Buy a Samsung Galaxy S5, Get a Bunch of Free Stuff

Buy a Samsung Galaxy S5, Get a Bunch of Free Stuff

Nearly $600 in free apps and services come with Samsung's latest flagship.

Samsung Galaxy S5

The Galaxy S5 is a pretty impressive phone on its own, what with the 16 megapixel camera and five-inch-plus HD display, but Samsung seems to be sweetening the deal for any prospective buyers.

According to the Galaxy S5 microsite, The flagship device will ship with $575 in "Samsung Galaxy Gifts," and many of the offers are for software and subscriptions you'll actually want to use.

The list is as follows (via BGR)

• 6-month Wall Street Journal subscription - worth $160
  • 12-month Bloomberg Businessweek+ subscription - worth $30
  • 1-year Run Keeper premium service - worth $20
  • 1-year Lark premium service - worth $36
  • 6-month Skimble premium service - worth $42
  • 6-month Map My Fitness premium service - worth $36
  • PayPal - special offers worth at least $50
  • 3-month LinkedIn premium account - worth $75
  • Free app purchase: EasilyDo Pro - worth $5
  • Free Blurb coupon - worth $5
  • Free app purchase: Flick Dat - worth $2
  • Cut the Rope 2 in-game credits - worth $10
  • 6-month 50GB of Box storage - worth $60
  • 3-month 1TB Bitcasa storage - worth $30
  • 3-month Evernote premium service -worth $15
  • The WSJ and Bloomberg subs, and the Runkeeper membership are pretty tempting, as is the Evernote premium service.

There's still no word on pricing for the Galaxy S5 -- my best guess is $250-$300 -- but it's nice to see a premium phone coming with premium, optional add-ins.

I guess the downside is it's a bunch of free stuff I don't want x_x.

"6-month Wall Street Journal subscription - worth $160"

Are you SERIOUS?!?!

Some of the stuff looks OK, if you can add it to existing accounts rather than "new users only". They probably wont offer anything in the UK though, can't wait for my usual network to get this phone though.

Oh for fuck's sake, didn't the S4 come out like 3 months ago? Why would I want an S5 already? I know Apple refreshes their product line pretty frequently, but not this much.

caleb451:
    Oh for fuck's sake, didn't the S4 come out like 3 months ago? Why would I want an S5 already? I know Apple refreshes their product line pretty frequently, but not this much.

no s4 came out 10 months ago note s3 came out like 5 months ago s models are more like phones while note s are more like a phone/tablet combined into one (edited with correct dates it does seem a little short for phones but my guess would be to keep people who like power of note 3 but not the size of it and for the people to jump from s3's seeing as their two years would be up I dunno just falshy stuff)
    O.T. I would buy this phone however I think I am better off waiting for the note s4

My biggest question is if any of these items come preinstalled, and furthermore, if they can be uninstalled if they do.

Back in MY day, we called this stuff bloatware.

Will be getting mine from Korea where pre-installed crap like this is illegal.

A. I don't want any of that stuff. B. It will be 400-500€ in Finland just like everything else - can't afford that.

But seriously - if bloatware is nowadays a incentive to buy a product then I really think we are going in to wrong direction, backwards and up a hill.

caleb451:

Feels like it don't it. This is becoming ridiculous. I've seen commercial billboards that were still advertising the s4. Then one day it changed to the s5. Not even a year between the two models. They should try and make some mid range phones instead of focusing on just their flagships. I've been keeping an eye on this segment of the market for a long while now and in my eyes only HTC is producing any decent phones in the 200-400 euro price range that isn't complete shit. Samsung had the s advance and mini series. But they fucked that up with the s4 mini. And even the s3 mini was not really THAT great but price/quality you couldn't complain.

Okay so you buy an overpriced phone and get a load of free trials of premium services that are clearly a bunch of up sells. Stay classy Samsung this is just as classy as the cheap plastic you make your phones out of.

Meanwhile with the nexus 5 you buy a phone that is almost as powerful for less money and don't get this crap installed on it.

the WSJ sub is the only thing I'd even want to try on that list. Just another example of Samsung throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks.

I wanted a flagship phone off contract with high specs and an SD slot (ruling out the nexus 5) and after seeing this year's MWC, I bought an Xperia Z Ultra. If you aren't buying a phone on contract, Samsung is inferior to almost every other option available in every price range. I'm convinced that their wide placement on carrier contracts is the only thing that makes them so popular.

What is it with android phones and plastic? Seriously, the back of this looks like shit.

And the ones that do look good have a dumb bulge, and are almost never sleek. The HTC One does this, cause it looks great for the most part, but its got a pregnant back panel.

That's all nonsense designed more than likely to keep the buyer using the paid service after the 3-6 month inclusive time is over. A phone lasts from 12-24 months generally and 3 months of x and 6 months of y is not a giveaway, it's a promotion.

so....

it comes with a bunch of demos pre-installed on it? and they all know your credit card number?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
    With Facebook:Login With Facebook
    or
    Username:  
    Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
    Register With Facebook
    Register With Facebook
    or
    Register for a free account here