Twitch Wants to See More Experiments Like "Twitch Plays Pokemon"

Twitch Wants to See More Experiments Like "Twitch Plays Pokemon"

Twitch Pokemon

Streaming company Twitch believes there's a future in having millions of people all sharing control of a game.

By now, you've probably heard of the grand social experiment that is "Twitch Plays Pokemon." The whole phenomenon, which began earlier this month and is still going strong, started after a Twitch user uploaded a custom script that allows people watching a game of Pokemon Red to manually input commands for the game.

And if you think having millions of viewers shout commands to a would-be Pokemon master might result in bit of anarchy, well, you're probably right. The Twitch community has doggedly continued their quest to beat the game, though, and as of this writing have made it all the way to penultimate level Victory Road. And in this dedication, Twitch sees what might be the start of a new gaming platform.

"It has delivered a huge and sustained audience for days on end and captivated the attention of the entire Twitch community," said Matthew DiPietro, VP of marketing at Twitch, in an interview with website MCV. The success of "Twitch Plays Pokemon," and the millions of views it has garnered so far, has made the company consider if there is a future in a service that lets viewers from all over the world share control of a single game.

"This is one of the most interesting things we've seen on Twitch since we launched, and we hope to see more experiments like it ... We encourage everyone to think about new ways to leverage Twitch's platform and community for creative gaming endeavors," DiPetro said. "This is unique in the history of Twitch. And when you consider how game developers might capitalize on features and functionality like this, the sky is the limit."

What do you think of this possibility? Are there any games you'd want to see played like this over Twitch or a similar service? Or is the whole idea just an epic-level trolling waiting to happen?

Source: MCV

I am frankly shocked it has taken so long for gaming news sites to pick up on this. The internet has been going crazy about it for two weeks now. It is impossible to escape!

Oh, also, ALL HAIL GLORIOUS HELIX!

Its an amazing and interesting experiment to be sure, but "the future of gaming" it is not.

nickpy:
Its an amazing and interesting experiment to be sure, but "the future of gaming" it is not.

yeah this ^

Definitely not the future, too easy for folk to wreak havoc. No matter how many 'countermeasures' the future would use for this, they will always be overcome.

Fappy:

Looks like the helix fossil is now an Omastar.
Also they boxed (or released) cabbage, but birdjesus is still amusingly there.

They had too much respect for the (almighty) helix to give it a nickname.

Also the artwork that's come out of this...

AndrewC:
Definitely not the future, too easy for folk to wreak havoc. No matter how many 'countermeasures' the future would use for this, they will always be overcome.

I wouldn't say 'definitely not.' Because while Twitch playing games in this manner may be chaotic and cause a stir, I can see potential for game designers to design a new kind of game which can be played online by multiple people working in tandem, doesn't have to be on Twitch. (Likely won't be on Twitch thanks to the delay.)

Could you imagine if they did the same thing with, say, Final Fantasy VI?

The first battle would be instant death.

We need to see Twitch Plays I Wanna Be The Guy if only to see how long it keeps going before everyone realizes they won't be getting past the first area.

nickpy:

I could see a lighter version being a future of gaming (amongst a ton of other different paths of course). There was an announcement recently about a game that was planning to let the Twitch Chat create obstacles for the player (on a time delay of course).

Streaming a game can be a pretty fun experience by itself, and it's audience is pretty huge. Creating games that experiment with that relationship could be a really interesting direction. Not necessarily control over the game and not every game, but I could imagine a sniping game where the chat could act as spotters etc.

There's some cool scope for asymmetric gameplay and variable connectedness. Achieving something with a bunch of people is fun, you could play an RPG where the chat was able to collectively control the actions of some small minions that followed the PC and helped him out.

On a different scale I could imagine a massively multiplayer game where you're following some interesting action in the world and the chat are giving some minimal help, but you're not by your PC, so you hop onto your phone and give some more direct help before going home and playing the game proper. They're experimenting a tiny bit with this sort of thing at the moment and I think it could be fun to go further.

I agree that TPP isn't a long term thing though. The chaos is fun, but you need a greater hook than 'Wow how hard is this and how bad are we' to make something that's going to last

Of course Twitch wants to see more TPPs. They're making so much money and getting so much free word of mouth.

Just imagine a civilization game controlled by twitch chat. Now THAT would be interesting. Hell, put the game on the easiest difficulty and see if they can even beat that. There'd need to be a couple restrictions such as having the anarchy/democracy system from TPP and also not allowing the advancement of the turn until every unit has done something.

uchytjes:
Just imagine a civilization game controlled by twitch chat. Now THAT would be interesting. Hell, put the game on the easiest difficulty and see if they can even beat that. There'd need to be a couple restrictions such as having the anarchy/democracy system from TPP and also not allowing the advancement of the turn until every unit has done something.

Civ 5 already forces you to do that, so they should be pretty set.

Such a grand, unique, truly revolutionary idea...that is completely unwatchable. How can you justify spending hours watching Red constantly bump into the same wall?

That said, something with less action and more based on choice like a point-and-click or The Stanley Parable would be interesting (I'd say Mass Effect to see were the alignment goes but it would take years to finish).

They're at the elite four.

Just sent out a level 43 Omastar.

welp

All I can think is that Nintendo wishes all these people playing would give them some money.

synobal:
All I can think is that Nintendo wishes all these people playing would give them some money.

Nintendo would be stupid to go after this with how big it's gotten now. It'd give them so much more negative PR, and they don't need that right now. Hell many people, including me, are still pissed about the YouTube thing, but if they were to go after Twitch for Nintendo games being streamed then they'd be digging their own grave really.

I'll have to pass, I haven't watched it and don't plan to. It doesn't take a world-class intellect to know what happens when you give hundreds to thousands of people control of something. At the same time it'd only work for a game that functions at low levels like Pokemon. Could you imagine something like Twitch Plays: Devil May Cry (any version), even without the lag it'd be damn near impossible.

Captcha: Is Spanish your primary language?

WTF?

AndrewC:

nickpy:

yeah this ^

Im sorry where did anyone claim this is the "future of gameing"? all he said was that this is an intresting new idea and wonders if it is possible as a future feature for twitch.

Twitch plays Dark Souls. That would be amazingly hilarious.

Drejer43:
Im sorry where did anyone claim this is the "future of gameing"? all he said was that this is an intresting new idea and wonders if it is possible as a future feature for twitch.

The title of the article was changed a short while after it was posted. When it was initially posted it said something about TPP being the Future of Gaming.

Kenbo Slice:
Twitch plays Dark Souls. That would be amazingly hilarious.

Not really. It's not even funny on paper. Turn-based games it works; live-action they'd never have time to accomplish anything.

Sure, maybe worth a laugh or two the first time they die in the asylum because they can't coordinate running through the door past the demon, but the 20th time? Not so much.

Hell, they'd probably die running off cliffs as much as anything. And that's before even getting to the first "real" area.

I don't think it's an accident pokemon was picked. The game is forgiving, turn based, and has a limited input set. It's simply pretty much perfect for this kind of thing.

Sure you could let them try to play nethack, but there's like what? 90 key commands in nethack?

Twitch plays League of Legends. Make it happen. Pleeeease.

Fappy:
I am frankly shocked it has taken so long for gaming news sites to pick up on this. The internet has been going crazy about it for two weeks now. It is impossible to escape!

THE HELIX IS DISAPPOINTED IN YOUR IGNORANCE!
THE HELIX DEMANDS THAT YOU APOLOGIZE TO THE ESCAPIST!

Anyway, this has helped restore my faith in humankind.

Actually this isn't all that new and unique which is why I figured it was being largely ignored by so many off Twitch.

Back in around wow... I just looked up and it's apparently 2007, there was this thing called "Destroy Television" that took place in Second Life, where they created an Avatar and pretty much gave control of it to a bunch of people watching/playing the game via stream. Something which even lead to "Something Awful" doing a parody of someone designing a game designed to be played this way via social media as an actual product/release. I've mentioned before that the technology and idea was interesting and was kind of hoping someone would develop it further and see what could be done with the basic idea.

The whole idea of someone deciding to play "Pokémon" this way is interesting, but I didn't think was especially newsworthy as it didn't seem to exactly do a lot to progress the technology or the formula as far as I can tell. Like "Destroy TV" it's more of an oddity and an exercise in pure chaos, with the most amazing part of it being that anything is being accomplished at all.

I suppose it's been long enough though where "Destroy TV" (which is one of the reasons I even paid attention to Second Life at all, since I never played it) has been largely forgotten, so it probably shouldn't surprise me that much.

That said, perhaps it's generated enough attention where someone will do something more interesting with it now, rather than just trying to play other old video games (or attach it to an MMO-type Avatar) or whatever. I could in theory see some potential for some kind of fairly slow moving game where say two spaceships fight, each with randomly drawn thousands of people commanding them or something. Either that or perhaps attaching it as a component in an ARG where say after at a certain point you and other people who reach the same place have to solve a puzzle cooperatively through a chat room like this or something. :)

uchytjes:

Better idea would be not having them verse the computer, but just themselves. Stick it all as hotseat players.

At this time of this post, they've just beaten the game. At least there's a *sort-of* upside to insomnia.

Wait, they won? Well holy shit son!

Also, I am not so sure about this, Twitch Plays Pokemon was a novel concept and was hilarious in its execution, I can't really see it working again to the same degree of success...although Final Fantasy VI as pointed out, could be interesting.

Weaver:
I don't think it's an accident pokemon was picked. The game is forgiving, turn based, and has a limited input set. It's simply pretty much perfect for this kind of thing.

Also it's very popular and well-known.
Most people have a pretty good idea of what you are supposed to do, and most people who played it in TPP have played the game themselves.

Playing a game for the first time like that, or even following a game you don't know would be horribly dull since you lack context.

I checked in every once in a while, and always immediately had an idea what was going on.
(It helped though that people provided coverage on what had happened, because I missed important stuff like them accidentally releasing Charmeleon.)

Falterfire:

Drejer43:

The title of the article was changed a short while after it was posted. When it was initially posted it said something about TPP being the Future of Gaming.

Ah my apologies then. (damn editors)

I'd like to see Twitch play Faster Than Light,or The Yawhg, or Monster Loves You. Maybe throw some old school isometric rpg's in there too.

Arakasi:

uchytjes:

Better idea would be not having them verse the computer, but just themselves. Stick it all as hotseat players.

Even better idea: Put turns on a time limit and have two streams go against each other. one with permanent democracy and the other with permanent anarchy. The democracy stream would be able to make the "best" decisions, but never be able to finish all their actions. The anarchy stream would almost always finish, but would never have any real control over what to do.

It would be a damn good test of quality v.s. quantity!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here