Little Mac Joins Super Smash Bros. 4 As a New Fighter

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Little Mac Joins Super Smash Bros. 4 As a New Fighter

If any Nintendo character is suited for a role in its mascot brawler Super Smash Bros., it's Punch-out's Little Mac.

Nintendo has announced a brand new character that will be joining its upcoming mascot brawler, Super Smash Bros. For Wii U and 3DS, and unlike some of the other new fighters, this one actually makes sense. Little Mac, the star of puzzle game disguised as boxing game Punch-out, will be punching his way into the brawl when the game releases this year.

The accompanying trailer shows Mac preparing for his entrance with an epic training montage, before finally making his appearance and showing that smug b-word Samus that size doesn't matter. We see him holding his own against all of Smash Bros. crazy and wacky characters with their lazer beams and missiles and guns, which just goes to show, sometimes the best solution to a problem is to punch it.

The trailer also shows Mac's final smash, which appears to be some kind of mega bulk up transformation, as well as hinting at a new mechanic unique to him. There's a "K.O" meter just above his health percentage, that when he fills up, he can use it to unleash a massive smash attack, just like in the Punch-out games.

Little Mac first made his appearance in the original Punch-out arcade games. He had a game on the NES and the SNES, and then pretty much lay dormant until the surprisingly good Wii remake (also titled Punch-out).

In between fitness trainers and Mario Galaxy background NPCs, I was starting to think Sakurai was losing his marbles, but now it looks like he has made a sound decision. I don't think anyone will be protesting the inclusion of Little Mac in Super Smash Bros!

Source: Nintendo

Never heard of this character before, but he seems like something different, and he fits with the theme, so I'll give him a pass. After-all, wouldn't be an SSB game without a few obscure Nintendo characters no-one's ever heard of right?

JoJo:
Never heard of this character before, but he seems like something different, and he fits with the theme, so I'll give him a pass. After-all, wouldn't be an SSB game without a few obscure Nintendo characters no-one's ever heard of right?

Mike Tyson's Punch Out really isn't obscure :P

OT: This is probably the one Nintendo character who deserved to be in the series since the start, I mean, out of all of them he's an actual fighter, glad to see him here.

JoJo:
Never heard of this character before

I...hwua...whaaat? *head melts due to inability to comprehend*

There's still people in gaming communities who haven't heard of Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!? JoJo, you have no idea what you've missed out on. You need to nab a copy of Punch-Out!! - Either get the original NES cart (the Mike Tyson one, not the Mr. Dream version that later replaced it) or buy it though VC, or the get the Wii reboot. Not to mention that it has one of the hardest bosses in gaming history at the end...

OT: Yeah, it's kind of a given that he'd become a playable character at one point. He might have been an Assist Trophy in Brawl but given his experience and background with fighting and boxing, in reality it's only fitting to make him an actual choice.

In these kind of crossover games, losing your marbles is practically mandatory. Best to go nuts to add some variation to things.

Anyway, looks like I found another character to play as. Practically every fighting game should have a boxer-type character and Little Mac looks like he's filling that void well. The KO gauge he has and his armored moves look like they'll make him pretty deadly in the right hands

Guah, I'm excited to play this character.

Punch out's just been making a weird, slow return from the olden days. With the Smash Trophy, the Punch Out remake, the Punch Out parody in Wonderful 101 (seriously, two whole bossfights are literally just full on Punch Out rounds) and now this.

Even though I've never played Punch Out, it's one of those games I know enough about to respect. I love the theme song for it too.

Steven Bogos:

In between fitness trainers and Mario Galaxy background NPCs, I was starting to think Sakurai was losing his marbles, but now it looks like he has made a sound decision. I don't think anyone will be protesting the inclusion of Little Mac in Super Smash Bros!

Me thinks you don't realize that Smash Bros. has ALWAYS been about putting in characters that aren't made for your average fighter. Sakurai has even stated on several occasions that he tries to look for characters that aren't really meant for fighting games because they have potential for more unique movesets and interesting playstyles.

That's why we have the likes of Captain Falcon, Zelda, Olimar, Fox/Falco, Kirby. It makes almost no sense to have characters like this is a fighting game (Race Car Driver, Princess, Fairly Passive Astronaut, Pilots, and a Puffball). So I don't see why the decision of having Wii Fit Trainer and Rosalina are so bizarre. Personally I'm looking forward to those two, while Little Mac seems boring.

Corporate Mac is back, and the Youngblood Era begins!

I'm looking forward to seeing how he plays compared to some of the others. I get the impression he'll handle in a similar fashion to Falcon, but time will tell.

Frozengale:
That's why we have the likes of Captain Falcon, Zelda, Olimar, Fox/Falco, Kirby. It makes almost no sense to have characters like this is a fighting game (Race Car Driver, Princess, Fairly Passive Astronaut, Pilots, and a Puffball). So I don't see why the decision of having Wii Fit Trainer and Rosalina are so bizarre. Personally I'm looking forward to those two, while Little Mac seems boring.

It's seemed to me that the roster has always operated on the "You Know What Would Be Cool" principle.

Well, I bet a lot of people are happy.
Good for them.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of Punch Out!! because I never played the original game or the remake, but look forward to giving Little Mac a shot. I wonder if his height will give him a huge advantage in the game.

On a side note, I think the Smash Bros trailers are really, really good. They actually got be excited for the Wii Fitt Trainer for crying out loud and they pretty much did the same for me and Little Mac.

Hopefully we get more new characters like this. I'm praying they make Lyndis from Fire Emblem a character (another former Smash Trophy). I'd love a character who revolves around battojutsu and fencing.

I hope we don't get a ton of same franchise characters this time around. I especially hope they cut out the Fox clones and half of the Kirby cast. Removing King Dedede, Meta Knight, Falco and Wolf and you've got room for 4 new characters. Ganondorf is also dispensible, he's been a slower, shittier Captain Falcon since Melee.

Would also be nice if Gym leaders started appearing in the game, or even Elite Four members. Would be pretty awesome to have Lance and his Dragonite as characters, or Brock and his Onix.

Ah yes, obviously coinciding with the new Punch Out!! episodes of Game Grumps. Good job Nintendo.

Yes! This is awesome, I always thought he'd be cool in this series. Now if only they put skull kid in, I could die a happy man.

Would trade ganondorf for skull kid easily

His final smash could be the moon dropping like in majoras mask

Now that's a pretty cool idea. It seemed strange, until you consider Pit got in brawl and at the time, he only had a single game that was two decades old. It's a pretty big upgrade from a support character.

I wonder if Saki from Sin and Punishment has a chance of getting in. He was a Smash Trophy as well.

JoJo:

Huh, really? I've never played Punch-Out and even I recognized it as soon as the trailer started up.

FancyNick:
Yes! This is awesome, I always thought he'd be cool in this series. Now if only they put skull kid in, I could die a happy man.

Dendio:
Would trade ganondorf for skull kid easily

His final smash could be the moon dropping like in majoras mask

I'd prefer Ganondorf for Midna, myself. Could easily give her a unique moveset of her own that would offer a unique experience. Plus, Midna's awesome, and the closest I could arguably get to a waifu.

Dexterity:
Hopefully we get more new characters like this. I'm praying they make Lyndis from Fire Emblem a character (another former Smash Trophy). I'd love a character who revolves around battojutsu and fencing.

I hope we don't get a ton of same franchise characters this time around. I especially hope they cut out the Fox clones and half of the Kirby cast. Removing King Dedede,...

Just a heads up that King Dedede has already been confirmed. No telling about the other guys though.

Personally I just want characters with different move sets, I don't care if they are for the same franchise. Prying that Pokemon Trainer will be back if only because he was so different.

Jesus that Giga Mac transformation is frightening. He looks like he's going to bite pikachu in half!

I'm hyped as all hell for this though. I wanted little Mac back in brawl, and what I got.. a little disappointing (even though he was an amazing assist) Now they just need to add Paper Mario, a Warioware Character, and replace Ike with Chrom and all my predictions will come true!

Story:

Just a heads up that King Dedede has already been confirmed. No telling about the other guys though.

Personally I just want characters with different move sets, I don't care if they are for the same franchise. Prying that Pokemon Trainer will be back if only because he was so different.

Oh I forgot King Dedede was reconfirmed. Well, at least he's not that bad of a character... He's not a clone at least. I just hope they buff up his movepool a little, especially his shitty final smash.

Pokemon trainer could be nice, but if he comes back, I want different Pokemon. Wartortle, Venusaur and Charmander or something. Maybe Typhlosion, Meganium and Feraligator? Typhlosion is speedy, Feraligator is a bruiser and Meganium would be good support.

There's also the option of the gen 6 starters, considering that Chespin's, Fennekin's and Froakie's evo trees all follow the knight, wizard and rogue archetypes.

I'd prefer Ganondorf for Midna, myself. Could easily give her a unique moveset of her own that would offer a unique experience. Plus, Midna's awesome, and the closest I could arguably get to a waifu.[/quote]

I was hoping they'd scrap Toon Link for Wolf Link. Would be a lot more interesting than a faster, lighter link.

Alright! I was hoping that Little Mac would get his due. Personally, I kinda feel like Mac only getting in as an assist in the last game was a bit of a missed opportunity. But he looks fun as hell to play in this one.

Also, Samus making a comment about his height? Hilarious.

So, former Assist Trophies are fair game. That means I might get Isaac!

JoJo:

Actually punch out has quite the fanbase. He's up there as an all time classic from the NES SNES days

JoJo:

perhaps it's because you're from the UK, but punch out was fucking HUGEEEE growing up, hell even my friends who don't play video games at all know that game, it was as common as mario was when I was a kid. Hell all my brothers have even played it on the wii virtual console (it's one of the few games the family bought on there)

here is a taste of the awesomeness:

OT: This is actually getting my slightly interested, wonder if they'll put any other awesome characters in.

Dexterity:

I hope we don't get a ton of same franchise characters this time around. I especially hope they cut out the Fox clones and half of the Kirby cast. Removing King Dedede, Meta Knight, Falco and Wolf and you've got room for 4 new characters. Ganondorf is also dispensible, he's been a slower, shittier Captain Falcon since Melee.

No.

Meta Knight and Dedede are needed (Since Meta Knight is so popular he'll most likely return). Falco plays vastly different than Fox. The difference is like Link to one of the other links.

Ganondorf might get a make-over in terms of attacks but aside from that, they'll return.

About freakin time Little Mac gets some playable love. Incidentally, if Little Mac is in, Mario needs his ref costume somewhere in this game. If I don't get to use Little Mac to beat up referee Mario, if only for one challenge mission thingy, I will be mildly disappointed.

Pity that Doc's voice-over is so annoying... It's a neat idea, having Doc actually coaching Mac during the fight, but having Doc call out the attacks for him like some bizarre Pokemon trainer... has its drawbacks.

Still waiting for re-confirmation of Solid Snake, Mewtwo, and Jigglypuff (c'mon Nintendo! make its Rest insane again!), and I eagerly await inclusion of Travis Touchdown, somehow. (Suda wanted it, Nintendo expressed interest in it... let's make it happen! Smash Bros could use a badass lightsaber luchador!) ...come to think of it, didn't Nintendo recently score a WiiU exclusive on another badass brawler character, who may or may not fit uniquely into the Smash Bros. formula? I think they did.

...yes, I'm talking about Bayonetta, and yes, I think she should be in Smash Bros., for no other reason than to see what form Kirby takes when copying her... and to see if he spits her out as a hairball instead of a star, because that would be hilarious.

Huh, that's actually one character I really wanted in there that I never thought would. I'm really hoping the coach will be somewhere throwing his fists around while Mac whips up a storm.

There is still something off about the movements in this game.

Dexterity:

Dedede was supposed to be in the original Smash Bros, and Melee. The only reason he wasn't is because Sakurai didn't have enough time to put him in. Dedede is one of Sakurai's favorite characters. He made the guy (Sakurai does the Kirby games) and he even voices him in Brawl. Same thing for Meta Knight, Sakurai isn't going to get rid of characters that he always wanted in the game but couldn't put in due to time constraints.

Chances are they will remove Wolf and change Falco. Sakurai said one of his goals in this game is to make each characters move set unique as possible. Ganondorf would never be kicked out. There'd be a huge backlash from fans.

64bitgamer:
Now that's a pretty cool idea. It seemed strange, until you consider Pit got in brawl and at the time, he only had a single game that was two decades old. It's a pretty big upgrade from a support character.

and then that springboarded into his own full new game

good times

I can still barely contain the joy I had when Little Mac was announced at the start of the Nintendo Direct. My family were quite annoyed as they were just starting to settle down in bed when suddenly Little Mac was announced and I was hollering my head off.

I was completely expecting a Diddy and Dixie tag-team reveal or just a character related to the DK series in some way (Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze) was released the day of the reveal in Japan). I totally did not expect Little Mac but as he is... was my 3rd most wanted character for SSB (so pleased to be able to say that) I am certainly not complaining. Interesting to see he uses the Super Punch-Out power meter as his in-game mechanic, I was expecting him to use the 3 star power system in SSB. Again, not that I mind, Little Mac is playable!

Seems like a lot of people have forgotten about Super Punch Out on the SNES.

Anyways I'm not the biggest fan but Little Mac totally looks like my guy for the new Brawl, if/when I ever get a Wii-U. I mean I actually used Balrog in Street Fighter 2, so I get to call dibs here.

I was mildly interested in playing Smash Bros U, but the more they reveal of the game the more excited I'm getting.

This latest tidbit is no different. Seeing Little Mac brought a smile to my face. Would love to try him out in the game proper.

On a side note, I thought that trailer was pretty well done. The animation was a nice touch.

Every character they add has given me even more reason to get this game

McMarbles:
So, former Assist Trophies are fair game. That means I might get Isaac!

That would be a dream come true, I would certainly settle for Felix or Matthew. Anything to get more general interest in Golden Sun would be awesome.

OT: Glad to see Little Mac too, he makes too much sense to appear in Smash Bros.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here