Titanfall Gets Season Pass, Origin-Exclusive Digital DX Edition

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Titanfall Gets Season Pass, Origin-Exclusive Digital DX Edition

titanfall season pass

The Titanfal season pass will cost $25 and include three DLC packs for a saving of $5.

Respawn Entertainment has been kind of coy about a possible season pass for Titanfall, at first denying it, and then refuting its denial, but still not actually confirming it. Now, the official Titanfall blog has confirmed that the game will indeed have a season pass, that will compile all three of the game's planned DLC packs at a discount. It also announced an Origin-exclusive "Digital Deluxe" edition that combines the season pass with the main game at a further discount.

Get the Titanfall Season Pass and extend the fight on the Frontier with three new content packs. The Season Pass expands Titanfall by delivering all three planned content packs as soon as they become available at a one-time price of $24.99, a savings of $5

The PC-only Digital Deluxe edition of the game will set you back $79.99 - a further $5 discount on buying the season pass and the game separately. It doesn't appear to contain any other extras, and if you've already pre-ordered the base game on Origin, you can contact Origin support and change your order to the Digital Deluxe edition.

Of course, Respawn stresses that the three planned DLC packs will also be available separately. It also said that purchasing the Season Pass for the Xbox 360 version of the game would not carry over to the Xbox One version, and to make sure you buy the right version.

This does suck a bit for those PC gamers who have already paid in full at an outlet other than Origin, but needless to say the price is still fairly reasonable. Respawn didn't specifically state what the packs would contains, but additional maps and weapons seem to be the norm for these sorts of games.

Source: Titanfall Blog

Ugh, and here I thought Respawn had enough sense (and influence) to not let EA's terrible business strategies infect them.

I know a lot of people will be pissed off at this news, but I personally can live with 3 $10 DLCs or a 25$ season pass. I was really worried that it would be a $50 season pass, in which case I wouldn't even consider picking this game up.

Of course, I don't like season passes or map packs by any stretch of the imagination. I mean, I quit playing Battlefield 3 because it was keeping on pressuring me to lay down another $50 for maps that I didn't even want. I would rather they just released map packs for free and all, but I'm not dumb enough to believe that EA would do that. But at the end of the day, if the game is good and the DLC worth it, then it's not exactly the end of the world now, is it?

Well I'll see if the maps are worth it same as every other game. I'm not too happy about this but it isn't unexpected.

I'm honestly not bothered by this, unlike BF3's 40 season pass this one seems more cheaper and affordable to me, even if I decide to buy one or two individually and Origin exclusive stuff is a no brainer given that on PC it's on Origin only there.

But I know people who aren't going to be buying the game are going to have such a field trip with this article and more to come, along with the rise of those inflated egos of "I told you so" even though this was to be expected by now.

Steven Bogos:

This does suck a bit for those PC gamers who have already paid in full at an outlet other than Origin, but needless to say the price is still fairly reasonable.

Only if you live in North America. I can't speak for Europe of course, but if you live in Australia and buy anything direct from Origin that isn't over 50% off you're an idiot.

I'm not upset at this news, but $5 off doesn't seem like a big enough discount to be worth gambling that the DLC will be any good. That's only my opinion of course, and as usual if someone is already willing to buy all of the map packs then I think the season pass is a good idea.

Ahh, the most overhyped game of the decade. Since it says EA on it, won't be touching it.

They're... they're butchering it.

I'LL KILL THEM! I'LL KILL EVERY EA EXECUTIVE I FIND!

I just don't think I understand the mentality of people who think map packs are remotely worth the askin price, because we all know that's exactly what those 3 dlc packs are. Map packs. Probably 3 maps a pop for probably 10 bucks each.

Breakin it down doesn't make the cost seem all that staggerin, $3.33 for a map you'll probably play a ton of, but considerin how little effort has to actually go in to these things its kinda depressin how well they sell.

sigh....*shakes head and frowns*

Well there goes the hope that one game could escape EA unscathed. Oh well not like it really effects me, just won't be buying a season pass that's all. Not about to hand EA cash on the hope that they will give me something worth it down the line.

That's it, a game without a campaign, at full price and now they're asking for MORE THAN FULL PRICE FOR HALF A GAME.

That's damn annoying. If it doesn't come down in price I doubt I'll pick this up. I still haven't bought Sim City and seeing as they don't seem to understand the lack of city size is a big issue I doubt I ever will.

I am not sure about the dislike and saying how EA ruined the game considering Activision did the exact same thing with Call of Duty: Ghosts and that one cost $60 and 343 Games did it with Halo 4. I have no problem if you dislike Season Passes in general, but to be upset that EA ruined the game over this I don't quite understand.

not really surprised. and it does sound reasonable compared to others. i have purchased few seasons passes and so far no regrets. i did it with bioshock, sanctum 2 and AC4. for me it was worth the money.
well, i have pre ordered the standard version. maybe i will get the SP as well.

I see no issue here at all. First, if you're at all interested in a multiplayer only online game, you're going to be interested in the map packs as well. Second, if you're not sure you'll still be playing the game long enough into the future to buy the season pass now, you're only saving $5 by buying the season pass so it's not going to break your bank to just buy the packs as they become available.

StriderShinryu:
I see no issue here at all. First, if you're at all interested in a multiplayer only online game, you're going to be interested in the map packs as well.

This must be a new train of thought for the younger generation of gamers which I feel sorry for you. It is that very attitude why EA and other publishers are so dead set on nickel and diming you to the very last penny.

GAunderrated:

StriderShinryu:
I see no issue here at all. First, if you're at all interested in a multiplayer only online game, you're going to be interested in the map packs as well.

This must be a new train of thought for the younger generation of gamers which I feel sorry for you. It is that very attitude why EA and other publishers are so dead set on nickel and diming you to the very last penny.

You know what, you're totally right. I remember those good old days where I had to buy each iteration of Street Fighter 2 for my SNES at over $100 a pop because they added a little content and a couple of new characters. Though surely I'm somehow too young to remember any of that having not even been in my mother's womb yet at the time or something. That was totally a better arrangement than being able to invest a small amount over the course of a year to keep a game fresh when I know I'm likely to be playing it anyway. Or, you know, I could not buy the season pass at all and just play the included maps and content.

StriderShinryu:

GAunderrated:

StriderShinryu:

You know what, you're totally right. I remember those good old days where I had to buy each iteration of Street Fighter 2 for my SNES at over $100 a pop because they added a little content and a couple of new characters. Though surely I'm somehow too young to remember any of that having not even been in my mother's womb yet at the time or something. That was totally a better arrangement than being able to invest a small amount over the course of a year to keep a game fresh when I know I'm likely to be playing it anyway. Or, you know, I could not buy the season pass at all and just play the included maps and content.

Even then its not a good value. $60 for a game that only has a few years shelf life because its multiplayer only and relies on EA servers to be up where as you paid $100 for a game 20 years ago that you can still play the full version today if you kept it. Not sure why you can't see the difference in value while rationalizing getting screwed. lol

StriderShinryu:

GAunderrated:

StriderShinryu:

Hey, hey, hey....hey ....At least Capcom learned their lesson right?
I mean they only put out how many versions of Street Fighter Alpha, Street Fighter 3 & 4 and rereleased Resident Evil 4 how many times? .....................Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, they haven't learned shit.

OT: I'm not a fan of DLC or map packs but, EA with DLC hasn't been that bad despite the raging, all the DLC for Mass Effect 2 and 3 have been rated really highly, Battlefield at least offers new weapons with new game modes along with map packs, yes now BF4 has a steep 40 dollar tag slapped on it but that's not exactly far off the DLC model other companies go for with DLC/Expansions...

I mean look at Borderlands 2, it's 10 bucks for a character ...when the game is 20 dollars itself. THere's probably over 60 dollars of DLC in the game. I mean how do people feel who bought Borderlands 2 for $60 then wound up buying all the DLC after? Especially after all the steam sales probably allowing for under $40 dollars for everything total.

This isn't defending EA here it's just, guys, take a look around this isn't new and it's not exclusive EA bullshit, it's what everyone else is doing. Given that they're doing 15 maps at launch, the map packs very well could be large themselves so- let's just see where this goes? I mean...HOPEFULLY they take the route of if one of your friends in a party has the DLC...you call can play it, that would be really, really, really good. Unlikely but Borderlands did it as well as a few others.

true. ME2 had really amazing DLCs and worth the money. yes, some DLCs are expensive and suck but at times its also worth the money if you really pl;ay a lot and you want some new things.
i see this like for add ons back then. they werent cheap either and how many of them were actually good. now its just digital. nothing more.

Snotnarok:

I mean look at Borderlands 2, it's 10 bucks for a character ...when the game is 20 dollars itself. THere's probably over 60 dollars of DLC in the game. I mean how do people feel who bought Borderlands 2 for $60 then wound up buying all the DLC after? Especially after all the steam sales probably allowing for under $40 dollars for everything total.

Just going to comment on Borderlands 2 since I bought it over the Winter Sale. I do agree that there is a lot of DLC attached to the game, but I waited to get it and I think with 75% off everything (including the GOTY version) I picked up everything for about $20 minus the nickle and dime character skins.

Now if you bought everything at a straight price when it was released (including cosmetic character skins) the total cost for Borderlands 2 DLC is over $120 (including $30 for character skins), but if you bought the Season Pass you can save $15 for all you get is the first character level increase and the four story DLC. Then add in the cost of buying the game itself.

I know people are upset with how they feel EA does DLC, but when I see how other companies release DLC like this I don't understand why it seems all the hate is directed to one company.

Sanunes:

Snotnarok:

I know people are upset with how they feel EA does DLC, but when I see how other companies release DLC like this I don't understand why it seems all the hate is directed to one company.

It isn't solo hate for EA. Many other publishers pull the same crap and get flamed for it as well. However, just because everyone is doing it doesn't make it immune to criticism. If companies want to pull practices like this they are free to do so but I am also free to not purchase and express my dissatisfaction with their decisions.

I wanted to comment on the whole season pass thing, but I realized I've bought into it before. I got the season pass for Wolf Among Us and Walking Dead. But in my defense both of those games are/were under $20. I've pre-ordered games due to the bonuses, but I don't think I've ever pre-ordered and bought a season pass in the same breath. It has the whole day one DLC feel to it. You want to know if they could have added such content on the original product rather than after the release. Since there's no single player you'd expect they devoted quite abit of time to the game. So the question is this; how many maps will be released per DLC pack. I pray it's only maps and not additional Titans. Can you imagine the level of rage to know that new robots only for those paying. Not wise. The only other option is skins for pilots, weapons, and mechs. Oh wells. If you're digging the game by all means buy the maps as they come out. But seems silly to put all the money down should interest dwindle. I'm the first to admit my short attention span. I'll jump to the next big shiny and revisit the other things during the dry periods.

Meh. You can always just wait for the new content before deciding if you want to buy it.
Sure, season passes can be confusing, and may be kind of unethical, but it's nothing that an educated consumer can't get around.
Did anyone seriously think this game wouldn't have droves of DLC?

Woah, the game with no artstyle or color palette that looks just like Call of HonorField 360 that claims to redefine the genre without actually doing much of anything and doesn't even have a single player mode is turning out to just be another generic shooter run by EA? I WOULD HAVE NEVER GUESSED.

Ah... Borderlands 2 DLC. Now see, that is DLC done RIGHT. Each of the 4 dlc packs are massive for DLC and have 10-20 hours of play time EACH. Each one is well above average and Tiny Tina's DLC is simply outstanding. The additional levels being sold separately are bogus, but as was mentioned the first level cap increase was free for season pass holders. I had no issues with paying for additional characters as I didn't buy the Psycho and the Mechromancer was free for me as I had pre-ordered Borderlands 2. Truthfully, I wish more developers would end up supporting their games with the type of quality DLC that Gearbox did with Borderlands 2.

Titanfall's though, yeah that's just going to be map packs and new guns most likely. And, anyone that played the beta, and was paying attention, could tell that Titanfall's maps were abysmal, washed out, brown, gray, mud colored, poorly designed play spaces. If one thinks Respawn is going to be able to deliver quality maps, let alone quality DLC (given their history as Infinty Ward were they didn't publish a single piece of good DLC), I have some nice beach front property in Death Valley to sell them.

StriderShinryu:

The difference is that Street Fighter 2 was one big game that got away with that.[1] You didn't really see that much with other games/publishers, and all of the different versions of SF2 were the result of tweaking after the original release. Adding in characters and changing things around to keep players coming back in the arcades. As opposed to today where parts of the game are being cut off and resold as DLC as a matter of course.

[1] Though obviously Capcom has since tried to pull that shit with just about every game they thought they could do so with. With varying degrees of success.

That is a very reasonable price. The Origin exclusive is a bit of kick in the pants for people who have pre-ordered elsewhere but there's not much else to complain about.

Lovely, so we get NO single player campaign, instead all work went into making the multiplayer and that amounts to a total of 15 maps, which is 1 less than Call of Poopy offers every year, a game that also offers a SP and Co-op campaign every year.

Just looking at the amount of content offered between the 2 franchises and disregarding the quality of said content, does anyone else here smell a rip-off on EA's and Respawn's part?

Sanunes:
I know people are upset with how they feel all publishers not just EA does DLC, but when I see how other companies release DLC like this I don't understand why it seems all the hate is directed to one company.

I think a lot of people don't like publishers DLC culture (I personally wait til the GOTY's), some of the open and honest comments respawn had made recently, had probably gotten people hopeful that TF wouldnt be held to the smae DLC/Season Pass schenanigans

Glademaster:
Well I'll see if the maps are worth it same as every other game. I'm not too happy about this but it isn't unexpected.

This is part of the problem, the maps are never worth it. We've seen from Halo and CoD in particular that the paid for maps are nothing compared to what the mod community pumps out on a weekly basis (all Source Engine games stand as testament to this). Rather than produce a quality product the publishers have mostly chosen to just DRM the mod community out of existence.

Case in point for EA would be BF3, which had some small but ace mods popping up shortly after release (night time, colour filter removal, spectator mode etc) until EA started closing the accounts of anyone who dared touch them.

Get your tits out lads! It's milking time

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the inevitable splitting of the player base caused by not-free map packs.

Agayek:
Ugh, and here I thought Respawn had enough sense (and influence) to not let EA's terrible business strategies infect them.

Despite their relationship with EA, they have one of the two most hyped games coming out in the near future (and probably the entire year). Of course they're going to milk it for all its worth.

Season Passes are a big hit or miss sort of thing.
You're gambling on the future by buying one, but there's a chance it will end up being worth the cash.
(Borderlands 2's reputation is well-deserved; the DLC mission packs were of VERY high quality and value)

Of course, I expect the consumer value of Season Passes to fall as demand picks up, since the publishers will do what they always do: exploit the model with "less-for-more" schemes when it gets popular, resulting in backlash from obvious milking.

MinionJoe:
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the inevitable splitting of the player base caused by not-free map packs.

That's part of the scheme: Create an initial split in the installbase, and hope by networking, they will encourage other users to buy the map packs.

Well, I can easily say my series of events this morning. Wake up, see article, get paycheck go to GameStop and finish paying off Titafall along with The Witch and the Hundred Knights.

Here is what I will do. I will wait and see if the DLC is worth it. If I think it is worth it then I will get the season pass.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here