The Order: 1886 Reveals Actual Gameplay Footage

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

The Order: 1886 Reveals Actual Gameplay Footage

The Order: 1886 is an alternate-history shooter in which the Knights of the Round Table battle to save the world from supernatural threats in the late 19th century.

The Order: 1886 sounds like a fantastic idea, plopping the preternaturally long-lived descendants of King Arthur's Court into a steampunk Victorian-era London, where they must battle half-human, half-beast creatures who have humanity on the ropes. Making things worse, the lower classes have rebelled against the rich and the martial law they've imposed to keep order among the masses. The alternate-Earth setting blends old and new technology, bringing things like automatic weapons and wireless communications to the grim, grey aftermath of the Industrial Revolution.

It sounds great, yes, but it looks a little less than that based on the footage in this new trailer. The guns go boom and I love the outfits, but the actual gameplay looks like very stock, cover-based corridor shooting, interspersed with always-lovely quicktime events - and I can't say that the dialog ("I'm making it my business to find out!") really rocks my world either.

It is admittedly just a tiny slice of the pie, but it's reasonable to assume that Sony would want to put its best foot (or at least a pretty good one) forward in a gameplay reveal. This isn't bad by any stretch, but it's not really knocking my socks off, either.

The Order: 1886 comes out later this year, exclusively for the PlayStation 4.

Source: YouTube

Kudos to the engine that they are using, but it just looks like another linear third-person cover shooter with far too many cutscenes and QTE's, so nothing really special here.

Oo, pretty. And did I see reaction animation when a bullets bounces off the chest high wall your hiding behind? That's a step forward right?

It's a bit too jumbled to really get a good idea of what the gameplay has to offer. Obviously shooting, but that could mean anything. Looks like kind of a rush job trailer.

Really doesn't look good. Linear cover-based shooter with QTEs? Who thought we needed more of those?

Yeah, not enough info to really make an informed decision, but I do like the drum magazine on that old timey, Lewis-looking, machine gun at the end.

Ok, that looks very pretty, but... eh. Looks like your standard cover-based shooter. Not too impressed.

luvd1:
Oo, pretty. And did I see reaction animation when a bullets bounces off the chest high wall your hiding behind? That's a step forward right?

Off the top of my head Gears of War and Uncharted had that. Uncharted even had Drake ducking and weaving when he was running and being shot at.

As people have said, gameplay looks stock and the dialogue swung from hmmm to errgg but the setting and story may even things out and make it worth a buy.

Pretty. But actual gameplay?

Looked like cinematic after cinematic with quicktime events in between. Ok there were wide gaps in that trailer, but still, there was very little playing involved.

Is anybody actually surprised by it being rather run of the mill? Most games these days are, call of duty gets small mechwarriors and people lose their fucking shit over it.

Innovation is for indies, high production value for AAA, that is just the world we live in now.

I'm not going to judge it yet. If nothing else the gameplay feels really atmospheric so with the setting that's enough to keep me interested.

ANOTHER Goddamn shooter? REALLY? Why not an action RPG? Welp, who's prepared for this thing to be wonderfully average?

The real question here is, "Does it have a bridge level?"

I'm serious, it seems like every other game these days is set in generic victorian fake England where everything is run-down and plagued by mysterious zombie-rat diseases, and all their artwork is starting to melt together in my head.

There should be some kind of law enacted banning QTEs from games.

How lame. I've already played Gears of War. I don't need to do it again in the 19th century.

I do agree that the gameplay was less than amazing, but like others the setting is quite interesting. From the interview I saw last week ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfHUvthiwBI ) things don't sound too bad. For one thing the first E3 trailer I thought it would be a steam punk, squad, class based, 3rd person shooter. While not quite up to that standard it's still promising. I want to see more mysticism rather than industrial innovation. You're facing monsters, you'd think they'd have something magical. Maybe something along the lines of Bio Shock. As for the QTE looks like they're almost taking the Heavy Rain/Beyond two souls route. I might not pick it up on release date, but worth a rental if it's just a shooter.

Awkward cuts in the trailer they made. But hopefully this is better than it looks.

Mcoffey:
How lame. I've already played Gears of War. I don't need to do it again in the 19th century.

Heh, Gears of War is clunky as heck. Gears of War wasn't a very good example of the cover based shooter, it was just an early AAA example of it.

We'll have to wait and see if this is as generic as it looks or if it manages a special air of its own given the world they've created.

luvd1:

Gears of War games have always had it. In fact in Gears 3 depending where the bullets hit the cover they'll react differently. I've seen Marcus put a hand over his head and hunker down more as if to say "shit that was close" on occasions.

Andy Chalk:

The Order: 1886 is an alternate-history shooter in which the Knights of the Round Table battle to save the world from supernatural threats in the late 19th century.

Glad to see triple A titles finally exploring new storytelling avenues in the quest for pathos. They need to add some Nazis as well.

TiberiusEsuriens:
The real question here is, "Does it have a bridge level?"

I'm serious, it seems like every other game these days is set in generic victorian fake England where everything is run-down and plagued by mysterious zombie-rat diseases, and all their artwork is starting to melt together in my head.

nah no bridge level

They will revive the sewer level and it will be so realistic that you can almost smell the sewer!

Cover-based shooter with burly men, QTEs, and guns that seem to perform almost the same.

... Please tell me that there's more to this game. The concept is too awesome to be wasted on another generic cover-based shooter.

Most of the actual gameplay in that video has been attached to numerous other preview videos for the game where people actually talked about the gamplay itself. Watching those preview videos they point out some of the interesting mechanics of the game unlike the above video.

Looks more like a graphics showcase than an interesting game. Which is unfortunate because I want this to be good. And I guess with the graphics like that this won't be a particularly long game. But won't really know till it's out. It could end up fantastic. And I hope it does.

oh joy, 3rd person cover based exclusives

do we have gears of war to blame for all this?

Could be fun but we'll wait and see. This might push me to getting a ps4.

Laggyteabag:
Kudos to the engine that they are using, but it just looks like another linear third-person cover shooter with far too many cutscenes and QTE's, so nothing really special here.

rofltehcat:
Really doesn't look good. Linear cover-based shooter with QTEs? Who thought we needed more of those?

I think this is the problem with the push towards being 'next gen' on a new console, you just end up with prettier and prettier corridors. Endless cutscenes painstakingly pieced together so the player can't ruin the illusion and drop the frame-rate to 15 because they looked in the wrong direction and loaded more than two character models with the SSAO enabled.

Gaming should be more about ambition and scope. Even with the higher power of the PS4 when compared to the rest of the console field you simply aren't going to be able to add all the fancy new graphics you want whilst maintaining a sense of freedom.

With an AMD netbook processor and a down-clocked version of mainstream AMD GPU from 2012 i don't think we should be expecting the earth. What i do see from the specs is not room for all the shiny shiny graphics but a real possibility of an expansion of game size.

Huh.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable playing an ornately decorated knight who has literal gold neck protection shooting rabble rebel rabble who are only really "rebels" because they don't want to be worked to death in a factory owned by some noble. I mean that angle is a little... odd. I get that rebels against the queen's peace is kind of a bad thing for the britishly inclined, but literally going out there and machine gunning working class sods because they're breaking martial law when I could (And should) be focusing on fighting werewolves?

Yeaaaaaahh...

So, cinematic, run down a narrow hall of chest-walls, cinematic with QTEs. More hallway of chest walls. Cinematic.

It looks pretty, but the (shown) gameplay is on the level of the Time Crisis machine at the arcade with a QTE dumped in the middle. Choosing between two things to play peek-a-boo is barely an input.

Looks like a turd...wasn't this supposed to have werewolves? Sure the setting is a bit different but it looks like another chest-high wall, corridor-shooter with QTEs. Prettiness doesn't excuse the sameness does it because, this kind of thing could have been released on modern consoles (minus the prettiness).

3rd Person shooter
QTEs
And they managed to make steam punk(ish) boring
Glad I'm sticking with PC

This short cut up doesn't seem to do the game justice. People should go watch Playstation Access or Adam Sesslers video's of the game.

I'm looking forward to this game, it seems to have an interesting story told from an interesting point of view and that is enough for me. I don't care that other games have already done the cover based shooter thing.

otakon17:
ANOTHER Goddamn shooter? REALLY? Why not an action RPG? Welp, who's prepared for this thing to be wonderfully average?

Agreed for a setting like this having it be a regular old shooter seems a huge waste of potential. They could at least got the System shock/Bioshock route with a setting like this if it has to be a shooter.

ThunderCavalier:
Cover-based shooter with burly men, QTEs, and guns that seem to perform almost the same.

... Please tell me that there's more to this game. The concept is too awesome to be wasted on another generic cover-based shooter.

Well... there's epic moustaches.

(yeah, I got nothin')

I like the flow and facial hair, but too much cover shooting and too many cutscenes.

rofltehcat:

The investors, the publisher and possibly the game designers thought so. Probably two-three years ago when the project probably started.
Personally I would rather see Kingdom Come: Deliverance invested in. But hey, it's not out yet - so there is still room for The Order: 1886 to surprise us.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here