Diddy Kong Returns in Super Smash Bros. 4

Diddy Kong Returns in Super Smash Bros. 4

Donkey Kong's perpetual sidekick Diddy Kong will return in Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U.

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze will be released in the US tomorrow, but today, Nintendo has another treat for Donkey Kong fans. Diddy Kong, DK's perpetual chimp sidekick will be returning in Super Smash Bros. For 3DS and Wii U, the latest installment in Nintendo's mascot fighter. "We've increased Diddy Kong's flexibility this time," said game director Masahiro Sakurai in a comment accompanying the announcement.

Check him out in action below:

Diddy Kong first made his appearance in Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Wii, where he brought his peanut popgun, barrel jetpack, and very chimpanzee-like fighting style to the table. From the screenshots, it looks like all of those will be back in the new game.

The fact that Diddy was announced around the release of Tropical Freeze is no co-incidence: Sakurai has a habit of announcing characters in order to promote their games, and the Diddy Kong page indeed has a link to the official Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze website.

What do you think of Diddy Kong's return? He was one of my favorite characters in Brawl, with a unique, fun fighting style.

Source: Nintendo

I recently started playing Project M and I have a friend who is all about DK and Diddy Kong. Diddy is a beast in M, with his so called monkey business and monkey setups. And those damn bananas!

I'm a little disappointed that Diddy Kong is not returning as the Diddy and Dixie Kong tag-team that quite a few were predicting but ah well, it's not like he needed any changing to him move-set or anything. I completely expected him to return in some form but I also originally expected the DK series to gain a newcomer around the time of Tropical Freeze's Japan release. The announcement of Little Mac, while a very welcome reveal for me (my 3rd most wanted character for SSB), threw my predictions off course and unless the DK newcomer is revealed around E3 or kept secret until the game's release, I don't actually see their being a DK newcomer in SSB4.

Funny, I'm not sure how to feel about that. On the one hand, does the DK series really need 3 reps? On the other hand though, either Dixie or King K. Rool would be great additions both in filling the lacking female and villain quota respectively but also in being important and key Nintendo characters. Well, we will have to wait and see but for now I don't consider a DK newcomer all that likely.

Ouch...
I think I have actually killed myself more often with his ulti than actually killed someone else -.-
I think he is a good character, a bit different, Donkey isn't alone from the Kong series, sure, why not!

I had a friend who was infuriatingly good as Diddy Kong in Brawl, so the sight of him fills me with dread to this day. By extension, I was kinda hoping he wouldn't be in this game.
Still, I can see how it would have been a bit of a loss to not have him return. I don't know much at all about Smash above have-friends-round-to-mess-about-on-it level, but even I can tell that Diddy has a pretty unique playstyle.

Steven Bogos:
Diddy Kong, DK's perpetual chimp sidekick

Nope. No. Had to stop reading there. Diddy Kong is not a chimp. He has a tail, chimps don't have tails. Why do people have such a hard time with this?

While I consider Brawl a shit stain on Nintendo's games list, I did like some of the moves they gave Diddy Kong. I really like the combo of dropping banana's all over the field, rolling into the enemy with a cartwheel attack that tosses them aside while picking up the banana's on the ground, then throwing them really quickly. One of the few good things to come out of Brawl.

I'm glad he's back and hope the new game he's in utilizes him better.

Storm Dragon:

Steven Bogos:
Diddy Kong, DK's perpetual chimp sidekick

Nope. No. Had to stop reading there. Diddy Kong is not a chimp. He has a tail, chimps don't have tails. Why do people have such a hard time with this?

Maybe the writer is just monkeying around? Or possibly aping other sources claiming that? Perhaps they just went bananas for a moment when writing about it.

All right! Our peanut popgun-packing monkey is back! Time to celebrate! Yo, Diddy! Drop me a beat!

Kinda bummed that he won't be paired up with Dixie Kong as some of us had hoped they would. But there is hope she might make it into the game. Plus I wouldn't mind seeing more villains in this title with the addition of King K. Rool. Guess will find out in March.

To be honest, I would have preferred him to be replaced with Dixie or Baby just to spice things up from Brawl, but he's good I guess.

I don't like the way he is eying that Yellow Pikmin...

Anyway, glad to see him back I suppose, I remember being really good with him for a while without trying. >.>

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here