Dungeon Keeper Goes Free For Valentine's Day On GOG

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Dungeon Keeper Goes Free For Valentine's Day On GOG

Dungeon Keeper Valentines Day poem

The good folks at GOG are celebrating Valentine's Day with a free copy of Dungeon Keeper Gold for everyone and a pretty solid sale, too.

You have no doubt heard about EA's new free-to-play take on the classic Dungeon Keeper, which has not gone over particularly well with some critics. Our own Jim Sterling, for instance, described it as "a perversion of a respected series, twisted by some of the most soulless, selfish, and nauseating human beings to ever blight the game industry," which is maybe a bit harsh, but I can't argue with the underlying sentiment. It's just not good.

The original Dungeon Keeper was good, however, and GOG, never one to miss an opportunity to score some easy PR, has decided to vacuum up some gamer karma by giving it away as part of its Valentine's Day sale. It's Dungeon Keeper Gold, actually, which includes the Deeper Dungeons expansion pack; it also has the sequel, Dungeon Keeper 2, on sale for $1.49, and a bunch of other stuff marked down to the cheap.

Despite seeming to play on EA's rough ride with the mobile Dungeon Keeper, GOG said the free game is "courtesy of the fine folks at EA," although it's hard to say whether that's because they were involved in the decision to give it away or just happened to be the company that originally published the thing. Either way, free game! And some other good deals, too - but only until 6 am EST on February 16.

Source: GOG

Now you can get Dungeon keeper without giving EA a single cent. God bless you GoG : )

Yep stick it in EA's eye. GG gog.

GOG just exploded from demand of this nice little gift.

God bless you GOG.

EDIT: And DK2 for $1.50. I'm speechless.

well EA isnt a monolith that requires job applicants to tick the "yes i am evil" box when they apply to work there so its quite possible its someone with enough push in the PC side being willing to do it because they are sick of the mobile practices

Scrumpmonkey:
Now you can get Dungeon keeper without giving EA a single cent. God bless you GoG : )

My thoughts exactly.

I really hope EA had nothing to do with this giveaway. I like my mental image of a corporate douche at EA seeing this article and then his head just exploding from the shock. XD

They couldn't have done this without EA's permission - credit should be given when it's due.

I'm not a fan of the series, but I guess providing everyone with a free copy of the original classic after releasing that pay-to-wait crap does seem like a step in the right direction.

I only played a bit of the demo many years ago, but I might give it a try now that GOG gave us free copies.

Well guess its finally time to buy stuff off GOG, I really put it off for far to long

Well guess its finally time to buy stuff off GOG, I really put it off for far to long

Doom972:
I'm not a fan of the series, but I guess providing everyone with a free copy of the original classic after releasing that pay-to-wait crap does seem like a step in the right direction.

It might be a step in the right direction but only after they took a long haul flight in the wrong direction first. If they had done this as a marketing stunt for a not-shit mobile version of the game, then we could praise EA for changing their wicked, wicked ways and giving people access to a classic PC game DRM free. But they are doing it to make up for a mistake, which is good but could be better.

CriticalMiss:

Doom972:

It might be a step in the right direction but only after they took a long haul flight in the wrong direction first. If they had done this as a marketing stunt for a not-shit mobile version of the game, then we could praise EA for changing their wicked, wicked ways and giving people access to a classic PC game DRM free. But they are doing it to make up for a mistake, which is good but could be better.

I absolutely agree. I made that reply with the comments praising GOG doing this against EA's will in mind.

hOLY SHITKNOBS PLANESCAPE TORMENT FOR TWO BUCKS OH MY DEAR SWEET SATAN FUCKS YEAH

Ahem.

Yes, this is indubitably a good deal. Never played Dungeon Keeper, but I hear good things.

Yeah, I didn't mention it because I think I mention it, like, every damned time, but GOG's entire D&D lineup is on sale for some pretty screamingly good prices too. If you don't already have Planescape, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc., now is probably the time to rectify that situation.

Too bad none of the knobs who rated DK mobile as 5 star will ever hear or care about this deal so they can learn how wrong they were.

well I won't complain about free, but its a shame absolutely nothing about the original DK has aged gracefully.

So you can get DK *and* DK2 for less than the price of mining a single block in the mobile game. Niiice.

Man, fifteen posts and not a single joke about which Dungeon Keeper is really "free to play". You disappoint me, Escapists.

Gods, these guys know good PR

holy crap been playing Metal Slug 3 with the gf and now DK 1 & 2 best v-day ever

OMFG THEY HAVE TOTAL ANNIHILATION TOO !!!! ive had the commanders pack on my shelve for years unable to play it. Still one of the best rts games ever.

I go there to pick up Dungeon Keeper, and leave with the entirety of the D&D pack minus Planescape since I already had that one. GOG y u so based?

thank gog for god!

wait...

Well time to play Baldur's Gate, Planescape torment and Dungeon keeper and get those off my list of games I need to play. Ahh GoG just another reason I love my pc.

From the site

You'll get your game soon! Minion, due to high demand, we will tell you when your free copy of Dungeon Keeper is ready via email in a little bit.

Who would have thought that could happen?

Got the email with 3 or so minutes though, they got some quick monkeys working there.

Luckily i am not the least bit interested in all the rest of they stuff they are offering, cheap day for me =D

Downloading as I type, what a fine place this GOG is.

They had the STALKER series listed earlier this week at 70% off. After all the DRM issues I had with the retail versions of those games, it was an easy sale.

I've made it a point to check GoG for games before even steam... DRMless = instant sale for me

Johnson McGee:
Too bad none of the knobs who rated DK mobile as 5 star will ever hear or care about this deal so they can learn how wrong they were.

I would theorise that most of the "people" who rated the mobile version of DK 5-stars can probably be traced back to a single laptop operated by a guy who is "most definatley, 100%, OFFICIALLY not on EA's payroll". But that is just my miserable cynic talking.

OT: Things like this really remind me why i am such a fan of GOG. Pretty much all of my PC gaming is GOG centric these days as they are sadly the only company that seems to accept that DRM is an anti-consumer practice and appreciate that this leads to an unsustainable business model.

I've been on the fence about getting Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2 for a while...I guess my decision has now been made for me. XD Just a $1.50 for both? ::downloads:: Thanks, GoG! And EA I guess, since they probably approved it. Yeah...

Awesome GOG is grand they have some some great sales to boot

Awesome deals all round. I already own both Dungeon Keeper game and most of the DnD games from gog sales but then you had to put Alpha Centuri among many other great games on sale as well didn't you? Just couldn't let my wallet be :P

Spend 24 hours playing Dungeon Keeper instead of waiting 24 hours to dig a block out.

Well I downloaded and played it for a bit.

After 60 minutes I must admit, it's not as good as I remember it. Games have come a long way since dungeon keeper. At one moment, for example, I was suddenly overwhelmed by the local lord of the realm and his ragtag team of heroes and I had to actually deal with this in action packed real time.

Then later I started to realise that I had already finished the level. It just felt like there was nothing at stake.

If only there was some way that the gameplay could be slowed down, or I could invest-to-play somehow, that would really improve the experience.

I'm downloading this right now, out of principal.

Well, considering I lost my copies of DK 1 and 2 some time ago, and considering that the ENTIRELY justified hatred toward EA over that travesty of a game they shat out has got me in the mood to play some DK again, this is absolutely a no-brainer for me. Currently downloading DK 2 right now (and I'll get 1 as soon as I get the email saying it's ready for me to download).

Although this does raise a question in my mind: Which is better, 1 or 2? I was always more of a fan of 2 myself, but some seem to prefer 1. Any opinions on this, Escapist?

Also:

deathbydeath:
Man, fifteen posts and not a single joke about which Dungeon Keeper is really "free to play". You disappoint me, Escapists.

Give this man a cookie.

Doom972:
They couldn't have done this without EA's permission - credit should be given when it's due.

I suspect that GOG's distribution contract gives them a lot of leeway and lets them do stuff like this if they feel like it. Just like how it allows them to modify the games as they see fit and sell them without region restrictions. Since 90% of their catalog is old, out-of-print games that publishers have stopped caring about, they're OK with signing it because anything they'd make from it at this point is essentially free money anyway. And because it wouldn't be in GOG's best interests to pull stunts like this on anything close to a regular basis.

dunam:
Well I downloaded and played it for a bit.

After 60 minutes I must admit, it's not as good as I remember it. Games have come a long way since dungeon keeper. At one moment, for example, I was suddenly overwhelmed by the local lord of the realm and his ragtag team of heroes and I had to actually deal with this in action packed real time.

Then later I started to realise that I had already finished the level. It just felt like there was nothing at stake.

If only there was some way that the gameplay could be slowed down, or I could invest-to-play somehow, that would really improve the experience.

Hehe. Very good.

OT: Man, and I just paid 3 bucks for it a week ago! Oh well, one less cup of coffee for the week.

Leemaster777:
Although this does raise a question in my mind: Which is better, 1 or 2? I was always more of a fan of 2 myself, but some seem to prefer 1. Any opinions on this, Escapist?

Having spent the last 2 hours playing these gems, I still can't decide wich one is better, DK2 is pretty much the same as the first one, but "prettier" and DK1 certainly shows it's age, particularly if you're using the default DosBox method of GOG (I used this sensible post on how to slightly upgrade the game).

Both games are lots of fun, but the first one certainly could benefit from some of the stuff that was slightly streamlined in the second game, but both are excellent games nonetheless.

Personally, I prefer DK2 for being slightly prettier and easier to get into.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here