Microsoft Will Talk About DirectX 12 at GDC 2014

Microsoft Will Talk About DirectX 12 at GDC 2014

Close-to-metal programming, mobile support are on tap for the conference.

Microsoft DirectX 12 310x

DirectX 11 had its time in the sun, but the aging, Windows 7-tied API will soon be put out to pasture. According to Microsoft, DirectX 12 will be detailed at GDC 2014 later this month.

The next DirectX has been confirmed by a new Twitter account controlled by Microsoft, as well as a teaser page detailing the reveal. Those details are sparse, but the announcement will include the "Big Four" chip partners -- Intel, Nvidia, AMD, and Qualcomm.

Little is known about the reveal, but there two sessions on the GDC schedule that will detail the future of DirectX/Direct3D. "DirectX: Evolving Microsoft's Graphics Platform," will be led by Anuj Gosalia (Development Manager, Windows Graphics) on Thursday, March 20th, and the second session, "DirectX: Direct3D Futures," will be presented by Max McMullen (Development Lead, Windows Graphics) later on the same day.

It's unknown when DirectX 12 will be avaiable, although some believe it will be tied to a new Windows release, possibly Windows 9. Regardless, it promises to be a close-to-the-metal API, much like AMD's new Mantle platform.

Don't care. Microsoft will use it to try forcing gamers to use their new Windows.

If find this much more interesting.

What Sniper said.

If bets were being taken on it being 8.X/9 exclusive, I'd be tempted to throw every penny I have on it.

If its good... I hope it is.
Still, developers, have BARELY used up even DX10... I am bloody serious.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAYLHAPPkvw&list=PLD2B82E405CF9650C&index=4

That is from 2008... we have surpassed it but barely.

I just kind of feel like they're pushing something that doesn't need to exist.
DX11 has an incredibly low penetration rate, even to this day. Most games still have a DX9 mode in them. I just don't care about graphical techniques that a new DX allows to be honest.

Charcharo:
Snip

The next big thing will probably be replacing rasterisation with ray tracing.
However, this change would require a drastic jump in performance of home computers. My best bet would be that scientists finally figure out how to make computer chips made out of graphene work.

Till then, it's not the technologies a game uses that matter; It's the artists.

What everyone above me has said, but I must add that if MS did make it 8/9 exclusive it would be utilized by only MS owned developers and those paid off by MS. No developer wanting a good install base is going to launch a game only on the most hated current OS.

We'll see what cards MS has to play against OpenGL and Steam OS at GDC, though I doubt they will be good ones.

TheSniperFan:

Charcharo:
Snip

However, this change would require a drastic jump in performance of home computers. My best bet would be that scientists finally figure out how to make computer chips made out of graphene work.

Good thing those artists are some of the best as well :D :D

And yeah, I do agree with you. That would probably be the next BIG step...
However, I would rather they work on AI and physics first. The graphics high end games like STALKER, Metro and Crysis can offer are... extremely impressive even years after the games came out. What needs to be worked on is physics and AI... you know the things that REALLY do matter.

All aboard the cynical hype train folks, there's no stopping here!.

But seriously though I'm going to remain optimistic rather than showing massive hatred to MS as if it had murdered my family.

On DX11 having little penetration: Agreed.

But we have no idea what the strategy for DX12 is. If it's a close-to-metal API like Mantle, that alone would serve as incentive for developers to adopt the new platform.

Charcharo:
Good thing those artists are some of the best as well :D :D

And yeah, I do agree with you. That would probably be the next BIG step...
However, I would rather they work on AI and physics first. The graphics high end games like STALKER, Metro and Crysis can offer are... extremely impressive even years after the games came out. What needs to be worked on is physics and AI... you know the things that REALLY do matter.

I was only talking about graphics technology.
Game development has many more parts where it can improve. I wholeheartedly agree on the AI.
As for physics:
There might be something very interesting on this year's GDC. ;)
Valve will hold three presentations, two of which are about physics. The last time Valve did something with physics in videogames, they blew everyone's mind with its use in Half-Life 2.

TheSniperFan:
Don't care. Microsoft will use it to try forcing gamers to use their new Windows.

If find this much more interesting.

the weird thing is that Microsoft has been supporting open gl for some time, I wonder why?

Win9 could literally just be a Win8 machine with non-Win8 skins enabled (specifically a win7 skin) and I'd consider it worth the money. Something about having a touch screen interfaced rammed down my throat forcefully when I have a home PC is offensive.

I will give Zero fucks about DirectX 12 unless they make it a cross platform API. No more of this corporate pigeon holding people into buying your operating system. The gaming industry is clearly moving towards a cross platform future.

So.... how about first actually using DirectX11 properly? Because thats not being done by most game developers. We jtu finally phased out DirectX9 now, and while granted 10 is nothing to be proud of 11 is still being updated.

Also how about you talk to more than other companies about it? the whole GDC shtick is just dick waving contest among companies anyway.

TheSniperFan:

Charcharo:
Snip

except that we already have the hardware to make ray tracing work. Its just that since consoles are incapable of it many develoepers chose a less gpu intensive method that allows them to put it on consoles.

Charcharo:

I agree, however the problem is its much harder to work on those things and much harder to sell them. graphics sell, like it or not, majority of gamers are graphic whores.

Shadow-Phoenix:
All aboard the cynical hype train folks, there's no stopping here!.

except that noone in this thread seems to even like it.

Strazdas:
except that we already have the hardware to make ray tracing work. Its just that since consoles are incapable of it many develoepers chose a less gpu intensive method that allows them to put it on consoles.

Offline ray tracing doesn't count.
For ray tracing to replace rasterisation, we need hardware that can ray trace in realtime. And we're not even close yet.
Back in 2012 it took you 4 highend Intel CPUs to render Quake Wars (i.e. not the best looking game) with a resolution of 1280x720 @ 20-35 fps.
Even if we'd go back to 720p gaming first, we'd still need to render much more detailed scenes with all those fancy effects modern games use at +30 fps.
1. We need way faster hardware
2. We need way more research to get an efficient ray tracer

Strazdas:

except that noone in this thread seems to even like it.

"cynical" the hype train for being cynical....because it's a Microsoft article.

Charcharo:
If its good... I hope it is.
Still, developers, have BARELY used up even DX10... I am bloody serious.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAYLHAPPkvw&list=PLD2B82E405CF9650C&index=4

That is from 2008... we have surpassed it but barely.

Now that I think about you are quite right. I barely see any games that use DX10/11 properly or to their full capability. I am just going to assume this is because of the console development keeping studio back from using it. Not because they couldn't do it but more like they don't need to or bother.

But every time I see windows and mobile together I cringe a bit. When did Microsoft confuse PC gaming and mobile gaming together? Do phones really need DX-1x computing? Like... how would you utilize it on the small screen of a phone/tablet?

Also OpenGL developments have lately been much interesting. I have seen some really funky stuff being developed. Specially when I went to visit the local university computer technology dep's game studio. The students are doing quite amazing things.

And nobody bring up ray tracing. I work with 3D modelling and rendering, I been working a lot with light calculations and lighting. And I do test renders at 2 bounces with quadratic light modeling and it still take 20 something hours to render 1080p frame properly. Also what would ray tracing really give us fancier and more realistic graphics granted, but production and development costs would skyrocket.

If Microsoft want this to work they need to make it cross platform and don't restrict it to the new releases of Windows when anything from Vista to 8.1 is capable. I doubt they will though and I fear that we are going to see a return to the API wars of old which will make PC gaming harder than it needs to be.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here