Power Vacuum: Dyson and Samsung Get Nasty Over Patents

Power Vacuum: Dyson and Samsung Get Nasty Over Patents

It's gone from suck, to blow!

Samsung and Dyson are now suing one another, in what might be the biggest news in vacuuming since that Oreck fellow started slinging his sucker on television.

Samsung and Dyson Vacuums

It all started five months ago when England-based Dyson sued Samsung for copying its canister vacuum. Specifically, Dyson claimed that Samsung had ripped off a steering mechanism design used in the latter's Motion Sync cleaner. Sir James Dyson, the engineer and founder of his namesake company, called Samsung's product a "cynical rip-off."

Five months pass, and now Samsung is counter-suing Dyson for over USD $9.4 million, as it claims the original patent suit has "hurt Samsung's corporate image," making the South Korean electronics giant look like a copycat. "Samsung's marketing activities were negatively affected by Dyson's groundless litigation, which is intolerable," said the same Samsung spokesperson.

It's hard to deny the similarity between the Dyson and Samsung vacuums (pictured above), but will we ever see a verdict. The end result could likely be some sort of cross-licensing deal, as is commonplace in the tech world.

Are you on Team Dyson? Team Samsung? Team Jacob? Let us know in the forums!

What? Does Samsung think their product exists in a vacuum? Also, I had no idea that Samsung even made these. I guess you got to find anyway you can to suck money from the consumer.

Excellent...my vacuum pun scheme is going exactly as planned!

Of all IP laws, patents are probably the most broken ones. Trademarks and copyrights make sense at their core, even if they recently got overtly pushy, but patents are becoming worse than useless, as we are running out of straightforward, simply describeable tools to invent. From now on, innovation is all high-tech R&D (which isn't valued by it's exclusivity anyways), and marketing-oriented design (that is covered by trademarks anyways).

If Samsung really did rip off the design there is no way they will win without a corrupt Judge, Dyson patent every single little part of their products. Not just the obvious stuff but tiny little details of how it all fits together and any feature that isnt already an industry standard.

I can't help but laugh at this.

I know this is important to these guys somehow, but to me they're fucking VACUUM CLEANERS.

It's like 2 broom makers going at it.

Team Samsung all the way here.

While an argument could be made that Samsung infringed on Dyson's vacuum core design (the part that actually sucks) because they are similar, saying they stole the steering mechanism is just plain uninformed.

I see these 2 vacuums almost every day at work, I've demo'd both more times than I can remember, Samsung's steering and movement design is infinitely superior, I would have trouble finding anything similar between the 2.

Sounds more like Dyson is butthurt that Samsung put more money into R&D and made a better moving and smoother feeling vacuum.

Samsung always seems to be getting sued by somebody, I just find it hard to believe that a company that spent the second most money on R&D in the world, second only to Volkswagen, would have to rip so many companies off.

It wouldn't take $10.4Bn to copy people's ideas and designs - It is entirely possible that 2 (or more) companies have come up with a similar solution to the same problem.. because, you know, sometimes there is only 1 true solution to a problem.

But back on-topic, I really don't see how the 2 steering mechanism's could be considered the same, unless Dyson are talking about some totally unseen component on the inside that has nothing to do with actual performance.

Alterego-X:
Of all IP laws, patents are probably the most broken ones. Trademarks and copyrights make sense at their core, even if they recently got overtly pushy, but patents are becoming worse than useless, as we are running out of straightforward, simply describeable tools to invent. From now on, innovation is all high-tech R&D (which isn't valued by it's exclusivity anyways), and marketing-oriented design (that is covered by trademarks anyways).

You couldn't be more wrong. I've worked with a number of inventors who've worked on their own to make an invention that actually received patent protection. Patents serve an incredible useful function by providing incentive for invetors to disclose their inventions to the public which then spurn further inventions.

Well, since I HAVE heard about the Dyson Vacuum Cleaner and NEVER about one from Samsung, I'm gonna say the point goes to the vacuum named after an inverted world.

Can you seriously sue someone on the sole grounds that they sued you?

Matt K:
Patents serve an incredible useful function by providing incentive for invetors to disclose their inventions to the public which then spurn further inventions.

Yes, they do, don't they? Best Freudian typo I've seen in a looong time...

Devin Connors:

Five months pass, and now Samsung is counter-suing Dyson for over USD $9.4 million, as it claims the original patent suit has "hurt Samsung's corporate image,"

Which ironically in my eyes lowers my image of Samsung more than any sort of copyright infringement.

Matt K:

You couldn't be more wrong. I've worked with a number of inventors who've worked on their own to make an invention that actually received patent protection. Patents serve an incredible useful function by providing incentive for invetors to disclose their inventions to the public which then spurn further inventions.

What did these people invent? The light bulb? The telephone?

You are tautologically defending their innovation's value by saying that it "actually received patent protection", but my point is exactly that the things that nowadays receive patent protection are undeserving, as they are either evolutionary steps in a R&D process that corporations would be incentivized anyways just to stay in the race, or random mutations of pre-existing basic ideas, like this vacuum cleaner here. It's not about a useful invention that society needs any more, but about a branded styles and designs.

Huh, until just now I never heard of a Samsung vacuum cleaner. Thanks to Dyson taking a page out of Apple's current corporate relation's handbook, I now know they do make vacuums. Good job Dyson. I now have more better choices to choose from than your overpriced suckers.

In fact, Dyson is kinda like Apple. The make a product that costs $600 dollars where as most of their competitors have comparable models that cost around $150. And Dyson seems to also have the Apple style brand loyalty to the point I've heard of several people buying a Dyson every 2 years because their old one broke. (Again. Their $600 vacuum breaks every couple years, so they buy from the same company that makes the shoddy things because they think they're high quality.) I got an 5 year old cheap Shark that is still going strong.

I'd bet a Samsucker will last longer, too. My ooooolld Galaxy is still working with no cracked screen despite the 4 years of of constant abuse and Gs that would make a fighter pilot queasy. Samsung does make their electronics to last. They just get obsolete in a year.

Well, we all know the only sane way to solve this problem, in a way that will appease both sides.
Select a champion and then go toe to toe in a bare-knuckles cage fighting match.
Whoever's vacuum soaks up all the blood off the carpet floor wins!

http://crossmap.christianpost.com/news/samsung-lawsuit-with-dyson-dismissed-british-manufacturer-dyson-unlikely-to-win-6844

sort of uh

an important part of the story

that isn't mentioned in the article at all

Devin Connors:
Excellent...my vacuum pun scheme is going exactly as planned!

I dunno - I'm not really a fan of it, myself. These sort of things just leave me in the dust.

Great Spaceballs reference Devin.

Well, considering I've been familiar with that Dyson design for ages and have never heard of the Samsung vacuum cleaner, I would have thought Dyson would be the clear winner. The Samsung looks like a blatant rip-off.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here