Candy Crush Studio Drops "Candy" Trademark Application - Update

Candy Crush Studio Drops "Candy" Trademark Application - Update

Candy Crush Saga artwork

Candy Crush Saga maker King has given up its effort to trademark the word "candy."

Update: King has confirmed in a statement that the trademark application withdrawal is legitimate, but noted that it only applies to the U.S. and that it will continue to pursue infringement of its trademarks.

"King has withdrawn its trademark application for 'Candy' in the U.S., which we applied for in February 2013 before we acquired the early rights to Candy Crusher," a spokesperson for King explained. "Each market that King operates in is different with regard to IP. We feel that having the rights to Candy Crusher is the best option for protecting Candy Crush in the U.S. market. This does not affect our E.U. trademark for Candy and we continue to take all appropriate steps to protect our IP."

Original Story:

After weeks of bad press and PR over its attempts to enforce a trademark on the word "candy," Candy Crush Saga maker King has walked away from the fight. A USPTO filing made yesterday states that the company "expressly abandons the application for trademark registration" of the word.

King filed a trademark application for "candy" in February 2013 and it was approved for publication in January of this year, after which the company began aggressively pursuing claims of infringement. While it said that it was only interested in fighting genuine cases, its actual behavior was ugly and ham-fisted, particularly its acquisition of an old IP to undercut the trademark claim of CandySwipe, a game that predated Candy Crush.

We've reached out to King for confirmation and comment and will update if and when we receive a response.

Source: USPTO

Now let's laugh in his filthy, hack scumbag face until he drops the "saga" part as well!

Great, so Ransom's effectively been double-fucked.

King basically killed him and now they're kicking him in the nuts by saying 'Y'know what? Nah, we're not gonna do this.'

Am I being overly cynical and suspicious if I think this story is not over yet? I don't know, it just feels like there is more, or going to be more.

It's so weird to see an Internet Shitstorm actually work as intended. What's next, a movie to close off Firefly, or a cable network deciding to bring back Heroes!?

This changes nothing.

The Internet hate machine will not forget and it will not forgive you King.

TiberiusEsuriens:
It's so weird to see an Internet Shitstorm actually work as intended. What's next, a movie to close off Firefly, or a cable network deciding to bring back Heroes!?

Please tell me that the firefly thing is happening,and you're being sarcastic, because Heroes is totally coming back you know.

The Hungry Samurai:

TiberiusEsuriens:

Please tell me that the firefly thing is happening,and you're being sarcastic, because Heroes is totally coming back you know.

they already did, it is called serenity

I guess you could say it was too "sweet" for them to handle. Well ok that didn't make sense at all, I will take my leave...

The Hungry Samurai:

TiberiusEsuriens:

He's being sarcastic; there was a Firefly movie...

The Hungry Samurai:

TiberiusEsuriens:

Who knows...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379786/?ref_=nv_sr_1

It's good that they've given up their silly campaign against all that is candy, but do they still claim ownership of 'Saga'? We have to remember that they didn't do it out of the good of their hearts though, it's because they've probably seen a noticeable drop in revenue and had a crap load of bad PR.

I hope the whole legal stuff connected to this cost them a ton of money. Too bad their trademark BS is also costing other developers time and money.

So I guess the lawyer fees were getting too costly? Other then shutting down a few no-name competitors this whole escapade hasn't netted them a lot of money.

But thanks to their antics I hate their company, guess that was one thing that came out of all this.

Darn. And I was just about to put in my applications to trademark "the" and "of" to!

kuiper:

The Hungry Samurai:

TiberiusEsuriens:

they already did, it is called serenity

Reed Spacer:

The Hungry Samurai:

TiberiusEsuriens:

He's being sarcastic; there was a Firefly movie...

CriticalMiss:

The Hungry Samurai:

TiberiusEsuriens:

Who knows...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379786/?ref_=nv_sr_1

It's good that they've given up their silly campaign against all that is candy, but do they still claim ownership of 'Saga'? We have to remember that they didn't do it out of the good of their hearts though, it's because they've probably seen a noticeable drop in revenue and had a crap load of bad PR.

You know I realized that almost immediately after typing it. For some reason the synapses upstairs misfired at the joke referencing an 8 year old movie and I thought he was hinting at the making of ANOTHER Firefly movie.

Looks like it was...

*Puts on sunglasses*

...a little TO sweet.

Haven't we learned from Mr. Edge that trying to claim ownership of a WORD is just plain stupid?

TiberiusEsuriens:

Or the US Trademark system worked. Today was the first day that objections to the trademark of "Candy" could start to be filed. I think King had a pretty clear idea that the trademark was doomed. It would be interesting to find out why their lawyers ever thought they could get that mark. I don't think the internet had much to do with it, really. If a company has a legitimate trademark, I can't see them backing down on protecting it because someone on the internet is mad.

Ratty:
Darn. And I was just about to put in my applications to trademark "the" and "of" to!

You can file that if you want and probably no one will care. You don't operate a business using "the" and "of" as the brand do you? Are you planning on defending that in court? If not, the registration won't even matter. You don't "own" a word if the USPTO lists your trademark.

cursedseishi:
Now let's laugh in his filthy, hack scumbag face until he drops the "saga" part as well!

It's basically already "dropped". It was already suspened by the USPTO. I don't know if there will be any other action by King, but they probably aren't going to pursue it further. I think that part of the story is dead. It seems like these stories pop up, but the resolution never appears. Like the case with CandySwipe. I think the two sides probably just sign NDAs and that's it.

Anyway, King is pretty horrible, but the US Trademark system seems to be working properly. I have no idea what is going on over in Europe though.

Frankly, I'm glad King tried to trademark the word 'candy'. I'm hoping these idiotic actions will bleed the company dry. Keep 'em coming, King!

I found Candy Crush lacking (deleted it after three days), and prefer Jewel Mania, partly because it's not owned by assholes. Of course, things can change at the drop of a hat, but I'll take things as they are for now.

"This does not affect our E.U. trademark for Candy and we continue to take all appropriate steps to protect our IP."

"appropriate steps". At what point has King EVER taken appropriate steps during any part of this whole mess? The fact alone that those words are used confirms for me that, even without the candy trademark, their horrible behavior is going to remain the same. What King has been doing, in their eyes, is correct and justifiable. One act of backing down after an extreme amount of bad PR is not evidence that the actual practice of going after smaller companies is going to change.

How about an act of good will toward the people you've already forced out of business? Remember them, King?

Withdrawal is not an option, King. We are smarter than that. The internet will hate you forever, and you deserve all of the hate you get.

So, wait. Based off the update they still have the trademark for CandyCrusher. Right? Which means they can still sue anyone they think is infringing on that trademark which is still, in their minds, anyone who has the word candy or crush in it.

Not really a happy endin there.

Yeah, I don't care in the slightest what they do to try and salvage any goodwill. I will never touch a King game because of this dickishness and I will continue to advise others to do the same. Goddamn vultures.

Too little.
Too late.
Screw them!

"In retrospect, we're content with this pretty sweet mockery of the system we already have, so it's not like we need two of them."

So... they've changed nothing. They have withdrawn their application for blanket trademark in the U.S. only and are still using a bought IP they are squatting on to beat other people around the head with. They are still sailing as close to the wind as possible and being as aggressive as possible.

Many people loose sight of the irony of this. King is a clone studio. It creates nothing but clones of existing games with color vomit graphics now obligatory to the toxic touch gaming landscape. They are bottom feeders; they hire people through the many flash portal services on contract basis and use them to create their cloned games. They literally have no merit, no creative worth and no redeeming qualities. They are a gaming cancer. They are not a traditional gaming studio. They have no shame, they will never be guilted into anything by consumer reaction.

Now King, please go thoroughly fuck yourself and take your terrible skinner box of a game with you. King had no right trying to trademark the word 'Candy'; 'Candy crush' might have been a more reasonable trademark, but they had to go full on greedy.

So essentially they drop one of many claims AFTER fucking everyone up over it?
yeah, smells like professional trolling and publicity stunt here. King seems to be more maliciuos that we thought.

Chimpzy:
Am I being overly cynical and suspicious if I think this story is not over yet? I don't know, it just feels like there is more, or going to be more.

Of course its not over. Dropping one of many ridiculous claims and still promising to pursue them anyway is far from over.

TiberiusEsuriens:
What's next, a movie to close off Firefly

Its called serenity.

Valderis:
This changes nothing.

Nor should it. King deserves it and its not like King actually abandon its stupid claims. it only dropped one of many trademarks it filed for, and only in US to boot.
Besides, companies should NOT be forgiven the moment they decide to turn around. this means there is no responsibility for their actions. King must die regardless of what it does now. they already went over the line.

I don't think King realizes that if a big company had done exactly what it is doing right now it would not exist. King is a merchant of stolen ideas that has been ALLOWED to live. If someone, somewhere with enough money and intellectual property to throw about had taken a dislike to them they wouldn't be here.

Like i said above, it is a brazen insult for a studio who only exist to feed off others ideas and work to send complaints to a studio like Stoic. This is simply what they are doing to unrelated IPs, can you imagine what a nightmare it must be for anyone trying to get a game with 'candy' in the title onto a mobile platform?

King.com don't make games. I don't mean this on a philosophical level either although that argument could also be made. I mean it literally. King.com use third party flash game makers on a contract basis; they get someone else to make clones of popular games, retain the IP (and therefore all of the profit) and pay those who have lifted a finger a tiny fraction of the games earnings.

King.com is purely a horrible, greedy, spiteful publisher that feeds of the industry. If King was to go out of business tomorrow nothing of any worth would be lost. There wouldn't be a single job loss we could feel sorry for; as a corporate entity they are made up of lawyers, bought or stolen I.P. and dubious upper management.

They are NOT a game developer.

Strazdas:

TiberiusEsuriens:
What's next, a movie to close off Firefly

Its called serenity.

I love it when people completely miss my sarcasm ;-)

Chimpzy:

It's totally not over.

Valderis:
This changes nothing.

Well, for one, they're still pursuing it in the UK, so it's not a sea change. For another, I'm not sure why anyone should forget.

Very few companies make me want to pull the GTA V Lester move and blow up their heads with a cell-phone bomb, but King Software is one of them. Seriously, would anything of value be lost if someone just rolled up to their studio with a bunch of AK-47s and just laid waste to the building?

Gah, I've got too much pent-up stress from listening to the news about these guys. And how is the whole Saga trademark thing going? Is Banner Saga still facing a cease-and-desist order because of these dickbags? (I'm not usually one to decry a game as being "less legitimate" than others, but if there's a legitimate game to be found here, Banner Saga is the one that deserves to keep the trademark.) I can't get BS yet because of computer troubles and I'll be really sad if the company goes under before I can get their gorgeous game.

Seriously, F U King.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here