New BlazBlue Skips Xbox 360, Dev Says It'd be "An Inferior Version"

Pages 1 2 NEXT

New BlazBlue Skips Xbox 360, Dev Says It'd be "An Inferior Version"

BlazBlue - Astral Heat attack

BlazBlue producer Toshimichi Mori says the game would have to be compressed too much to fit on an Xbox 360 disc.

BlazBlue fans who have an Xbox 360 will be disappointed to learn that the latest installment in the series, BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma, will be skipping the console entirely, making it a PlayStation 3 exclusive. Producer Toshimichi Mori cites the Xbox 360's small disc size (Dual Layer DVD vs. the PS3's Blu-ray), as the main reason, as to fit the game on the disk would mean compressing it considerably, making for "an inferior version."

"If the Xbox 360 could increase its storage space by double then we could bring it there," Mori told Siliconera. "Chrono Phantasma doesn't fit on the disc. Basically, if you were to fit it on a disc you would have to compress it and the quality will go down and I was concerned that it would be an inferior version."

Obviously the PS Vita has even smaller storage than a Dual Layer DVD, so when Mori was asked how the Vita version was possible, he admitted to compression, something that's acceptable for a portable device, and less so for a home console.

"If you looked at the Vita version, you can see that the graphics have been compressed," he said. "The quality for Vita is acceptable for portable systems. But if you had a Vita quality game on a home console, personally I'd be upset. We're trying to make it to the best of our ability for a portable system."

As for seeing future BlazBlue titles on Microsoft's Xbox successor, the Xbox One, don't hold your breath. "We don't have any information on the Xbox One hardware. I'm curious if Xbox One will even come out in Japan," said Mori, lamenting the fact that "I've been asking people about it and not one person has given me a definitive answer."

Source: Siliconera

Well that sucks. I expected it to be a PS3 exclusive anyway, I think I heard something similar a while back at some point. Or I heard it's only PS3 in Japan and just assumed they'd never make a 360 version later which turns out to be true.

I don't really mind since I was going to get a PS3 when CP came out because the price must drop like a brick now that the PS4 is out and if the 360 version is going to be that bad then yeah don't even bother. There's not much worse than a fighting game that doesn't run properly.

Now the real question is when the EU release will be. Fuck NA, you guys will have it easy. I'm expecting Persona 4 Arena levels of bullshit all over again AKA almost a full year later. I heard you like playing online, better not leave it so late that the community's already dead or anything...

Is the Xbone really not even out in Japan? Real? I fuckin' lol'd

solid point, I totally understand and I'm on board.

Make. a. PC. Port.

Jeez, we need more fighting games for the pc.

ObsidianJones:
solid point, I totally understand and I'm on board.

Make. a. PC. Port.

Jeez, we need more fighting games for the pc.

I second this. GFWL was finally ditched out of Calamity Trigger (sacrificing all online functions in the process, but it's better than nothing) and the only way to play Continuum Shift is through ilegal means, please, I'll give you lots of money if you bring Chrono Phantasma to PC.

The Wykydtron:

That wouldn't surprise me. X-Box figures overall aren't very high in Japan. They just don't want it, for the most part. So, between the size of the country and the small returns they'd be expecting, my guess would be Microsoft went "Fuck it".

So... Does that mean CP might actually be at 1080p? Just wondering...

Anyway, I knew about the PS3 exclusiveness of CP beforehand and this explanation makes a lot of sense... Compressing's a bitch if the quality suffers for it...

Also... Since the Xbox One seems to be out of reach at the moment, I wonder if contacting Nintendo's Wii U would be easier right now... (Heh heh... "BlazBlue on the Wii U..." That's rhymes...)

FalloutJack:

The Wykydtron:

That wouldn't surprise me. X-Box figures overall aren't very high in Japan. They just don't want it, for the most part. So, between the size of the country and the small returns they'd be expecting, my guess would be Microsoft went "Fuck it".

Japan's a fairly big country. It's the 10th largest in the world by population.

I think they will release in Japan out of obstinance if nothing else, but given they have to go through the pain of localising Kinect and that the Wii U and has outsold lifetime 360 sales in Japan, they probably should just give up and get out.

Heck the PS4 sold 1/5th of the 360's lifetime Japanese sales in 48 hours

The Wykydtron:

Japan is considered 'tier 2' but then again nearly every country including the like of Russia is in the second wave as well.

I've seen several estimates for Q3 2014.

why not port it to PC?, there you dont even have to deal with any sort of physical constraints, you get a bigger cut out of every sale and also worth nothing, your game can technically sell forever, not limited by console lifespans or printing runs

Pretty old news about the PS3 exclusivity, but I think the excuse isn't a very good one at all. All they had to say was that the 360 versions of the BlazBlue games weren't selling enough to make the cost of producing 360 copies worth the expense.

NuclearKangaroo:
why not port it to PC?, there you dont even have to deal with any sort of physical constraints, you get a bigger cut out of every sale and also worth nothing, your game can technically sell forever, not limited by console lifespans or printing runs

I really wish ArcSys would do this, honestly. Given that Capcom and even SNK have made pretty good PC ports of their fighting games, it's obviously quite possible to be successful doing this. However, a lot of previous ArcSys PC ports were generally pretty dang terrible, like the first version of BlazBlue. Kind of a big concern.

Solaire of Astora:

NuclearKangaroo:

I really wish ArcSys would do this, honestly. Given that Capcom and even SNK have made pretty good PC ports of their fighting games, it's obviously quite possible to be successful doing this. However, a lot of previous ArcSys PC ports were generally pretty dang terrible, like the first version of BlazBlue. Kind of a big concern.

well i imagine if you fail enough you eventually learn how to fail less, so there could still be hope. im not a particulary big fan of fighting games, but i think many people on PC would give this game a go, and id like to have options if i ever want to get into fighting games

Why didn't they split it over multiple discs? Other developers did this for multiple games. Would splitting it over multiple discs affect quality that much? I wouldn't expect it to as the data doesn't change but rather the disc would need to be switched or installed which would be the only major difference.

At least thats my question.

Galen Marek:
Why didn't they split it over multiple discs? Other developers did this for multiple games. Would splitting it over multiple discs affect quality that much? I wouldn't expect it to as the data doesn't change but rather the disc would need to be switched or installed which would be the only major difference.

At least thats my question.

For a fighting game that would get very awkward.

I guess it's not conventional to take Asura's Wrath's solution, which is to put 75% of the content on the disc, then have the other 25% as a free download. It would be a total kick in the teeth to anyone without a reliable internet connection, though.

Bob_F_It:
I guess it's not conventional to take Asura's Wrath's solution, which is to put 75% of the content on the disc, then have the other 25% as a free download. It would be a total kick in the teeth to anyone without a reliable internet connection, though.

And a harddrive. Remember how that's not a given on 360?

There's nothing in a fighting game that could make it not fit on a dual layer DVD, except for possibly the cutscenes.

Making a PC version of this shouldn't be that difficult either, considering the arcade machine (Taito Type X) is a PC running Windows XP Embedded. Put it on STEAM and the game will sell great on PC, as long as it's stable and you don't delay the release by a few years compared to the console version.

Calamity Trigger was on PC as well, so I prolly would buy Chrono Phantasma for pc if they did port it which fingers crossed they do

I got the original on 360... so that IS a shame, since I don't have a PS3. I mean, sometimes compression is better than NOTHING whatsoever for the platform. I understand, though... even if it sucks.

Oh god it's funny because BB never really did well on the Xbox originally to begin with but now the cats out of the bag that it's the fault of a disc, suddenly means we'll all pine for a PC version while ignoring the fact it's PS3 exclusive and well it's on PS3.

Then again this site is 90% pro PC so I don't expect any different really but i wish I could for once.

I couldn't really care less about console releases, but if this is one of their justifications, then this would be a perfect reason to release the game via Steam (Properly - not the asinine moneygrab that was the recent port of Calamity Trigger by some no-name 3rd party, not even including online play!). You want to put 10+ gb of game content on the drive? No problem.

As others have mentioned, it should be exceedingly easy to port as the arcade versions of the entire BlazBlue series run on a form of WindowsXP. Create an enhanced version of ChronoPhantasma and release it on Steam with a comprehensive feature set and a reasonable price point - I can guarantee it will do well.

Especially for fighting game developers, Steam and PC in general seems like a perfect platform, as you don't have to press a new disc or bow down to MS/Sony to release an update, or even to sell an "expansion pack". If a few years back they started with a PC version of Calamity Trigger, and allowed users to pay a small, reasonable amount to upgrade through every further iteration (Continuum Shift, Continuum Shift 2 etc...), I can nearly guarantee they'd make more money on that platform worldwide than anything else.

I'm a little clueless about these kinds of things, but if this is really the case, then wouldn't it be feasible to have it as a downloadable game? Or to have a second disk that installs part of the game onto the console?

And in a particularly special show of my ignorance, I have to ask - what is particularly memory-consuming about this game?

1. require a hd to play, a ton of games do this just have an install disc or a download.
2. what the heck takes up so much room its a 2d fighter running at 768p resolution on ps3...

NuclearKangaroo:

Probably because then the cat would be out of the bag and it'd be revealed that the game could easily fit on a dual layer DVD anyway, I'm not even sure how you'd fill it, considering SF3 Third Strike didn't even take up the entirety of the Dreamcast's 1GB CD format. Maybe there's some under the table agreement with Sony, who knows~

RanceJustice:
I couldn't really care less about console releases, but if this is one of their justifications, then this would be a perfect reason to release the game via Steam (Properly - not the asinine moneygrab that was the recent port of Calamity Trigger by some no-name 3rd party, not even including online play!). You want to put 10+ gb of game content on the drive? No problem.

As others have mentioned, it should be exceedingly easy to port as the arcade versions of the entire BlazBlue series run on a form of WindowsXP. Create an enhanced version of ChronoPhantasma and release it on Steam with a comprehensive feature set and a reasonable price point - I can guarantee it will do well.

Especially for fighting game developers, Steam and PC in general seems like a perfect platform, as you don't have to press a new disc or bow down to MS/Sony to release an update, or even to sell an "expansion pack". If a few years back they started with a PC version of Calamity Trigger, and allowed users to pay a small, reasonable amount to upgrade through every further iteration (Continuum Shift, Continuum Shift 2 etc...), I can nearly guarantee they'd make more money on that platform worldwide than anything else.

If they do decide to port then they do, if they don't well they don't.

I still remember the massive butthurt backlash of the very few who owned 1440p monitors when MGR came out on Steam even though it was platinums first job, especially being firsthand Japanese game designers for consoles.

besides in this day and age consoles still get their exclusives and so does the PC, it's a horrible thought to want to live in a world where one's desire overrides everyone elses by having consoles with no exclusives (thus proving their own desire of not wanting them to exist at all and that in it;s own right is selfish thought at work)and PC's will everything exclusive.

hell there are quite some people out there that still want PC exclusives to come to their consoles from games that are incredibly dated these days yet they don't get shit even though their hardware can manage them.

I'm actually really happy that WarHorse studio has decided to let console owners help pledge and also design their Kingdom Come Deliverance game for both consoles and PC unlike Chris roberts insulting the console and even mobile audience by constantly giving them the finger with his intro videos in such a childish manner that really isn't warranted.

Shadow-Phoenix:
besides in this day and age consoles still get their exclusives and so does the PC, it's a horrible thought to want to live in a world where one's desire overrides everyone elses by having consoles with no exclusives (thus proving their own desire of not wanting them to exist at all and that in it;s own right is selfish thought at work)and PC's will everything exclusive.

With most non-indie games nowadays, the cost of making the assets, modeling, marketing, voice acting, and motion capture far dwarf the costs of the port especially as the new generation is going to a unified x86 architecture. In this kind of climate, there aren't very many reasons not to port AAA games.

Besides, exclusivity is not the only reason to have a console. Consoles at least have these things going for it:
- Technical ease
- Games designed to be more controller oriented
- Cheaper entry cost for the less technically savvy
- Abilty to lend games
- Used games

Shadow-Phoenix:
Oh god it's funny because BB never really did well on the Xbox originally to begin with but now the cats out of the bag that it's the fault of a disc, suddenly means we'll all pine for a PC version while ignoring the fact it's PS3 exclusive and well it's on PS3.

Then again this site is 90% pro PC so I don't expect any different really but i wish I could for once.

To me that's the boring part. False excuses. Come clean so the people who can't afford multiple systems can weigh
all the games and go with that instead of hoping for a future release :/

God damn it. Fuck you, guys. I love BlazBlue, but I only have a 360 and PS4. Please at least tell me I'll be able to get it on my current gen console.

sneakypenguin:
1. require a hd to play, a ton of games do this just have an install disc or a download.
2. what the heck takes up so much room its a 2d fighter running at 768p resolution on ps3...

That's your answer right there. 2D. For a 3D game, all you need for each character is a polygon mesh, a lot of animation scripts that take up very little space, and a single texture. For a 2D game, every frame of animation for every move has to be its own image. Those add up quickly. It's the reason why Dust: an Elysian Tail wound up using inverse kinematics (basically a digital version of paper cut-out dolls that are held together with brass fasteners) for all of the enemies and heavily compressed character portraits even though all they were was one-second loops with custom lip-synching.

CJ1145:
God damn it. Fuck you, guys. I love BlazBlue, but I only have a 360 and PS4. Please at least tell me I'll be able to get it on my current gen console.

As of right now there's no plans for Chrono Phantasma to go on the PS4. PS4 is going to get Guilty Gear Xrd and while not Blaz Blue, Blaz Blue was the spiritual successor to Guilty Gear. So it's far from the same game, but same spirit and style so there's that on the horizon... I know, it's not Blaz Blue, but it's very close.

RanceJustice:
... Especially for fighting game developers, Steam and PC in general seems like a perfect platform, as you don't have to press a new disc or bow down to MS/Sony to release an update, or even to sell an "expansion pack". If a few years back they started with a PC version of Calamity Trigger, and allowed users to pay a small, reasonable amount to upgrade through every further iteration (Continuum Shift, Continuum Shift 2 etc...), I can nearly guarantee they'd make more money on that platform worldwide than anything else.

Given with how vocal the PC user crowd is about how patches and updates are free as a standard, I'm glad Blaz Blue isn't there. So while you say they won't have to press a new disc or "bow down to MS/Sony," I'm sure the PC crowd wouldn't be that likely to pay for a patch; so I highly doubt "they'd make more money on that platform worldwide than anything else" as you put it. Fighting games already hold a niche audience, given that Blaz Blue is an anime fighter it holds even less attention when compared to games like Street Fighter or Marvel.

You should also understand that each iteration is a sizable change of gameplay and mechanics; while issuing a new disc may cost more to push out, it's easier to sell to people who live out in the sticks and don't have the best connection. You should also be aware that Continuum Shift 2 was a patch with no disc. You should also be aware that while each iteration has its own disc, they're not in the $60 price range unless you buy the Collector's Edition of the game.

Kheapathic:
As of right now there's no plans for Chrono Phantasma to go on the PS4. PS4 is going to get Guilty Gear Xrd and while not Blaz Blue, Blaz Blue was the spiritual successor to Guilty Gear. So it's far from the same game, but same spirit and style so there's that on the horizon... I know, it's not Blaz Blue, but it's very close.

Well that's like telling me I can't get Halo on my console, so I should buy Killzone instead. I don't right much care if they're the same genre, the point is I wanted Halo. If I wanted Guilty Gear then I wouldn't be asking about BlazBlue.

CJ1145:

Kheapathic:

Well that's like telling me I can't get Halo on my console, so I should buy Killzone instead. I don't right much care if they're the same genre, the point is I wanted Halo. If I wanted Guilty Gear then I wouldn't be asking about BlazBlue.

No I feel you, I know what you're saying I probably just didn't speak clearly enough. I'm just saying that since you can't have one thing you can have something similar. Not saying you have to, but it can help fill that void if you don't want to shell out for a PS3.

Captcha: shoot through

Your analogy of using FPS titles were very telling.

Fighting games have always been on the low part of my "to buy" game spectrum. Not saying they suck, but the amount of excitement they inspire is minimal. Against AI I manage to hold my own until the cheap boss rolls out. Needless to say I've played Blaze Blue and liked the style. Quite refreshing next to the Tekkens and SF games. That being said I'm kinda surprised that a Xbox isn't going to see this one. Even more shocking is the number of those asking for a PC port. Most people I know on PC don't really subscribe to the fighting game genre. Perhaps it's as some pointed out; there's not many available. I'd figured the company would try to get as many platforms as possible either way. More sales is more money, no?

How much space could a fighting game possibly need.....

<_<

CJ1145:

Kheapathic:

Quoting to get your attention.

Retracting my previous statement, as I wanted to watch all of SCR but was unable to watch the Mori interview. He apparently wants to bring Blaz Blue to PS4 but there's no confirmation.

http://shoryuken.com/2014/03/01/arc-system-works-toshimichi-mori-says-he-wants-to-bring-blazblue-to-playstation-4/

Shadow-Phoenix:

RanceJustice:

If they do decide to port then they do, if they don't well they don't.

I still remember the massive butthurt backlash of the very few who owned 1440p monitors when MGR came out on Steam even though it was platinums first job, especially being firsthand Japanese game designers for consoles.

hell there are quite some people out there that still want PC exclusives to come to their consoles from games that are incredibly dated these days yet they don't get shit even though their hardware can manage them.

I'm actually really happy that WarHorse studio has decided to let console owners help pledge and also design their Kingdom Come Deliverance game for both consoles and PC unlike Chris roberts insulting the console and even mobile audience by constantly giving them the finger with his intro videos in such a childish manner that really isn't warranted.

and why is the idea of exclusivity good? shouldnt i be able to enjoy a game i want in the platform i want?

i mean its pretty crazy to defend something designed only to milk cash out of the customers while we receive nothing in return

exclusives in general are bullshit unless they happen for the following reasons:

a) the game can only be properly played on a certain kind of hardware, like with Wii games and RTS on PC

b) the developer doesnt have the resources or manpower to port the game to other platforms, as is the case with small devs and indies

pretty much any other kind of excuse for not porting a game is bullshit (unless the dev personally doesnt want to port it for whatever reason)

Kheapathic:

RanceJustice:
... Especially for fighting game developers, Steam and PC in general seems like a perfect platform, as you don't have to press a new disc or bow down to MS/Sony to release an update, or even to sell an "expansion pack". If a few years back they started with a PC version of Calamity Trigger, and allowed users to pay a small, reasonable amount to upgrade through every further iteration (Continuum Shift, Continuum Shift 2 etc...), I can nearly guarantee they'd make more money on that platform worldwide than anything else.

Given with how vocal the PC user crowd is about how patches and updates are free as a standard, I'm glad Blaz Blue isn't there. So while you say they won't have to press a new disc or "bow down to MS/Sony," I'm sure the PC crowd wouldn't be that likely to pay for a patch; so I highly doubt "they'd make more money on that platform worldwide than anything else" as you put it. Fighting games already hold a niche audience, given that Blaz Blue is an anime fighter it holds even less attention when compared to games like Street Fighter or Marvel.

You should also understand that each iteration is a sizable change of gameplay and mechanics; while issuing a new disc may cost more to push out, it's easier to sell to people who live out in the sticks and don't have the best connection. You should also be aware that Continuum Shift 2 was a patch with no disc. You should also be aware that while each iteration has its own disc, they're not in the $60 price range unless you buy the Collector's Edition of the game.

well skullgirls comes from an even smaller dev and the game is on steam

whats wrong with balance patches being free? is the standard for pretty much everything elsea and i dont mean just PC, is also the standard for consoles, you dont have to pay for each battlefield 4 update (tough im pretty sure EA is considering it)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here