Oculus Preparing To Launch RiftCon VR Convention

Oculus Preparing To Launch RiftCon VR Convention

oculus rift at CES

Oculus VR appears to be readying RiftCon, its very own convention dedicated to all things virtual reality.

Oculus VR has been flogging its wares in a lot of different places, but now it appears that the company is preparing to whip up a show of its own. It filed a trademark application last week for "RiftCon," described as for "organizing exhibitions for cultural, educational, or entertainment purposes; organizing exhibitions in the fields of interactive entertainment, virtual reality, consumer electronics and video game entertainment industries for cultural or educational purposes; entertainment services, namely, arranging and conducting of competitions to encourage use and development of interactive entertainment, virtual reality, consumer electronics, and video game entertainment software and hardware."

Oculus has appeared at CES, the Sundance Film Festival and IndieCade East this year alone, and is scheduled to attend GDC and SXSW Interactive in March. But a convention of its own would be a big step toward positioning itself among mainstream gamers as a unique and important piece of tech, rather than just another gimmick. Oculus VR declined to comment, but it seems clear that this is the next big step.

The Oculus Rift headset made a big splash last month with a number of demos at CES, which left our own Devin Connor predicting that "it will be glorious" when the device is in full release.

Source: GameFront

Seems a bit excessive for a piece of hardware that isn't even finished yet. I'm excited about the Rift, but I'd be more excited if they had a consumer model I could buy, or even a date for when one might be available.

I hope this is near me. Would love to see what is possible with the Rift. If the demos are good enough, i might purchase one.

Mcoffey:
Seems a bit excessive for a piece of hardware that isn't even finished yet.

It's not so much for the piece of hardware as such, but for the new entertainment medium that is coming along with it and it's potential rivals.

they're putting the cart before the horse, just a tad, I think. It's great that they're embracing the virtual reality movement as a new medium for interactive entertainment. Honestly, I agree with them wholeheartedly that there's a future for the technology, and a lot of innovation to be had.

That said, if they were to plan events like this after their product had already been released and maybe had a year to sink into the general consciousness, they would be able to draw a greater number of enthusiasts to educate on future developments than doing so now.

I'm far from an expert on the matter, though. that was just my knee-jerk reaction to the news.

The only thing they should be worried about launching now is the goddamn product.

Weaver:
The only thing they should be worried about launching now is the goddamn product.

That and people around the internet really need to chill the hell out with the "RIFT IS TEH FUTURE OF GAMING, NOTHING COMPARES EVER" lines I keep seeing spouted throughout gaming websites, Kingdom Come's forum is a contender there for that, one guy even had the balls to ask the devs to make it the main interactive form of deliverance for the game and that upped a few nerves as well as my own because some of us don't exactly want to use the product or have it made mandatory.

I'd certainly call it innovative but I wouldn't stamp it as the factual future of gaming, that implies everyone has to accept it and want to use it but we all know some people prefer something different.

I'm excited and all... but I'm about tired of reading about it. I don't give a shit about "RiftCon". No one should care that much for something that doesn't even have a hard release date. The more I read about it, the more it feels like vaporware. All hype from the press and developers, but the consumer (the one's who will actually make or break it) is stuck twiddling thumbs while we get more marketing thrown at us. Shut the fuck up and release a product.

Baresark:
I'm excited and all... but I'm about tired of reading about it. I don't give a shit about "RiftCon". No one should care that much for something that doesn't even have a hard release date. The more I read about it, the more it feels like vaporware. All hype from the press and developers, but the consumer (the one's who will actually make or break it) is stuck twiddling thumbs while we get more marketing thrown at us. Shut the fuck up and release a product.

I'm the same way, I want to at least see a "Basic" consumer model cause I have no coding skills whatsoever, so buying the SDK would be a waste of time.

BUT....I don't want to buy something that isn't fully finished yet. Just look at the Xboner. Look at how fast and stupid they launched that. It can't handle 1080p, the kinect is required and I've seen for myself store owners try to get people to buy it when they were told PS4's weren't in stock. If they had waited a bit longer, refined the hardware instead of worrying about a release date, the system wouldn't suck so much ass like it is right now. Yes I'm tired of waiting for the Rift but if it's got all the kinks worked out and it doesn't need any hardware/software updates on release and it works damn perfect out of the box, I can be patient for a while

Baresark:

Yup, that's how I feel.

Shadow-Phoenix:

That and people around the internet really need to chill the hell out with the "RIFT IS TEH FUTURE OF GAMING, NOTHING COMPARES EVER" lines I keep seeing spouted throughout gaming websites, Kingdom Come's forum is a contender there for that, one guy even had the balls to ask the devs to make it the main interactive form of deliverance for the game and that upped a few nerves as well as my own because some of us don't exactly want to use the product or have it made mandatory.

I'd certainly call it innovative but I wouldn't stamp it as the factual future of gaming, that implies everyone has to accept it and want to use it but we all know some people prefer something different.

This is also how I feel.

I get it people are excited, yeah, but seriously, anything that gets hyped this way just starts being obnoxious after a while. Sure, it's damn near certain once it's out, it will become a rather widespread fad, but it's not really inventing the wheel and "changing gaming FOR-EVAH!!!". Once it comes out, it's going to be something for the "cool kids" and not having one will make you "uncool", but it's true impact will only become apparent later on.

And I don't mean only impact on entertainment. Will also be interesting to see how tricking one's brain with switching sensory input like that is going to work out in the long-term, something we don't really know yet, for obvious reasons. I'm going to say that some research needs to be done in that regard before a widespread launch.

shadowstriker86:

Baresark:

I'm the same way, I want to at least see a "Basic" consumer model cause I have no coding skills whatsoever, so buying the SDK would be a waste of time.

BUT....I don't want to buy something that isn't fully finished yet. Just look at the Xboner. Look at how fast and stupid they launched that. It can't handle 1080p, the kinect is required and I've seen for myself store owners try to get people to buy it when they were told PS4's weren't in stock. If they had waited a bit longer, refined the hardware instead of worrying about a release date, the system wouldn't suck so much ass like it is right now. Yes I'm tired of waiting for the Rift but if it's got all the kinks worked out and it doesn't need any hardware/software updates on release and it works damn perfect out of the box, I can be patient for a while

I agree completely. I don't want an unfinished product. I would like a refined product more than anything. I'm just tired of the marketing going on for something that only exists to developers and the media. It's times like this where I crave the absolute silence of a company like Blizzard, where you hear nothing till something is reasonably close to release. We have just been inundated with the marketing more than most products, and so far it's not even going to be compatible with anything but the PC for sure.

Shadow-Phoenix:

That and people around the internet really need to chill the hell out with the "RIFT IS TEH FUTURE OF GAMING, NOTHING COMPARES EVER" lines I keep seeing spouted throughout gaming websites

You probably won't hear an end to that anytime soon. Take it from someone who has been in several VR machines over a decade ago, and has ranted endlessly since to their friends about how nothing we've been offered today still even compares to that experience. VR leaves a pretty amazing impression on people that doesn't go away. Certainly not saying it is the endall of everything, but it is indeed something we've been missing out on for years.

Just because some people don't want to use it, doesn't mean it won't be crammed down their throat. Look at avatars and motion-control last gen :/ That's the way the industry works now. Someone makes something with a little success then EVERYONE copies it and does it to death. Just look at how many games are trying to be CoD that aren't even FPS games.

Weaver:

Indeed. This thing can only stay in development limbo for so long. Wasn't this back from 2011/2012? While it's cool so many people are still getting an amazing experience at events and at the houses of friends who have dev kits, the hype train can only last so long for those who aren't privileged with experiencing either.

Shadow-Phoenix:

Weaver:

I agree with you, however likely we will be dragged into VR anyway. it appears that anyone that tries it is instantly converted, like they put some brainwashing chip inside it or something.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here