will not cripple myself with playing a first person shooter with a controller I will grab the superior version (the PC) and play it at 1080p instead with a mouse and keyboard. That's how are shooters are supposed to be played.

This game uses the now pretty aging source engine. Yes the L4D2 level Source engine. I realize that they have probably highly modified it but still, even on my old computer i couldn't make the source engine run slowly. I did an experiement were i wan HL2:EP2 with 24X Antialiasing and it STILL refused to dip too much.

Admittedly this was back in 2008 on my old monitor of 1280x1024 but wouldn't you just know it that's actually a higher resolution than this game runs at.

Of course graphics for the game don't really matter that much, a game can be fantastic and look pretty middling. What we are laughing at here is Microsoft, who have put so much time effort and boasting into their "Supercomputer" console and it runs like a mid-range PC from 2008.

As I've said since the xbone was announced it's really really under powered, what is worse though is it is more expensive than the more capable PS4, I really don't see how microsoft can expect to last this console generation. I predict a short generation or microsoft dropping the xbox all together.

I wonder if it is a technical issue in the sense: the xbox one can't deliver high framrates at 1080p or if it is a weird design choice. Neither explanations sound very promising tbh. Still, next gen and not 1080p is... well I can't really find a word the would accurately describe it. The best that comes to mind is "what da fuck?". I mean... seriously? What da fuck?

I wonder if they know that 2560x1600 monitors are becoming a thing now. And whil I agree that those resolutions are insane and pointless on a smartphone (i.e. 5inch or smaller) screens where the ppi at 1080p is allready 300+, those resolutions still increase quality on 25inch and bigger screens (like a fucking TV??). Downscaling sounds weird. And while I am the first to say: better story and gameplay are more important then graphics. That argument does not hold up in this type of game where the story is just there because u need a lame explanation to shoot things. And FPS gameplay is pretty standard. No real innovation there. So increasing the graphics so shooting stuff looks more pretty is kinda relevant in this situation. And yes pixels arn't everything but they are a big fucking part of making shit look good. Which brings me back to: WHAT DA FUCK???

As a PC gamer who still uses an old 1440x900 screen, I'll say fuck the resolution. But if this shit won't run at my native 75 fps and barely reach the 60 fps mark, it's a no-sale for me (It's one of the reasons, beside money, that I haven't switched to a newer monitor)

Well, I have 720p TV screens, and that isn't going to change anytime soon. So... yay for me?

Arawn:

let me put it this way.

my shitty laptop can easily run games at 1080p.

my tablet? same.

I got both of them for under $500.

So Microsoft is telling us that for $500 we could either buy a 'next gen' console that is unable to run at pretty much the standard resolution, or we could actually buy a PC.

or in my case, a PS4, which is cheaper and yet is somehow able to actually have a better resolution.

in even simpler terms: You buy a car, you expect it to have seatbelts and airbags, those are pretty much standard for all vehicles now. So why would you spend even more for a car that is unable to have either, which the maker claims 'isn't a big deal'?

Am I supposed to care? Because as long as it's a fun game, I don't. And if it isn't, I still don't care, because I won't be playing it on account of it not being fun.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here