Shaq Fu Sequel Crowdfunder Headed by O'Neal Himself - Update

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Shaq Fu Sequel Crowdfunder Headed by O'Neal Himself - Update

"This time, we won't fu it up."

Update: Added gameplay teaser trailer.

Original Story: Remember Shaq Fu, the basketball-themed fighting game released back in 1994, regarded by many to be one of the worst video games ever made? Well it's back, and the main man himself - Shaquille O'Neal - is heading the sequel crowdfunding efforts on IndieGoGo. Shaq Fu - A Legend Reborn is looking for $450,000 in funding, in order to produce a PC beat-'em-up in which players step into O'Neal's size 22 shoes and attempt to defeat the Black Star Ninja and the assassins he commands. "This time, we won't fu it up," promised O'Neal in the campaign's pitch video.

Shaq Fu is what the original game should have been - an instant classic. We're talking Streets of Rage meets Street Fighter meets Devil May Cry. It's a modern day take on the classic beat 'em up. Play as Shaquille O'Neal - learn hundreds of moves and battle techniques, take on thousands of enemies with dozens of cool melee weapons, battle bosses in dynamic arenas, master cool finishing moves and play with your buddies in COOP mode or against each other in player vs player combat.

The game is being developed by Big Deez in collaboration with O'Neal, and the Indiegogo campaign is running for 46 days, from today through 2:59 a.m. ET on April 21. Pledges can get their hands on some exclusive Shaq memorabilia, such as a limited edition t-shirt for $55, a basketball signed by O'Neal for $475, or a signed Shaq jersey for $500. For $1,000, Shaq will follow you on Twitter, and for the ultimate Shaq fan, $15,000 nets you and five friends lunch with the man himself, followed by a game of pick-up basketball at his house.

If you just want the game, $15 will get you a copy of the game (which will cost $29.99 at launch) and $25 gets you "free DLC for life," which Big Deez values at over $200. Stretch goals will bring the game to platforms other than the PC, and O'Neal says he will donate 5 percent of all profits from the game to the Boys and Girls Clubs of America.

This is certainly one to keep a close eye on, and may be the first crowdfunder that I will actually contribute to...

Source IndieGoGo

...trying so hard not to laugh right now. Failing.

But now for the real question: WHY?!?
At what point does "Wow, this is one of the worst video games in history. Let's try it again," become a valid train of thought?

Now all we need is the much-anticipated E.T. reboot....

Honestly, I think by signing up with Indiegogo, they may of guaranteed they won't be hitting that 450k mark. The site just isn't as big as Kickstarter, and the amount of people willing to back on projects (especially big ones like this) are lacking much more than they are elsewhere.

Not to say that they won't succeed, mind you, seeing as the only reason ANYONE ever bothers to go through Indiegogo is because they offer an option Kickstarter doesn't; that is, the option to forgo the "succeed and pay" style of Kickstarter and going with the "give us money now, and we might succeed and do something later". That, and the fact that the idiots running the site have refused to offer any real way for users to cancel or adjust pledges.

I like how some of the rewards are just interacting with Shaq on social media, like Shaq follows you on Instagram and likes your photos, or Shaq follows you on Twitter for one year. Granted, I don't know what other types of rewards they could go with for a game like ShaqFu, seen as the whole point of the game is Shaq. Still, I like that they're going for a fun, silly aesthetic with this.

Kieve:

At what point does "Wow, this is one of the worst video games in history. Let's try it again," become a valid train of thought?

Better they remake a shit game, than a good one.
Remake a good game: If you do bad, the fans will hate you forever.
If you do good, but change to much (read: anything) fans hate you forever.

Remake a bad game: if you do bad: Who cares, Shaq fu sucked.
If you do good: Success!

OT: Hell, if it were on KS, I might donate just for the humor of the dev team. Not enough to buy the game, mind, but still. And some decent rewards, from what I saw, other than the "Shaq follows your twitter that he doesn't read."

I dunno what's going on anymore. I really don't. O_o

Just watching the video for this makes me wonder if this is an elaborate hoax or they're dead serious. If the latter, then I need to call into question the sanity of the people behind this. The design of Shaq's character alone is enough to bury the needle on the WTF meter. I like me a Beat 'Em Up game but not like this.

This is too much to lay on me before bedtime. X_X

You know I had this really weird dream a few days ago.

I was standing in the center of an empty graveyard; it was night, and there was a heavy fog in the air. Suddenly, a tall wizard in a purple robe appeared before me. With a giant grin, he lifted up his wand and cast a spell. Suddenly, a dead man rose from one of the graves. It stood up and took a dump. Then it picked up that dump, ate it, and took another dump again. This repeated for what seemed like hours, and all the while, the wizard just stood there, grinning.

NOW I KNOW WHAT IT MEANS!!!

Kieve:

Better question: When does "Wow, this is one of the worst video games in history. Let's try it again," STOP being a valid train of thought?

It's certainly better than trying again on a game that was already good and doesn't need the help.

Doomsdaylee:

Better they remake a shit game, than a good one.
Remake a good game: If you do bad, the fans will hate you forever.
If you do good, but change to much (read: anything) fans hate you forever.

Remake a bad game: if you do bad: Who cares, Shaq fu sucked.
If you do good: Success!

The logic of this argument is simply perfect.

OT: Frankly... I'm actually for this. It looks like it's JUST dumb enough to succeed on sheer balls alone. But the question is: Can they be dumb enough on a spectacular enough level to make the game endearing, while still making it ACTUALLY fun to play?

Whether this game is good, bad, or never even makes it off the ground, I eagerly await the result.

.....Oh my. This will be interesting to watch.
Personally I don't plan on touching this game with a forty-nine and a half-foot pole, but it will be entertaining to see how it turns out.

And is it just me, or does Shaq look even worse in that video than in the original game?!

While I'm not giving this a penny, I'm going to watch this closely, and desperately hope it reaches it's goal. Then the fun begins. I'm actually hoping this game will be good. It'll probably go down in gaming history as one of the "how the hell did this happen and turn out good?" moments.

adding "shaq" on various video game titles make them sound like cheap weird sex/hentai parody flash games.

immagine you get caught playing flappyshaq by yourself

does shaq really need further ego stroking? I mean really how many people have to line up to suck this idiots cock before it's enough and he gets over himself. i'm sure he's a nice guy and all but holy three tited jesus has he got a big ego.

is there an option to pledge against them? like if we raise enough money they won't be able to make this awful shit storm of a game concept into reality

Surely Shaq has $450 k lying around to be able to pay for the game's development cost.

Oh? No? He's going to have other people pay for it when they didn't even like the first one?

Oh, Shaq. Oh you.

AdmiralCheez:
I like how some of the rewards are just interacting with Shaq on social media, like Shaq follows you on Instagram and likes your photos, or Shaq follows you on Twitter for one year. Granted, I don't know what other types of rewards they could go with for a game like ShaqFu, seen as the whole point of the game is Shaq. Still, I like that they're going for a fun, silly aesthetic with this.

I like how some of the rewards are just doing work for them. I thought paying $500 for the privilege of writing music for them was bad until I saw that you could pay $6500 to work as a concept artist for "credit."

What the fuck?

Smells like a rat, through and through...

Hundred moves , thousand enemies ? Finisher moves as well, and mixes Streets of Rage and DMC while its at it, and tosses in COOP or even PvP... sure it doesnt brew beer and stock my fridge as well ?
All for only $450k ? Yeah right.

The price structure is ludicrous as well, they already admitted they will DLC the crap out of it to the tune of $200 unless you buy the DLC free for life rubbish.
All on the promise of some basketball player who has already backed a failed game before (to be honest I didnt think the original was the worst game ever, just not very good).

This is a start up doomed to fail right at the start, I mean if it goes well and gets the backers much of the cash will be used up on the shirts , balls and jerseys before any coding... or worse this is a title already done and this 'starter' is to hype and initiate money hoovering out the wallets before exposing the actual game to critique.

Guess old sports stars cant really make a comeback like old music stars when the money bin runs dry.

I have to admit...I was a lot more Hype watching that Game Teaser then I should have been...

GrinningCat:
Surely Shaq has $450 k lying around to be able to pay for the game's development cost.

Oh? No? He's going to have other people pay for it when they didn't even like the first one?

Oh, Shaq. Oh you.

Maybe $450k is just the 10-20% they want from the players to gauge interest before they go all in on the project with the remaining 80-90%(50-50 is more realistic though)?

It wouldn't be a dumb move considering the subject matter.

Wait there are fans of the game or fans of Shaq O'neal? (Must be the latter.)

Also why they did mention people who worked from Falo, Final Fantasy etc but they didn't give the exact names who worked on those games.

Besides there are worse legacy than having a sucky game about you.

ASnogarD:
Smells like a rat, through and through...

Hundred moves , thousand enemies ? Finisher moves as well, and mixes Streets of Rage and DMC while its at it, and tosses in COOP or even PvP... sure it doesnt brew beer and stock my fridge as well ?
All for only $450k ? Yeah right.

The price structure is ludicrous as well, they already admitted they will DLC the crap out of it to the tune of $200 unless you buy the DLC free for life rubbish.
All on the promise of some basketball player who has already backed a failed game before (to be honest I didnt think the original was the worst game ever, just not very good).

This is a start up doomed to fail right at the start, I mean if it goes well and gets the backers much of the cash will be used up on the shirts , balls and jerseys before any coding... or worse this is a title already done and this 'starter' is to hype and initiate money hoovering out the wallets before exposing the actual game to critique.

Guess old sports stars cant really make a comeback like old music stars when the money bin runs dry.

Course they're gonna hype the shit out of it. And maybe it'll stock your fridge later if you buy the DLC.

Also speaking of jerseys, balls, and shirts. I think Shaq has plenty just laying about he'll give up.

OT: ...If they keep it silly as all hell like the teaser, I would maybe buy this game. You know, after I know it functions properly..

That teaser looked... terrible. That was some really half-assed animation.

Yeah, these crowdfunding projects are getting a little out of control.

Okay ROlling Willpower to Not ROFL vs DC 18. Result: 1. I tried....

ROFL!

Seriously. I think what they're hoping that there's a whole generation of gamers out there that never experienced the craptacular nature of the first Shaq Fu. Saddly that's also the same generation who doesn't give a damn about who Shaq is. Their only reference may well be...that guy who starred in Steel.

No surprise that this game is chiefly crowdfunded by himself...

Shaq...if you're gonna put a game with yourself... hears a freebie, "Shaq's Fireballin'!" a Basket Ball game with a Beat em up twist. But really Shaq Fu... that was the game that made Home Improvement for the SNES look Good! It's legendary suckitude is surpassed only by the likes of E.T. It was a horrid game! I mean celebrety tie in games usually suck but this was horrid even by those standards.

Scarim Coral:
Wait there are fans of the game or fans of Shaq O'neal? (Must be the latter.)

For some actually they love Shaq Fu because it's so bad. It's one of those, "so bad it's good" sorta things from what I understand, so possibly more of a guilty pleasure. I mean hell, I'm kinda tempted to contribute to this just to see how it turns out. Because in the grand scheme of things for how the original Shaq Fu was, they'd have to try really hard to make it more of a terrible game then the original.

Obvious stinker kickstarter is obvious.

This is destined to fail on so many levels...where do I begin?

1) The original game. (why remake this?)
The original Shaq Fu was a lazy cash-grab. That was to be expected. Anything that was even remotely popular at the time got a shitty shovelware game. (Wayne's World got a shitty video game...no, TWO shitty video games.)

But that's not the problem. If anything, the sub-shit-grade of Shaq Fu actually gives it a lot of room for improvement, which I maintain, is one of the few legitimate reasons to actually remake something.

No, the first big problem is relevancy; Shaq doesn't have it.

For those who didn't live through the 90s (or haven't heard/studied it), a brief history lesson:
Basketball owned America in the early to mid 90s. Especially 1993-1997. Especially if you were a kid in grade or high school.
(I grew up around Chicagoland when the Bulls were on top of the world. You bet your ass that basketball was inescapable.)

Games like Shaq Fu, White Men Can't Jump, Rapjam Vol. 1 (which is a basketball game NOT STARRING BASKETBALL PLAYERS), or even movies like Space Jam could have only been made in a time like that.

Which isn't to say Basketball isn't popular now; but it doesn't dominate the consciousness of the media and youth of America like it did.

To make a long story short: Game companies weren't just making basketball video games, they were making games to exploit basketball's popularity. Big difference.

The fact is, Shaq Fu is tied to a specific player at a specific time when an idea that laughably terrible could get funding.
It has no place, no business trying to make a comeback now.

2) Shaquille O'Neal is shameless.
Just look at his filmography. Look and be horrified. (and if you aren't horrified, well, I invite you to break out the booze, get some friends and prepare to laugh cry and suffer together)

The dude appeared in Freddy Got Fingered, for fuck's sake!

I don't know if this could get anymore obvious; Shaq is starting a kickstarter to wring out some cash from the last drops of his fame (or infamy). Because I know that if I had such an atrocious game associated with my name (literally in the TITLE) I would do my best to make sure people forgot it; because I have standards.

Besides, if you want a ridiculous game about a basketball superstar, just Google search "Charles Barkley's Shut Up and Jam Gaiden". It's 10 kinds of fucked up and ugly, but it's still a much better and more interesting game than Shaq Fu.

I have no earthly idea why this exists, but god-DAMN am I happy that it does! I really hope we'll get to see this.

After seeing some of that gameplay and that video, watching the videos themselves... I honestly want to play this. It's basically a Street Fighter-esque action game. Which is like a dream come true, to be honest.

Kieve:

It's funny, if you watch the videos on the IndieGogo page, even Shaq acknowledges how that game was. He knows it was terrible. And it's honestly that recognition which gives this one hope. He isn't all, "That game was awesome, people loved it". And a good action game with experienced industry veterans on the team is a great idea, IMO. It doesn't have to involve Shaq, but that isn't gonna hurt the game. If these guys were like, we are making this action game with combat in the vain of Street Fighter, I would be all over it anyway. Shaq also has a very positive media image. He has devoted large portion of his own fortune and time to several charities that actually help kids. Also, he is giving 10% off all proceeds from the game to The Boys and Girls Club of America, if it gets made and is made publicly available.

GrinningCat:

Oh, Shaq. Oh you.

They are testing interest in the game. $450k isn't going to fund even the majority of the game. He is going to privately fund most of it from his own pocket. But why make a game if no one is gonna be interested in it.

Atmos Duality:
Obvious stinker kickstarter is obvious.

This is destined to fail on so many levels...where do I begin?

1) The original game. (why remake this?)
The original Shaq Fu was a lazy cash-grab. That was to be expected. Anything that was even remotely popular at the time got a shitty shovelware game. (Wayne's World got a shitty video game...no, TWO shitty video games.)

But that's not the problem. If anything, the sub-shit-grade of Shaq Fu actually gives it a lot of room for improvement, which I maintain, is one of the few legitimate reasons to actually remake something.

No, the first big problem is relevancy; Shaq doesn't have it.

For those who didn't live through the 90s (or haven't heard/studied it), a brief history lesson:
Basketball owned America in the early to mid 90s. Especially 1993-1997. Especially if you were a kid in grade or high school.
(I grew up around Chicagoland when the Bulls were on top of the world. You bet your ass that basketball was inescapable.)

Games like Shaq Fu, White Men Can't Jump, Rapjam Vol. 1 (which is a basketball game NOT STARRING BASKETBALL PLAYERS), or even movies like Space Jam could have only been made in a time like that.

Which isn't to say Basketball isn't popular now; but it doesn't dominate the consciousness of the media and youth of America like it did.

To make a long story short: Game companies weren't just making basketball video games, they were making games to exploit basketball's popularity. Big difference.

The fact is, Shaq Fu is tied to a specific player at a specific time when an idea that laughably terrible could get funding.
It has no place, no business trying to make a comeback now.

2) Shaquille O'Neal is shameless.
Just look at his filmography. Look and be horrified. (and if you aren't horrified, well, I invite you to break out the booze, get some friends and prepare to laugh cry and suffer together)

The dude appeared in Freddy Got Fingered, for fuck's sake!

I don't know if this could get anymore obvious; Shaq is starting a kickstarter to wring out some cash from the last drops of his fame (or infamy). Because I know that if I had such an atrocious game associated with my name (literally in the TITLE) I would do my best to make sure people forgot it; because I have standards.

Besides, if you want a ridiculous game about a basketball superstar, just Google search "Charles Barkley's Shut Up and Jam Gaiden". It's 10 kinds of fucked up and ugly, but it's still a much better and more interesting game than Shaq Fu.

Some nice points you raise about the hows and whys of this stuff. But yea todays baskeball is a joke.

I do wonder about his wallet i mean i know he does icy hot commericals i have seen them i assume he does other endorsement deals signing deals etc. if he really thinks this is a game he can be proud of put your money where your ego is and get it ade write your own check instead of pimping yourself out on tiwer and a dinner for the price of a ecno car.

Kieve:

Is it just me, or does this one look worse than the original? Why does he have that distended neck muscle bulge deformity? I think that this game would have been better looking with his actual body, and not some steroid-modded Hulk-body with a vaguely familiar looking face. Also, his smile was creepy as shit. The rendering will give me nightmares...

Ok, first thought:

WHAT IS WRONG WITH HIS NECK?!

Second, as much as I understand something like this could use a heavy dose of parody and silliness to overcome the blatant egotism, am I the only one a bit disappointed that the whole thing is ditching the storyline from the first game? Granted, it wasn't deep or original, but the designs were interesting and a little fleshing out could've made it more unique. I mean, you've got an Arabian prince, a coal miner, a martial artist trying to save his grandson, a cyborg, a voodoo priestess and her undead father, a catgirl, a spiked beastman, a dude NAMED Beast who looks like a demonic Wolverine, and the boss is an evil mummy. That's the kind of creativity on par with the wackier 90's arcade stuff like World Heroes or Killer Instinct - not necessarily Capcom-level psychotic but still interesting. Now he's just fighting ninjas? Lame. As far as I'm concerned, the game's main problem wasn't so much the premise or design, but that the mechanics were slow and dodgy. If they could just refine the gameplay and expand on the original - and damn if there isn't potential in that odd little world they set up - then it would be far more enticing.

There are going to be finishing moves? They will have my money if one of them is Shaq ripping a guys head off and then trying (and failing) to make a free throw with it for what seems like an eternity, as in Celebrity Deathmatch.
Besides, it's not like this game has a very high bar to jump, it just has to be better than the old one. If we get something that's about as engaging as the Fist of the North Star games, I'd call it a great success, especially given that they aren't even asking the price of a full game.
Did he specify whether the donations were from gross or net profits? Because one of those is a lot bigger than the other.

For $1000 he'll follow you on twitter? What in the fuck is the value of that? I fail to see a dimes worth of value there. I dont care what random celebrity decides to skip over my bi-annual tweets. God, its moments like this that make me want to punch this stupid digital age in the face.

Initial thought:

If they really wanted it to disassociate themselves with the mistake of a game, they should have called it "Shaq-Fist - We're not Gonna 'Fu' it up!"

What say you all?

GrinningCat:

Oh, Shaq. Oh you.

Other people have answered, but yeah, on the site it says Shaq is funding a lot of it as well, which is great considering it's a huge risk and there's a chance he may not make his money back, Shaw is just a cool guy,

NerAnima:
.....Oh my. This will be interesting to watch.
Personally I don't plan on touching this game with a forty-nine and a half-foot pole, but it will be entertaining to see how it turns out.

And is it just me, or does Shaq look even worse in that video than in the original game?!

Having looked at some screen shots, in the original game Shaq looked like a reasonably proportioned human being. In the new trailer he looks like he has an alien parasite growing in his back, trying to strangle him from inside his own neck.

Unless that gets toned down a bit I'm not interested.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here