"Conversations" Are Happening About Dredd Sequel, Says Karl Urban

Pages 1 2 NEXT

"Conversations" Are Happening About Dredd Sequel, Says Karl Urban

Karl Urban spoke to press at the Destination Star Trek Germany convention about a possible sequel.

Speaking to press at the Destination Star Trek convention in Frankfurt, Karl Urban gave fans of the 2012 action flick Dredd renewed hope for a sequel. Speaking to press before the convention, one of the first questions asked to Urban was about the possibility of a Dredd sequel. He said that "conversations" are happening between the studio, the director, and write Alex Garland. Urban had previously stated that a sequel was possible, especially with DVD and Blu-ray sales overtaking the film's poor performance at the box office. Dredd's worldwide box office gross was just $35.6 million, well below most summer blockbusters. However, in its first week Dredd sold 650,000 units across DVD and Blu-ray.

Several other Star Trek alumni answered press questions. William Shatner spoke about his upcoming documentary Wacky Doodle about the making of Star Trek: The Next Generation. In September, Shatner described the documentary to Rolling Stone, saying, "All of the writers in the documentary said the show was all wacky doodle, so that's what I'm calling it. It's about the shenanigans that went on in the first two years of making Star Trek: The Next Generation." Shatner also insisted that there is no chance he will appear in J.J. Abrams' Star Trek movies. Connor Trinneer, who played Charles "Trip" Tucker on Star Trek: Enterprise, had sad news for fans hoping to see more of the show. An online campaign to have Enterprise revived on Netflix has gotten significant fan support, but Trinneer says that Paramount and CBS have no appetite for more episodes.

Personally, I'd love to see a Dredd sequel. It's a fun film, heavily inspired by the comic book series, and Urban manages the helmet-and-chin look handily. Given the other option for super cop movies right now is the disappointing Robocop reboot, I think I'll go give Urban and Lena Headley's scarred and ruthless drug lord Madeline Madrigal another watch.

PLEASE! I finally got around to watching Dredd 3D on Netflix and it was freaking awesome! I want to see more of this guy!

YES!

I frickin' loved how Dredd was basically one long action scene, but was still entertaining enough for me to stay glued to the screen the whole time. I definitely wanna see more of that.

I know this is just a pre-pre-pre-pre-pre announcement that there's a chance that they could be possibly be considering the idea that they should make a Dredd sequel, but...

Seriously, Dredd was fantastic and I would take absolutely any more content from that universe.

It was just so beautifully straight forward. It was like Contagion, but for action movies. No "save the world" nonsense, no romance, no shocking twist. Just a great sci-fi setting, a building full of bad people and a some cool people with guns.

er mer gerd er mer gerd er mer gerd er mer gerd er mer gerd er mer gerd er mer gerd er mer gerd er mer gerd er mer gerd er mer gerd

Every time I watch that movie I end up loving it even more. I hope to god they bring back his partner in it too, she was kick ass.

when he says "I am the law" I crack one huge nerd smile every time. he IS dredd to me.

There are very few movies that leave me wanting more, immediately. This is one of them. Karl Urban could not have nailed it harder if he'd used a piledriver.

This reminds me I need to finish reading Judge Dredd Complete Case Files Vol 2, as well as try and find a copy of the comic sequel to the film. I have no way of describing how much of a shame it would be if this franchise didn't get at least one more shot at the big screen (or even the small screen for that matter)!

Andy Chalk:
There are very few movies that leave me wanting more, immediately. This is one of them. Karl Urban could not have nailed it harder if he'd used a piledriver.

Well said. At first I didn't even know who it was until I stopped and looked at the credits. Karl Urban owned the role, he was the tough gritty cop needed for the role. Sure he didn't speak much, but damn if he didn't have that aura about him. Could it be attributed to the costume? The setting? Nah, I think the actor did a damn good job at that task give. I liked the overall style of the movie too.

Interesting, but also surprising. Karl Urban is currently involved in playing a future/cyberpunk type cop in the TV show "Almost Human" which hasn't even finished it's first season run. It seemed to be doing okay, but I'm gathering that this news either means that the show isn't being picked up again for another season (no word one way or another as far as I've seen, but it struck me as being fairly likely), OR this hasn't been thought through very well. I'm sure Karl would like more big screen roles of course, but if he's already signed on to play a vaguely similar character in an ongoing TV show that seems to me like it could lead to some major conflicts of interest. I was guessing his role as Dredd had a lot to do with why he got the role of John Kennex.

It's interesting news of course, but I think calling it a serious possibility, especially in the near future, is a bit optimistic. Unless of course "Almost Human" has been revealed as not getting a second season, and I simply missed the news somewhere. It's possible of course, especially seeing as it doesn't appear he was plugging his show.

-

As far as Trek goes, Paramount, Viacom, and CBS are kind of famous for hating it because of both the rabid fan base, and also because they allegedly don't make as much money off of it as they would like to, apparently not getting as big a cut from most of the merchandising and spin off products as one would think. They have sort of lowered the hammer a few times, but in the end there is always more Trek. When it comes to Enterprise in particular the reaction to the show was mixed (as much or more so than the JJverse) and you also have to consider what a lot of the actors look like now and what some of them would be demanding to return. I can see how if one considers it entirely on those merits that the networks wouldn't be too enthusiastic even if someone else picked up the tab (and especially seeing as it would mean Netflix would then be getting the lion's share of the profits based on their IP). Mostly though it sounds similar to the usual "no Star Trek" line we usually hear. Keep pushing, if some of the big actors like Scott Bakula get involved, it might happen, especially if Netflix and CBS/Paramount/Viacom can work something out financially.

When it comes to the franchise in particular, I will say that I think the future of Trek is also heavily tied to the "Prime Universe" and picking up where TNG/Voyager/DS9 left off. The attempted reboot having not gone the way they intended, and Enterprise getting so much flak in part for taking too much liberty with the backstory despite some interesting ideas. Something it seems the IP owners realize. If you follow some of the stuff going on with Cryptic (the guys who run Star Trek Online) they actually don't have carte blanche to do whatever they want and throw in anything from the TV shows. Each time they create something, or use a ship/character/whatever from the show they need to get permission to do so, which is in part why so many things they said they were going to do took so bloody long. What's more they pretty much told Cryptic "no" flat out to the question of whether they could have say players with Android captains (as opposed to just Bridge Officers) and things like that, which means that they seem to have some plans for the IP and where certain aspects of the universe are going, and don't want the video game to diverge too far from their plans (as odd as that sounds given how utterly whacked STO is and how little sense some of the things make in the sense of Trek Canon... you know like a Fed Admiral flying around in a salvaged Tholian carrier modified with Borg technology). A few of the bits and pieces I've picked up seem to make it seem like they have some vague plans for the future of Trek, and that those plans are going to heavily involve artificial life forms, and some of the Eugenics issues mentioned but never followed through on properly (think of the entire plotline involving Bashir being enhanced, and the other enhanced supermen being basically kept in a Federation Asylum), especially seeing as they established that the genius behind the eugenics and the guy who created the androids, are the same dude... STO has been more or less prevented from touching any of that stuff, which doesn't mean anything solid, but does show that they at least have some things they want to keep close to their chest.

Biggest problem with Dredd was it came out the week after The Raid: Redemption, an all around too similar and better film. I really liked the new Dredd but compared to Raid it was a let down.

the way i see it if Paul Bettany can be doing stuff like Legion and Priest...and Vin Diesel can be doing his Riddick thang...and Milla Jovovich can churn out Resident Evil movies...Karl Urban can hopefully steer this property (which he obviously "gets" and has respect for) into some more worthy, even if low budget, movies...

Dredd was shamefully badly promoted at launch but supposedly done well out of dvd/blueray sales etc just due to "word of mouth" and the guy even has specific storys from the comics in mind he wants to do (with one eye realistically on having a modest budget) from what i've read.

hell, even if you do "the dark judges" as the climax after several movies what are talking about really ? 4 CGI mo cap guys and maybe a load of zombie extras to blast through ? that's not a lot nowadays really...

comon money men give him some goddam money.

i'll buy it :P

easy 90% chance before a single frame is shot.

...and doubt i'll be alone.

gimme more. love dredd. awesome movie. even got my self the blueray so i cna watch in 3d on my parents tv.

Predator vs. Dredd

For the Robocop reboot to be disappointing it would of first had to of had some expectation of success and those trailers left little hope for it to be anything but complete crap.

Vzzdak:
Predator vs. Dredd

Go figure I JUST saw that movie two days ago..

Judge Dredd is Batman in Captain Falcon's jumpsuit, and I say hell yes to such nonsense. I'm still shocked a male-targeted movie of such angst could generate a pass on the Bechdel Test. That alone is goddamn awesome enough to earn my respect.

It had been a long time since I was as pleasantly surprised as I was when I saw Dredd.
By far the best action movie I've seen in a while. I'm really happy to see that a sequel is possible. I would like to see it as a series but I would like to see it not as a constantly growing plotline but one off type stories.

Lt. Rocky:

Judge Dredd is Batman in Captain Falcon's jumpsuit, and I say hell yes to such nonsense. I'm still shocked a male-targeted movie of such angst could generate a pass on the Bechdel Test. That alone is goddamn awesome enough to earn my respect.

It passed the Bechdel?

I remember it having the least noticeable female uniform fanservice (Anderson doesn't wear a helmet for most of the movie, while she did have a valid reason Dredd still pointed out the obvious flaw) I can't remember two females talking apart from the backup judge scene.

Also: Squeeeeeee!

Ed130 The Vanguard:

Lt. Rocky:

It passed the Bechdel?

I remember it having the least noticeable female uniform fanservice (Anderson doesn't wear a helmet for most of the movie, while she did have a valid reason Dredd still pointed out the obvious flaw) I can't remember two females talking apart from the backup judge scene.

Anderson and Ma-Ma don't directly speak to one another if I recall right, but there's a scene where Anderson talks to a dark-skinned lady to let them in her room. There's enough conversation between the two to mark it as a pass, since Dredd was too busy with important chin-grin work in the background.

ALL OF MY YES.

Dredd was an absolutely amazing action movie, and more is most DEFINITELY welcome!

I didn't see that one yet.
My first inclination upon seeing the article's title was:
Another Dredd game? Cool! As flawed as Dredd versus Death was, I really enjoyed that game!

Plus, isn't it weird how that over-the-top satirical game is one of the few games where you play a cop and are actually supposed to arrest rather than kill people? I mean, I guess the SWAT-games are great in that regard, but it seems like most major titles featuring cops are about revenge fantasies and murderous vigilantism. Even a judge, jury and executioner in one like Dredd is less monstrous than that, which is something to consider. It's kind of funnny in a way, that the idea of the vigilantee-cop-gone-rogue-for-vengeance is so prevalent in media; not just games. I guess it says something about society at large that such ideas are...

...yeah, and it went on like that for a little while before I saw that this was about the new movie.

Ed130 The Vanguard:

Lt. Rocky:

It passed the Bechdel?

the arrangements of helmets and face visibility is pure canon...and while it might be argued that may well have been "female uniform fanservice" too she's far from the only judge that doesn't wear a helmet. none of the Psi division or Chief Justices wear street judge helmets as far as i remember. Dredd ofc is never seen without his :P

i dunno if it passes Bechdel...not that it matters as Bechdel isn't as much an actual test as a headcount...but i certainly think Anderson and her abilities were well realised...and tbth if you know what happens to Anderson when Judge Death enters the picture i was greatly encouraged to think she and the production team could shoulder the burden of portraying what would be required in that potential (and very obvious) future picture to possibly be made.

Anderson is no random Judge in the Dredd canon...i mean it's her, Dredd and Death...that's the trinity in practically the most famous Dredd universe story arc ever written...i was like Chris Griffin with the "whaaaaaaaaat" when i heard she'd be in this movie...not least because in my estimation you don't introduce Anderson in unless you at the very least have aspirations to do hopefully do Death Justisssss...

Dredd is...well it's probably hard to explain to if you don't come from the UK...but you kinda have to grasp that this is the guy at the very pinnacle of UK comics for anyone "who was into comics" in the period when the UK was producing loads of what would become now very famous comic book writers and artists...and we never really had anything even remotely comparable to the USs comics book scene prior to the creation of 2000AD...and Dredd...

and a Dredd movie doesn't compare The Raid because The Raid...good movie tho it may be...doesn't have Judge Dredd in it :P

also

I'd love a sequel, but the question is what would they do. I mean, the first movie didn't have too big of a budget, which is why they set it in a building. I doubt if a sequel gets greenlit they'll get that much more money to work with, so what then? Set it in another building or enclosed space, or open up Mega City 1 at the risk of making it come across cheap?

To me, Dredd was the antidote to alot of the happy-go-lucky world saving coming out of the post-comic film scene, and Urban was absolutely superb in how he did it. Dredd wasn't grandiose, which in itself is endearing.

A sequel can only be a good thing here.

I am very excited about the possibilities here. I loved Dredd, and Karl Urban nailed that part so well.

Dredd was brilliant and I want more. More!!!!

But then I'm also one of those weird people who really enjoyed Stallone's Judge Dredd so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Casual Shinji:
I'd love a sequel, but the question is what would they do. I mean, the first movie didn't have too big of a budget, which is why they set it in a building. I doubt if a sequel gets greenlit they'll get that much more money to work with, so what then? Set it in another building or enclosed space, or open up Mega City 1 at the risk of making it come across cheap?

Urban has suggested making an adaptation of the Origins storyline as a possible sequel:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origins_%28Judge_Dredd_story%29

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/08/06/karl-urban-on-what-hed-like-in-a-dredd-sequel

this would feature an introduction to the cursed earth (radioactive wastelands)...a setting that could quite easily be represented in a low budget movie...Paul Bettanys Priest that i mentioned before has a vaguely similar setting and story structure...small band on an investigation out into a dangerous wasteland...on fancy bikes no less...

it also would introduce more "far out" aspects of the universe (mutants...possibly robots...) and explain the world a bit probably in flahback like the original strip.

he also knows folk would kill for a kick ass Judge Dredd/Anderson/Death movie...

so if the sequel goes well and you build things up a bit more...

get a few more bucks

the trilogy topping film could be what ? a mo cap Judge Death + crew (that's 4...)...back in the original city setting...and loads of zombies thrown in to be blown away in slow motion..?

which lets face it is not all that big an ask of Hollywood nowadays...

producer Alex Garland has also talked about a potential trilogy and storyline choices: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dredd#Sequel

it's entirely possible to make a decent "B" action movie with quite a lot of special effects on a fairly low budget.

to use Priest as an example again...just because i've mentioned it before...with its wasteland setting and special effects vampires it cost 60 million while Dredd cost 50.

I love Dredd. With that said, It amuses me that so many people like him and yet as soon as an article about police comes up or police being "rough", everyone starts saying fuck the police.

Eri:
I love Dredd. With that said, It amuses me that so many people like him and yet as soon as an article about police comes up or police being "rough", everyone starts saying fuck the police.

I would say that's the attraction to Dredd as a character. He's basically a fascist asshole who you love to blame, but when the shit hits the fan he's the first person you'll hide behind. In that world you need an iron will like Dredd's, but then it's Dredd's own behaviour that's likely perpetuating the state of that world.

I loved Dredd and i want a sequel to come. It was really a treat to watch. Sadly however Karl Urban was talking about it for a long time and yet we got nothing to confirm that.
After all, it was a financial failure, with a 50 million estimated budget and only $35,626,525 worldwide lifetime gross. And while sure they can get extra money from DVDs, netflix and syndication as they always do, for movies its usually instant profit from theaters or they kill it which means a lot of movies that are better off watched on DVD than in theater simply get killed off.

So in the ave of almost 15m financial loss (+ whatever marketing budget was) it is very unlikely that a sequel is going to be made. Unless they made a TON of money on DVDs but thats doubtful.

...I did not expect these reactions.

Are we talking about the same Dredd..? The shopping mall mega building where all violence is kept PG13 and the story is basically about bullet-time pills and a junkie drug lord?

I had to go watch the Stallone version afterwards to ease the pain.

Smilomaniac:
Are we talking about the same Dredd..? The shopping mall mega building where all violence is kept PG13 and the story is basically about bullet-time pills and a junkie drug lord?

What exactly about the violence was PG-13? Since most PG-13 movies I've seen don't have bodies slamming into the ground from a thousand feet and people's cheeks exploding in slow motion.

I had to go watch the Stallone version afterwards to ease the pain.

Nothing like some Rob Schneider to soothe ones mind.

A possible Dredd sequel...

Lenny Magic:
This reminds me I need to finish reading Judge Dredd Complete Case Files Vol 2, as well as try and find a copy of the comic sequel to the film.

They're doing a reprint of Dredd:Underbelly that's due out in April.Can be pre-ordered here http://shop.2000adonline.com/products/dredd_underbelly_reprint

I would aprove this. Damn hopeful for this and well sad that enterprise got a no but hope they're planning some new star trek away from JJ as i need some old school trekkin.

TimeLord:
Dredd was brilliant and I want more. More!!!!

But then I'm also one of those weird people who really enjoyed Stallone's Judge Dredd so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I'd rather take it with a grain of...

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW!

Yes, yes, a thousand times YES!!

If they're going to mine the (very extensive) story backlog for ideas, might I suggest the "Mechanismo" arc(s)!? The fact that the Judges are stretched in terms of manpower has already been brought up in the first movie, so there's a reason for developing the Mechanismo programme...

Only problem would be the comparisons with the Robocrap reboot and I, Robot...

Also, the fact that...

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or