Gran Tursimo 5 Servers Go Offline, DLC Gone Forever

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Gran Tursimo 5 Servers Go Offline, DLC Gone Forever

Gran Turismo 5 Spec 2.0 update

Gran Turismo 5 was released just three years ago, but Sony is already pulling the plug on its severs.

One of the increasingly valid concerns people have over DLC and games that require online servers is the fear that one day, those servers will shut down, leaving sections of the game unplayable. For Gran Turismo 5 that day is near, with Sony announcing that its online servers will come to a close on May 30, 2014. What's more, after 30 April 2014, players will be unable to purchase any Gran Turismo 5 DLC, as it will disappear from the PS store forever.

Specifically, Sony says that the following services will come to an end: Online Lobby, Seasonal Events, Museum, News, Community, Remote Race, Log in Bonus, Online Dealership and DLC purchase.

If you've purchased the "Racing Car Pack" and "Course Pack" (including those purchased as part of the "Complete Pack"), you'll have to access the PlayStation Store and purchase the [Family Upgrade] for the items in question. The upgrade is free of charge, and ensures that you'll be able to re-download the DLC in the future.

If you wish to re-download already purchased DLC after the April 30 cut-off date, you will still be able to do so from the [Download List], accessible in the PlayStation Store. However, this will not work with the "Paint Pack" and "Racing Gear Pack", which once deleted from your system will be gone forever!

So there we go. It looks like Gran Turismo's online shelf-life is only as long as the gap between the next game's release. Gran Turismo 6 has already had several cars released for free for the game since it's launch, and plans to have a substantial amount more. I wonder what will happen when its severs inevitably go offline?

Source: Gran Turismo

Here it is. The future of gaming.

I'm already wondering what the outcry will be like if something like Mass Effect loses all of its DLC.

Why get rid of the dlc?

What possible reasong could they have?

Genocidicles:

I'm already wondering what the outcry will be like if something like Mass Effect loses all of its DLC.

you arent wrong it was going to happen one day with a major game it was just a matter or when and what company that pulled this shit

So basically, this game was in development (was originally shown at E3 2005, and released at the end of 2010) for longer than most of the game will be available for.

Ignoring that many believe this sort of thing shouldn't happen to begin with, that's kinda ridiculous, isn't it?

Genocidicles:

For the first game? I doubt anyone will care, since it's DLC was all trash and not at all interesting.
For 2, and Citadel for 3 though? Yeah that would be bullocks and I'm sure people would care about that.

They've got to close it down because Gran Turismo 5 is the superior, more consumer friendly product. So shoot that shit in the head and make your fans re buy the features they bought in 5 for 6 and 7

Genocidicles:

BioWare either releases all three games with all that content on the actual disc, or they suffer another mass bleeding of fans.

Now okay, servers have to be shut down eventually. But after only three years? Unless the game sucks, this is insane. I mean, the original Resistance: Fall of Man kept its serves up and running for nearly the entire life cycle of the PS3 generation. Hot DAMN. And you're telling me that these guys can't keep theirs going for more than three years? Glad I don't play this series or I'd be pissed. Right now I'm just disappointed.

Give us back privately hosted servers on the PC, arseholes. I hate that they can flip a switch and kill a game like this. Why do console gamers give these people money?

Genocidicles:

Considering most of the people that would be interested in the DLC have already bought it, I can't see much of an outcry. I do wish they would fix Dragon Age: Origins and how its DLC works, for it has "issues" under Windows Vista and later.

cursedseishi:

For the first game? I doubt anyone will care, since it's DLC was all trash and not at all interesting.
For 2, and Citadel for 3 though? Yeah that would be bullocks and I'm sure people would care about that.

I would miss Bring Down the Sky for it wasn't a bad DLC offering.

Gran Turismo 6 has sold just 25% of what GT5 managed in same time frame in the US. That's what they get for announcing that they are shutting down servers before GT6 was released. I speak my outrage with my wallet. I own gt1\5 with all the dlc and I'm not getting Gt6. I'll wait to see the if Drive Club is decent or mby they will pull their sh*t together by the time Gt7 goes out.

Reed Spacer:
Why get rid of the dlc?

With the two above exceptions, they aren't getting rid of it. They're just not selling it anymore.

Zachary Amaranth:

Reed Spacer:
Why get rid of the dlc?

With the two above exceptions, they aren't getting rid of it. They're just not selling it anymore.

Again, what possible reason could they have to stop selling something? Only thing I can think of it that some sort of licensing deals for the cars or tracks had expired but even so if they've managed to get GT6 out they should have been able to re-licence them.

I just find it odd that they're pulling the DLC offline as they shouldn't be that expensive to host online.

Meanwhile, the 1996 website for Space Jam is still up and running.

http://www2.warnerbros.com/spacejam/movie/jam.htm

For eighteen fucking years.

yamy:

Again, what possible reason could they have to stop selling something? Only thing I can think of it that some sort of licensing deals for the cars or tracks had expired but even so if they've managed to get GT6 out they should have been able to re-licence them.

I just find it odd that they're pulling the DLC offline as they shouldn't be that expensive to host online.

The only reason why I can see it changing is because of how the player account is tied to the online services they are bringing down, for if I read the article correctly they are requiring the person to download "The Family Pack" DLC that is free to download otherwise you can't even download purchased DLC anymore.

Zachary Amaranth:

Reed Spacer:
Why get rid of the dlc?

That's effectively the same thing, especially if you don't have it.

RA92:

'LMAO i had to click that link. I miss websites being so simple... just for fun i did a quiz... got all the questions correct and got this message:

"You've successfully completed the Official Looney Tunes Trivia Quiz! Now go do something else!"

I laughed my ass off.

OT - Servers shutting down is shit.

WWmelb:

RA92:

'LMAO i had to click that link. I miss websites being so simple... just for fun i did a quiz... got all the questions correct and got this message:

"You've successfully completed the Official Looney Tunes Trivia Quiz! Now go do something else!"

I laughed my ass off.

I went to the Stellar Souvenir section, tried to download a browser icon, and then was told that I couldn't because I wasn't running Netscape Navigator. XD

#4TheGamers

Yeah, I wanna see Sony fanboys defend this. This is such BS for people that play GT5.

yamy:

Again, what possible reason could they have to stop selling something?

Easy, they want you to buy GT6 and one of the easiest ways to 'encourage' that is to make using previous titles as inconvenient as possible or completely impossible if they can. Thanks to always online for PC and console online systems in general, that's exactly what they can do. They also don't want lift a finger (or spend a penny) performing any kind of upkeep on the old game when the new one is full price.

It's exactly the same reason EA turn off servers for sports games every eighteen months, the only way to avoid it is buy offline game or stick to PC games that aren't always online/don't require a central auth server, such is life.

Genocidicles:

In case of Mass Effect and other PC published games there still a possibility of getting those... the 'other' way since once a thing makes its way into internet it's impossible to delete it :P

As for GT5 well that sucks but mind you, consumers are partially at fault here. By getting into DLC scheme you basically gave your approval for things like that to happen, and I'm more than certain you can't make a legal complaint since we all agreed to terms of service which states sony (or any other company offering DLC and digital sales) has the right to make such content unavailable for whatever reason.

EMBRACE THE CLOUD!

it might smell of farts and dissapointment.

and yes, microsoft and sony rambling about the clouds benefits is exactly this.
forcing you to buy games new almost every year on a restrictive console.

I'm glad I'm not a fan of Gran Turismo, and I'm glad I'm not a fan of DLC.

But really, holy shit, this quickly already?! Now maybe I'm wrong, but aren't Demon's Souls servers still active? A game that's older.
I mean what's the reasoning for killing GT's servers this soon? Is it costing them bucket loads or something?

And that's why i'm planning to buy Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition and Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen, even though i allready own the original games. I don't to rely on downloads, it's too risky on consoles.

When I said that this would happen if we let the publishers brainwash us into thinking that always online is a good thing, I was bombed with "that's a slippery slope argument herpa derp". It's even happening to games that aren't always online.

YOU CANNOT ALLOW THE PUBLISHERS THIS KIND OF CONTROL OVER YOUR PROPERTY! GAMES ARE NOT A SERVICE JUST BECAUSE PUBLISHERS WANT THEM TO BE. DON'T BUY INTO THEIR CRAP!

james.sponge:
As for GT5 well that sucks but mind you, consumers are partially at fault here. By getting into DLC scheme you basically gave your approval for things like that to happen, and I'm more than certain you can't make a legal complaint since we all agreed to terms of service which states sony (or any other company offering DLC and digital sales) has the right to make such content unavailable for whatever reason.

I agree with you that the consumer is at fault, but not for the reason you give.

Always online is the fault. Games so dependent on the online aspect is the problem. Owning extension for the games are nothing new. Back when it was a more consumer friendly tactic, it was known as Expansions. And getting a dlc that you can play forever is fine.

Getting anything so heavily dependent on the online factor is a horrible choice. As a racer myself who just never got into GT, I'm sad for my racing game siblings.

RA92:

www2? I didn't know the internet had a sequel!

I'm not suprised that a game is having the servers shut down, but having them shut down after only 3 years is kind of mad. Truly this is the next generation of videogames.

So this is how they repay the fans back for the long ass wait and buying it all and only 3 years later ? the development took longer did it not ? This to me is just plain disrespectful and cheeky

yamy:

Don't Microsoft and Sony both charge devs for keeping stuff up online? I know this is a Sony house title, but obviously they don't feel it's all that cheap.

And isn't that the problem with digital? Whatever the cost, there is still a cost.

RA92:

In fairness, very few things can match up to the epicness of Space Jam.

Reed Spacer:

That's effectively the same thing, especially if you don't have it.

No, it's effectively the same thing only if you don't have it.

ObsidianJones:

james.sponge:

I agree with you that the consumer is at fault, but not for the reason you give.

Always online is the fault. Games so dependent on the online aspect is the problem. Owning extension for the games are nothing new. Back when it was a more consumer friendly tactic, it was known as Expansions. And getting a dlc that you can play forever is fine.

Getting anything so heavily dependent on the online factor is a horrible choice. As a racer myself who just never got into GT, I'm sad for my racing game siblings.

Agreed, I'd love old expansion packs to return and if they don't want to make them physical they could at least let us download them without any limitations and keep them on our hard drives just in case (you know like GOG).

On a side note when sony will start shutting down more games to make room for PS4 exclusives on their servers people will rage :)

This kind of shit is why digital distribution in general needs to fuck off. People need to stop worshipping it, it's absolutely terrible and full of holes like this. "Oh, a good company wouldn't do this" Yeah, maybe companies shouldn't even have the ability to do this in the first place.

I dont even know what to think... except for: FUCK THIS FUCKING FUCKERS!!! HOW DO THEY DARE?, EVEN MS THE SON OF LUCIFER HAS SUPPORTED THEIR GAMES FOR YEARS, AOE3 servers are still going!1 and they only have like 500 players connected..., Theres not a single 360 exclusive that has had their servers shut down....
Why Sony?... WHY? ARE YOU GUYS IMBECILE? Do you consider this, "acceptable loses"? DO YOU WANT US TO BUY YOUR FUCKING GT6??.... WELL. FUCK YOU I DONT EVEN LIKE THIS FUCKING GAME, IM MAD BECAUSE OF WHAT IT MEANS, AND YOU MUST KNOW IT TOO.

FUCK THIS, im getting a PC, fuck the Xboner, fuck the PS4, fuck the consoles.
Thanks for your attention.

I don't understand, can't they offer the DLC as a free download? So...y'know people have incentive to continue to play offline and introduce newer players to the franchise? That's what alot of online transactors do. What's this company's damage?

ObsidianJones:

Yes, but those extensions were physical products once upon a time. Once we jumped on the DD model, this became an inevitability. They aren't going to be able to take your discs from you, but the inevitability that they will stop supporting the downloads was a certainty. There really is no DLC you can use forever.

Charli:
I don't understand, can't they offer the DLC as a free download? So...y'know people have incentive to continue to play offline and introduce newer players to the franchise? That's what alot of online transactors do. What's this company's damage?

They can. They just won't. And it's Sony, so I think we know Sony's damage.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here