The Coolest Steampunk Keyboard You'll See All Day

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Coolest Steampunk Keyboard You'll See All Day

Ever wanted to work out your word score when writing an e-mail? Well now you can with a custom-built Scrabble-tile steampunk keyboard.

Remember this? A custom built steampunk mouse, complete with real mouse skeleton? Well, now you can have a keyboard to go with it.

The keyboard, created by Richard R. Nagy, also known as Datamancer, is the latest in his range, combining functionality with retro-futurist aesthetics, and was painstakingly created from real Scrabble tiles and a USB mechanical keyboard.

Nagy said of the keyboard:
"This keyboard was commissioned by a couple of friends of mine from back east (NJ) who are avid Scrabble players... This keyboard was going into a Mac environment so I decided to use brushed aluminum for the casing and round all of the corners to keep with the sleek, simple Macintosh styling. Near the end of the build, I decided that the keyboard looked a little too minimalist so I added some silver hardware and a seam to put a slightly industrialized twist on the design."

(Thanks to Malygris for the title!)

WANT!

Lord_Ascendant:
WANT!

Seconded.

I win at Scrabble anyway.

interest growing... looks like a fun keyboard.

I will say that my laptop keyboard has the same style of keys (flat, I mean, instead of raised like most keyboards) and I love it. However, having a solid wood keyboard like that seems like it could be pretty cool, although the height of it seems like it could get aggravating.

nilcypher:
Remember this?

Wish I could...

I also want this keyboard. I love laptop keyboards because of the awesome flat keys that just skip along underneath my fingertips.

I think it would of looked better with wood casing instead of the silly silver hardware. Otherwise; awesome!

A scrabble keyboard. I would buy it.

http://www.datamancer.net/keyboards/ergo1/ergo1.htm
I think this one is a little more steampunk. Made by the same person

ChocoCake:

nilcypher:
Remember this?

Wish I could...

Apologies. The link should work now.

ChocoCake:

nilcypher:
Remember this?

Wish I could...

Seconded, "who" put an "admin only" URL in ?
Sorry Nil it still does not work :

403 Error: Access Denied

This page is available to site staff members only.

If you feel you are getting this message in error, please contact a site administrator for assistance.

That is major pwnage. I should get one of those for my granny, she is the queen of scrabble.

Cyclomega:
Sorry Nil it still does not work :

403 Error: Access Denied

This page is available to site staff members only.

If you feel you are getting this message in error, please contact a site administrator for assistance.

Click the original link, not the one quoted.

Pirce:
LIES!

http://steampunkworkshop.com/keyboard.shtml

This is.

That's the same guy.

fullmetalangel:
Isn't the whole point of steampunk technology to NOT use electricity? I don't see a single mention of actual steam power in this article. It looks steampunk anyway...

Too true, would be interesting to seeone that ACTUALLY uses steam. O.o

That keyboard is epic win..

I would want mine to look like an old typewriter keyboard, with mock pearl or ivory inlayed keys.

While it is awesome, it should have more steam. Like steam power source? Steam pressure gauges and maybe a steam powered clock? Oh, who cares.

I'm going to go steal borrow it now. Because I like it.

Looks kinda cool in that picture, cant say the same about the full version, damn that thing is thick.

Exactly how is this "steampunk"? Its cool, but the term steampunk just doesn't apply.

it looks nice but im not sure how good it would be in practise

zacaron:
it looks nice but im not sure how good it would be in practise

Agreed. I certainly wouldn't want this as my main keyboard. But it's a neat piece of art.

How'd he get all the Fs?

HobbesMkii:
How'd he get all the Fs?

Some of the tiles are custom made.

Hmm... This reminds me of a conversation I had with Sammyfreak. It seems I was right; a line of steampunk keyboards would sell!

I was going to jump into the fray and say that unless it was based on buckling-spring keyboards, it was automatically crap. Fortunately, I have the pleasure of not having to say that, because this guy obviously knows his keyboards, and only uses the finest keyboards ever made to base his designs from.

I speak, of course, of the IBM/Unicomp Model M. Whoever uses that will have one of the finest tactile keyboards ever produced, and it'll be nearly indestructible to boot. It gives me great pleasure to be able to approve of this project, unlike the steampunk mouse, which seemed horribly out of place in any context. This is, at the very least, a lot more plausible, and being based on the Model M is a great relief.

(I'm starting to hate rubber-dome keyboards. I'm buying myself a Model M of my own.)

I must have this thing for my new PC. Now I know to make it steam-punk themed.

This is not steampunk!

It's a normal keyboard with wood and steel instead of plastic.
The mouse was way more spectacular.

Kukul:
This is not steampunk!

But surely, at the very core of Steampunk is the recreation of modern technology using archaic building materials? Ultimately, steampunk is an aesthetic.

nilcypher:

Kukul:
This is not steampunk!

But surely, at the very core of Steampunk is the recreation of modern technology using archaic building materials? Ultimately, steampunk is an aesthetic.

But they use wood and steel in modern mainstreem laptops. They are not archaic materials. This keyboard would be steampunk if... well if there was any suggestion it runs on steam.
That or some other feature that is clearly vintage.

This is pretty cool, but it would be cooler if I actually knew exactly what "steampunk" was...

Meh... I think the mouse was cooler...

I dont think it's really steampunk( I only have a basic idea of what that means) but I would buy a scrabble keyboard.

I'd rather have the Underwood replica keyboard than the Scrabble keyboard, myself (I learned to type on an Underwood manual, albeit a 20th century model) but both are cool.

-- Steve

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or