Little Mac Joins Super Smash Bros. 4 As a New Fighter

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Wait . . . I thought that Little Mac was already in SSB. What am I thinking of? Is he in something else besides the punchout games?

MrMixelPixel:
Ah yes, obviously coinciding with the new Punch Out!! episodes of Game Grumps. Good job Nintendo.

Just what I was thinking, it's like they were told to do it, to raise awareness of the character.

Another Hunter from Metroid would be cool, any Metroid character really, Rundas or a random space pirate, I don't care. I just want someone new to play as from that major Nintendo franchise.

Right on!

I'll definitely be playing as him with this in the background.

THE NAMES LITTLE MAC HES THE PUNCH OUT KING HE FLOATS LIKE A BUTTERFLY, STINGS LIKE A BEE!
Really though i'm super excited for little mac though every character that they show that isn't Phoenix Wright i object to.

Hero of Lime:

McMarbles:
So, former Assist Trophies are fair game. That means I might get Isaac!

That would be a dream come true, I would certainly settle for Felix or Matthew. Anything to get more general interest in Golden Sun would be awesome.

OT: Glad to see Little Mac too, he makes too much sense to appear in Smash Bros.

I'll join the queue for a GS character getting in as a fighter. Imagine getting that Judgement Summon as a final smash.

ccdohl:
Wait . . . I thought that Little Mac was already in SSB. What am I thinking of? Is he in something else besides the punchout games?

basically an ascended assist trophy

now he's ready for the big time

He's so appropriate; he's almost boring. It'll be interesting to see him there :P

capctha: "I AM CAPTCHA!" Yes Captcha... yes you are...

Frozengale:
Ganondorf would never be kicked out. There'd be a huge backlash from fans.

Because there's no way they'd want to remove people's favorite characters from their favorite franchises.

Terminate421:
No.

Meta Knight and Dedede are needed (Since Meta Knight is so popular he'll most likely return). Falco plays vastly different than Fox. The difference is like Link to one of the other links.

Ganondorf might get a make-over in terms of attacks but aside from that, they'll return.

I know the chances are they'll be back, but that doesn't mean they're needed. In Brawl, Meta Knight's move pool was so bland and he was just wasn't balanced. The only reason he's so popular is because his recovery time was so low that he could be button mashed by newbies. Also the fact that he had about 4 different moves that he could use to get back onto the stage, as well as flight.

Ah Lil Mac! Harkens back to a day when video games were actually difficult. I remember crapping my pants when I finally made it to Tyson and his one-punch KOs, his one-block weariness, his jabs that drained half your health...back when one mistake sent you back 1 hour of game play! This is/was REAL gaming.

LIL MAC!

PS- This was the only game I could ever get my dad to play with me, and he actually did respectable. He always wanted to beat up Soda Popinski, because he "cheated by drinking during a match".

I actually entered this thread to voice my hope for Issac/Felix/SOMEONE Golden Sun. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that wants Issac to join the Smash. If they added someone like that it would probably sell me on the console.

Its only just now I am realizing "how the hell hasn't he appeared in the other games?"

Oh well, he will be a fun addition to the roster, although I thought Captain Falcon was the series icon for punching, what if they clash!? Will my Wii-U explode?

Who joins what now?
My honest first reaction.

Maybe I'm not target audience :/

And now I'm seeing a challenge mode fight; DK (50% damage reduction) vs. Mac, no items, WVBA Arena.

What a greaet Intro, all it needed was Mike Tyson :)

I don't think I've played any game as much as SSB on the N64 and later Gamecube.

But the Wii controls are just too shitty for me, and the Wii U is even worse. I'm going to miss out. :(

Anyone else seeing similarities with Dudley? Like, he's got the ducking under projectiles with followups, the long range jab, cross counter, a spirally uppercut...
Not that this is a bad thing. Quite the opposite. He looks awesome!

Auron225:
He's so appropriate; he's almost boring. It'll be interesting to see him there :P

He's almost boring, but then he gets the K.O. Mechanic that seems unique to him. I wanna see how that works.

McMarbles:
So, former Assist Trophies are fair game. That means I might get Isaac!

I hope that means they can add Starfy in too!

Still, this trailer was awesome, and I've always wanted Little Mac in Smash Bros. Even though I've never played a "Punch Out!!!" Game. Can't wait for Smash Bros!

Nimcha:
I don't think I've played any game as much as SSB on the N64 and later Gamecube.

But the Wii controls are just too shitty for me, and the Wii U is even worse. I'm going to miss out. :(

Its also for the 3DS.
That's the main reason why I bought the system personally, Well, this and pokemon. I'm not sure if it's controls will be any better though.

Time will tell if deciding to publish the game for both the WiiU and 3DS was a good call by Nintendo. This game has the potential to sell a lot of WiiUs, I can't help but feel they'll loose out on some sells by people who will just get it for their 3DS.

Mr.Mattress:

I hope that means they can add Starfy in too!

Starfy was already confirmed to be an assist trophy again. :c
http://www.mariowiki.com/Assist_Trophy#Super_Smash_Bros._for_Wii_U

What I really want to know is if Nintendo is going to make DLCs to increase the game's roster after the game's initial release. I mean, they could make a fortune on DLCs when it comes to Super Smash Bros.

Story:

Nimcha:

Its also for the 3DS.

Oh superb, releasing the perfect multiplayer game on a handheld device.. >.<

Okay, screw it. This is my new Smash Bros-main.

Now this is an inspired choice, and I like it, I will start with him!

Nimcha:

Story:

Nimcha:

Its also for the 3DS.

Oh superb, releasing the perfect multiplayer game on a handheld device.. >.<

Ah, well, I can argue there is always online battles and local handheld connectivity, but yeah you have a point.
Maybe they'll have no trouble selling WiiUs during the game's launch after all?

I was so excited when I saw it!

I love the Punch Out games and little mac should have been in SSB a long time ago :D

His fighting style is right up my ally. The ssb version of balrog no fireballs, no flying around, no bullshit only fists in your face. I was dissappointed that Ike isnīt returning but this guy makes up for that.

Nimcha:

Why didn't you just use a Gamecube controller on the Wii? Exactly the same controls as the Gamecube version.

And the Wii U controls are not worse. I can say firsthand that the regular Wii U controller feels just as good as the Xbox/Playstation controllers.

And if you're really so against having a controller with a screen built in, then just invest in the Wii U pro controllers. EXACTLY the same shape as the Xbox 360 controller.

There, just solved all of your problems with the newer Smash Bros games.

Dexterity:

Nimcha:

Why didn't you just use a Gamecube controller on the Wii? Exactly the same controls as the Gamecube version.

And the Wii U controls are not worse. I can say firsthand that the regular Wii U controller feels just as good as the Xbox/Playstation controllers.

And if you're really so against having a controller with a screen built in, then just invest in the Wii U pro controllers. EXACTLY the same shape as the Xbox 360 controller.

There, just solved all of your problems with the newer Smash Bros games.

I guess I should have mentioned the controller is my biggest but not necessarily only reason I do not own a Wii or Wii U. :)

Nimcha:

I guess I should have mentioned the controller is my biggest but not necessarily only reason I do not own a Wii or Wii U. :)

The controller isn't your biggest problem, because it's not even a problem.

If you're saying you don't own a Wii or Wii U because of the controller, then I'm going to assume that you don't own any consoles because they all use essentially the same controller.

Not owning a console is fine and there's no problem with it, but don't say it's because of a non existent reason.

Dexterity:
Hopefully we get more new characters like this. I'm praying they make Lyndis from Fire Emblem a character (another former Smash Trophy). I'd love a character who revolves around battojutsu and fencing.

As of two games, I've established the pattern of what Fire Emblem characters are in Smash games.
1. Marth. (He was the protagonist of the first ever Fire Emblem.)
2. Whoever is the protagonist of the most recent FE game. (This means we're going to get Chrom/Lucina, or Robin.)

Souplex:

Dexterity:
Hopefully we get more new characters like this. I'm praying they make Lyndis from Fire Emblem a character (another former Smash Trophy). I'd love a character who revolves around battojutsu and fencing.

As of two games, I've established the pattern of what Fire Emblem characters are in Smash games.
1. Marth. (He was the protagonist of the first ever Fire Emblem.)
2. Whoever is the protagonist of the most recent FE game. (This means we're going to get Chrom/Lucina, or Robin.)

Robin won't be a character due to being a custom character.

And you never know for Chrom/Lucina. Roy was a clone of Marth who was just slightly more powerful and a bit slower. Ike has a completely different movepool to Marth.

Maybe we'll get Chrom, and I have no complaints if we do. Maybe we won't get another Fire Emblem character at all.

But regardless of what is most probable, I think the most interesting characters would be Hector and Lyndis. Let's also not forget that Eliwood and Hector were left out of Brawl almost COMPLETELY. Despite being the main protagonist of the first english handheld Fire Emblem title, all Eliwood got was a sticker. I'm not sure if Hector even got that...

Hot damn! Little Mac is finally in a Super Smash Bros game as an actual character. I love the use of new fighting tech pulled from past Punch-Out titles. Now, if we can just get an alt skin of Referee Mario. =D

Being happy over a new Smash character is always balanced by the sobering moment of seeing forum posts on the internet that always have some variant of "Hey, you know [iconic Nintendo character I don't care about]? I wish they'd remove it so they could put in [barely relevant Nintendo character I do care about]".

Really glad Mac baby got in. Punchout was one of my favorite NES games growing up.

CriticKitten:

FancyNick:
Yes! This is awesome, I always thought he'd be cool in this series. Now if only they put skull kid in, I could die a happy man.

Dendio:
Would trade ganondorf for skull kid easily

His final smash could be the moon dropping like in majoras mask

I'd prefer Ganondorf for Midna, myself. Could easily give her a unique moveset of her own that would offer a unique experience. Plus, Midna's awesome, and the closest I could arguably get to a waifu.

There's no reason to trade these characters, they would likely have completely different playsets anyway so it wouldn't be redundant to have both just because they're from the same series.

That being said, if made to choose (for some reason) Ganondorf is the more logical choice for almost every reason, he's in way more games, has an almost Bowser level of notoriety, he's a character who actually fights in the series so his attacks don't have to be completely made up, and there are different versions of him to choose from. I just think he should be modified to be more sword and magic based like most of his actual in game appearances, rather than being a Captain Falcon clone.

Olas:
-snip-

The fact that he only exists to provide a "heavier" clone of Captain Falcon is reason enough to dispose of him as a character. He's almost universally acknowledged as one of the worst characters in the last game, too, primarily because his weight utterly doomed him in most Brawl maps because of their more "mobile" natures.

To make him worthwhile and to differentiate him from Falcon, you'd have to completely revamp his character and moves anyways. He wouldn't even resemble his original form. At that point, you're better off just scrapping him and starting over with someone else.

And who better than one of the newer and more popular characters in the Zelda franchise? *shrug* Even if I didn't have a personal fondness of the character, I'd rather have her than Ganondorf. Because Brawl made him into an absolute joke, and I'm not sure they can salvage him as is. >_<

CriticKitten:
Because Brawl made him into an absolute joke, and I'm not sure they can salvage him as is. >_<

Tis why I love Project M so much because it makes Ganondorf have his Melee physics again, and as my friend demonstrated last night when we were playing he's damn deadly. 0_0
I would like for Midna to be in the game though, but more as an assist trophy because having her as a fighter I can't think of moves for her unless they were to incorporate Wolf-Link. I mean her final smash could be easy, just Midna with all the Fused Shadows and have her turn into the thing that gave me nightmares for 3 days, but move wise I can't think of much.

Personally I'm still concerned at the fact that Captain Falcon still hasn't been confirmed for the next Smash Bros because I must have my Valentine's Day Falcon! >.<
Really I'm honestly hoping the physics in this next Smash game are better than Brawl's because Brawl just left a bad taste in my mouth and made me go back to Melee until Project M came to be.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here