New Art from Calvin and Hobbes Creator Bill Watterson

New Art from Calvin and Hobbes Creator Bill Watterson

The movie poster for upcoming comic strip documentary Stripped features the first cartoon published by comics legend Bill Watterson in 19 years.

Bill Watterson, the publicity-shy creator of Calvin and Hobbes, has provided artwork for the upcoming comic strip documentary Stripped. Stripped, which explores the evolution of newspaper comic strips through interviews with more than 70 cartoonists, includes an interview with the reclusive cartoonist. According to co-directors Dave Kellet and Fred Schroeder, Watterson was so pleased with the documentary that he provided the artwork for the poster. In his interview for Stripped, Watterson says, "In the right hands, a comic strip attains a beauty and an elegance that really I would put against any other art."

In addition to the rare interview with Watterson, Stripped sits down with a long list of great comics creators. There's instantly recognizable names from the world of newspaper syndication, including Cathy Guisewite (Cathy), Jim Davis (Garfield), Lynn Johnston (For Better or For Worse), and Bill Amend (Foxtrot). In the world of digital comics, the documentary meets with Kate Beaton (Hark, A Vagrant!), Holly Post (Topatoco), Zach Weiner (SMBC), Matt Inman (The Oatmeal), Ryan North (Dinosaur Comics), Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins (Penny Arcade), and many others.

Famously private, Watterson surprised fans in October by giving an interview to Mental Floss magazine. Joel Allen Schroeder's documentary Dear Mr Watterson, released November 15, 2013, dug deep into the world of Calvin and Hobbes, but didn't manage an interview with Watterson. A possible biopic of Watterson is being produced by Leonardo DiCaprio.

Calvin and Hobbes ran in newspapers from 1985 to 1995, and the beloved series got a digital release in ebook formats in November 2012. Stripped is now available for pre-orders on iTunes. The documentary will be available for streaming and downloads through VHX.tv on April 2. DVDs of the documentary will also be available starting April 2.

Source: New York Times Arts Beat

I love that guy. He gave my family such wonderful memories. His were the most treasured comics I ever held in my possession.

I cannot wait for this. FoxTrot is my favorite comic of all time, but Calvin & Hobbes is a close second. This is gonna be awesome.

Nooners:
Also, if you like Calvin and Hobbes, or short-form comics in general, <CENSORED SELF-MARKETING>

You'd better edit that out, quick! D: Try linking it on your profile page and direct people to your profile page instead, you're allowed to do that.

OT: I need to see this movie. I have all ten years worth of Calvin and Hobbes comics in one collection, and I'm starving for more Bill Watterson, even if it's just an interview with the man himself.

It's a shame all these people were probably never in the same room. Seeing FOOB lady interact with The Weinersmith would be hilarious.

Watterson's still got it, that's for sure!

I would love to see a comic strip/web comic of Watterson's about that man and his dog too...

Perhaps I'll go see this Documentary.

Nooners:
advertising

Seriously bud, edit that out if you don't want the mod wrath.

OT:
Seriously excited for this.

I was pretty hyped for Dear Mr. Watterson, but it had way too much faffing about while the director stood in front of the camera trying to sound philosophical.

And besides, if Watterson himself approves of the movie enough to break his incredible secrecy, it has to be something pretty special.

Never mind the poster, I wanna see the interview with the guy! Is he actually going to be on camera? EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Oh damn....

I seriously need to see this documentary. Seems they managed to get rather intimate interviews with many of my favorite cartoonists.

Watterson, Pastis, Johnston, Evans, etc, etc...

Oh yeah. Definitely need to see this film.

Heh. Kinda cool to see new art from Mr. Watterson. Hasn't changed too much from back when Calvin and Hobbes was still around. Not that I mind of course.

Bill Watterson is a true artist. I definitely understand his desire to live a life outside the public eye, but his work is so good it's impossible not to want more. So, naturally, I'm jazzed whenever he decides to show up for something. Plus, this actually looks like a pretty interesting documentary! I'd be lying if I said I hadn't thought about what the slow death of newspapers was going to do to traditional syndicated comics. Also, I'm sure it'll be interesting to see what those traditionally syndicated comic artists and webcomic artists think about each other

Hello documentary about comics, I've been expecting you...

I grew up reading the comics page from my parent's newspapers. I know a lot of these artists through their work without even realizing it. It'll be really interesting to hear things from their side of the page. That aside, I can already see the style of doc they're making and I like it. The icing on the cake is getting Watterson to speak.

I'm making a point to watch this.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here