World of Warcraft Paid Level 90 Boost Will Cost $60

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

World of Warcraft Paid Level 90 Boost Will Cost $60

For a $60 fee, you'll be able to instantly boost one of your World of Warcraft characters to level 90.

For a few minutes after the World of Warcraft servers came back up from maintenance, a glitch allowed players to access the upcoming, officially unreleased in-game store, showing that unless Blizzard comes out and announces otherwise, paid level 90 boosts will set you back $60 a piece.

When Blizzard first announced its upcoming World of Warcraft expansion pack: Warlords of Dreanor, one of the promised features was the one-off ability to instantly boost a single character to level 90, no doubt meant to coax back old players who haven't played the game for an expansion or two. We later learned that Blizzard was experimenting with additional, paid level 90 boosts, and it now looks like they have made a decision.

It's likely that the paid level 90 boosts will go live at the same time pre-orders open for Warlords of Dreanor (thus giving pre-order customers a free level 90 boost), which according to Blizzard will, of course, be "Soon™".

We have reached out to Blizzard for confirmation on the paid level 90 boost's cost.

So there you have it, boosting your character to level 90, unlike a faction or race change, is pretty much past what we can call honestly a "microtransaction" with a straight face. There's nothing "micro" about $60, as it's more or less the price of a full, new game. It's even more than the actual expansion costs.

Is the journey from 1 to 90 so tedious that you would be willing to drop $60 on skipping it? Do you think the boost price is fair, or do you think it should be a bit lower?

Source: MMO Champion

So it's gonna cost 60 euro in the european countries in other words(since all companies think 1 dollar equals one euro because reasons and greed)? I was kinda hoping it wasn't this nuts, but it is their call. It comes across as stupid, but it is still their call.

I can also see plenty of reasons why someone might use this thing even at that price. At some point you've just seen the 1-90 grind so many times that you just can't make yourself to do it again. Outland especially is very dated and annoying to deal with nowadays even if the environment is still pretty to look at.

That said I got enough 90ies to not bother with this offer as it stands anytime soon.

Keep in mind this price is probably to challenge power leveling services and mostly likely to not be so low to be seen as a money grub for people to get a near-max of every class easily.

Steven Bogos:
Is the journey from 1 to 90 so tedious that you would be willing to drop $60 on skipping it? Do you think the boost price is fair, or do you think it should be a bit lower?

Yes, I'd use this service if I didn't already have all the maxed characters I wanted, because if there's one thing I hated about WoW, it was the leveling, I enjoy playing with my friends at max level, I don't enjoy dumping many hours just to get there.

A small, cynical part of me wonders if this 'maintenance glitch' giving brief access to the store wasn't a cunning ploy on Blizzard's part to test the waters for that price, see how much fallout it generates.

At any rate, for my two cents I think is $60 is ridiculous. I used to play pretty heavily and I'm not gonna go back again because I enjoy having a life too much, but if I was that way inclined I would never pay that much.

This is such a scummy move. Just make fucking servers with max characters if you can't make the areas good enough for people to enjoy leveling through. I drew the line with this game when they brought in the mounts you can pay for, but this so much worse.

I already know there are people who like this sort of crap, but there is nothing you can say that can defend this.

I'd like to take this time to remind people of an MMO called Dark Age of Camelot. Where once you got a character to it's max level ANY alt character on that account could instantly be leveled to max. But hey wherever Activision and Blizzard can make money they can make money. I can see a lot of people being peer pressured in terms of guilds to basically have all characters just to make sure they can always raid.

Is it only me that is not unnoyed with the height of the price,but by the very fact that services like this that ask you to pay money to advance in the game exist ?
"Oh hey,so you want to be good in our game but you suck or are bored playing it ? Fine,pay us some money so you can say you cleared it,without even playing it!"
:/

Actually, this has been a mined price and there's a chance of it not being final.

In any case, the developers claim the boost was largely in response to the theoretical issue of players buying the game multiple times and merging accounts (Since you get one of these boosts for free with the expansion). My concern with the 60$ price tag is whether or not it's a cheaper solution, otherwise that angle is wasted.

Overall, it's easy to assume that this is a short-term cash grab at the expense of long-term viability, but I don't have a full grasp on the economics surrounding WoW (The game's sub numbers, for example, are said to fluctuate wildly depending on points in an expansions life cycle). Mechanically, it's not much different from when Death Knights were implemented, so discussion should remain centred on the economics.

For example, the price might be at that so as to be prohibitive, but if it's too prohibitive then it's not sound design. Again, if it's availability is in response to a possible exploit, is the price meant to be conducive to those people who might consider such an excessive investment? And, if so... Why not just let them buy the game anyways?

Stavros Dimou:
Is it only me that is not unnoyed with the height of the price,but by the very fact that services like this that ask you to pay money to advance in the game exist ?
"Oh hey,so you want to be good in our game but you suck or are bored playing it ? Fine,pay us some money so you can say you cleared it,without even playing it!"
:/

Looked at that way it's annoying, but this is more aimed at people who left the game and want to get back into the action but are too burned out to go through the full levelling process again. The service offered is answering a legit need, they've just gotten greedy on the pricing.

I haven't played WoW in ages, but my 2 cent to that:
I would like to say that I think it's wrong to get a level 90 char just like that, because so you (maybe) actually don't know how play that char/class. But on the other hand already in "my WoW days" there were so many people having "no life" and playing incredible amount of time with their char/class ... and still didn't get the hang of it, how they have to play it correctly. So there is no difference there!

Also:
Yeah, level 90 ... do you get any items with that or are you an naked end-level guy/girl?

Well, I kinda like this. It should be expensive to take the cheap (Hah!) route. You don't want to spend a day or two power leveling your character? Fine, buy this, but it'll cost you. And it should cost you. The easiest route should be discouraged.

Sort of a ridiculous price, but then I guess it could be higher, all things considered. Is it worth the skip? Depends on who you ask - most people that play MMORPGs feel that games don't really pick up until the end-game content anyway, so for those people that want to jump straight into their favorite part, it might be worth it.

Personally, I'm one of those that feels the best bits of the game come from achieving max level; although I do a bit of end-game content myself, getting there is a lot of the fun for me. So I think that skipping it would feel bizarre. I have no idea what you would do for money in order to outfit such a character if you did.

Geisterkarle:

Also:
Yeah, level 90 ... do you get any items with that or are you an naked end-level guy/girl?

You get Greens, based upon your specs. If I am correct, but not sure, you get two main professions on lvl 600 (current max) and you will probably start at a phased out zone, where you will learn the basics of your class.

The price Is expensive, and I will probably never buy it, but I am glad that it isn't cheap, because this will stop people of abusing it and playing a class they never learned properly.

Great idea, actually. If there's one way to combat gold farmers it's to offer the EXACT SAME SERVICE.

$60 is steep? Depends on how you look at it. How many hours does it take to level a character from 1-90? Now divide 60 by that number and that's how much you're paying for in services/hour. If it rounds out to about $5/hour that's a damn good deal - depending, of course, how much your time is worth.

blackdwarf:

Geisterkarle:

Also:

You get Greens, based upon your specs. If I am correct, but not sure, you get two main professions on lvl 600 (current max) and you will probably start at a phased out zone, where you will learn the basics of your class.

The price Is expensive, and I will probably never buy it, but I am glad that it isn't cheap, because this will stop people of abusing it and playing a class they never learned properly.

ILvl 483 greens, prof's only get boosted if the character getting boosted is over lvl60 (only primary prof's and first aid get buffed, not cooking or fishing AFAIK).

Soooo... you buy the game, buy subscription, and then pay 60$ to NOT PLAY the game? Sounds very convenient. Can I pay 100$ and make someone else play it for me? I would login once a week and inspect my new items, stats and mounts.

And so marks the end of WoW. It's usually a bad sign when a game allows you to pay extra to not play it. Can you imagine how many noobs you're gonna find at level 90.

The cost is about 6 months worth of game time. So let's break this down. The paid leveling which basically means I don't have to play the majority of the game, will cost as much as an actual AAA game per character.

So for the cost of playing a game that's actually fun and interesting I could pay to not play a game that I obviously find boring and tedious (otherwise why would you want to skip so much content?). And this is just for one character.

Tenmar:
I can see a lot of people being peer pressured in terms of guilds to basically have all characters just to make sure they can always raid.

If someone gets into that situation without telling the guild/guild-leader to either go bolt, or to foot the bill - the guild isn't the only party with a problem. "You want me to do what? How about you give me a boot in the testicles while we're at it?" /gquit.

Abomination:
snip

Actually a sensible way of looking at things. I'm not sure why people are getting so angry at Blizz for this. Yes, it can be thought of as expensive. No-one is reasonably forcing anyone to go through with it. If someone wants to pay even more to not play the game then that's their prerogative. A fool and his money, as they say.

Eh, if you are going "Pay to Win", I'd rather the price be high enough to discourage it so I'm cool with this.

And so marks the last time I will ever subscribe to WoW. I understand the argument that this is all optional and unimportant in the grand scheme of things but paying to skip content means blizz have no motivation to (say) update outland back into step with the rest of the game. Hell, it encourages making the grind unbearable because they get more money that way.

It's not that I expect this to be the case, it's that I refuse to be part of a system that encourages paying to skip gameplay and also charges you for the privilege of playing the game in the first place. I just don't trust Blizzard in the slightest anymore.

$60?!? That's insane! I really hope that this price is just a place holder because that is not worth it // $60 is four months sub and getting a character to 90 takes a lot less than four months so you're not getting your monies worth

-M

I can find quite a few things wrong with this, even if you class the boost as ok.

For a start, how is this supposed to get old players back? Personally, I'm discouraged from going back because the most recent expansion I have is Cataclysm. I'd have to buy the Pandara expansion as well as pay for a month's subscription to even get back into the game. I sure as hell wouldn't want to pay that much to level a character a little bit. I can imagine others are like that as well.

Also, shouldn't the price depend on what level you are?

So it is a flat fee for everyone? What if someone has a level 50 character they want to boost, still the same price as boosting a level 1? Seems a bit odd to me.

I just love how 90% of the complaints here are about the price...did MMO's just become all about endgame content? is there no-one out there anymore who actually enjoyed Deadmines or any of the other low/mid level dungeons?

This pissses me of mostly because it caters to the 'Endgame is All' crowd, which imo is a far more toxic attitude than 'Pay to Win'. Going from what they say, why bother with levelling at all?

In other words, play the damn game or you have to pay for it a second time.

Kay.

I give no shits about this. It took me...what, less than 3 days to get a character to 70? And I wasn't even trying all that hard?

Only scam artists with credit card details or spoiled rich kids would even consider this an option.

I always find it funny when a game treats skipping large parts of the game as a reward.

Well, what'd you expect from Actiblizzion, really?

Quellist:
This pissses me of mostly because it caters to the 'Endgame is All' crowd, which imo is a far more toxic attitude than 'Pay to Win'. Going from what they say, why bother with levelling at all?

If you want to skip the leveling process and are prepared to pay $60 then do so. If not, don't.

I fail to see how giving people an OPTION is a bad thing. It's not as though they're taking away any of the leveling quests, gear, dungeon finders, flight paths, cheap mounts or anything else.

Level 90-100 isn't going to be something anyone can do without any thought process. It's a procedure that will force you to learn your class.

If your players want to pay to skip content, you're doing something wrong.

MeChaNiZ3D:
I always find it funny when a game treats skipping large parts of the game as a reward.

You've gotta understand, WoW is nearing a decade old this year. Everyone and their mother has leveled a character through it. ...Literally in my case. Awarding a character closer to the end game (as they are going to for all those purchasing WoD) is really all they've got to pull the most casual players back in, and end game is where the majority of the playerbase spend their time. Leveling, while great, is a temporary state. It's ALWAYS a temporary state, whether you've had an alt who's sat at level 60 for 8 years, one day...it's gonna end.

This is why Cataclysm failed in the long run quite spectacularly, there was a halved focus on end game, and what happened when the remarkably brief climb from 80 to 85 ended?

People were left trying to chew the extremely challenging dungeon and raid content and not left with much else. They gave up. They were disappointed, and left.

With Mists of Pandaria they went all out guns blazing on new content for all levels (pet battling) and mostly the end game (more world bosses, rares, daily content, progressive story patch to patch, easier raid access, scenarios, challenge mode dungeons) to do. And I feel like slowly more and more it's stemmed the flow of sub loss. It was like a bandaid. And has kept people interested despite the naysayers who believe that standing near a panda for 5 minutes will have them contract herpes. (Hell several of my guildies who left in cataclysm have now made triumphant returns)

WoW isn't a game that can be measured in it's leveling experience, because the hole at the bottom of the ride is waaay too vast and deep, you can't tell where a player will end up spending their time.

And look at it this way, that price tag is way too much for a starting player, they'll simply ignore it and just level.
If it's a returning player, they get a free 90 anyway. No harm no foul.
If it's a still playing player...well they'd have to have more money than sense since leveling a character to 90 is barely any time investment at all and alot of us enjoy the climb.
If it's the pro's? They'll probably pool together for a required alt as they always do, and the service is now open to them.

Edit:

Peace Frog:
If your players want to pay to skip content, you're doing something wrong.

They don't. Everyone has done the content. EVERYONE. If you're a brand new player to WoW at this point you are a unicorn. And will likely level through it naturally anyway. Because that price tag is silly nuggets. Read above for more info on this.

Abomination:

Quellist:

If you want to skip the leveling process and are prepared to pay $60 then do so. If not, don't.

I fail to see how giving people an OPTION is a bad thing. It's not as though they're taking away any of the leveling quests, gear, dungeon finders, flight paths, cheap mounts or anything else.

Level 90-100 isn't going to be something anyone can do without any thought process. It's a procedure that will force you to learn your class.

Your class that you should have been learning from level 1...

How its a bad thing is it reduces the pool of players at lower levels, making it hard for the lowbies to find teams to do instances or simply level. If you have a sizable portion of your players skipping 90 levels those 90 levels are going to be less and less populated, pushing many who wouldnt have otherwise considered it toward buying that level skip simply to have more people to team with.

Wait, so they've added a way to pay for you to skip the game? thats quite novel. Paying to get rid of most of the game is certainly a new spin on DLC that adds more game.

I'm not surprised at the price in the least. Especially not after noticing their pricing for everything from Battle Pets/Mounts to things like Race/Faction/Server Changes with lots of restrictions and few to no deals - For example, Server Transfers only allow up to a certain amount of gold to be transferred on a single character which is much, much lower than the amount of gold that can be held by a single character, someone who was looking to transfer servers with all their gold was looking at over 200.

As far as the actual service goes, paying to get into the current content - On the surface seems fine, with how dull the leveling process can be (Especially if you want to swap mains part way through an expansion) having the option to spend a bit of cash to get into current content a lot quicker (Since you'll only have to do WoD leveling and then you can start gearing for your Raids/PvP)

But, with how many complete noobs you'll find at max level already, who have no clue how to play their class - Allowing those people with more money than sense to get MORE characters to max level to utterly fail at playing them might make certain activities like LFD and LFR unbearable outside Wednesdays/Thursdays (When most good people are playing their mains so the groups tend to be significantly better)

Will I use this service?

Not a chance. Not only can I level 1-90 in less than a day at this point (Hooray for Heirlooms 45% Experience boost, Guild 10% Experience Boost, Elixir of Ancient Knowledge 300% Experience Boost and heavily nerfed Experience Requirements) but I also have all classes at relatively high levels, aside for some that I re-rolled multiple times.

@Quellist That's just it though, with a price tag that high, you really think skipping the leveling process is going to be something anyone but the most dedicated raiders or pvpers are going to be doing anyway? Because I'm telling ya now, I'm not going to be. And no one I know except that one dude who implied his top 100+ ranked raiding guild might pool together for a few alts, would even bother.

Wookie 1:
Wait, so they've added a way to pay for you to skip the game? thats quite novel. Paying to get rid of most of the game is certainly a new spin on DLC that adds more game.

...Youuuuu don't understand quite where and why most WoW players spend their time...do ya. Well Blizzard's got a fairly good view and it's naaaught so much their leveling system.

Quellist:

Abomination:

Quellist:

Your class that you should have been learning from level 1...

I don't see how there is any practical difference between learning a class at level 1 and learning a class at level 90. Being level 1 just drip feeds you your abilities and presents you with a lot easier enemies. 90 ups the tempo significantly, and at the same time if you're going to just buy a level 90 toon you probably have a rudimentary understanding of the mechanics of another class anyway and there's a lot similar between all classes in the game.

How its a bad thing is it reduces the pool of players at lower levels, making it hard for the lowbies to find teams to do instances or simply level. If you have a sizable portion of your players skipping 90 levels those 90 levels are going to be less and less populated, pushing many who wouldnt have otherwise considered it toward buying that level skip simply to have more people to team with.

Reduced number of players only affects leveling through dungeons, not through questing as there are next to no group-leveling quests anymore. There are also still dungeons at level 90-100 to level in and get experience there. The problems you are listing are either fabricated or you're exaggerating the effect this will have and assuming every man and his dog will fork out the $60.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here