Wireless Laptop Charging? Dell Joins Alliance for Wireless Power

Wireless Laptop Charging? Dell Joins Alliance for Wireless Power

Dell is the first PC manufacturer/OEM to join the alliance.

In a move that will surely bolster the Alliance for Wireless Power (also known as A4WP), Dell has officially signed on as an alliance member.

Rezence Wireless Power

The PC manufacturer is the first company of its kind to officially support any sort of wireless power standard, and the move should help spur along A4WP's "Rezence" wireless power standard.

Having a major OEM as an ally is a plus in and of itself, but A4WP will use the partnership as a reason to pursue higher-power wireless charging. At the moment, wireless charging typically has smaller devices (smartphones, tablets) in mind. This new partnership means A4WP will be pursuing such tech in the 50W-80W range, which brings laptops and Ultrabooks into the mix.

The announcement calls Dell the first PC manufacturer to join A4WP, but it's worth noting that there are several other companies in the alliance (Samsung, Fujitsu) that count PC building amongst their endeavors.

Rezence is a wireless power standard that uses "near-field magnetic resonance technology," which allows Rezence surfaces to power multiple devices, and power can be delivered to those devices through small obstacles (clothing and the like). Built-in Bluetooth allows for smart charging, so minimal power will be wasted in the process. Other alliance members include Intel, Qualcomm, Samsung, Haier, HTC, LG, Panasonic, and SanDisk.

I read this as 'Drell join Alliance'.
Maybe playing through ME again was a mistake.

I wonder what the distance is on that 50-80W spec. It would be nice not having to bust out an extension cord because whatever laptop I'm using always has the input on the wrong side, and that 1 foot extra would've been perfect if it plugged in on the opposite side.

Wait, was Dracula actually right?

Is this a viable technology?

So there's people that think cell phones give you cancer, and now we're shooting POWER through the air? I'm no scientist, but I'm pretty sure energy expanding from a source through the air is called radiation, and it usually doesn't do good things to humans.

Still, sounds awesome, though I assume the wireless powering device still has to be plugged in, kind of defeating the purpose.

Daaaah Whoosh:
So there's people that think cell phones give you cancer, and now we're shooting POWER through the air? I'm no scientist, but I'm pretty sure energy expanding from a source through the air is called radiation, and it usually doesn't do good things to humans.

Still, sounds awesome, though I assume the wireless powering device still has to be plugged in, kind of defeating the purpose.

It doesn't shoot power through the air, it uses electromagnetic induction. To over simplify it you have a coil in the charging pad and a coil attached to devices battery, the current through the first coil alternates which excites the electrons in the other coil creating a current in that coil which produces the power.

If you think of the way an electrical transformer works its essentially the same, when you place the device you want to charge on or near the charging pad the electromagnetic field between the two coils combine into a transformer like the one you find inside your normal notebook charger.

Whether it would be harmful or not remains to be seen but considered the electromagnetic fields our consumer electronics already create it wouldn't really matter if it had some potential for slight effects on the human body, just don't go putting your testicles between the pad and the device your charging and you should be OK.

J Tyran:

Whether it would be harmful or not remains to be seen but considered the electromagnetic fields our consumer electronics already create it wouldn't really matter if it had some potential for slight effects on the human body, just don't go putting your testicles between the pad and the device your charging and you should be OK.

Eff that. It's a free country; I'll do whatever I want with me nuts.

OT: I wonder what the range will be for these things. Cause it would greatly benefit wireless headphones if the range was at least a few feet. My G930s are great, but I hate the flimsy charging cable that it comes with. It's nigh-on impossible to plug it in without looking.

Come to think of it, it's the same problem with iPads as well. They should have stuck with the previous USB cable. Oh, and the XBox 360s charger is better than the PS3/PS4's charger for the same reason.

Man, I can't think of something that's a better example for a first world problem.

Just so we are clear these things have zero range, you put your devices on the charging station/pad, this is no more then ye olde "power brick" now being built in two parts.

And while you can absolutely make charging stations that will cover your entire house this means any and all conductive material within range will generate electricity from that magnetic field... essentially turning everything in your house into an electrified death trap (unless it already caught fire then it's just a fire hazard).

SKBPinkie:

J Tyran:

Eff that. It's a free country; I'll do whatever I want with me nuts.

Well then when your kids pop out looking like The Thing don't say I didn't warn ya!

Wait... Energy being transmitted through the air to any receptive machine in the area? Sounds awfully familiar...

All units! All units! Inform the Commander! We have found the prototype! Begin the operation immediately! COBRAAA!!!

So people are finally starting to realise the genius of Nikola Tesla? Its about time.

It's the Alliance for Wireless Power! Fighting the forces of...

...wait, there are no forces to fight.

Seriously, what the fuck kind of name is that?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here