Pixar Artist Launching "Children's" Book Based on R-Rated Films

Pixar Artist Launching "Children's" Book Based on R-Rated Films

Pixar artist Josh Cooley's Movies R Fun! is launching to Amazon on February 25th.

As the father of a young daughter, I'm going to go ahead and say that children's books can, at times, be slightly less enjoyable than chewing on thumb tacks. Don't get me wrong, I adore my child and I'll happily indulge her desire to read and reread (and then some) that Elmo book she's obsessed with this week. That said, there's a part of me that really wishes we could just sit down and watch Alien together. That said, parents like me may soon have some options.

While you might think that working at Pixar might keep a person busy, storyboard artist Josh Cooley has managed the time to create a collection of illustrations based on R-rated films and done in the style of a children's book. This collection, was, in turn, transformed into an actual book (Movies R Fun!) that's now set to release at Amazon on February 25th. The book will include scenes from Alien, Rosemary's Baby, Fargo, Basic Instinct, Seven, The Silence of the Lambs, Apocalypse Now, The Shining and more. Put shortly, it's pretty glorious stuff and it can all be yours for about $13 if you pre-order it.

In all seriousness, you're probably not going to want to show Movies R Fun! to your kids. After all, adult content is adult content regardless of whether it's splayed across a high-definition big screen or on the pages of a story book. Even so, it's hard not to feel some temptation to order this and sit down with my toddler for a bit of quality time. It might be traumatizing quality time, but at least we'd still be making memories.

Source: BuzzFeed

:slowclap:
This is great, but I swear I've seen this before, at this site.

O_o

As far as I'm concerned, this book isn't complete until there is a page for Riki-Oh.

The was pretty cool to see Leon the professional in there.

That bloke has good taste.

No Robocop and/or The Thing?... I am dissapoint.

But seriously, this is friggin' awesome!, I WANT IT!.

I DARE YOU. I DOUBLE DARE YOU.

Lost my composure on the first image.

I gotta get my hands on this for my future kids. These movies are classics.

The Drive one killed me.

I happily support this.

Don't know what 17 is, I'm guessing #4 is Drive or something like that. Liked all the other ones though. Needs a few more sci-fi classics - Aliens, The Thing, Robocop, Terminator (the original), maybe even Event Horizon. I could see some room for more Quentin Tarantino (Kill Bill) and Martin Scorcese (The Departed) while we're at it.

Now I see why Pixar uses computer generated images for their movies instead of traditional pen & pencil animation.

Just because he works for Pixar doesn't mean he's an "artist".

"WRRRRRRRRRRR" went the woodchipper.

Love the idea. I'm not a huge fan of the art though.

Time to make a little psychological experiment.

MarsAtlas:
Don't know what 17 is, I'm guessing #4 is Drive or something like that. Liked all the other ones though. Needs a few more sci-fi classics - Aliens, The Thing, Robocop, Terminator (the original), maybe even Event Horizon. I could see some room for more Quentin Tarantino (Kill Bill) and Martin Scorcese (The Departed) while we're at it.

There actually is one for the original Terminator. I had to cut a few images to fit the gallery however and the one with the illustrated Ahnold ass seemed a good choice. :/

The the first studio filing a lawsuit against this will be...?

I can't imagine they went and got the book rights, or character likeness rights, etc. for all of these films.

StewShearer:
As the father of a young daughter, I'm going to go ahead and say that children's books can, at times, be slightly less enjoyable than chewing on thumb tacks. Don't get me wrong, I adore my child and I'll happily indulge her desire to read and reread (and then some) that Elmo book she's obsessed with this week.

In all seriousness, may I suggest you check out Mo Willems? He seems to have come from a generation of Sesame Street writers when they understood they had to entertain kids and prevent adults who were watching in the background from going bonkers, and series like "Elephant and Piggie" and books like "Edwina, the Dinosaur Who Didn't Know She Was Extinct" fit that description perfectly.

I love this and not sure about anyone else but I really like the art style. I think it works well with conveying the original films whilst still looking Pixar/kid book illustration.

The Drive one was the one that sent me over the edge.

Tanis:
:slowclap:
This is great, but I swear I've seen this before, at this site.

O_o

You have - third paragraph of article, link.

This collection, was, in turn, transformed into an actual book (Movies R Fun!)..

I love the art and that guy has awesome taste. Right movies, right scenes

Only one I can't seem to figure out is #10.

Overall, pretty cool though. I think my favorite is the Se7en one. Really captured the moment.

The artistic talent is college-grade level at best.

Really not seeing the appeal of this guy. "Works at Pixar" isn't good enough.

Everyone else thinks that No Country For Old Men Anton looks like Harsh Food Critic From Ratatouille Anton, right?

This would actually make a great present to my brother in law who's a major film freak and has two young children. Too bad I can't order from american Amazon, and I doubt I'll get it locally...

Neta:
The artistic talent is college-grade level at best.

Really not seeing the appeal of this guy. "Works at Pixar" isn't good enough.

He's the janitor.

This won't be appealing to children, but it will be appealing to self-indulgent media-saturated parents who use their children to facilitate their own desires. This book should sell well.

briankoontz:
This won't be appealing to children, but it will be appealing to self-indulgent media-saturated parents who use their children to facilitate their own desires. This book should sell well.

It's not meant for kids in the first place.
It's for people who like these movies and enjoy this kind of parody.

If someone actually buys it for their kids they are being kinda dumb.

I mean, it's just scenes without context. Unless you have already seen the movies, why would you care about them?

briankoontz:

It's as much actually meant for children as http://littlestlovecraft.com/ is (although Littlest Lovecraft takes it a step further by trying to adapt the source to match the structure of a children's book -- personally wish they'd do "The Quest of Iranon" since it's my favorite bit of H.P. Lovecraft's works and has an almost poetic flow to it already).

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here