Minecraft Movie Being Developed by Warner Bros.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Minecraft Movie Being Developed by Warner Bros.

Minecraft Horse - Main

Warner Brothers Entertainment is working on a live-action Minecraft movie, according to Markus "Notch" Persson.

Rumors of a Minecraft movie have been swirling around the internet for a while, but most of us just assumed that they were bogus--because why would anyone want to make a Minecraft movie? Oddly enough, Minecraft creator Markus "Notch" Persson confirmed the rumors today with a semi-cryptic tweet. Warner Brothers will be giving Minecraft the Hollywood treatment.

"Someone is trying leak the fact that we're working with Warner Brothers on a potential Minecraft Movie," Notch tweeted. "I wanted to be the leak!"

Obviously, this doesn't sound like an formal confirmation, but Polygon was able to get a hold of Mr. Persson via email, and the announcement was made official. "It's for real," he said. "I think every part of that tweet was real, including me wanting to be the one to spill the news about a potential movie."

"It would be nice to tell people when it's 100 percent solid rather than to leak it before it's completely final," he added, "but our hands were a bit tied and rushed here."

Earlier this month, filmmaker Brandon Laatsch attempted to launch a kickstarter campaign to raise $600,000 for a Minecraft Fan Film. However, the project was canned around the time that Notch posted this tweet:

I can't help but wonder what the universe would have been like if it suddenly had two Minecraft films.

Source: Twitter, Polygon

Guaranteed blockbuster.

I have no shame when it comes to puns.

Honestly though, this will be interesting to follow. Bar just straight up ripping off the Lego Movie, I have no idea what they'd do. Especially in live-action.

I could watch a documentary on Minecraft. I don't know if I would be into a "Lego Movie" kind of deal though.

As if I needed another reason to never go to the movies. I guess they really are stretching for ideas at this point.

Live action? Why? Why not Animated? Why is it going to be a live action film?

Oh well, I hope they do a decent enough job at it so that I can enjoy it...

In Gametrailers they say its live-action but I dont really know where they got that info so lets hope its not.

I still havent seen the Lego movie but one thing about it that atracted me was the idea of having the characters from diferent places interact with eachother, the story itself seemed a bit meh to be honest. Minecraft really doesnt have anything going for it.

EDIT: Didnt notice that you already said live-action in that first bolded segment, I was looking all over the article for those words.

EvilRoy:
I could watch a documentary on Minecraft. I don't know if I would be into a "Lego Movie" kind of deal though.

There is a documentary about Minecraft, it came out a few years ago if I remember correctly.

I really don't like the idea of a live-action Minecraft movie but hopefully it will look better than that shitty attempt earlier this month which was just generic action with a spattering of Minecraft references. Better still if they do an animated movie in the game engine or with a special upgraded engine for extra pretty.

I think I'd actually be more interested in a second documentary that goes in to the community, modding etc. that surrounds Minecraft as well as all of the cultural impact it has made. It did invent cubes after all and where would we be without cubes?

The special effects for this movie are going to be the cheapest Hollywood has ever seen.

CriticalMiss:

EvilRoy:

There is a documentary about Minecraft, it came out a few years ago if I remember correctly.

I really don't like the idea of a live-action Minecraft movie but hopefully it will look better than that shitty attempt earlier this month which was just generic action with a spattering of Minecraft references. Better still if they do an animated movie in the game engine or with a special upgraded engine for extra pretty.

I think I'd actually be more interested in a second documentary that goes in to the community, modding etc. that surrounds Minecraft as well as all of the cultural impact it has made. It did invent cubes after all and where would we be without cubes?

Didn't know that. I can second an additional documentary rather than a plot based movie though. At least lego has theme sets and the like to work from to produce a basis for a plot. The only thing two minecraft games have in common is punching trees, and some people even eschew that.

EvilRoy:

There's one here, and it's actually really good :)

Anyway, I'm going to go with everyone else and wonder why this is live-action. MineCraft, in translation to a film, is pretty much an art style - and one that doesn't work with live-action. It'll likely just deviate from the source material to a ridiculous extent, like every other video game movie.

I can guarantee everyone on this forum that this will be the exact same format as the Lego Movie; A standardized Hollywood bildungsroman where the messiah saves the day and gets the girls.

I think I speak for a lot of people when I ask: HOW?

...How do you make a live-action Minecraft movie? I mean, I can definitely see someone doing something with 2D/3D animation (hell, animators have shown it's already possible), but real actors and presumably real props? Unless an enormous amount of CGI is used, I don't see this working at all. And if the director goes with heavy amounts of CGI, why not just go 100% digital and just have a 3D-animated movie? Man, that concept is so strange and hard to wrap around my brain.

Keep milking that money Notch, your only talent was making a one-hit wonder but now you're just as creative and talented as the big guys in this merciless industry.

V8 Ninja:
...How do you make a live-action Minecraft movie? I mean, I can definitely see someone doing something with 2D/3D animation (hell, animators have shown it's already possible), but real actors and presumably real props? Unless an enormous amount of CGI is used, I don't see this working at all. And if the director goes with heavy amounts of CGI, why not just go 100% digital and just have a 3D-animated movie? Man, that concept is so strange and hard to wrap around my brain.

the same way you make a live action film about a board game like battleship. take a script thats een laying around for years, alter it by adding things people recognise from the IP add dramatic music and explosions in the trailer

wombat_of_war:

V8 Ninja:

the same way you make a live action film about a board game like battleship. take a script thats een laying around for years, alter it by adding things people recognise from the IP add dramatic music and explosions in the trailer

Dont forget to add a love interest and romance subplot with celebs filling most of the roles.

I find it suspect that he pulled the fan film and then started this. It like he was afraid the fan film would get it right and this WB film would get it wrong.

Oh look, more evidence that Notch is going to do nothing but Minecraft until the end of time. Or you know, that is until he realizes how much money the movie will need to be made, at which point he will recant his public statements concerning said venture and expect everyone to completely forgive him because he didn't know the amount of effort he would need to invest to make a whim a reality, despite saying he would be doing everything he could to make it happen...

...WHY? Why is this (going to be possibly?) a thing? Why does Minecraft, a sandbox buildem up with no legit..oh wait, LEGO movie did it, so fuck it why not cash in, cha-ching.

Redryhno:
Oh look, more evidence that Notch is going to do nothing but Minecraft until the end of time.

In fairness, to paraphrase Yahtzee,

If life has taught us anything, it's that if you do something really good that becomes inexplicably popular, you should just die right there. Because otherwise you'll spend the rest of your life in the shadow of it trying to surpass it.

If I were him, I'd take my millions and vanish into obscurity. Live a calm carefree life and not give a shit. But I'm a jaded cynic, so there's that.

I just dont know what a minecraft movie would be about there's barely any plot in minecraft to speak of beyond the stuff with the endermen.

A Minecraft movie.....but no Wonder Woman movie.
/
/
/

Wow.

Ninmecu:
snip

I honestly don't think I'd care so much if he hadn't gone on a public platform and declared that Psychonaughts 2 was gonna happen, only to then say, "oops, nope, not doing it, I didn't think it would cost as much money as our first draft said it might, how was I to know it would cost more than 1k, that's how much my game cost!".*

Course it didn't help that he then pretty much said fuck off to every fan of the game that then criticized him for jumping the gun on his first statement.

*hyperbole and not a direct quote

Clive Howlitzer:
As if I needed another reason to never go to the movies. I guess they really are stretching for ideas at this point.

At least it's a movie based off a new IP (for Hollywood anyway) and something original rather than doing yet another American remake of a European or Asian movie (cause foreign movies aren't good enough for us Americans). Or yet again another remake of a decades old classic (because all those old movies focused too much on useless things like character development, plot, story, etc. when all we want nowadays is CGI effects and shakey-cam action scenes).

I like the idea of a man punching trees in live action. Make it a straight-up farcical comedy about a single dude trying to survive in an unknowing land. Hell, maybe he gets sucked into the computer like TRON or whatever, and he has to beat Minecraft so he can escape his pixel prison for some reason.

Seriously though, Minecraft as a movie? I'm just curious to see how they tackle it. I have a feeling there's a boardroom meeting of higher-ups going, "so, we got Minecraft. ...now what?" Now what indeed, hypothetical CEO-type person(s).

looks like warner brothers is attempting to get TWO movies based on blocks that nobody actually thought could be movies

I know Minecraft is a fun game and all, but do we really need this? There's only so much you can do with the Minecraft theme before you're just writing a completely different story and making everything out of low-resolution blocks.

Kuala BangoDango:

Clive Howlitzer:

At least it's a movie based off a new IP (for Hollywood anyway) and something original rather than doing yet another American remake of a European or Asian movie (cause foreign movies aren't good enough for us Americans). Or yet again another remake of a decades old classic (because all those old movies focused too much on useless things like character development, plot, story, etc. when all we want nowadays is CGI effects and shakey-cam action scenes).

I'll give you that, except you just listed all the things that keep me from watching movies. Now I feel sad.

Grach:

I think that was a lot of people's reactions when The Lego Movie was announced and look how that turned out.

KazeAizen:

Grach:

I think that was a lot of people's reactions when The Lego Movie was announced and look how that turned out.

Yeah, except we don't know who writes or directs. I knew it was going to rule when I saw it was the guys behind Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs.

Besides, doing a movie-lenght machinima probably wouldn't sell well and ripping off The Lego Movie is just lazy. And bad. And wrong.

It would be badwrong or badong.

I get a vibe of sorts for the ending right now - movie all about creativity, and by the end the protagonist(-s?) has saved existence itself from being snuffed out (think Who Framed Roger Rabbit, or The Neverending Journey), but at the cost of everything they have built; Their world lies either in ruin or is obliterated, much as a result of themselves using parts of it in clever ways to thwart pursuing assailants.

So, they quietly just begins to build anew, while the camera dollies away; New ideas, new efforts, retained enthusiasm, no crying over spilt milk.

Would quite happily have rather seen Brandon's attempt at a movie.

But where are they going to find so many square-headed actors? I hope the script is going to be good.

Wait? Live action? Either it will be the character wearing and using blocky items or just a real life version of it which will suck (it will take alot of convincing to pull it off).

I don't know why everyone sees this as such a difficult thing to make a movie out of. The fact it doesn't have a story makes it that much easier for a studio to write what works. I keep thinking of Cast Away as a sort of comparison.

A guy wakes up on a beach and after a night of running for his life trying to survive the unexpected monsters that surround him. He builds a shelter so that he can be safe while at the same time trying to figure out where he is. His quest for answers leads him to a village, there the villagers tell him (or maybe he finds information in the desert temples) of a mytical beast that exists in a place called the end, if the beast is slayed it opens a door to another dimension (his home). He then sets out on a quest to get to the end, which takes him caving, lets him discover redstone and you could spend some time showcasing the way he uses the magical redstone to make his life easier. His travels take him through the depths of the Earth, to the Nether, and eventually to the End to face the dragon. All of that could be made into an exciting action adventure movie.

No matter what they put out there, I'm going, my ticket is sold.

As for all of the blocky comparisons, try not to be so literal with how the interpretation would go.

To everyone saying Notch does nothing but milk Minecraft, he's already made one game (Scrolls) and is hard at work making another (0x10c). He doesn't even work on Minecraft anymore, he just owns it.

All that said, I can't see this movie not sucking, if only because I can't see the mechanics of Minecraft being translated over to live-action without Hollywood feeling the need to make up some bullshit reason for how it works and basing the plot off of that. Still, maybe it it was about real people playing Minecraft it could be good.

Warner Bros. Exec: "Do you think we can add Batman to it?"
Minecraft Producer: "I... no, its not about Batman. Its about blocks."
Warner Bros Exec: "I understand that, but I've reviewed the script, and I came off with the idea that it needed more Batman."
Minecraft producer: "But Minecraft has nothing to do with Batman!"
Warner Bros Exec: "Batman is really profitable to us. It definitely needs to be about block Batman."
Minecraft Producer: "But-"
Warner Bros Exec: "BATMAN!"

EDIT: Whelp, I'm off to fire up Minecraft, because I just realized that what my world needed was a Block Batcave. Every world needs a Batcave.

I love it when my sarcasm inspires me.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or