Razer is Designing a Blade Laptop with Swedish Supercar Shop Koenigsegg

Razer is Designing a Blade Laptop with Swedish Supercar Shop Koenigsegg

Laptop collaboration will debut at the Geneva International Motor Show next month.

Razer Blade Koenigsegg

Razer has announced a new partnership with Swedish supercar designer Koenigsegg, makers of the incredibly fast and striking CCX and Agera R mid-engine marvels. The first fruit borne from this alliance? A Koenigsegg-themed Razer Blade laptop.

Largely an aesthetic makeover, the Koenigsegg Blade will feature the Koenigsegg badge on the lid in lieu of the Razer logo. The changed badge is also flanked by green accents and added design lines, giving the lid a wholly new look. As for the hardware, Razer told me the partnership model will be the highest-spec Blade, complete with an Intel Core i7 quad-core CPU, Nvidia GTX 765M GPU, 8 GB of DDR3 memory, and a 512 GB SSD.

The Koenigsegg Blade will make its debut at the Geneva International Motor Show in March, being shown side-by-side with the 2013 Agera R. Because the model is not for sale, only a select few Koenigsegg owners and Razer fans will be able to obtain the limited edition Blade. Razer is currently running a giveaway on its site for a Koenigsegg Blade -- you can enter the contest here.

The Koenigsegg Blade sounds like only the start, as the limited edition laptop is only "...a first step in a long relationship from which more exciting products can be born and brought to market." Here's hoping the next project is a wholly new product, and not just an aesthetic touch-up.

Buying a gaming laptop makes zero sense to me. Especially one that will undoubtedly be incredibly expensive, no thanks to a pointless tie-in with an entirely unrelated product.

Yeh i learned my lesson with "gaming laptops" Alienware they are great but hard or just cant upgrade and after a short time.

Another day, another useless overpriced Razer product.

Seriously, does anyone buy these things?

Well, I like having a decent laptop for programming and going to LAN parties. But, I want to be able to upgrade it. By all means it gets the job done but I want something a little more stable. This looks like it will unnecessarily overpriced because of the Koenigsegg name. Besides, green isn't my color.

Giving one away? Damn, why wasn't I told sooner. Razer has been emailing me constantly ever since my first lachesis purchase over 6 years ago.

As for who's purchasing these, someone that has a job that keeps them moving, and the money to drop 2+k on a laptop every couple of years. Oh, and fanboys with money to burn, can't forget employed fanboys. It's better than a maxed out MB Pro, and will turn more heads.

When I heard they partnered with Koenigsegg I was expecting the body to be redone entirely in carbon fiber like their cars.

I love Koenigsegg and all but this is utterly stupid.
Then again this is Razer. nothing new for them to be stupid.

SKBPinkie:
Buying a gaming laptop makes zero sense to me. Especially one that will undoubtedly be incredibly expensive, no thanks to a pointless tie-in with an entirely unrelated product.

So, like ALienware?

Adam Jensen:

sadly enough people to keep them profitable.

newwiseman:

As for who's purchasing these, someone that has a job that keeps them moving, and the money to drop 2+k on a laptop every couple of years.

you forgot to add stupid enough to spend those 2k on this rather than a better gaming laptop where you dont pay half of the price for the name only.

Adam Jensen:

I bought a Deathadder. I think it's worth it.

Staying faaaaaaaaar away from all their other non-mouse/keyboard products though.

SKBPinkie:

Considering the heat any good gaming graphics card emits I'd say it's really quite silly too. You might be able to get one that is just as good as a mid end gaming desktop, but the heat will make the battery life shorten meaning you probably got a year before you need to have it connected to the wall to even have enough juice to enter Windows eliminating the purpose of a laptop.

Then there's the other components that get fried such as the graphics card. Yeah, I keep my desktop for gaming and my other, light laptop for doing work.

Strazdas:

newwiseman:

As for who's purchasing these, someone that has a job that keeps them moving, and the money to drop 2+k on a laptop every couple of years.

you forgot to add stupid enough to spend those 2k on this rather than a better gaming laptop where you dont pay half of the price for the name only.

Someone hasn't seen Apple's very successful business model, thin light and a logo are expensive. I don't get the Razer hate so many people seem to have, same with Cold Steel (knife and sword maker); I can't tell if its jealousy or just butthurt but these things are satisfying a niche market desire. Never forget that Razer was the first to really try marketing a thin and powerful laptop, though MSI is the best current deal.

The Keyboard on the Razer is top notch and the lcd touchpad mouse is functionally novel. In reality that touchpad and 512GB SSD is a huge part of the normal blade's price (Optimus mini 6 keyboard had a preorder price of $376 and doesn't include a touchscreen). They're overpriced but they're a status symbol like the Mac Pros used to be before Apple started focusing on expanding its market share.

Also, everyone seems to have only skimmed the article, these are being sold with the cars (they only make a few of those every year) and at least one given away (I didn't read the full prize info on the givaway page). Of the people drooling at this new laptop very few will be able to get one, the rest will have to settle for the 14" or 17" normal Blade offerings. And, if that's the case, they should wait for the next Intel CPU refresh for the current to price drop or for the next at near the current price.

*edit I read the givaway, One Koenigsegg - Razer Blade 14-inch Gaming Laptop (256GB) is being dolled out. Making it really unique since the ones with the cars will have top specs, probably 17" variety.

Despite being someone who likes Razer quite a lot, and also leads a lifestyle that means I absolutely cannot have either a console or desktop, none of the Razer Blade variants ever got my attention. Razer can be pretty expensive, but their products are mostly worth it (in my experience anyways). The over-pricedness only comes through with the Blade, IMO.
I've got a MSI gaming laptop that's almost twice as powerful (only the graphics card isn't quite there), and cost much less than any Blade variant.

The only interesting thing about these would be the switchblade UI, but there is a keyboard for that.

newwiseman:

Strazdas:

newwiseman:

Someone hasn't seen Apple's very successful business model, thin light and a logo are expensive. I don't get the Razer hate so many people seem to have, same with Cold Steel (knife and sword maker); I can't tell if its jealousy or just butthurt but these things are satisfying a niche market desire. Never forget that Razer was the first to really try marketing a thin and powerful laptop, though MSI is the best current deal.

The Keyboard on the Razer is top notch and the lcd touchpad mouse is functionally novel. In reality that touchpad and 512GB SSD is a huge part of the normal blade's price (Optimus mini 6 keyboard had a preorder price of $376 and doesn't include a touchscreen). They're overpriced but they're a status symbol like the Mac Pros used to be before Apple started focusing on expanding its market share.

I am aware of Apples strategy of having more marketing than technology. Their products are overpriced in the same principle. Just because i talked about Blade laptop on a thread about Blade laptop news does not mean i am not aware of other similar things.

the first sentence on your link pretty much sums up the thinking process of people that buy these things. "It may be more expensive than your PC, but at least it looks good!". Having overpriced hardware where half of the cost goes to Razer's name rather than actual device is poor excuse for having overpriced laptop for sale. Anyone paying 376 dollars for a keyboard has more money than sense.

They are going to be sold with cars, but with Koeningsegg its worth noting that they actually make cars that beat supercars at less cost than said supercars, and hardly half the money for name only (considering they are pretty much unknowns in supercar world anyway). Selling overpriced laptosp would be going out of their way to begin with.

Well they obviously should have gone with Lamborghini. Unless you're a Need for Speed fan, I don't see why they made this connection. Cars have little to nothing to do with a gaming laptop, unless you want to wreck at 200MPH because you were playing GTA V and got confused.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here