Samsung Galaxy S5: 16MP Camera, Toned Down TouchWiz, April Launch

Samsung Galaxy S5: 16MP Camera, Toned Down TouchWiz, April Launch

Samsung's new flagship includes a fingerprint scanner, is water- and dust-resistant.

The Galaxy S5 is finally here, and Android fans the world 'round should be impressed by at least a few of the new device's specs.

Samsung Galaxy S5

The S5 continues the increment movement that's prevalent throughout the Galaxy lineup -- a little faster, a little bigger, a little leaner. The hardware is exactly what you would expect in a 2014 Android flagship, complete with a 2.5 GHz Snapdragon 800 processor, 2 GB of RAM, 16 or 32 GB of storage (with microSD expansion), and a 16MP back camera.

The display, a 5.1-inch AMOLED display, is 1080p, naturally, and the removable battery has been given a bump to 2,800mAh. While Samsung kept the Galaxy S4 very close to the S3 size-wise, the S5 is a bit taller than the S4, although it's not as big as Samsung's Note series.

The most interesting piece of new hardware on the Galaxy S5 is the included fingerprint scanner, which is built into the S5's home button. Following in Apple's footsteps, the scanner can be used to unlock the phone, as well as secure data in encrypted folders. More and more third-party apps will include compatibility as well, with PayPal being the first official partner. Other new hardware includes a heart rate sensor, and its all wrapped up in IP67-compliant water- and dust-resistant housing (including a small cover for the micro USB port).

The S5 will ship with a skinned version of Android 4.4 (KitKat), although Samsung has reportedly toned down its TouchWiz UI this time around. While it's not going to be a stock Android experience, reeling TouchWiz back in is only good news for Android enthusiasts. Also toned down for the S5? Branded "S" apps, although S Health (for use with the heart rate monitor) is new. The toned down UI and S apps are direct results of Google pressuring Samsung to bring its products closer to the former's own Android experience.

The Galaxy S5 will be available in April -- North America included -- but details are sparse on pricing and carrier availability. With the S4 launching on all four major carriers in 2013, it wouldn't be crazy to expect the same this time around.

Bloat-ware: The Phone.

I loved the S2, and now I have an S3 (meh). I hate how my S3 has a constant 800 mb of ram being used by useless Samasung apps that I'm never going to use and I can't turn off from running in the background. I call bullshit on the "toning down" of S apps. Proof: the introduction of a fucking heart rate monitor and "S Health". Why the fuck and who the fuck is going to use that? People with smartphones don't give a shit about their heart rate. People who give a shit about their heart rate are going to count it out on their neck or wrist while they're exercising. If you actually use a smartphone to monitor your health, you're fucking stupid (unless you're the 0.0001% with a complicated health impairment).

rasputin0009:
Bloat-ware: The Phone.

I loved the S2, and now I have an S3 (meh). I hate how my S3 has a constant 800 mb of ram being used by useless Samasung apps that I'm never going to use and I can't turn off from running in the background. I call bullshit on the "toning down" of S apps. Proof: the introduction of a fucking heart rate monitor and "S Health". Why the fuck and who the fuck is going to use that? People with smartphones don't give a shit about their heart rate. People who give a shit about their heart rate are going to count it out on their neck or wrist while they're exercising. If you actually use a smartphone to monitor your health, you're fucking stupid (unless you're the 0.0001% with a complicated health impairment).

Why dont you just root it and remove them? It's a pretty easy experience nowadays. I know that you 'shouldnt have to' but you also didn't have to buy the phone.

Leviano:
[quote="rasputin0009" post="7.843284.20756416"]Bloat-ware: The Phone.

Why dont you just root it and remove them? It's a pretty easy experience nowadays. I know that you 'shouldnt have to' but you also didn't have to buy the phone.

I can't root if I want free repairs. Since I've broken the screen and had it replaced twice, I'll suffer with the shitty apps in the background. I upgraded to the S3 because it was cheaper for my carrier to give me a new S3 than to fix my S2.

I was holding out for the S5, but I agree the fingerprint thing and the heart-rate monitor are stupid additions. I just want a deluxe phone without needless features, is that so hard to ask?

Well with the S5 coming out i may just be able to get a S4 next year when my contract runs out on my S3 Mini.

Eh, I'll wait until my contract runs out to get a new phone, when it does I'll get an iPhone 6, if I had to go android I'd get stock android, perhaps a nexus 4.

there is nothing here that makes it significantly better than my S4, and being even bigger is just... naw. the S4 is the maximum that a phone should be

Contract is due up on my S3 in May, but I'm just not THAT tempted yet.

Greg Tito:
I was holding out for the S5, but I agree the fingerprint thing and the heart-rate monitor are stupid additions. I just want a deluxe phone without needless features, is that so hard to ask?

BUT GREG WHY WOULD YOU NOT WANT THE ALL-NEW EXCLUSIVE DYNAMIC REVOLUTIONARY NEW FEATURES SUCH THAT ONE SOCIAL THING AND THAT OTHER THING THAT YOU WOULD OTHERWISE NEVER USE?

I personally think it's because it attracts the layman with "shiny" features, and its also because they are starting to hit a wall in terms of innovation.

OP: If this results in a price drop, then I might consider getting a samsung or something for my mum.

Otherwise, meh, but still better than iPhone.

although S Health (for use with the heart rate monitor) is new.

False. That app is available on my S4.

I can use it to monitor weight, calories taken in, calories exercised, steps taken etc

Greg Tito:

The phone you want came out months ago. It's called the Nexus 5 :P

Sigh, phone makers are still pushing this extra megapixel nonsense. More pixels will not make it a better camera: why don't you try improving the size of the sensor, the resolving power of the lens or increasing the max aperture instead.

Greg Tito:

Nexus 5 user here. Extremely happy about it. The camera software needs some tweaking but other then that... I don't have any of the mentioned wifi problems. Mine is the 16gb model with 2300mAh battery. Battery usually lasts me a full day on a normal day. When I go to bed I have about 20-30% left. Sometimes in the weekends when I'm at home and use it less I don't have to charge it for 3 days. Worst I've done is 8 hours but then I was watching movies on the train non stop. Basically the battery is too weak for the 5 inch screen. And you notice when you use it non stop. Even with the powersaving tweaks that come with every new android update. The 32gb model has a bigger battery tho..

Camera (and optional battery depending how much you use it) are the only downsides. For the rest: basic android 4.4 which is nice. Even with all my other non standard apps running in the background I rarely use more then 50% of the RAM. If I were you I'd seriously opt buying it. Read some reviews. Most bang for your buck out there... I've got it since launch and nothing but smoooooooth sailing.

Devin Connors:
The S5 continues the increment movement that's prevalent throughout the Galaxy lineup -- a little faster, a little bigger, a little leaner. The hardware is exactly what you would expect in a 2014 Android flagship, complete with a 2.5 GHz Snapdragon 800 processor, 2 GB of RAM, 16 or 32 GB of storage (with microSD expansion), and a 16MP back camera.

The display, a 5.1-inch AMOLED display, is 1080p, naturally, and the removable battery has been given a bump to 2,800mAh.

The most interesting piece of new hardware on the Galaxy S5 is the included fingerprint scanner, which is built into the S5's home button. Following in Apple's footsteps, the scanner can be used to unlock the phone, as well as secure data in encrypted folders. More and more third-party apps will include compatibility as well, with PayPal being the first official partner. Other new hardware includes a heart rate sensor, and its all wrapped up in IP67-compliant water- and dust-resistant housing (including a small cover for the micro USB port).

So... does this thing even make phone calls?

I mean, it is still technically a phone, right?

Scrythe:

Devin Connors:

The display, a 5.1-inch AMOLED display, is 1080p, naturally, and the removable battery has been given a bump to 2,800mAh.

So... does this thing even make phone calls?

I mean, it is still technically a phone, right?

I feel this is appropriate here. Also I'm sure it does.

Greg Tito:

maybe they are secretly sponsored or in collaboration with google.

the s6 will require blood and urin and stool samples to work.
because of diabetes and stuff all meatbags need to monitor.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here