uArm, The Cutest Industrial Robot $185 Can Buy

uArm, The Cutest Industrial Robot $185 Can Buy

A complete robotic arm assembly for your desk, fully funded on Kickstarter.

Let's not kid ourselves: We've all dreamed of having a robot in the house. Sure, the robot might be more...Terminator than industrial robot arm, but who wouldn't want an industrial arm hanging out on their desk all day?

If you're a budding robotics enthusiast, but you lack the funds to buy the kind of arm that builds cars and other robots, Chinese manufacturer UFactory is here to help.

The uArm is an "Arduino-powered desktop 4-axis parallel-mechanism robot arm." In other words, it's an industrial robot that fits on your desk. At $185, it's cheap enough for many robotics buffs and students alike, and it's already fully funded on Kickstarter. There are 43 hours left in the campaign as of this post, and UFactory has raised $190,000 so far -- far above the modest $5,000 goal they started with.

$185 gets you everything you need to start roboting, housing, servos, and all. An extra $34 gets you a model with a suction cup, so you can mount the uArm to your desk without using screws. Kits ordered through the Kickstarter page should be delivered later this month.

If your interest is piqued, but you don't have the cash to burn on The Little Industrial Robot That Could? All the hardware is going to be open sourced after the Kickstarter ends this week.

You could put another mouse at the end of the arm and have him control another arm.

I've seen iPad stands for half that price that weren't nearly as cool. I'm almost tempted, except for being poor.

Badass. For something so cheap, I kinda want one. Though I have no idea what I'd use it for. Like, at all. What exactly does one do with this kind of thing?

Elvis Starburst:
Badass. For something so cheap, I kinda want one. Though I have no idea what I'd use it for. Like, at all. What exactly does one do with this kind of thing?

dramatically have it scratch your chin in puzzlement as you try to figure out what to do with it

Best thing is that they will release specs and drawings later for free. I might actually get someone with plasma cutter and build one of my own based on the specs from some materials of the choice. Look at the pictures shows that most things are pretty standard and shouldn't be problem to source them locally.
As from Mythbusters : When it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

josemlopes:
You could put another mouse at the end of the arm and have him control another arm.

I wonder if you could make a "Loop" consisting of arms moving mice that control arms that move mice, with the last arm/mouse combo moving the first one?

If it brings us one step closer to being able to saw off our limbs and replace them with robot claws, I'm all for it. Progress!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here