Ghostbusters Writer/Actor Harold Ramis Dead

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Ghostbusters Writer/Actor Harold Ramis Dead

Harold Ramis the writer, director and actor behind countless classic comedies including Ghostbusters and Groundhog Day has passed away at age 69.

Harold Ramis, the mind behind countless film classics has, sadly, passed away this morning. An actor and writer, his career took off when he contributed to writing the 1978 comedy classic National Lampoon's Animal House. He would go on to pen beloved films including the Ghostbusters movies and Groundhog Day among many others. He was also well known for his performance as Dr. Egon Spengler in Ghostbusters and for directing movies like Caddyshack, National Lampoon's Vacation and the aforementioned Groundhog Day.

Ramis's family has confirmed that he died from complications of autoimmune inflammatory vasculitis, an uncommon condition involving the swelling of blood vessels. Ramis began suffering from the disease in 2010 and actually had to relearn how to walk in 2011 as a result of a relapse of the condition.

Of course, it can't be understated just how tremendous an influence Ramis' body of work has had on countless people, especially in the creative community. "His work is why so many of us got into comedy," said filmmaker Judd Apatow. "We grew up on Second City TV and Ghostbusters, Vacation, Animal House, [i]Stripes, [i]Meatballs; he literally made every single one of our favorite movies." Ramis was 69 years old and leaves behind his wife, three children and two grandchildren. A private memorial service is being planned for later this year.

Source: Chicago Tribune

Well, at least he died of natural causes instead of drug overdose, which seems to be the 'in thing' recently.

A pure comic genius. Ramis will be missed.

Now I am extremely sad. I loved the first Ghostbusters, and while the second one wasn't the best, it was still okay. Heck, I even liked the Ghostbusters game that came out a couple of years ago.

Man part of me is pleased I beat the Escapist to posting a story, the rest (the much bigger part of me) is that this was the story. I'm a writer, film student and I hope to direct my first short film (unrelated to college work) this summer and Harold Ramis has had such a profound effect on me. A real part of comedy history has just died.

A terrible loss, a comedian that truly understood how comedy works. You will be missed Harold RIP

Thatīs the definitive end for Ghostbusters 3 then, i would hope atleast, wouldnīt be the same without him :/. He will be missed, i really appreciate him for giving us GhostBusters and Groundhog Day, he wrote brilliant comedies :D.

I haven't been this bummed since George Carlin died. I must now watch Ghostbusters and Stripes in remembrance.

Damn Egon was always the ghost buster I'd be when I was a kid. So many great movies. I'm just glad he had a fairly full life before the end. Quite a loss of talent and and good man from what I've heard.

Loki_The_Good:
Damn Egon was always the ghost buster I'd be when I was a kid. So many great movies. I'm just glad he had a fairly full life before the end. Quite a loss of talent and and good man from what I've heard.

Egon was my favorite also.

RIP Mr. Ramis.

I can't really say anything other than how upset this news makes me. I gonna watch Ghostbusters and cry. Dammit.... I'll miss you man.

I had no idea he was behind all of those movies....that's basically my library of 'go-to's' when it comes to comedy, save mel brooks

iniudan:

Loki_The_Good:

Egon was my favorite also.

RIP Mr. Ramis.

Same here, the others were good but he was my favorite.

And as another poster said at least he didn't die of an OD like it seems half of Hollywood does these days.

Wait. I thought he's been dead for decades. Who the hell am I thinking of?!

Nevertheless, sad to hear about his passing. My hopes is that Hollywood doesn't just "remember" Ghostbusters and make another.

This has bummed me out so much!

Aw, really sorry to hear this. I liked him for many of his movies, both as a writer and as an actor. And it's not like 69 is particularly old these days... not at all anymore.

Do...

Ray...

HE GONE!

Sad times, man. Sad times.

...That's... honestly depressing. Guess there won't be a Ghostbusters 3, huh? (What is it with deaths this year anyway?) Well, I guess the video game will have to do... Anyway, rest in peace Sir.

Man, this guy was behind about 50% of my favorite comedies. Such a shame I won't see anything new from him ever again. He's definitely one of the major people who shaped my sense of comedy when I was a kid. He'll be missed.

Aww man, I was just watching Ghostbuster 2 on the weekend. He really knew his comedy. Vale Harold.

God fucking damn it! I know I should be sad, but I'm more angry than anything! His passing is a straight-up insult towards art! It's just too bad that he hadn't been involved in anything really worth paying attention to in years. Sure, the classics are still there, but it's unfortunate he wasn't able to deliver pure gold for modern audiences.

Kinitawowi:
Do...

Ray...

HE GONE!

That's.... that's just horrible, dude.

MrBaskerville:
Thatīs the definitive end for Ghostbusters 3 then, i would hope atleast, wouldnīt be the same without him :/.

Puts a wrench in it yes, kills it, possibly not. Hollywood loves its reboots/remakes/reimaginings/etc.

soren7550:

Kinitawowi:
Do...

Ray...

HE GONE!

MrBaskerville:
Thatīs the definitive end for Ghostbusters 3 then, i would hope atleast, wouldnīt be the same without him :/.

Puts a wrench in it yes, kills it, possibly not. Hollywood loves its reboots/remakes/reimaginings/etc.

Between Ramis dying and Bill Murray throwing potential script in garbage can (rumoured), i'd say it wouldbe unlikely now. Atleast if it was going to have any creative relation to the originals, i wouldn't be surprised if a new set of writers rebooted the whole thing.

MrBaskerville:

soren7550:

Kinitawowi:
Do...

Ray...

HE GONE!

MrBaskerville:

Between Ramis dying and Bill Murray throwing potential script in garbage can (rumoured), i'd say it wouldbe unlikely now. Atleast if it was going to have any creative relation to the originals, i wouldn't be surprised if a new set of writers rebooted the whole thing.

Well they could always have him come back as a CG-animated ghost voiced by someone who sounds LIKE him...

........but that might piss off a lot of people.

Wow. That's a kick in the stomach. Totally wasn't expecting this.

Odd thing, I just watched Ghostbusters again for the first time in years a couple days ago.

Its my birthday today and hearing this truly saddened me to the core. Ghostbusters is my absolute favourite movie of all time and Mr. Ramis' performance as Egon was a big part of my childhood, same for many other people. Stripes and Animal House were also fantastic comedies, he truly knew what he was doing and he will be sorely missed by those of us who loved what he did. Rest in Peace Mr. Ramis :(

a major bummer.. he was really funny and great in the ghostbusters films.. i hope they don't recast him if they ever do get around to making a 3rd ghostbuster movie

Aww, that sucks. Rest in peace mr Ramis, you'll always be remembered fondly.

Always sad to see the passing of someone who's work you have enjoyed. But at least he found happiness and success in life. And lived to see his work regarded as classic by multiple generations. That's a lot more than most people will ever get.

soren7550:

MrBaskerville:

Reboot maybe, sequel no. Because now you'd be missing two Ghostbusters because Murray will never ever do it. It's just as well, I rewatched Ghostbusters 2 for the first time in about 10 years a month ago and it was way more weak than I remembered. Doesn't do justice to the original. If they'd tried to make another one they'd have pulled a Crystal Skull. I think Murray knows this. That and he's one of the rare artists who got rich then decided to just take it easy and only do projects that actually interest them.

Oh sad sad day. The man was a comic genius and with him gone the hope of any future Ghostbuster film is dead in my view. Much sympathies for his family. RIP Harold Ramis.

Too soon. Just...too soon. I've got no special words. I heard it from my girlfriend and all motion in my brain just stopped.

Way too soon. You will be rememberd Harold Ramis.

Wow, I didn't know he was involved in all those movies. I only knew him from Ghostbusters. Still sad to see him go.

Damn....he Co-wrote one of my favorite movies of all time, and one of the only romantic comedies I've ever enjoyed.
The world's comedic talent went down a notch today...noticeably.

Now I'm really glad that I got to see Groundhog Day in theaters this year. Even though I went specifically for Bill Murray, it was Harold that knew how to write to complement Bill's acting talents. This shines through in all the other movies that he writes and acts along with Bill. Not like I need an excuse to have another Ramis/Murray marathon, but this time it'll be in remembrance and honor of him.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here