Nvidia's Tegra K1 Chips Are Absolute Speed Demons

Nvidia's Tegra K1 Chips Are Absolute Speed Demons

Both K1 variants blow by Qualcomm, Samsung competition.

Nvidia Tegra K1 AnTuTu MyDrivers

If AnTuTu benchmarks are to be believed, the K1 mobile chips from Nvidia are the fastest SoCs around.

MyDrivers (via Neowin) posted the AnTuTu numbers, and both K1 variants scored incredibly well. The 3 GHz, 64-bit dual-core variant scored 43,617, while the 32-bit quad-core version (speed unknown) topped it with a score of 43,851. In comparison, the new Snapdragon 805 and 801 chips clocked in at 37,780 and 36,469, respectively. The 805 is expected to be used in at least one version of the Galaxy S5.

Nvidia's Tegra K1 chips pack 192 CUDA GPU cores, and either two or four ARM CPU cores. The reference device seen in the AnTuTu benchmarks has a 1080p display, 2 GB of RAM, and is running Android 4.2.2.

The high numbers are sure to pique enthusiast interest, and it's only good news for those seeking high-performance 1080p (and beyond) devices.

Um, what kind of devices?

Seriously, I'm not really seeing any context here as to what Tegra's are used in. I assume it's good, but what for?

Halp me Escapians.

Me55enger:

Seriously, I'm not really seeing any context here as to what Tegra's are used in. I assume it's good, but what for?

Halp me Escapians.

There are three points that would indicate that these are ment to be used on mobile devices like phones. Firstly that the galaxy s5 is a recently announced Samsung phone. Secondly that the device runs an android operating system. Finally the chips are referred to as 'mobile chips.' So unless I missed some crazy event that took the tech world by storm, it's for things like phones and tablets.

Me55enger:

Halp me Escapians.

The tegra chips are used for mobile devices :)

Me55enger:

Halp me Escapians.

I'm not sure about K1 since it hasn't been released yet, but it's most likely a tablet chip. Lenovo Thinkvision will use one which means it could possibly be used in smart TVs too.

Me55enger:

What do you mean, "what kind of devices"?

These are mobile SOCs (System On a Chip). They will be used in smartphones and tablets, though which ones depend on the manufacturers and their plans for each of their product lines... It's also undoubtedly going to be in the next version of Nvidia's SHIELD and maybe the OUYA 2/too, if they're not bankrupt yet.

192 CUDA cores.

To put that in perspective, the 3 year old mid-range laptop I'm running uses the gt540m, which only has 96 CUDA cores, and I can run Skyrim on High/Far Cry 3 at Medium at 30fps.

Yeah looks like tablets are actually finally going to overtake laptops.

(Warning in advance that I assume number of CUDA cores directly correlates to graphical ability. If it's more like CPU cores then I'm happy for someone to correct me)

Wow... my current laptop is beaten by that mobile chip! I seriouly need to upgrade!

Is it just me or is the captcha serving up a lot of IGA ads?

Yopaz:

Me55enger:

Halp me Escapians.

I'm not sure about K1 since it hasn't been released yet, but it's most likely a tablet chip. Lenovo Thinkvision will use one which means it could possibly be used in smart TVs too.

The K1 has been listed as a mobile chip.

truckspond:

Is it just me or is the captcha serving up a lot of IGA ads?

I've got about 5 Dish ads in a row. I just think the Captcha system has a lack of variety.

yamy:
192 CUDA cores.

To put that in perspective, the 3 year old mid-range laptop I'm running uses the gt540m, which only has 96 CUDA cores, and I can run Skyrim on High/Far Cry 3 at Medium at 30fps.

Yeah looks like tablets are actually finally going to overtake laptops.

(Warning in advance that I assume number of CUDA cores directly correlates to graphical ability. If it's more like CPU cores then I'm happy for someone to correct me)

The Tegra K1 has been in development for a couple of years, on one its prototypes (now defunct Tegra 5) they actually demonstrated it running Battlefield 3 to tech press with similar fidelity to the last gen of consoles.

Personally I expect to see this chip in ultrabooks, higher end notebooks and maybe some of the pricer tablet/notebook hybrids. Not without a huge jump in the demands on a tablet or phones resources, they already have to much processing and graphics rendering power for their needs at the moment.

Zachary Amaranth:

Yopaz:

Me55enger:

Halp me Escapians.

Sure, but mobile chip means a lot. The entire Tegra series are mobile chips, but they're used by various devices. Snapdragon (which is one of those mentioned in the article) is a mobile chip, but it is used for smart TVs too and a Lenovo monitor has already been listed one of the units that will use it. So simply knowing it's a mobile chip doesn't really say much beyond the fact that it will be used for either phones, PDAs, tablets or TVs.

Yopaz:

Zachary Amaranth:

Yopaz:

Sure, but mobile chip means a lot. The entire Tegra series are mobile chips, but they're used by various devices. Snapdragon (which is one of those mentioned in the article) is a mobile chip, but it is used for smart TVs too and a Lenovo monitor has already been listed one of the units that will use it. So simply knowing it's a mobile chip doesn't really say much beyond the fact that it will be used for either phones, PDAs, tablets or TVs.

It's really unsurprising. The Tegra line is (unless something has changed recently) for high end tablets. The Snapdragon line, on the other hand, is primarily for smart phones, and it runs the gamut from cheap prepaid models to flagship phones, depending on the specific chip in question. If it shows up in a tablet, it seems like it's usually a lower end model. I'd expect the Tegra line to outperform snapdragon line, and it's not like it's some order of maginitude difference. We're talking about a tablet processor outperforming a smart phone processor by about a third, assuming those numbers actually mean anything.

Edit: Actually, way less than a third. I'm too lazy to do the math right now, but it looks closer to a sixth than a third.

Owyn_Merrilin:

Yopaz:

Zachary Amaranth:

It's really unsurprising. The Tegra line is (unless something has changed recently) for high end tablets. The Snapdragon line, on the other hand, is primarily for smart phones, and it runs the gamut from cheap prepaid models to flagship phones, depending on the specific chip in question. If it shows up in a tablet, it seems like it's usually a lower end model. I'd expect the Tegra line to outperform snapdragon line, and it's not like it's some order of maginitude difference. We're talking about a tablet processor outperforming a smart phone processor by about a third, assuming those numbers actually mean anything.

Edit: Actually, way less than a third. I'm too lazy to do the math right now, but it looks closer to a sixth than a third.

Don't forget about the Shield! At this rate the second version may not even need a computer to be able to play full PC games!

So here you see it folks. Tegra is the chip that will allow you 1080p/60FPS gaming on your tablet, while your new consoels cant do that. They are supposed to be roughly 30% faster than the previuos consoles btw, so lastgen is already beaten by cell phones. heck, as been pointed out, most laptops are beaten by this chip. This means that your phone will deliver better graphical quality than your console and thus using your phone hooked to TV and to a controller will be a better option provided games are identical.
and they wodner why we said consoles are underperforming. cell phones are beating them.

Strazdas:
So here you see it folks. Tegra is the chip that will allow you 1080p/60FPS gaming on your tablet, while your new consoels cant do that. They are supposed to be roughly 30% faster than the previuos consoles btw, so lastgen is already beaten by cell phones. heck, as been pointed out, most laptops are beaten by this chip. This means that your phone will deliver better graphical quality than your console and thus using your phone hooked to TV and to a controller will be a better option provided games are identical.
and they wodner why we said consoles are underperforming. cell phones are beating them.

There's more to it than just the resolution. You could probably squeeze 1080P60 out of an N64, and definitely could do it with an original Xbox. You just had to sacrifice pretty for high resolution. That's what's going on with the consoles -- they /can/ do it, but the devs are more interested in keeping things pretty than keeping them high rez, which is a balancing act anyone who's ever gamed on an underpowered PC can tell you about.

Owyn_Merrilin:

There's more to it than just the resolution. You could probably squeeze 1080P60 out of an N64, and definitely could do it with an original Xbox. You just had to sacrifice pretty for high resolution. That's what's going on with the consoles -- they /can/ do it, but the devs are more interested in keeping things pretty than keeping them high rez, which is a balancing act anyone who's ever gamed on an underpowered PC can tell you about.

see, the problem with that is, you can do it as pretty as you want, but it will still look liek crap if you are looking though a watered glass, which is what low resolutions give you.

As far as framerate goes, im sure i dont need to tell you the benefits of that and why 60 should be a standard for what is supposed to be a high end gaming machine.

I have been gaming on a low end PC for a long time multiple times, and i will take resolution over pretty any time, becuase its much more important factor.

Strazdas:

Owyn_Merrilin:

see, the problem with that is, you can do it as pretty as you want, but it will still look liek crap if you are looking though a watered glass, which is what low resolutions give you.

As far as framerate goes, im sure i dont need to tell you the benefits of that and why 60 should be a standard for what is supposed to be a high end gaming machine.

I have been gaming on a low end PC for a long time multiple times, and i will take resolution over pretty any time, becuase its much more important factor.

Super low resolutions look like that, as do moderately low resolutions on a huge screen. But, say, 1024X600 (which is that 600P resolution everything ran at last gen) isn't really bad, nor is 1152X648, another common sub-HD resolution.

At any rate, the point stands that the consoles /can/ do 1080P, the devs just choose not to so they can squeeze out more pretty shadows and particle effects, and then maybe cover it up some with anti-aliasing. On a tablet the expectations are lower, so it's easier for devs to actually hit 1080P. It just doesn't have as many fancy effects going all at once.

Owyn_Merrilin:

Super low resolutions look like that, as do moderately low resolutions on a huge screen. But, say, 1024X600 (which is that 600P resolution everything ran at last gen) isn't really bad, nor is 1152X648, another common sub-HD resolution.

At any rate, the point stands that the consoles /can/ do 1080P, the devs just choose not to so they can squeeze out more pretty shadows and particle effects, and then maybe cover it up some with anti-aliasing. On a tablet the expectations are lower, so it's easier for devs to actually hit 1080P. It just doesn't have as many fancy effects going all at once.

Yes, they are "Really bad". Only people who never saw a real 1080p (not the compressed blue rays or youtube videos) with either antializing or supersampling (granted thats technically generating even higher resolutions) can say that.

Yes, consoles technically can do, but the developers chose not to. Altrough developers choices does not really mean its a good choice, what with them always overdoing everything like grey cover based shooter mess or the whole "were sick of zombies here are more zombies" deal.
Consoles dont do AA. they do some tricks there to pretend to be doing AA, but its not close to even FXAA which is the lowest form of AA to begin with (technically only SSAA is "pure" AA but most hardware isnt powerful enough for that)

See, this is why tablet games end up looking actually better, they know that resolution comes first because without resolution noone is going to see your pretty graphics anyway. while i agree with you about expectations, this is often due to mobile market seen slightly differently (no thanks to handdheld gaming devices and their underpowered hardware), and people expect these games to be simple. and most of them are. but the new Tegra K1 that Nvidia unveiled last year (and escapist reported on this friday) outperforms the previuos generation consoles by around 20%. They are catching up and fast.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here