Nokia X: The Crossroads of Android and Windows Phone

Nokia X: The Crossroads of Android and Windows Phone

Three new entry-level Android devices starting at 89 Euros.

Nokia X Smartphone

Nokia kicked off Mobile World Congress by taking the wraps off its new X line of smartphones.

The X (89 Euros), X+ (99), and XL (109) are all entry-level smartphones, designed for regions where smartphones aren't completely ubiquitous yet. The hook? While the installed OS looks and feels like Windows Phone, it's actually a heavily skinned and customized version of Android.

The X line is about as far from a "vanilla" Android experience as you can get. None of the trio will have the familiar Google UX/UI, and certain aspects of the Android ecosystem, like the Google Play store, will be absent. Third-party app stores will come pre-installed, so we aren't in dumbphone/featurephone territory by any means.

Many of the included apps, along with receiving the Nokia design touch, are replacements for Google's own, and many will be familiar to those who've used other recent Nokia smartphones. Fastlane is included as the notification center, while other apps and services have been designed or tweaked by Nokia. With that in mind, you'll still be able to sideload any Android app you can't find in the included app stores.

Because these are Android devices in Windows Phone clothing, several Microsoft services and apps will be pre-loaded on the X devices. OneDrive, Outlook, and Skype will all be included, among others.

As for hardware, it's all fairly pedestrian, as is the case with most $100-$150 smartphones. The X and X+ share much of the same hardware: 1 GHz dual-core Snapdragon CPU, 4 GB of internal storage (with microSD expansion), 3MP camera, and a four-inch 800x480 LCD display. The X+ gets 768 MB of RAM to the X's 512 MB, as well as an included 4 GB microSD card. The XL comes with a larger display (five-inch), and improved camera specs (5MP in the back, and 2MP in the front).

All three slabs are headed for "growth markets" like South America, Eastern Europe, and parts of Asia -- no North American availability is planned at the moment.

"are all entry-level smartphones, designed for regions where smartphones are completely ubiquitous yet." Don't you mean aren't? :P

Yes, but can it be used as a projectile weapon like the previous ones and still make that 11 O' clock call?

Somethingfake:
"are all entry-level smartphones, designed for regions where smartphones are completely ubiquitous yet." Don't you mean aren't? :P

Yes, fixed. Thanks!

This is the first Nokia news I've heard in years. Good to see they're still kicking despite MS Apple and Samsung creeping into their territory a few years back. Too bad RIM probably isn't doing as good.

Although, why are these only headed to "Growth Market" North America and Western Europe have plenty of people that want a smartphone yet can't afford the expensive plans and initial charges. The only justifiable reason is supply which could be fixed when the get established in the currently aimed markets. I know people in third world countries use phones to pay bills and order necessities for daily life and business since sticking cell towers around and letting the phones charge by solar panels is easier than running copper lines, and a trip in town can be costly. So, more options for them is always a good thing. But, come on Nokia this is a great way to get more market share back and boost brand awareness. The last time I saw one of your phones that wasn't a meme about their durability was in the first Transformers movie. And that was one of the old bricks being turned into an evil demon-bot and the movie sucked. Don't leave it at that. I know you got smartphones(after a search), but this can help differentiate you and get people to upgrade to the more expensive models after using your entry model.

Captcha: Brand Lift
Sometimes, I think these thing are sentient.

Hairless Mammoth:
This is the first Nokia news I've heard in years. Good to see they're still kicking despite MS Apple and Samsung creeping into their territory a few years back. Too bad RIM probably isn't doing as good.

I dont know how to break this to you dude, but.... Nokia is Microsoft. Microsoft bought the whole thing cheap not too long ago. The real Nokia, the original Finnish company is left as tele distributor with very small market presence in Finland, practically dead. One of these days M$ might decide to scuttle the brand name entirely, and call it the bing phone or xbox phone.

OT: This is just dumb, who on earth would want to buy a super bloated android phone, this seems like a wasted effort on Microsoft's part, and a kind of declaration of defeat.

O maestre:

Hairless Mammoth:

I dont know how to break this to you dude, but.... Nokia is Microsoft. Microsoft bought the whole thing cheap not too long ago. The real Nokia, the original Finnish company is left as tele distributor with very small market presence in Finland, practically dead. One of these days M$ might decide to scuttle the brand name entirely, and call it the bing phone or xbox phone.

OT: This is just dumb, who on earth would want to buy a super bloated android phone, this seems like a wasted effort on Microsoft's part, and a kind of declaration of defeat.

Nokia's mobile phone division is not owned by Microsoft yet, it probably will (barring government intervention) but it hasn't yet.

Kumagawa Misogi:

O maestre:

Hairless Mammoth:

Nokia's mobile phone division is not owned by Microsoft yet, it probably will (barring government intervention) but it hasn't yet.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/11/19/us-nokia-microsoft-idUSBRE9AI00320131119
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57601037-94/nokia-selling-phone-business-to-microsoft-painful-but-necessary/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/terokuittinen/2013/09/02/nokia-sells-handset-business-to-microsoft-at-a-shockingly-low-price/

I don't know how else to interpret this and many other articles from september and october 2013 as a salre of Nokia;s mobile division to Microsoft including brand names like Lumia. Although the acquisition process is not complete yet, the deal for 7.4 has been accepted.

O maestre:

Kumagawa Misogi:

O maestre:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/11/19/us-nokia-microsoft-idUSBRE9AI00320131119
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57601037-94/nokia-selling-phone-business-to-microsoft-painful-but-necessary/
http://www.forbes.com/sites/terokuittinen/2013/09/02/nokia-sells-handset-business-to-microsoft-at-a-shockingly-low-price/

I don't know how else to interpret this and many other articles from september and october 2013 as a salre of Nokia;s mobile division to Microsoft including brand names like Lumia. Although the acquisition process is not complete yet, the deal for 7.4 has been accepted.

Nokia want's to sell but it takes time and until it's finalised later this year, Microsoft does not own Nokia's mobile division.

from the reuters article you linked "The sale is expected to close in the first quarter of next year after regulatory clearances." (it has not yet cleared there will be news articles when it does).

I don't see why anyone would buy this when the Moto G exists.

No Play Store? It begs the question of why bother making an Android phone in the first place. Sure, I sideload apps on occasion, but most people I know have never even tried it. Plus that cuts off the easy way to find apps and buying paid apps barring pirated apk's and Amazon's app store. I can see people buying it either because it's cheap, it's Nokia, or they plan on rooting it and using a rom that makes it an actual Android phone. Anyone who wants an actual Android device will buy a midrange or a flagship phone

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here