Ubisoft Writer Predicts No Gay Game Heroes Anytime Soon

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Ubisoft Writer Predicts No Gay Game Heroes Anytime Soon

Lucien Soulban

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon writer Lucien Soulban believes that gay video game protagonists are still a long way off, and there's a very simple reason why.

Lucien Soulban, lead writer at Ubisoft Montreal, has an impressive list of credits to his name, including Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War, Rainbow Six: Vegas, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Far Cry 3 and its amazing pseudo-sequel, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. He's also "openly gay," according to a Shockingly Short Interview on the Ubisoft Blog, and so it was probably inevitable that the question of gay video game characters was bound to come up - specifically when he thinks we'll see "a mid-30s stubbly-bearded brown-haired white guy with a raspy voice who is gay as a lead character in a AAA title?"

"Not for a while, I suspect, because of fears that it'll impact sales," he said. "So either we'll see a bait-and-switch like the original Metroid with Samus Aran where we'll find out damn near after the fact (PS: And Dumbledore was gay), or it'll come out of left field with Rockstar, Valve, Naughty Dog or Telltale, perhaps. But when it happens, I hope it's a serious take on it and not played up for jokes."

That's the real question, he said: When we're going to see a gay protagonist in a AAA property who isn't a one-off joke. "You look at Javier Bardem in Skyfall, his character's sexuality was total shtick to satisfy one scene. Otherwise, he was a narcissist with mommy issues, and a pedophile to boot," Soulban said. "It bothers me when I hear people using his performance as a benchmark for diversity in entertainment, and I have heard it being bandied about

But he added that progress is "happening quietly," citing games like Mass Effect 2 and 3, Fable III, Dragon Age II and Skyrim, which let players engage in same-sex relationships, and the gay characters in Borderlands 2, whose sexuality isn't treated as anything especially remarkable. "Videogames have stopped 'announcing' gay characters," he said. "They're introducing them without much fanfare in an effort to say, 'Yeah, it's there and pretty normal.' Call it, 'We're here, we're queer, and we're busy working'."

Source: Ubisoft

Given that the AAA execs seem to think the gaming audience is still in the 'girls have cooties' phase of gender relations, at least as it applies to protagonist selection, I wouldn't at all be surprised if he's right. That said, given how relatively few major titles feature only a single romantic interest with whom the relationship is a meaningful part of the plot, I'm not expecting it soon either.

Pretty much any dev you would expect to seriously consider including gay romances also offers multiple romance options.

I would love a game where you are the stereotypical "mid-30s stubbly-bearded brown-haired white guy with a raspy voice" whose lover (who has a gender neutral name) was abducted by the villain. After fighting through all the bad guys, he is finally reunited with his lover who turns out to be a dude. The reactions would be so goddamn funny.

Anyway, what about New Vegas? I was under the impression that that handled it's gay characters rather well too.

Well, Bioware went so far to turn an established, definitively straight character gay in ME 3. I'm afraid we'll see such sudden changes of preference more often now.

Besides, what about Fear Effect? That franchise has two VERY clearly homosexual main characters, yet nobody ever mentions it.

Besides, in case somebody wonders about Mass effect:

Chaosritter:
Well, Bioware went so far to turn an established, definitively straight character gay in ME 3. I'm afraid we'll see such sudden changes of preference more often now.

Besides, what about Fear Effect? That franchise has two VERY clearly homosexual main characters, yet nobody ever mentions it.

Was it a straight character 'turned gay'? Or was it a bisexual character that remained bisexual?

Weird how people still insist on black-or-white absolutes.

He's right about sales. I wouldn't buy a game with a gay protagonist. I don't have a problem admitting that because I'm not homophobic. I don't feel the need to fake extra political correctness. I don't have anything against homosexuality, I just hate mandatory romances in video games. That's not why I play them. And it would be especially weird if that mandatory romance isn't something that I can relate to. I want to relate to the protagonist. I can't do that if you shove his/her sexuality in my face like it's somehow important. RPG's like Mass Effect and Dragon Age I'm OK with because I can just choose not to engage my character in a romantic relationship if I don't want to. And having that freedom makes it more likely for me to explore the possibilities.

There is one thing that does bother me even about those games. Take Mass Effect for example. Characters in that game react to Shepard like they don't know that he/she is hetero/homosexual. They should fuckin' know! So why not simply let people choose their sexuality in the character creator before the game?

Pink Apocalypse:
Was it a straight character 'turned gay'? Or was it a bisexual character that remained bisexual?

Well, he was originally only a romance option for female characters, and only mentioned finding female characters attractive. So if he was bisexual from the start, they did a great job at hiding it.

Pink Apocalypse:

Chaosritter:

I think the comment was that in Mass Effect 1 Kaiden was only interested in a Female Shepard, but in Mass Effect 3 he would approach Shepard (regardless of gender) if Shepard wasn't already in another relationship.

If your game's selling point is that the protagonist is a man or woman or of any race or of any sexual preference then the chances of me buying that game is extremely unlikely. Especially for an industry that has had their consumers play as VARIOUS animals, plumbers, mythical creatures, gods, demons, plants, machines, robots, reploids, and the list goes on. Even all of those games with said characters didn't sell the game because of that.

Adam Jensen:

There is one thing that does bother me even about those games. Take Mass Effect for example. Characters in that game react to Shepard like they don't know that he/she is hetero/homosexual. They should fuckin' know! So why not simply let people choose their sexuality in the character creator before the game?

I didn't know that we all divined other people's sexual preference via an omniscient "sex-sense" in real life. They're not that easy to distinguish a lot of the time. :P The reason people don't act around Shepard with the assumption of preference is because that subject likely doesn't come up that often given the situations they're in 90% of the time.

OT:
Yeah, and it's understandable to see this pattern given recent gender/sex-based discussion in video gaming specifically. It's also good to see someone acknowledge the idea that fanfare and parades when introducing diversity isn't always the best idea, especially now when it's easier to introduce without people throwing a fuss over it.

Either way, I hope it's not going to take too long, but also hope it's done with actual taste, not "exploit everything possibly related to homosexuality in gender politics while we're at it. Stereotypes for everyone!"

Tenmar:
If your game's selling point is that the protagonist is a man or woman or of any race or of any sexual preference then the chances of me buying that game is extremely unlikely. Especially for an industry that has had their consumers play as VARIOUS animals, plumbers, mythical creatures, gods, demons, plants, machines, robots, reploids, and the list goes on. Even all of those games with said characters didn't sell the game because of that.

I think that's kind of his point. The idea that a game revolves around a sexual preference is silly, but for as long as the mere mention of preference being outside of "malexfemale" drives sales down, it's unlikely to be changed anytime soon. It's more of an observation and a response to a question rather than a proposal.

Andy Chalk:
in an effort to say, 'Yeah, it's there and pretty normal.' Call it, 'We're here, we're queer, and we're busy working'."

This, I like.

Personally speaking, if we want issues like same-sex relationships (or women taking a role in video games that isn't the stereotypical support or damsel role, etc. etc. etc.) to be taken more seriously, I think that people should... just stop giving it too much of a fanfare when it's announced. Just treat it like normal, like most of the conventions of writing that we now accept as normal nowadays.

Because isn't the whole point of introducing these elements to "normalize" them in media in general, anyway?

How about a game where two gay characters can exist on the same squad but not be attracted to each other romantically or sexually? I mean, in mass effect 3, the only squad mates that came out as gay/bi were the ones that could be romanced by shep. How come you couldn't have a gay squad member who just wasn't attracted to Shepherd?

Petty complaint, I know, but just because two characters are gay doesn't mean they're obligated to fuck somewhere down the narrative line.

Brian Tams:
How about a game where two gay characters can exist on the same squad but not be attracted to each other romantically or sexually? I mean, in mass effect 3, the only squad mates that came out as gay/bi were the ones that could be romanced by shep. How come you couldn't have a gay squad member who just wasn't attracted to Shepherd?

You mean like Cortez, who mourned his dead husband over the course of the game?

Chaosritter:

Brian Tams:

He can be romanced.

Brian Tams:

Petty complaint, I know, but just because two characters are gay doesn't mean they're obligated to fuck somewhere down the narrative line.

Until Mass Effect 3 the only person that hooked up on the Normandy was Shepard, with Mass Effect 3 they had two minor hookups, but I think the problem is since people are still calling for boycotts or protests any BioWare game that has any kind of same sex relationship I think what you are asking for is still a ways off.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116660-Anti-Gay-Email-Campaign-Floods-Electronic-Arts

Ferisar:

Adam Jensen:

I didn't know that we all divined other people's sexual preference via an omniscient "sex-sense" in real life. They're not that easy to distinguish a lot of the time. :P The reason people don't act around Shepard with the assumption of preference is because that subject likely doesn't come up that often given the situations they're in 90% of the time.

Once is enough to make you wonder who the fuck thought that was a good idea. I had a playthrough from ME1 to ME3 with male Shep romancing Liara. And then all of a sudden Kaidan comes along and he wants to talk to me. He says he wants to be more than friends. I remember Shepard talking about how hot Liara was back in ME1. He was straight then, or at least bisexual. It doesn't make any sense for him to hit on Shepard at all, under any circumstances in that playthrough. I could at least understand if he were to approach Liara because he fancied her in ME1.

Adam Jensen:

Ferisar:

Adam Jensen:

Once is enough to make you wonder who the fuck thought that was a good idea. I had a playthrough from ME1 to ME3 with male Shep romancing Liara. And then all of a sudden Kaidan comes along and he wants to talk to me. He says he wants to be more than friends. I remember Shepard talking about how hot Liara was back in ME1. He was straight then, or at least bisexual. It doesn't make any sense for him to hit on Shepard at all, under any circumstances in that playthrough. I could at least understand if he were to approach Liara because he fancied her in ME1.

I have that issue with any potential romantic plot in Mass Effect 3 for any of the potential LIs in the game are going to approach you unless you re-affirm your relationship before talking to them.

Adam Jensen:

Ferisar:

Adam Jensen:

Fair enough, although I think that's an issue with implementation as a game/narrative function rather than any pressing sexuality thing. Bioware has a tendency to assume the player might flake on decisions, so the amount of reaffirmation necessary to make a decision tends to be a little ridiculous. Some awkward confrontation is probably not the worst though, because people in even some-what realistic scenarios may make the mistake of assuming or contemplating someone's sexual preference (I've certainly witnessed at least one or two).

So ehhhh. Could be the fault of the dev, could be the fault of just over-doing the sexuality angle. Could be both? It's harder to tell with games like Mass Effect where the character is influenced by the player so much.

I wouldn't site Mass Effect as a game that's making progress with gay characters, since almost everyone's sexuality seemed to switch on the fly. But then they also shacked up Garrus with Femshep just cuz. Bioware was never really good at presenting romantic relationships.

Andy Chalk:

But he added that progress is "happening quietly," citing games like Mass Effect 2 and 3, Fable III, Dragon Age II and Skyrim, which let players engage in same-sex relationships, and the gay characters in Borderlands 2, whose sexuality isn't treated as anything especially remarkable. "Videogames have stopped 'announcing' gay characters," he said. "They're introducing them without much fanfare in an effort to say, 'Yeah, it's there and pretty normal.' Call it, 'We're here, we're queer, and we're busy working'."

See, this is what needs to be done anyway.

Making a game where ZOMG THE MAIN CHARACTERS LIKES DUDES isn't the right way to go.

If they do it purely for its own sake, it's condescending and takes away from whatever else is going on.

The same goes for twists. If you end the game with the main character revealing their undying love for dick and it is only for its own sake, the only thing it's worth is cheap Shyamalan-esqe shock value. It's just poor writing.

In addition, both of these things would have the effect Lucien predicts: A drop in sales.

Subtlety is and always has been the best way to go.

Before reading the article, I was going to jokingly comment on the amazing sporting of the classic 'gay biker tash' Lucien Soulban has (what a name! Add an E on the end and it would reach levels of awesome i couldnt possibly describe!).
But after reading said article, my joke now lays dead on the floor. In the gutter. I browse outdoors.

Some have mentioned fear effect, but wasnt that just anime lesbians for the sole enjoyment of seedy male gamers? Not quite the point that this article is sharing.

Axon in Borderlands 2 is bisexual and playable.

So, that's like kinda sorta almost there.

Brian Tams:

Chaosritter:

Brian Tams:

He can be romanced.

And suddenly I don't like him anymore.

I could sympathize with the mourning man who seeks refuge in combat, but a gay guy who starts a new relationship a week after his beloved husband was killed by alien invaders seems pretty stereotypical...

Chaosritter:
I could sympathize with the mourning man who seeks refuge in combat, but a gay guy who starts a new relationship a week after his beloved husband was killed by alien invaders seems pretty stereotypical...

Definitely haven't heard of that stereotype.

Seems more like a way to show off how suave and smooth your Shep is. Even though hitting on someone who's in mourning and vulnerable is it's own skeevy trope.

Andy Chalk:
"Not for a while, I suspect, because of fears that it'll impact sales," he said. "So either we'll see a bait-and-switch like the original Metroid with Samus Aran where we'll find out damn near after the fact (PS: And Dumbledore was gay), or it'll come out of left field with Rockstar, Valve, Naughty Dog or Telltale, perhaps. But when it happens, I hope it's a serious take on it and not played up for jokes."

Which is another reason I didn't like the implications from Last of Us. It wasn't added to "enhance the character", it was added to check off a box on someone's "equality" checklist. And that's sad.

But he added that progress is "happening quietly," citing games like Mass Effect 2 and 3, Fable III, Dragon Age II and Skyrim, which let players engage in same-sex relationships, and the gay characters in Borderlands 2, whose sexuality isn't treated as anything especially remarkable.

He missed Guild Wars 2. There's an entire race of creatures (Sylvari) who treat homosexual relationships as a regular occurrence, no "different" than heterosexual ones. Granted, sylvari can't mate, but they are seen clearly engaging in same-sex relationships, and they're not all minor relationships either (Caithe, a female Sylvari and major story character, has a former female love who was twisted to evil by the Nightmare Court). They've also got a pair of newer human characters, Marjory and Kasmeer, who are pretty clearly indicated as being in a relationship. ....now that I think of it, GW2 also seems to be gently hinting at a possible relationship with Rox and Braham too (and they're completely different species), so....hooray for progress? :P

Also, I wouldn't hold up Mass Effect as a great example of proper same-sex relationships. A few of its characters seemed perfectly content to switch preferences to suit the "story", which makes me put ME's same-sex relationships in the same boat as other companies who pull the preference switch out of left field. And IIRC, Dragon Age 2 features a relationship which can almost be kick-started on accident (you can basically ruin their life, and this somehow makes you attractive to them anyways). Even back in KOTOR, some of the relationships were kinda silly in terms of how easy it'd be to get them to like you, to the point where I actively flirted with as many of the crew as possible just to keep options open. Bioware has never been a good example of real relationship simulation.

Heck, games like Saints Row 4 could reasonably qualify as a good lampooning of Bioware's games by their very nature (by allowing you to shack up with anybody, practically on the spot, too).

Sanunes:

Pink Apocalypse:

Chaosritter:

I think the comment was that in Mass Effect 1 Kaiden was only interested in a Female Shepard, but in Mass Effect 3 he would approach Shepard (regardless of gender) if Shepard wasn't already in another relationship.

People come out of the closet. Meh. It happens.

What's revealing is how upset people get over it, and the lengths they'll go to justify their reaction.

I think the first gay protagonist we'll see will be a woman, since it'll sadly be easier to sell to the execs and investors.
To be honest though, I don't feel a need for the representation and I certainly don't want a gay protagonist "just because".

We're all people no matter what way we swing and that's the point. It's a footnote characteristic and nowhere near as grand or provocative as some people make it out to be.

So while I'd love to see two soldiers look into each others eyes and touch foreheads before one of them has to risk his life, I'd rather not see it at all than have cheap jokes at the expense of the characters...

Andy Chalk:
"Videogames have stopped 'announcing' gay characters," he said. "They're introducing them without much fanfare in an effort to say, 'Yeah, it's there and pretty normal.' Call it, 'We're here, we're queer, and we're busy working'."

that is best way to handle a well rounded character in general no matter what sexuallity. Sexuallity is merely a part of a person's life not their defining characteristic or something to make a big deal about.

AntiChri5:
I would love a game where you are the stereotypical "mid-30s stubbly-bearded brown-haired white guy with a raspy voice" whose lover (who has a gender neutral name) was abducted by the villain. After fighting through all the bad guys, he is finally reunited with his lover who turns out to be a dude. The reactions would be so goddamn funny.

Anyway, what about New Vegas? I was under the impression that that handled it's gay characters rather well too.

yeah I agree new vegas does handle writing gay characters pretty well. It handles writing well in general.
I feel like playing new vegas after not touching much for over a year. It can't hurt to add to my the almost 900 hour(according to steam) I already played.

Chaosritter:

Actually, Cortez' husband died around a year ago going by the dates on the Mass Effect wiki (Robert was stationed on Ferris Fields, which was attacked by the Collectors in late 2185, while the events of Mass Effect 3 start around July-August of 2186). So while a point could be made that it is rather soon after the whole thing, it's not entirely weird to think of it as possible. Aside from that, to my knowledge it's never actually explored in the game if he is truly ready for a new relationship or if the entire thing will actually last past the current situation.

Pink Apocalypse:

Sanunes:

Pink Apocalypse:

People come out of the closet. Meh. It happens.

What's revealing is how upset people get over it, and the lengths they'll go to justify their reaction.

Even if it was a case of the character coming out of the closet, it's still worth complaining about since they clearly did a terrible job with it and instead of addressing it just made it kind of happen. I don't think it's a case of people being upset because he's gay or bisexual as much as being upset because there was no lead in and no explanation which leaves the only reasonable conclusion to be that it was shitty writing one way or the other.

Not that I'm overly surprised. Bioware are writing hacks anyway.

Dont really care, most games arent about who the main character wants to bang and in the same way that no gay protagonists are coming we dont really need straight protagonists either.

What I am saying is that most of the times we dont need to know about their sex life (Gears of War is a great example, they never say if Marcus is straight or not and honestly it doesnt matter).

jurnag12:

Chaosritter:

Actually, Cortez' husband died around a year ago going by the dates on the Mass Effect wiki (Robert was stationed on Ferris Fields, which was attacked by the Collectors in late 2185, while the events of Mass Effect 3 start around July-August of 2186). So while a point could be made that it is rather soon after the whole thing, it's not entirely weird to think of it as possible. Aside from that, to my knowledge it's never actually explored in the game if he is truly ready for a new relationship or if the entire thing will actually last past the current situation.

Ah, Collector's got him.

Played that part in the middle of the night, thought the reapers got him prior to the attack on earth.

Anyway, he seems to get over the death of his husband pretty quickly when Shepard makes advances.

I think you are all missing the most important part of this report. There is a man named Lucien Soulban. Lucien Soulban. He shouldn't be making videogames, videogames should be made about him.

CriticKitten:
Which is another reason I didn't like the implications from Last of Us. It wasn't added to "enhance the character", it was added to check off a box on someone's "equality" checklist. And that's sad

Apparently "make him awesome" was also on the checklist.

So it's fine in my book.

Supdupadog:
Axon in Borderlands 2 is bisexual and playable.

So, that's like kinda sorta almost there.

Kind of. They made Axton bi by accident, at first, responding with attraction to male NPCs as well as female. They just figured "fuck it" and made his bisexuality canonical in the Tiny Tina DLC.

Chaosritter:
Anyway, he seems to get over the death of his husband pretty quickly when Shepard makes advances.

Thats because, in a surprise twist, all of the Bioware games are intertwined with each other canonically. There's this magical force spreading across space and that that makes people these "chosen ones" who must save x from y, while bestowing upon them the ability to level-up and an aura that makes all that surround them Chosen-Onesexual.

That or Bioware just want to give the player plenty of options to plop their virtual genetalia onto in wholly unrealistic, and quite frankly juvenile, "romance" situations. Hmmm, I wonder which one...

OT: I'm come from this mindset where details about a character generally has to be relevant in some way to merit mentioning. Sexuality and sexual orientation can be extremely relevant to a person's identity, and even moreso, they don't have to be in a relationship for it to matter. We don't live in a perfect world where the sexual behaviors and sexual orientation of people are aren't ourselves is irrelevant, and you know who knows that the best? The people whose sexuality and sexual orientation are marginalized the most.

I think there's a few great examples in gaming that really truly realize that this type of stuff is relevant, regardless of relationship status. Off the top of my head, in Fallout: New Vegas, Veronica's relationship is forced apart because her society doesn't allow relationships that don't bear children, and she's resentful of it for not even just breaking up the relationship, but quashing her individuality, while Arcade Gannon wonders if his father would be proud of him, due to, among other things, being gay[1]. In Persona 4, Kanji Tatsumi's sexuality is never explicitly stated, and rather the everything about Kanji dealing with his sexuality is how he feels that society may, and does, look upon him, regardless of his orientation, as well as the fact that his father's last words to him really fucked with his head regarding sexuality.

All three of those examples are great ways to deal with sexuality and sexual orientation without having to shoehorn in an actual relationship for their sexual orientation to be relevant. To me, thats far greater an accomplishment that anything Bioware or Skyrim has done in terms of homosexuality in the gaming medium.

[1] I can personally relate to this, because due to my father having died when I was young, I'll never really know how he'll have felt about my being gay or trans. Oh hey look, a genuinely relatable LGBT character, rather than a character that is simply LGBT but happens to be completely uninteresting and boring, and people actually liked him! Stop the presses, stop the presses!

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here