OnLive Returns with CloudLift, OnLive Go Services

OnLive Returns with CloudLift, OnLive Go Services

CloudLift will stream your OnLive and Steam libraries to all of your devices.

OnLive CloudLift

After going through some major changes in 2012, OnLive has reemerged with a new executive team, and two new services with game streaming in mind. Gary Lauder, the investor who bought OnLive in 2012, is still at the helm, and IGN founder Mark Jung now serves as the Executive Chairman.

VentureBeat, which has the scoop on the new and improved OnLive, details the two new services. CloudLift, which goes for $14.99 per month after the free trial ends, allows you to stream PC games to virtually any device under the sun, phones and tablets included. This sounds like the OnLive of old, of course, but the new angle here is Steam integration. While you can buy and stream titles through CloudLift itself, you'll be able to access your Steam library through the app as well, at no extra charge. No more buying games twice, it seems.

The new service is also available on select Google-packing LG TVs, as well as Vizio's Co-Star streaming box.

The other service being offered is called OnLive Go, which has massive online games in mind. You'll be able to play War Thunder and select MMORPGs on any number of devices and form factors, or simply use the service to get a head-start on playing while you download the proper game to your PC in the background.

Also available: The classic $9.99 per month PlayPack version of OnLive, which let's you stream over 250 games to devices without purchasing the games themselves.

CloudLift is currently in open beta. Go check out the seven-day free trial, link up your Steam account, and let us know what you think on the forums.

While CloudLift sounds interesting, the most use I'd get out of it would be playing my CPU-intensive Steam games on my iPad. Unfortunately, that would require it to work over 4G, which it seems it cannot do well. There simply aren't a lot of places where I would want to play a steam game on my iPad where I also have access to WiFi. Still, I can see the utility for some people.

Gorrath:
While CloudLift sounds interesting, the most use I'd get out of it would be playing my CPU-intensive Steam games on my iPad. Unfortunately, that would require it to work over 4G, which it seems it cannot do well. There simply aren't a lot of places where I would want to play a steam game on my iPad where I also have access to WiFi. Still, I can see the utility for some people.

I think the service will appeal to those who travel often for work, etc. You often have WiFi access, but you probably aren't lugging a console or gaming laptop around with you. If I can get some quality single-player gaming in on the road, all through my iPad or Ultrabook? Sold.

Well I would mostly wait and see how these things work for now, especially the Steam thing because it seems like a real bad deal.
CloudLift $15 monthly without any games and OnLive Go $10 with 250 free games... who the hell ran those numbers.

Sure it's a cool concept for anyone who hasn't got the hardware to run these games but you need to pay close attention to howmuch you sink into this.
And it's not like these services are problem free, especially for anyone on a data cap budget, these services fill up the full bandwidth for as long as you are using it so for anyone with even a measly 2MBps(minimum for Onlive) and a "generous" 300GB data cap is looking at 42 hours of game time per month tops, 4MBps users - 21 hours... to me that is one hella scary place for gaming to end up in.

Mr.K.:
Well I would mostly wait and see how these things work for now, especially the Steam thing because it seems like a real bad deal.
CloudLift $15 monthly without any games and OnLive Go $10 with 250 free games... who the hell ran those numbers.

Sure it's a cool concept for anyone who hasn't got the hardware to run these games but you need to pay close attention to howmuch you sink into this.
And it's not like these services are problem free, especially for anyone on a data cap budget, these services fill up the full bandwidth for as long as you are using it so for anyone with even a measly 2MBps(minimum for Onlive) and a "generous" 300GB data cap is looking at 42 hours of game time per month tops, 4MBps users - 21 hours... to me that is one hella scary place for gaming to end up in.

OnLive has been around for a while now and the main problem with them i can see is their ultiamtelly poor games collection (they may have 250, but none that you actually would want to play) mostly because hur dur how would a big publisher allow their games to be streamed cheaper than 60 dollars a pop!

Its not a sad place for gaming to end up in, its a sad place for internet that still has 300gb caps. Seriuosly, last Caps we had were 1000 gb and that was in 2009! the fact that there still exists dialup and trasnfer caps show just how bad the itnernet monopoly has become.

Devin Connors:
I think the service will appeal to those who travel often for work, etc.

The trouble is that that's what they assumed the first time. It turned out the service didn't actually appeal to anyone and they promptly went bust. Since they don't seem to have actually changed anything, what exactly is going to make everyone suddenly want to start using it?

Strazdas:

Its not a sad place for gaming to end up in, its a sad place for internet that still has 300gb caps. Seriuosly, last Caps we had were 1000 gb and that was in 2009! the fact that there still exists dialup and trasnfer caps show just how bad the itnernet monopoly has become.

It's probably going to get worse (in the states at least). Comcast has a 250 GB cap and they're attempting to buy Time Warner, which will literally make them a monopoly in many markets. They've also been throttling bandwidth, which would be harmful to a streaming gaming service (and has impacted Netflix quality).

Zachary Amaranth:

Strazdas:

It's probably going to get worse (in the states at least). Comcast has a 250 GB cap and they're attempting to buy Time Warner, which will literally make them a monopoly in many markets. They've also been throttling bandwidth, which would be harmful to a streaming gaming service (and has impacted Netflix quality).

Yes, i saw the news article about the merger. sounds like capitalistic monopolies gone wild. This would never fly here, not only a healthy competition would sprout quickly (as it did when we had one company reigning over internet in the 90s) but government regulation would pretty much take over their pricing and quality control due to monopolistic situation as they do to other monopolies here (they have to get their price approved by commission before change for example, and they need to provide evidence why the price change is necessary). not saying government cant be bought, but it would be at least trying to regulate it.
Seriously, the more i hear about american internet the more i pity you and wish you would do something about it. Sigh, only time will show how it will end.

Strazdas:

Yes, i saw the news article about the merger. sounds like capitalistic monopolies gone wild. This would never fly here, not only a healthy competition would sprout quickly (as it did when we had one company reigning over internet in the 90s) but government regulation would pretty much take over their pricing and quality control due to monopolistic situation as they do to other monopolies here (they have to get their price approved by commission before change for example, and they need to provide evidence why the price change is necessary). not saying government cant be bought, but it would be at least trying to regulate it.
Seriously, the more i hear about american internet the more i pity you and wish you would do something about it. Sigh, only time will show how it will end.[/quote]

The thing is, we have anti-trust laws but they keep getting ignored. They were ignored so Comcast and TWC could consume Adelphia and now they're probably couldn't to be ignored for one of the worst companies in America to consume one of the other worst companies in America.

And that's the real problem. While people are screaming that the free market is the solution, our free market is demonstrating just that. You can literally be considered the worst company in America and flourish because it's difficult or impossible to actually build an effective competition when one company has a lock and a ton of money to throw around. Meanwhile, our infrastructure is terrible and Comcast would rather kick users than upgrade because it's cheaper.

Err. . . did anything on the mobile device market change thatm
make controlling the game one would like to play effective?
Because i so not see me play any game that require precision and speed on a tablet. . .

Stillbirth incoming, get the plastic bag and a funnel.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here