Gabe Newell Talks Source 2, Virtual Reality on Reddit

Gabe Newell Talks Source 2, Virtual Reality on Reddit

...and not a peep on Half-Life 3.

Team Fortress 2 Oculus Rift 310x

After some confusion earlier this week, Gabe Newell finally took to Reddit to answer some questions from the Gaben-loving community.

The AmA was acually an "AuA," as it featured several different Valve employees, Gabe Newell included. Some of the chatter was standard fare for a town hall format; Gabe plays games for about 20 hours a week, he loves Dota 2, and his favorite non-Valve game is, naturally, Super Mario 64.

But when the conversation turned to Valve's future, we did get some insight into what the House that Freeman Built is working on.

On Source 2: Gabe says the biggest improvement in Source 2 over the original Source engine will be, "increasing productivity of content creation," with an emphasis on fostering user-generated content (UGC).

On Half-Life 3: Absolutely nothing!

On Virtual Reality: It's not secret that Valve is interested in VR, but the developer, "[isn't] holding any game until VR is shipping." So the wait for Half-Life 3 and Portal 3 have nothing to do with Oculus, or anything else in the VR space.

With that in mind, Gabe did say that Valve is actively working on making Source 2 very "VR friendly."

On "Ricochet 2": "When we announced our products years in advance in the past and then were really late delivering them, it was pretty painful for both us and the community. We'd rather not repeat that."

You can read the AuA in its entirety here.

Ricochet 2?
Half-Life 3 confirmed... the cheeky bastards. I just hope I live long enough to see it :( .

I hope they release an actual Ricochet 2 just to fuck with people. I wouldn't buy it though; Ricochet was an awful game.

P.S. Thanks

They announce Ricochet 2, 3 days before release.
Upon booting up the game and playing it for 3 minutes, you are taken out of the game, and it turns out it was Gordon Freeman playing it on his computer all along (ala Animus in the AC series).
The screen fades in the text: "Valve presents: Half Life 3".

Devin Connors:

On Source 2: Gabe says the biggest improvement in Source 2 over the original Source engine will be, "increasing productivity of content creation," with an emphasis on fostering user-generated content (UGC).

It'll be a superior hat delivery platform.

Devin Connors:

On "Ricochet 2": "When we announced our products years in advance in the past and then were really late delivering them, it was pretty painful for both us and the community. We'd rather not repeat that."

Right, because deafening silence and uncertainty are much better than just being told to wait a bit longer. X-(

Devin Connors:
On Half-Life 3: Absolutely nothing!

:/

I've grown used to not hearing anything about any development but I'd still like to know if there's any work in progress.

I kinda hate the "ask me anything" where they won't answer the question they know they're gonna get. "Ask me stuff we wanted to release information on" just isn't as catchy. Don't do an AMA if you aren't gonna answer questions people ask.

Product Placement:
I've grown used to not hearing anything about any development but I'd still like to know if there's any work in progress.

This. They don't want to give out information too early to avoid their past mistakes and instead don't give out any information at all? After all this time they must have realized that one approach is just as bad as the other.

Mouse_Crouse:
I kinda hate the "ask me anything" where they won't answer the question they know they're gonna get. "Ask me stuff we wanted to release information on" just isn't as catchy. Don't do an AMA if you aren't gonna answer questions people ask.

/r/IAmA is getting shamelessly abused as a press release venue.

I've got a fever, Newell, and the only prescription is more Half-Life!

Cool, finally source 2. But as for HL3 i think now yet another nothing on the topic, i think im done giving a fuck. Been far too long now. 2007 Ep2 came out ffs. Valve is now all about STEAM and User content and supporting the community. Which is cool but. Not what we valve fans want.

AstaresPanda:
Cool, finally source 2. But as for HL3 i think now yet another nothing on the topic, i think im done giving a fuck. Been far too long now. 2007 Ep2 came out ffs. Valve is now all about STEAM and User content and supporting the community. Which is cool but. Not what we valve fans want.

At this rate, the only appropriate thing for Valve to do is to release Half-Life 3 in a year or few all of a sudden. No announcements, no ARGs, just throwing it up on Steam (on the front page, of course) and watching the Internet metaphorically explode. The fallout of such an event would have the psychological effect of everything suddenly becoming fresh and bountiful in the world of Fallout.

Fallout 4 confirmed.

Xman490:

AstaresPanda:

At this rate, the only appropriate thing for Valve to do is to release Half-Life 3 in a year or few all of a sudden. No announcements, no ARGs, just throwing it up on Steam (on the front page, of course) and watching the Internet metaphorically explode. The fallout of such an event would have the psychological effect of everything suddenly becoming fresh and bountiful in the world of Fallout.

Fallout 4 confirmed.

In the tradition of the Orange Box, Valve buys the rights to Fallout 4 and releases it for 20$ with HL3 and a puzzle game. It's called the Sacre-bleu! Box.

Sylocat:

Mouse_Crouse:

/r/IAmA is getting shamelessly abused as a press release venue.

I kind of feel the same way. Whether it's people who don't try too hard to ask tough questions or the AMAers not responding the them, they often seem a lot less fun than they should be. I admire Gabe Newell but his incredibly terse answers on here quickly stopped being funny. I know that the Woody Harrelson Rampart AMA from a few years ago was infamous because he actually told them what to ask questions about but by ignoring undesirable questions you basically do the same thing.

You know what? I'd just go back to the Source Engine and make HL3 JUST to shut everyone up. At this point, I don't think they're going to be too picky about what they get as long as it's not nearly as bad as A:CM or DNF.

I'll undoubtedly squeal my little fanboy heart out when HL3 comes out, but at this point is there any possible way it could live up to the expectations? I mean at this point it would have to be one mind-blowing, life-altering experience to have the same impact as its predecesors.

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 67218)