Sony Hopes the PlayStation 4 Will One Day Match PS2 Sales

Sony Hopes the PlayStation 4 Will One Day Match PS2 Sales

PlayStation 4

It'll be a tough haul but Sony is daring to dream that the PlayStation 4 might sell as many units as the legendary PlayStation 2.

The PlayStation 2 sold somewhere in the neighborhood of 155 million units in its lifetime. That's like one console for ever man, woman and child in Bangladesh, with enough left over to cover Albania. Maybe that's not a great analogy, but you get the idea: Sony has sold an awful lot of PS2s over the years.

The PlayStation 4 came out of the gate awfully hard, selling 4.2 million units between November 15 and December 28 of 2013, but does it have what it takes to match the PS2? Of course not. That's crazy talk, and it's not going to happen. But dare to dream, right?

"As we all know, unfortunately the sales of the PS3 didn't even get near the sales of the PS2. It may be difficult for a home console now, but I think we shouldn't say it's impossible unconditionally," Sony Computer Entertainment Japan President Hiroshi Kawano told Inside Games. "However, I believe it's possible to expand the popularity of the PS4 by providing a rich gaming experience and making use of the fusion of network service and high performance that is possible only on home consoles."

The plan, he said, is to continue promoting the unique features of the PlayStation 4, which some people still aren't aware of. "When we talk on whether it'll match the sales of the PS2 numerically, we'll have to do our best in the future," he said.

Doing your best seems like a fairly solid strategy overall, certainly better than just half-assing it and hoping for the best, but matching the PlayStation 2? To put it in perspective, the original PlayStation sold a little over 102 million units, according to Wikipedia, the Xbox 360 has thus far moved 83 million units, the PlayStation 3 sits at 80 million and the great NES, 62 million. The only systems to approach the PS2 are Nintendo's DS and Game Boy handhelds, which achieved sales of 154 million and 119 million units respectively. Can the PlayStation 4 really live up to that?

Source: DualShockers

THAT would be amazing.
But I just don't see it.

I think the reason the PS2 sold so well is that it came out as a fairly reasonably priced DVD player, that could play CD, AND video games.

I know tons of people who's non-gamer family members bought a PS2 JUST for the DVD player bit.

Tanis:
THAT would be amazing.
But I just don't see it.

I think the reason the PS2 sold so well is that it came out as a fairly reasonably priced DVD player, that could play CD, AND video games.

I know tons of people who's non-gamer family members bought a PS2 JUST for the DVD player bit.

yup, and to this day I still say this is something that screws the wii/wiiU department, it sounds silly but it is such an easy and nice thing to have for a room put in with your gaming console. My family had 3 ps2's in the house just for that reason. (blu ray was bloody expensive back when the ps3 came out, so that kind've of backfired at the time, but once again later on in its lifecycle, my family got a ps3 for the blu-ray player)

herp derp at that horrible grammar.

First, where are you getting your numbers for this? They're off by a couple million on a few of the consoles.

According to VGChartz:
NES: 61.91 Million Units (10th overall)
Gameboy: 118.68 million units (3rd overall)
DS: 154.88 million units (2nd overall)
PS1: 104.25 million units (4th overall)
PS2: 157.68 million units (1st overall)
PS3: 82.5 million units (6th overall)
Xbox 360: 81.12 million units (8th overall)

I get that you're rounding, but your figures also indicate that 360 sold better than the PS3, which is untrue. Sure they aren't far off, but accuracy is appreciated in such stories. Should be noted Gameboy Advance came in between PS3 and 360 with 81.51 million units sold.

Anyway, I think that is everyone's dream in the business world. Sell as well as that one legendarily grand success. Even if that one success is your own. I don't think they'll be able to pull it off, but selling 100 million in say 5-7 years I don't think is impossible, especially depending on the competition. Of the three current consoles, I think PS4 has the best chance to come close to such sales.

Should be noted that the only real competition the PS2 had was the Gamecube and Xbox. Both of which sold extremely poorly, neither breaking 25 million units sold. PS1 was only really competing against the N64, which didn't sell too well either at 32.94 million units sold. In order for PS4 to manage such high sales, the Xbox One and Wii U would have to effectively implode upon themselves. Wii U isn't looking salvageable right now, but the Xbox One could certainly prove a worthy competitor. If so, I doubt either will sell in very high numbers.

Long story short, I only think the PS4 can hope to do anywhere near even PS1 sales if the competitors really stagnate. Yes, many people buy more than one console, but plenty don't.

Bring on the backwards compatibility, and the PS4 has a real chance at this.

After watching this weeks Jimquisition, I have a hard time believing that any of the consoles will do well at all this generation. The only gamers they will be able to hold onto will be the online fps fans. But maybe (since they're willing to pay for online) that will end up being more profitable for them.

I have a hard time seeing this happening. There is reason to believe it could: The PS4 is by far the most dominant so far this generation, the gaming community has grown substantially since the PS2 era and will continue to grow this generation, and the fastest growth of the PS4 is still likely a couple years into the future. Still, with those few things going for it, I just don't see it dominating like the PS2 did or getting the unprecedentedly strong support either. I guess we'll see what happens after games like Titanfall release, though. If the Xbox One can't provide any reasonable competition to the PS4, it may just take off and reach the PS2's sales numbers. Maybe.

I don't think anything can really ever match the numbers that the mighty PS2 had, heck the closet thing to it is the Nintendo DS and that's it. I mean, I can see the PS4 selling more than possibly the PS3 in it's lifetime since it's been having quite a good launch for it as opposed to it's older brother, but almost nothing will ever make it as popular as the PS2.

There is one possibility though, and that's for them to add possible emulation for PS1 and PS2 games onto the PS4. Now I don't say PS3 because pretty much there is no such thing as a PS3 emulator that exists, and that's because of Sony's decision to use that damned Cell architecture, but PS1 and PS2 emulation is easily done nowadays. Since the PS4 has so much RAM in it and the x86 system it can be possible for them to add emulation to the system, and then that would effectively shift the PS4's total games library to a possible maximum of 6288 (I say maximum because of possible compatibility issues). I know that if Sony were to create that, then I'd buy a PS4 instantly and would finally retire my PS2 which is gonna be turning 9 years old this year and still gets a lot of use.

erbkaiser:
Bring on the backwards compatibility, and the PS4 has a real chance at this.

That would indeed clinch it. For while PS4 has had alot going for it, it still closed a few crucial doors.

"Hope into one hand, shit in the other and see which one fills up first motherfucker" -Yahtzee
I don't know if that's the exact quote but i always remember it when somebody has set their hopes way to high.
Though, I'm pretty certain every console dev would have that kind of hope but still...

crimsonshrouds:
"Hope into one hand, shit in the other and see which one fills up first motherfucker" -Yahtzee
I don't know if that's the exact quote but i always remember it when somebody has set their hopes way to high.
Though, I'm pretty certain every console dev would have that kind of hope but still...

While the hopes are getting a bit too high I think, you can't really blame them for being a bit too optimistic. I mean hell, remember when a bunch of people, me included, thought that selling 5 million PS4s by the end of the Japanese fiscal year was way too high, yet Sony managed to do it before the console even launch in Asian regions. If Sony plays it's cards right this gen, then they have a shot at coming close. But again, I don't think anything will ever really topple the PS2 on the home console front. Handhelds, more than likely one day a handheld will sell more than the PS2, but home console wise I don't think so.

Neronium:

crimsonshrouds:

While the hopes are getting a bit too high I think, you can't really blame them for being a bit too optimistic. I mean hell, remember when a bunch of people, me included, thought that selling 5 million PS4s by the end of the Japanese fiscal year was way too high, yet Sony managed to do it before the console even launch in Asian regions. If Sony plays it's cards right this gen, then they have a shot at coming close. But again, I don't think anything will ever really topple the PS2 on the home console front. Handhelds, more than likely one day a handheld will sell more than the PS2, but home console wise I don't think so.

Optimism isn't really the problem... Think, like Dark souls you have just avoided some traps and defeated some enemies only to fall through a hole and die seconds after your accomplishments. I worry that they might screw up after they have done so well. They're not the best company out there by any means but it does help when Microsoft has so much contempt for their own customers that they sent them screaming towards PlayStation and Nintendo.

crimsonshrouds:
Optimism isn't really the problem... Think, like Dark souls you have just avoided some traps and defeated some enemies only to fall through a hole and die seconds after your accomplishments. I worry that they might screw up after they have done so well. They're not the best company out there by any means but it does help when Microsoft has so much contempt for their own customers that they sent them screaming towards PlayStation and Nintendo.

Well Sony is also balancing out and trying to fix their other sectors as well. With the selling of their PC division that will at least put some burden off of them, now if only they'd just fully sell the TV one. I do know that they are starting to wane that one off though. Really though there are a lot of things it seems Sony learned from last gen that they've put into practice at least. For one, Ken Kutaragi isn't around so the actual manufacturing costs for the PS4 were given to Sony, and they weren't lied too about the costs; they decided to put Mark Cerney in charge of the system's design and how it would be made, like how Nintendo put Miyamoto in charge of the Wii's design and construction; then there have been some good ads and they've been marketing the console well as opposed to how Nintendo hasn't even tried with the Wii U marketing wise and Microsoft won't stop shooting their own feet.

Really though, it depends on if they don't get too big-headed and how they handle the generation really, which is definitely more positive already then it was for the PS3 that's for sure. I'm not saying the PS4 has a simple golden pathway laid out for them and they have nothing to worry, but if they managed to not be stupid then they have a chance. Which I think is good because this could give some good competition, and with competition often times breeds good products to compete with.

Neronium:

crimsonshrouds:

Well Sony is also balancing out and trying to fix their other sectors as well. With the selling of their PC division that will at least put some burden off of them, now if only they'd just fully sell the TV one. I do know that they are starting to wane that one off though. Really though there are a lot of things it seems Sony learned from last gen that they've put into practice at least. For one, Ken Kutaragi isn't around so the actual manufacturing costs for the PS4 were given to Sony, and they weren't lied too about the costs; they decided to put Mark Cerney in charge of the system's design and how it would be made, like how Nintendo put Miyamoto in charge of the Wii's design and construction; then there have been some good ads and they've been marketing the console well as opposed to how Nintendo hasn't even tried with the Wii U marketing wise and Microsoft won't stop shooting their own feet.

Really though, it depends on if they don't get too big-headed and how they handle the generation really, which is definitely more positive already then it was for the PS3 that's for sure. I'm not saying the PS4 has a simple golden pathway laid out for them and they have nothing to worry, but if they managed to not be stupid then they have a chance. Which I think is good because this could give some good competition, and with competition often times breeds good products to compete with.

I couldn't agree more with your post and i must thank you for this conversation. Haven't had many good conversations in these forums in a while. have a great nigh/day.

crimsonshrouds:
I couldn't agree more with your post and i must thank you for this conversation. Haven't had many good conversations in these forums in a while. have a great nigh/day.

No problem, glad to have a nice civil conversation as well. Have a good day/evening/night to you as well. Now off to do some homework instead of procrastinating! XD

Their aren't any games I want to play on either console yet. I think Sony needs to worry more about getting their core audience to care right now than they do the distant future general audience. Hope E3 has some amazing stuff to show.

I don't know about rest of the world, but PS2 emulator (disc support) will get a sale out of me.

i doubt it will

the PS2 truthly was the best console ever made, everything that followed has just failed to capture what made consoles great once

Tanis:
THAT would be amazing.
But I just don't see it.

Indeed, the PS2 did launch a bit pricy but so were DVD players at the time, and it killed the problem of buying more things for your media enjoyment, something the Gamecube and Original Xbox didn't seem to understand (yes xbox did play DVDs but ONLY if you used the not included remote...or mod-chipped it)

PS3 HAD that chance as it had a BR player but the launch was absolutely botched and then some, PS4 now has the competing XBone which has a BR player as well.

That being said I think the PS2 and PS3 were many peoples first DVD and BR players haha...actually PS1 was my first CD player stereo too...Welp, I didn't even think about that.

Er, either way, they do have a lot to do with the PS4 to get anything like that, multitasking and other such things would help but as it stands, it's neither a cheap BR player, console, nor does it do things a PC or tablet capitalize on with multifunctionality.

Unlikely. A lot of gamers moved to PC or mobile market and while the gamer demographic is growing overall the console part of it is shrinking as evident by last generation sales. last generation total sold less than the PS2 generation. There is also the fact that most often reason i was given for not buying a console is that it simply doesnt have any games worth playing or that it cant even do bare minimum in processing power. While this may be fixable eventually by that time many people will have moved on. Consoles are hemmoraging blood fast now and theres only so much of it till you die from blood loss.

Give it proper, complete backwards compatibility and who knows- it might. It might...

The problem for Sony is; the Xbox exists. At the time the PS2 had no contender for it's target demographic, but since the rise of the xbox the market has split between the two. In actuality it's split three ways, with the advent of Steam luring a bunch of gamers back to the ye old PC.

The PS4 really hasn't got a nich to fill like the PS2 did function as a media center, and with the removal of watching movies off of external Hard Drives and nuking the media server capabilities of the PS3 (all in a bid to make us pay for their subscription serives, feck no). I'm good for using my PS4 as a games machine, but in a few years time I don't really see myself investing in a PS5.

Seriously inFAMOUS Second Son is teh only game I'm looking foward to this year. If it's a flounderer to consider my hopes washed.

Well, its hardly like it has much competition. The WiiU is an absolute joke and will be lucky to break 10 million units, and the Xbone is flatlining after its launch. Its pretty much running unopposed - just like the Ps2 did.

GonzoGamer:
After watching this weeks Jimquisition, I have a hard time believing that any of the consoles will do well at all this generation. The only gamers they will be able to hold onto will be the online fps fans. But maybe (since they're willing to pay for online) that will end up being more profitable for them.

Ypou are aware that Jim didn't actually name a single person who isn't supporting the Ps4, right (Okay, apart from Molyneux, but really who gives a shit what he does)? The time when PC gamers could pretend that they had some kind of monopoly on indie games has long since passed. Hell, a port of Papers, Please just got announced.

The Ps4 is not gonna lack for content either from the Indies or the AAA market. And there lies its strength

They would have sold a lot more if they fucking supplied the things. I went through a bunch of stores just to find one a couple weeks ago, months after launch. I was told by several stores that they weren't expecting to get any more until late march. (I actually found one by pure accident taking a shot in the dark by trying a gamestop that was next to somewhere I went to eat out in bumfuck nowhere funny enough.)

My point is that right now it's difficult for a consumer who wants to buy a PS4 to even do it, so for them to be saying "WE HOPE WE CAN SELL 155 MILLION PS4S" is pretty damn rich. I understand the reality of the situation is probably that they sold way more than they thought they would in the west, and now they have to focus on their Japanese launch rather than supply more to us, but still. Hopefully they get their shit together and make it happen. Gaming was in a good place last time Sony was on top.

Well, its got a similar competition in the sense of the PS2. PS2 was up against the first Xbox, which was a "Huh? MS makes a vidya game thing?", and the Gamecube, which struggled to get out the gate much like the WiiU has. Xbone's level of self-sabotage has certainly kicked it a bit, and the WiiU's struggles are well documented.

That said, its lacking the utility of the PS2, or even the PS3 as a standalone media player, being too high on the price level to compete with basic blu-ray boxes (or even the recent wave of standalone "smart boxes" that allow any TV to do netflix/youtube/etc).

The dwindling amount of games being produced (unless it gets a lot more of an indie market going, and finds some way to market those titles to people who don't have a Playstation and can't see PSN) also means its library won't reach the massive amounts of the PS2, even ignoring the backwards compatibility debate.

The real measure of who's getting the upper hand is probably still in the future though. None of the consoles have dropped their "killer apps" yet (Sony and MS because they obviously rushed themselves out after the WiiU dropped, Nintendo for whatever reason, unless they're deluded enough to consider 2d Mario retreads as one).

The only reason I still keep my PS3 around is for all the PS2 re-releases they did. MGS3 and SotC are some of the best games on the PS3.

There is literally no reason to get a console, nowadays. Before everyone had a PC, Consoles used to bring good graphics in accessible formats.
Now they're just used as extra hardware hurdles to certain franchises.

So I want to buy a shirt. Maybe I could buy a washing machine bundled with the new shirt. It might be a great offer, but the fact remains that I don't need a washing machine.
Oh you mean you can ONLY buy the bundle? And after that I don't have to buy any washing machines from you anymore? Great, but I still don't need a washing machine.
I have several older ones lying around that I don't even use anymore because my PC does it better, and doesn't require me to update the firmware everytime I want to take it on a nostalgia trip.

Strazdas:
Unlikely. A lot of gamers moved to PC or mobile market and while the gamer demographic is growing overall the console part of it is shrinking as evident by last generation sales. last generation total sold less than the PS2 generation.

PS2 Generation: 209 million console sales
PS2: 155
GCube: 22
Xbox: 24
DreamCast: 8

PS3 Generation: 264 million console sales
PS3: 82
Wii: 101
360: 81

from http://www.vgchartz.com/analysis/platform_totals/

On topic;
I can't blame them ( or maybe I should say him? ) for their attitude, better for them to try to reach the 155 mark rather than giving up out of the gate. I'm sure no one was expecting the PS1 to sell over 100 million units or the PS2 to sell 155 million units when they were released, yet they did.

Toadfish1:

Ypou are aware that Jim didn't actually name a single person who isn't supporting the Ps4, right (Okay, apart from Molyneux, but really who gives a shit what he does)? The time when PC gamers could pretend that they had some kind of monopoly on indie games has long since passed. Hell, a port of Papers, Please just got announced.

The Ps4 is not gonna lack for content either from the Indies or the AAA market. And there lies its strength

I get that and everything (hell, the ps3 always had a good deal of indie games too) but the thing is the price point has been switched. I have a lot of consoles because they used to be quick, cheap, and easy ways of playing games with people on my couch. Now if you get a ps4 and pay for online,(assuming the ps4 will be supported as long as Sony says it will) you're going to end up paying around $900 by the time you're done; even more with the xbone. You can play a lot of indie games off a cheap $300 pc (hell, you can find one for that price which will play current AAA games) and you don't have to pay an extra online fee. Between that and the phasing out of local multiplayer for online multiplayer (another move that can make a lot of money for Sony, MS, & publishers but sucks for us) I don't really have much of a reason to have a console anymore; unless it was a Wiiu, if that had any games I wanted. The other difference is that I do need a pc in my home but I don't need a console. A lot of people bought a ps2 because they "needed" a dvd player. What are people going to need from the ps4?

It just all seems counter-intuitive: if they want to get as much market saturation as the ps2 had, they're going to have to find a way to keep the gamers like me who are losing interest in consoles, as well as all the people they pissed off last gen by dropping bc and adding things like online passes. They all seem to have made consoles that are even more overspecialized, more expensive, and appeal to an even smaller group of gamers. And I thought that's what they were going after: a smaller group of gamers who are willing to spend more money.

Tanis:
THAT would be amazing.
But I just don't see it.

It doesn't hurt that it also had a ton of games. Which is kind of an issue with both the major consoles right now.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here