Xbox One Titanfall Bundle Coming Next Month

Xbox One Titanfall Bundle Coming Next Month

Xbox One Titanfall bundle

Microsoft will release an Xbox One Titanfall bundle to coincide with the launch of the game, while the standard edition will see a price cut in the U.K. later this week.

Titanfall looks set to be one of the year's biggest game releases, and Microsoft is gearing up to take advantage of its presumed popularity by packing it with the Xbox One in a special Titanfall bundle. Available on March 11, Titanfall's launch date, the package will include the system with a single controller, the standard Xbox One headset, one month of Xbox Live and a Titanfall download code.

It is perhaps not the most blingified bundle ever to see the light of day, but it costs the same as the standard Xbox One, making it awfully appealing not only for gamers still on the fence about what they want to play Titanfall on but also those wavering between the Xbox One and PlayStation 4. The stock PS4 clocks in at a hundred bucks cheaper than the Xbox One, but the addition of a $60 game - one that promises to be a huge hit - negates much of that difference.

"We bet big on Titanfall from the beginning and Respawn Entertainment and Electronic Arts were tremendous partners to our team as we developed Xbox One," Microsoft Corporate Vice President Yusuf Mehdi wrote in a new blog post. "In many ways, the launch of Titanfall will enable us to deliver the first truly next generation multiplayer game - one that will take advantage of the new party and chat improvements we're delivering, build on the power of the cloud in a way only Microsoft can, and connect fans on Xbox Live, home of the best multiplayer and service in gaming."

The Titanfall bundle is a limited offer so if you want one, you better preorder - so says the guy from Microsoft who really wants people to preorder them, anyway. And to be fair, assuming Titanfall lives up to the hype, it is a pretty good deal - free stuff is free stuff, after all. Those of you who'd rather just save a few bucks on the vanilla package may be in for good news as well: Microsoft announced today that that the price of the Xbox One in the U.K. will be reduced from 429 to 399 and while similar reductions haven't been announced in other territories, I wouldn't be too surprised to see it happen soon.

Sources: Xbox Wire, BBC

They're really banking on Titanfall as a trump card aren't they?
Also I probably won't notice, since me and all my friends will be plowing through the new South Park game that week.

Josh12345:

Given the way post Christmas sales are going, I think they're clinging to any and every possible advantage they can find.

Based on the Beta, I think they're about to be sorely disappointed, even more so when the 360 version comes out.

Microsoft certainly are hoping that Titanfall will be a smash. Granted I don't think it will do poorly in sales considering the hype but still.

Xbox One games in the UK cost 50 (well, 47) so reducing the price to 399 and including Titanfall (so one won't have to add that onto the price) will basically make it even to the PS4. That is unless your PS4 comes with the game you wanted which isn't all that likely, really.

The stock PS4 clocks in at a hundred bucks cheaper than the Xbox One, but the addition of a $60 game - one that promises to be a huge hit - negates much of that difference.

Unfortunately, that difference is itself offset by the $50/year XBox Live subscription that is required to play anything but the tutorials.

Hm. For some reason I was under the impression that there was a special edition console on the way... or was it just a controller?

Josh12345:

A killer app can make all the difference, especially when it's an exclusive (or semi-exclusive, in this case). It's very much in Microsoft's best interests to do everything it can to help make Titanfall a huge hit.

Halo was a special kind of killer app: Both the Single Player story and the Multiplayer were good, which created two whole different classes of fans that intermingled.

Titanfall is a different baby, betting all its chips on multiplayer only. I'm not sure it has the right balance to last anywhere near as long (as Halo) or remain the killer app for long.

Well, I think this will be the make or break point for the Xbox One. If this does well, the system may just catch or beat the PS4 in sales. If it doesn't the Xbox One may end up a big loser this generation, especially if the Microsoft executives don't like the results.

Of course, as others have pointed out, Titanfall is multiplayer only whereas the Halo series had strong single and multiplayer games. However, CoD is basically just a multiplayer game at this point and it sells well. This could go either way. Should be interesting to see.

Still not buying an Xbox One, though.

Mahorfeus:
Hm. For some reason I was under the impression that there was a special edition console on the way... or was it just a controller?

Just a controller, they announced it a few weeks/months ago but apparently aren't including it in this bundle if the box art is anything to go by.

I'm not suprised they are bundling the game with the console but the price drop was certainly unexpected especially since they aren't dropping the Kinect.

build on the power of the cloud in a way only Microsoft can

*snort* It's been a while since they've mentioned the cloud. It still sounds stupid.

Saltyk:
Well, I think this will be the make or break point for the Xbox One. If this does well, the system may just catch or beat the PS4 in sales. If it doesn't the Xbox One may end up a big loser this generation, especially if the Microsoft executives don't like the results.

It's not that big of a deal, remember the PS3 spent three years performing poorly and disastrously by varying degrees. In the short term it will be a big deal if Xbone Titanfall is a dud, which it could well be with PC and 360 versions available at the same time.

Long term not so much, long term Microsoft will need a wide range of strong IP rather than one killer app. They also need third party devs to get to grips with the hardware, PS4 versions of multi plats are killing them right now. In my local Game they have the Xbone and PS4 demo units next to each other, both on 50inch screens, regardless of what the fans say the extra resolution and frames per second is visible, even more so in such close proximity. It's selling PS4's extremely well, Microsoft have to bridge that gap.

As for killer apps, I don't buy it. As much as people remember Halo 'saving' the Xbox the reality is Xbox was almost a complete dud, they sold about 25 million in the end, Halo 1 and 2 together sold more than four times the next most successful game (Splinter Cell). That's kind of the nightmare scenario, not selling many hardware units, then selling more or less one game per hardware unit is something Microsoft will be trying to avoid. If Titanfall becomes the only noteworthy Xbone series it won't help them much.

In the next six months though, yeah Microsoft definitely want Titanfall to be that killer app, they need any boost they can get.

Alpha Maeko:
Halo was a special kind of killer app: Both the Single Player story and the Multiplayer were good, which created two whole different classes of fans that intermingled.

Titanfall is a different baby, betting all its chips on multiplayer only. I'm not sure it has the right balance to last anywhere near as long (as Halo) or remain the killer app for long.

Personally I think that from all the previews I've read, Titanfall sounds like it is a killer app. But it isn't being given the chance to act as a proper 'exclusive' system seller the way Halo was, because they're bringing it out on PC and 360 as well. If you have a game that you can get people absolutely dying to play, you have to force them to buy the console to get it. That's what Microsoft did with Halo 1 and 3, and it worked. If they're in any way reticent about the prospect of going next gen, they'll just get it for PC or 360.

Doubtless EA and Respawn are too invested in going for the throat of the CoD juggernaut to play along.

Having played Titanfall on my Xbox One I can say it's really awesome. I'm buying it day one, no hesitation. However, if I didn't already own an Xbone I'm not sure if it's enough to get me to slap down the $600 on it and a new console. In fact I can't think of a game since the original Halo that had me clamouring to buy the console it was one. The one before that was Goldeneye 64. Prior to that probably Sonic The Hedgehog.

Would probably jump on the deal if it was a physical copy included instead of a download code. Now I'll just sit and wait a little longer to see what other deals show up.

Wow only 399 for a console with a 1 month free trial of Titanfall awesome. /s

Sarge034:
Would probably jump on the deal if it was a physical copy included instead of a download code. Now I'll just sit and wait a little longer to see what other deals show up.

I don't think a download makes a difference. Its supposedly online only and you are said to pay for online.

So even with a physical copy, you still won't play it without being charged. Its really gonna suck i this succeeds and it becomes the norm.

Andy Chalk:
The stock PS4 clocks in at a hundred bucks cheaper than the Xbox One, but the addition of a $60 game - one that promises to be a huge hit - negates much of that difference.

.... not really.

now if the Xbone was itself $100 cheaper like the Ps4, and then came with a $60, then maybe it would be worth it.

but it's still $500.

you dont even get a physical copy, you get a damned download code.

but hey, at least we know now how shit Microsoft's Xbone sales have been.

Kumagawa Misogi:
Wow only 399 for a console with a 1 month free trial of Titanfall awesome. /s

/thread

Programmed_For_Damage:
Having played a short-term Titanfall demo on my Xbox One I can say it's really awesome.

Fixed.

The demo was selected and released to drum up interest and pre-orders. And it seems to have worked on you and many others.

But until we know the business model regarding DLC/microtransactions and how they're going to incorporate those "monsters" into the game/storyline, all that can be said about Titanfall is that "the demo was great!"

Ultratwinkie:
I don't think a download makes a difference. Its supposedly online only and you are said to pay for online.

So even with a physical copy, you still won't play it without being charged. Its really gonna suck i this succeeds and it becomes the norm.

I already have a gold account so that charge is a moot point. I simply like physical copies. It is easier on my internet and my hard drive. So yes, it does make a difference to ME. Oddly enough that's the only person's opinions I care about on this matter...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here