Razer Develops New Mechanical Switch for Gaming Keyboards

Razer Develops New Mechanical Switch for Gaming Keyboards

The two new switch designs are available exclusively in Razer BlackWidow keyboards.

Razer is cutting out the mechanical middle man, and will be using proprietary switches in its BlackWidow gaming keyboards.

Starting today, two Razer-designed switches will be available in the BlackWidow family of input devices -- a green "clicky" switch, and an orange "silent" switch. The two models are both tested for a 60 million keystroke lifetime, and promise to require less force to actuate.

"Instead of focusing solely on typing comfort, as traditional mechanical switches have done, we had to completely rethink the conventional approach behind the actuation and reset points of mechanical switches in order to fine-tune them for gaming," said Razer CEO Min-Liang Tan. "Our engineers' focus for the specification was on speed, accuracy and durability to bring the unfair advantage to gamers worldwide. The new switch makes the most popular gaming keyboard in the world even better."

While the switches are being manufactured by a third party, Razer has "quality assurance experts on the production floor to make sure each switch meticulously follows the design blueprint and specifications defined by Razer."

The stats on the new switches are impressive. Both require 50g or less actuation force to achieve a keystroke (the silent orange switch needs only 45g), and the actuation point is under 2.0mm from the starting position. Razer compares these stats to "standard" mechanical switches, although it's worth pointing out that competitors like Logitech aren't using whatever the standard switch is.

If you're on the hunt for a new mechanical gaming keyboard, the new BlackWidow models are available today, starting at $139.99.

Sixty million keystrokes? From a Razer product?

Every time I hear of a new Razer product, I think of an Onza splattering into pieces the first time somebody drops it. If in two year's time mark one versions of these things are still going I'll take this opinion back, but I think everything Razer make is shite with LEDs in the middle, a glowing turd is still a turd.

Meanwhile my cheap(ish) Logitech 'not gaming' Mouse and Keyboard continue to dodge the eternal embrace of death and the positively ancient Cyborg joystick on my desk still works flawlessly.

Razer... hah. Yeah, unfair advantage...to anyone playinga against someone using one of these. seriously. They are the Nike of PC accessories...not very good, insanely expensive and outdone by cheaper products. You only buy these for the same reason you buy Nike...to show off that you have the money to buy them.

...so very little different from the Cherry MX switches that most mechanical keyboards use? For comparison, my Ducky keyboard uses Cherry MX Browns, which require 45g force and 2mm distance to actuate. The 60M keystroke lifetime is an advantage to the Razer keys, but I'll likely replace my keyboard for a new model long before my switches wear out.

Also of note, according to Razer's specs, the Black Widow keyboards are USB only, which is technically inferior to PS/2 (explanation here.

The only keyboard reccomendation I have is for the Saitek Cyborg, purely because of looks (80's sci-fi) and the fact that it's taken extensive abuse from me and works perfectly fine. My only complaint is the key fading and the fact that the light shows just how disgusting it looks inside.

I get the feeling that most peripherals made since the mid 00's are designed to break fairly easily, especially "gaming" gear.

The Logitech MX500/510/518's were pretty sturdy and I consider them the "3310's" of mice, especially the 500. The G9x Laser I have now is a disaster in comparison, with weak leafsprings (barely even a month before I had to straighten it out, compared to the years it took before I had to open up my 518) and a flimsy scrollwheel. I love the shape of it and the design is pretty sweet... if only the durability was on par, I'd be very happy with it.
The two Razers I had before(mamba/naga) were even worse though and had a really bad feeling to them. I will never buy anything by Razor again.

I'm not sure where to go from here... maybe I'll scrounge up another sealed 518. Some of the early-mid cyborg/mad catz R.A.T.'s look interesting, so I'll dig into it a bit and see if they're sturdy (though I doubt it). I really like the design at least and they look like they have a flat shape like the G9, which is a plus for me.
Alternatively, the G500s might be worth looking into, but I suspect it has the exact same durability issue as current peripherals do.

Again, Razor? No. The whole "we have our best and brightest designing these" speech was nice and all, but I think the real effort they put in, is making them have a limited lifetime. Screw that.
Would like to hear other peoples experiences with their peripherals, especially sturdy headphones.

Razer promise so much and deliver so little, my CM storm trigger may have crap software... but at least the space bar didn't stop working like my friend's Razer.

Although a hardware company designing exclusively for gaming is a good for all of us, so I actually hope this marks a new chapter for them.

fix-the-spade:

Every time I hear of a new Razer product, I think of an Onza splattering into pieces the first time somebody drops it. If in two year's time mark one versions of these things are still going I'll take this opinion back, but I think everything Razer make is shite with LEDs in the middle, a glowing turd is still a turd.

Meanwhile my cheap(ish) Logitech 'not gaming' Mouse and Keyboard continue to dodge the eternal embrace of death and the positively ancient Cyborg joystick on my desk still works flawlessly.

Everyone bashing Razer here makes me a little sad, I've had a blackwidow keyboard and naga mouse from them for over 2 years now and the performance from both is still tip-top. I do extensive gaming on them aswell. Including but not limited to 1600 hours in Dota 2. I've used cheaper products before buying into razer and everything else has keys that I frequent quit working or getting stuck. Really Razer is the best I've used.

Eddie451:

fix-the-spade:

Everyone bashing Razer here makes me a little sad, I've had a blackwidow keyboard and naga mouse from them for over 2 years now and the performance from both is still tip-top. I do extensive gaming on them aswell. Including but not limited to 1600 hours in Dota 2. I've used cheaper products before buying into razer and everything else has keys that I frequent quit working or getting stuck. Really Razer is the best I've used.

I use a Razer keyboard as well and I enjoy it, but that is only because it is my first mechanical keyboard. I have nothing to compare it to. Razer products definitely feel cheap as well and that turns a lot of people off. Razer products are definitely overpriced though and I will likely try another company's keyboard when the one I have breaks.

[Edit] I derped

JaceArveduin:
Sorry Razer, but you lack media controls, most importantly the mute key, so I'll just stick with my HP keyboard. Shame it's not my older one, but I killed it somehow.

What the hell are you talking about, my blackwidow came with media controls and extra keys to put macros to with ease using their synapse program. The default mute for my blackwidow is FN+F1, I also have my naga mouse set up with media controls given it has 14 buttons besides the L/R mouse. Please don't spread lies.

Eddie451:

JaceArveduin:
Sorry Razer, but you lack media controls, most importantly the mute key, so I'll just stick with my HP keyboard. Shame it's not my older one, but I killed it somehow.

What the hell are you talking about, my blackwidow came with media controls and extra keys to put macros to with ease using their synapse program. The default mute for my blackwidow is FN+F1, I also have my naga mouse set up with media controls given it has 14 buttons besides the L/R mouse. Please don't spread lies.

Okay, sorry, I'm blind, not particularly tryin to spread lies.

I blame the neon green xD

This is relevant to my interests. My deathadder is still going strong after years of abuse and my generic wireless POS keyboard needs to be put out of its misery. I swear if I had a quarter for ever LoL death that thing has caused I would be able to replace it easy.

I came in here hoping to mock Razer products for being worthless pieces of shit that break after 6 or so months and cost too fucking much but it seems that I've been beaten to the punch. Good to see people are beginning to notice a lack of quality when they see it, god knows I didn't or I wouldn't have wasted so much money on their trash:

2 Keyboards: One barely made 12 months, the other dying not long after 6. These being their supposed "high-end" (HA!) models.
2 Headsets: I pay out the ass for these things and they barely work, my first headset from them lasts 5 or 6 months, was mid-range though (not a fucking excuse), for a while I'm using a $30 headset I got from the supermarket, unlike my Razer turds that headset never gave me any problems. A year or so later I finally get around to buying a new headset and I pay out the ass, I buy one with all the fancy shit packed in, their very best. It lasts a fucking year before the mic just dies for no reason, but before the mic dies this cunting pile of musty old wank starts fucking with my computer because of its software, I now have no sound on my computer without a headset plugged in because the headset's crap is malfunctioning, making it so my computer doesn't know when I've unplugged the headset so that it can jump back to using my speakers (I've had multiple professionals look into it, everything is fine, it's the fucking Razer). All because these pretentious shitheels want their crap to have features that sound impressive because they do shit in a roundabout and moronic fashion. The sound problem existed for months before ass-fucking my system though (If I fucked about my sound returned), so before it started malfunctioning it lasted 4 months.

Good job Razer.

Fuck You.

So these are basically Razer-branded Cherry MX knockoffs.
From what I hear they're made by Kailh, notorious for making junk MX knockoffs.
Also, seeing as these are just rebranded knockoffs of the switches they used earlier, Razer claiming to have designed it from the ground-up is an outright lie.

Eddie451:

fix-the-spade:

Razer's mice and mousepads are actually ok and don't really deserve all the hate they get, but pretty much all other products they make are inferior to the competition.

Eddie451:

fix-the-spade:

I'm not bashing Razer... I'm just pointing out that there is nothing particularly special about their products. Well maybe their marketing department is pretty good, but I try not to base my purchases on such things...

Looks like they are just getting Cherry to make them some different switches. The tacky gloss plastic will still be there.

Think I will stick to my Ducky G2 Pro PBT with MX Greens.

The amount of bullshit this company has is beyond redemption. They sell extremely overpriced crap that offers 0 performance increase. If you are good at a game you can be good with or without razer "gaming" products. The only thing that significantly improves your ability at a game is a constant framerate in the 30+ range.

I've had two Nagas and a Carcharias. The first Naga mouse wheel broke after about 8 months. The Carcharias disintegrated after 6 months, and the second Naga wireless never really worked properly. I use it as a wired mouse. It has outlasted the first one, but the cord wrap is a tangled mess. I'm not going to lie, there is nothing cheaper and better designed than a Naga multi-button mouse, I just wish it had better quality.

I once wanted to buy a Razer mouse, it was the "cheapest" one of the brand, had just 2 buttons and a weird "not-that-small-but-not big-enough" size and it was about 50 bucks... Mine was an A4 with 5 and a DPI changer that has lasted for about 5 years, it costed $16...

I've never tried anything Razer, nor really plan to, but all I tend to see is just expensive stuff with shiny buttons.

so we should buy this completely unneceesary overpriced propriatary product instead of actual normal mechanical keyboard that can do everything Razer one can because?
seriuosly, there is aboslutely no reason to buy this whatsoever.
And while were at it, why dont we stop this stupid fashion of flat and iunconfortable keys?

Eddie451:

Seriuosly? ONLY 2 years? my current keyboard is at the moment 10 years old and still works the same as on day one. Altrough granted i retired it last week due to asthetics and bought a new one.
and DOTA is primarely a mouse intensive game, and if were throwing hours out there my game trackers report over 11.000 hours spent in games. i literally never had a key stop working, and i buy cheap keyboards because they are usually the most comfortable ones.
meanwhile razer asks extra money for exactly same thing and then even pulls shit like this of trying to reinvent the wheel.

I have had bad luck with Razer products in general that I never bothered to buy a keyboard from them specifically for the fact that they have forgotten to use a damned palm rest with them.

I will buy a Corsair Vengeance K95 instead next week and be done with it.

I'm not sure why people are saying razer's stuff isn't particularly durable, Ive had my naga for about 5 years now and it's still working great (the black sticker on one side of the mouse wheel is peeling away a little, but that's purely aesthetic), the ONLY razer product of mine that has ever broke was a headset, and that was my own fault for pulling too hard when it got snagged in a hole in my bag (the mic snapped off, but it still works great as a set of headphones), and even then it had lasted a good 3 years suffering a fairly good deal of abuse just getting stuffed into a bag with the naga every few hours or so

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here