Fox News Links Dark Souls to "Craigslist Killer"

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Fox News Links Dark Souls to "Craigslist Killer"

Fox News Dark Souls cap

Fox News says "Craiglist Killer" Miranda Barbour is known to have an "affinity" for Dark Souls.

Miranda Barbour, dubbed the "Craigslist Killer" for stabbing to death a man she and her husband met through Craigslist, recently confessed to killing more than 22 people across the U.S. in a "Satanic" murder spree that began when she was just 13. Authorities have thus far found nothing to corroborate her claim, although the investigation is still ongoing, but to nobody's great surprise Fox News is out in front of the situation, suggesting that her murderous urges may somehow be connected to video games.

Fox News Legal Analyst Peter Johnson Jr. said he doesn't think it's possible that Barbour could have murdered as many people as she claims, but that doesn't stop him from ruminating on why she did it. "We're talking about a girl at age 13, 14,15, after being part of one murder, going on and completing another 20-something murders," he said. "We do know that she has an affinity for the fantasy game called Dark Souls, which is a very dark, death-laden video game that's on PlayStation and other kinds of video-type things where there's a lot of killing involved."

Johnson doesn't come right out and say that video games made her do it, but it does top his list of factors that could have turned her into a devil-worshiping thrill-killer, ahead of an abusive childhood and an unwanted teenage pregnancy that ended in abortion. He also acknowledged that Barbour could be making the whole thing up to lay the groundwork for an insanity defense in the one killing she's actually believed to have committed, presumably to ensure that Fox's "fair and balanced" reputation remains unsullied.

Source: Fox News

Dark Souls didn't come out in 2007.

Case closed.

While there is a lot of death in Dark Souls, most of it is your own

I think my favorite part of this is when a 'professional' describes the possible motivator as a

Andy Chalk:
video game that's on PlayStation and other kinds of video-type things.

You know, those thingies. With the stuff. And the videos.

hah. HA. HAHAHAHAhahah!!!! Yeah, no. I wish one of these days that someone from the games industry can sue for false defamation of an industry. It is so ridiculous that they are blaming video games over an abusive childhood.

Statistics actually show that relative to 20 years ago childhood violence is actually lower. Don't go blaming what you don't understand.

Ok so she is 19 right now.

First murder at 13

19-13 = 6

2014 - 6 = 2008
Or let's take 2013, since DS came out in October so that would be 2007

Dark Souls came out in 2011.

So either she is a time traveler, or he is full of shit. Personally, i go for the second option. But its fox, did anyone expect anything else?

Do conservative people actually watch fox? or just incredibly stupid people.

Next from Fox News:

All powerful video games can manipulate time and space to influence the emotions and decision making of people regardless of their relative location in the continuum.

Back in the 80s and 90s I went through changes that eventually left me as a skeptical, cynical asshole with a bleak outlook on life... I BLAME YOU BANNER SAGA.

Isn't there some clause that says you're not affected by freedom of the press if you're lying?

Cause these idiots are full faced lying.

No surprise here. Honestly, nobody in their right mind would believe this crap. Even if she had a time machine to get her copy of DS from 2011, this isn't the first time video games have had the finger pointed at them by Fox "news" and won't be the last. Just ignore it, they said the same thing about rock and roll, and hip hop, and I've even heard of some people acting like this towards dubstep. There's no reason to give even a single crap about what they say.

Fox News gonna Fox News, as they say. At some point, we have to stop giving them attention, or they'll never go away.

"PlayStation and other kinds of video-type things?" Oh shit, get that VCR away from little Jimmy!

Fox "News," ladies and gentlemen. Your source for sensationalist, reactionary knee-jerking since 1996.

themilo504:

I'd say it is more for people who are interested in political drama or want to get outraged without actually doing the actual research to see if it is something to really get upset about. But that can be said of all political theatre television be it MSNBC, CNN or Fox News. Regardless of the channel the people are just espousing their outrage and opinion and most of the time when I actually do a follow up on the actual content they are commentating on. The content is full of editing and taking what people say out of context that it shows what James O'Keefe did to Acorn is actually the norm instead of the exception.

Or if you want to put it into internet terms. The political theatre of MSNBC, CNN, and Fox News is the Tumblr of television.

themilo504:

Fox News is okay if you watch it for parody.

Glorious Job Creators cannot be wrong. I of knew something was of fish with this soul blacks... All of these of type video things with much kill in them.

Fox has a history of being accurate on video games.

I'm just going to leave this here as a reminder:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKzF173GqTU

How do these people...just how do they function if their heads are full of actual shit?

Like - how monumentally fucking stupid do you have to be that shit like that comes out of your mouth?

Wait what?

If Dark Souls could inflict ANY kind of mental problem, it would be masochism and possible suicidal urges.

Not to mention the above mentioned fact that it came out WAY after her supposed murder spree began.

...Seriously, Fox is REALLY scraping the bottom of the barrel in trying to stay relevant. But then again, they accuse movies of being communist propaganda designed to brainwash little kiddies just because the villain is a CEO, so I shouldn't be surprised.

I don't think they are saying Dark Souls made her do it. They are saying video games laden with violence made her do it... which is equally stupid. They then cited a game which they would consider along those lines. It is death laden... and rebirth laden... but that is neither here nor there.

Johnson doesn't come right out and say that video games made her do it, but it does top his list of factors that could have turned her into a devil-worshiping thrill-killer, ahead of an abusive childhood and an unwanted teenage pregnancy that ended in abortion

Fox News is getting lazy. They forgot to blame lack of religion, federal gun control and Obama too! I guess it is an improvement that they aren't just solely blaming video-type things anymore, but not much.

RaikuFA:
Isn't there some clause that says you're not affected by freedom of the press if you're lying?

Cause these idiots are full faced lying.

Actually. News channels can legally lie without any repercussions whatsoever.
http://www.relfe.com/media_can_legally_lie.html

OP:

While this is always a bit aggravating, it's not exactly surprising. I mostly just ignore these things now because it's not worth my time.

Im kinda happy that my girlfriend will never find out, she and our cats where only 2 deaths away from getting axe mudered shining style, it's just something sens fortress does to people.

We do know that she has an affinity for the fantasy game called Dark Souls,

Fair enough, continue.

which is a very dark, death-laden video game

Yes, but isn't that the case in most games these days?

that's on PlayStation and other kinds of video-type things

How old were you again?

where there's a lot of killing involved

"Vidja gaems did it!, because reasons!" - Fox News

Also:

CaptainMarvelous:
While there is a lot of death in Dark Souls, most of it is your own

Yup, as much as I love Dark Souls, you spend most of the time dying and running from griefers in MP*.

*After removing GFWL, I seriously haven't looked back, I don't care about MP at all.

Did she wear pants? I hear all serial killers wear pants. So if she wore pants then that must be the motivating factor

She did all that in the name of Dark Souls, and she probably didn't even stop to praise the sun.

Fucking Darkwraiths, man. Not a shred of decency.

Here we go again. Last time it was

"Boy took his father's gun to school".

Then in news report, father comments saying,

"My son took the gun to school because of influence from Minecraft".

So it wasn't because you were a f**king bad parent for not putting away the gun in a safe place away from children and actually being dumb enough to blame a game that has NO GUNS at all in it?

OR

"The Washington shootings happened because the suspect was playing GTA V the weekend before."

Er... The game weren't even out yet and is this a way of you trying to blame video games again angry conservative man? You know the Bible has more violence, sex and obscene act in it than most of the things you see today.

At this point, I think Peter Johnson Jr. should just give up on life. Retire, go home, separate himself from society. Because he used the phrase "video-type things" on national TV in what is supposed to be a serious news article. And no matter what else he does in his life, no matter what he accomplishes, he will always be remembered as the "video-type things" guy. It would be sad if it wasn't so stupid.

Other than that, boilerplate "VIDJA GAYMES MAK UR CHELDRIN MURDUUUR" stuff. Not much to say about it, beyond the usual contempt and disgust they they're trying to pin people's deaths on a piece of entertainment that isn't them.

I saw the headline and thought "This is great! Now a bunch more people will know about Dark Souls and sales will skyrocket, giving us more games like it!"

and in other news fox news has linked drinking milk to ted bundy

Satanism AND video games? It must be fucking Christmas. I assume the terrorists built the time machine to send her the video game in the past. And it was all constructed by zombie Hitler, who with his painting abilities went on to create video games, such as Dark Souls, all to make sure that these killings happened. I mean, that seems to be the only logical conclusion to how these events transpired.

Besides the math being a little funky, I have to say out of all the games I've played ... this is the one to make a person kill another!

I got to those Gargoyle things and I wanted to kill somebody! One isn't hard enough, with it's tail bending all over the place ... another one swoops down saying "Gee, George, watching you kill that tortured soul sure does look like a whole heap a fun ... mind if I join in?". Dicks!

At least it's better than trotting out the usual suspect, I swear gta has done so many laps around fox news it more than doubles the distance I've drove in the actual games!

world affinity was something in demons souls, you fucked up again, fox
oh and if video games are so powerful, why are they using metallica instead of CoD in Guantanamo? if fox is to be believed at about MW3 the detainees should piss red white and blue

Disgusting.
Stop giving that person fame by giving them a title and showing their face all over the media and don't insult us users of "video-type things" by associating us with them.
You're only inspiring new killers.
You're the lowest of scum if you sink to that level just for some press.

"We do know that she has an affinity for the fantasy game called Dark Souls, which is a very dark, death-laden video game that's on PlayStation and other kinds of video-type things where there's a lot of killing involved."

They appear to have descended to some never-before-reached level below "not trying any more".

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here