Gotham Casts Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle

Gotham Casts Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle

Gotham's new TV series won't just focus on Jim Gordon, but also the young characters transforming into iconic costumed personalities.

Fox's upcoming Gotham series sounds like a promising way to fill the post-Nolanverse Batman void, telling a story of Gotham City before it was filled with capes and madmen. Of course, for that to work, it can't just be about the adventures of young Jim Gordon; you also need to lay the groundwork for Batman to arrive years later and punch Joker in the jaw. That means Gotham's young Bruce Wayne has a very important role to play, and we've just learned that it will be filled by Touch's David Mazouz.

Casting the pre-Batman Bruce Wayne is significant, but he's not the only iconic Gothamite making an appearance. Camren Bicondova will be filling the role of Selina Kyle, another young orphan who will soon grow up to become Gotham's expert thief, Catwoman. Given the obvious romantic tension between comic book versions of Selina and Bruce, I expect Gotham will partner the characters until their costumed careers take them in very different directions.

Mazouz is perhaps best known for his work on Fox's now-concluded series Touch, and he can certainly look the part for an innocent boy whose world is falling apart. Bicondova meanwhile is a newcomer to the world of television, but here's hoping her Selina will fit alongside Ben McKenzie's Gordon and Sean Pertwee's Alfred.

Source: TVLine

I still don't understand the motivation for this series. Maybe as a prelude to the next Affleck Batman movie, maybe, but unless they're setting the stage for Arkham Asylum before Batman IS Batman, I don't really see the point.

Lets hope they dont over do it with the characters they introduce in the show.

Wait, those are two different people in the picture at the top of the article, and not just the same person twice? I don't see it.

There has literally never been a good Catwoman character that I've been interested in. I hope this changes that.

Her whole moral ambiguity, while unique, is pretty garbage, IMO.

If I wanted to watch a show with Batmans villains without Batman I would watch Arrow but I don't because if Batmans Rouge gallery is involved then I WANT TO SEE BATMAN!

If there is a audience for this show then fine, I hope it is a good show and people enjoy it but I find it strange that they would think that showing Batmans Origin AGAIN but over the cause of either 13 or 22 hours of tv.

And then there is this quirky, young boy, who always wants to play with Bruce and Selina, but they wont let him, cause hes always trying to tell everyone his boring jokes.

I am thinking this is going to be a cross between Smallville and Arrow. The events that start them down the road to being who they are in the comics have happened, but this shows the transition behind their development into who we know them to be now.

I think its either going to be very good or very bad, but no room in the middle.

Big_Willie_Styles:
I still don't understand the motivation for this series. Maybe as a prelude to the next Affleck Batman movie, maybe, but unless they're setting the stage for Arkham Asylum before Batman IS Batman, I don't really see the point.

Gizmo1990:
If I wanted to watch a show with Batmans villains without Batman I would watch Arrow but I don't because if Batmans Rouge gallery is involved then I WANT TO SEE BATMAN!

If there is a audience for this show then fine, I hope it is a good show and people enjoy it but I find it strange that they would think that showing Batmans Origin AGAIN but over the cause of either 13 or 22 hours of tv.

If shows like these will stop the constant rebooting of a finished or failed superhero movie franchise, I will welcome them even though I never watch actual tv anymore. I can only hope Green Lantern and Fantastic Four get this treatment instead of 100 minutes of origin story then one climactic showdown with a villain for 10 to 15 minutes. That might be why Avengers was so well received, action and story better intertwined like the comics.

OT: Both of those kids have the craziest hair. Is this set in the 80's?

Ugh. This is a terrible premise. I've never understood prequels that take place before anything interesting happened. There's no incentive for Batman fans to watch because there's no Batman in it! Smallville worked because Clark Kent at least still had his powers. Batman before he was Batman is just Sad Rich Orphan.

I didn't need to see five years of Walter White teaching chemistry while slowly getting cancer, I don't need to see an angsty, prepubescent Bruce Wayne hanging around the Gotham Precinct while Gordon catches criminals who will be interesting in the future.

Hairless Mammoth:
If shows like these will stop the constant rebooting of a finished or failed superhero movie franchise, I will welcome them even though I never watch actual tv anymore. I can only hope Green Lantern and Fantastic Four get this treatment instead of 100 minutes of origin story then one climactic showdown with a villain for 10 to 15 minutes. That might be why Avengers was so well received, action and story better intertwined like the comics.

OT: Both of those kids have the craziest hair. Is this set in the 80's?

A Green Lantern series based around the various Corps. as a set up to a Blackest Night film would be amazing. Get Cillian Murphy to play The Scarecrow again but with a yellow power ring and I'm golden.

Sean Pertwee is Alfred? Man I haven't seen that guy in anything for years!

Big_Willie_Styles:

A cash grab. That's their motivation.

Catwoman and batman learned their skills way later in life. Hell, Catwoman didn't get her full kit until after she climbed up the crime ladder. Not as little kids or even teens. Hell, they didn't even know each other until much later.

I highly expect them to be "star crossed lovers" that are both on the opposite sides of the law. yawn.

Might as reboot 90210 and Dawson's Creek at this rate. At least their stories would make sense because teen years is all those shows are about.

This is just "hey look at that kid growing up! He is batman, but we're showing you his teen years because why the fuck not?! Will he make it to the proooooom? Will he rebel against his parents?! Oh wait..."

yeah, don't try to sell a DC comics show without superheroes. You what? I am going to bet this thing fails hard and gets cancelled mid-season.

And a better question: Who the hell is Gordon going to fight? Besides the standard mafias of Gotham, there are no actual menagerie of villains before batman that we know of. DC never actually explained what came before Batman beyond a hand full of villains like Ra's Al ghoul. They are all roughly the same age so a young batman would mean young everyone else too. The only one that can even be around off the top of my head if Death Stroke and that's because he is old. He might even be too young to even be deathstroke.

Unless the football player joker and his cheerleader girlfriend harlequin are bullying nerdy batman on a schoolyard, they will run out of villains pretty quick.

If they wanted something without direct superhero intervention, why not just have a show about A.R.G.U.S?

She actually looks like a young Michelle Phififfer.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here