Tomb Raider Approaching Six Million Units Sold, Exceeds Expectations

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Tomb Raider Approaching Six Million Units Sold, Exceeds Expectations

Tomb Raider Bday

Crystal Dynamics studio boss Darrell Gallagher reveals the Tomb Raider reboot will hit six million units sold by the end of this month, and thanks fans for their support for making the game the fastest selling entry in the franchise's history.

Just in case you didn't know, Lara Croft's latest adventure and reboot, simply titled Tomb Raider, has been quite the success for studio Crystal Dynamics and publisher Square Enix. While the publisher expressed disappointment at the title's early sales figures even though it turned a profit, that might change very, very soon. In a post on the official Tomb Raider Tumblr, Crystal Dynamics boss Darrell Gallagher posted a lengthy message announcing that its the game's "Birthday" this week, and congratulated fans for their support for the game's success. According to Gallagher, they will surpass six million units sold by the end of the month, and "having achieved profitability in 2013," Tomb Raider has "exceeded profit expectations and continues to make significant contributions to our overall financial performance."

Gallagher adds that at launch, the reboot has set franchise records for the fastest selling day one and month one in Tomb Raider series history, and this, in turn, has made the Tomb Raider (2013) the best-selling game in the franchise's history. Not only did Gallagher thank fans, but he also used the message to state what's ahead for the series. "And like every great adventure, the story continues long after the initial launch. It's great to be able to look back at the last twelve months and share some of the achievements we are really proud of. We can't wait to continue our adventures with Lara in the sequel that is in development at Crystal Dynamics. We are also looking forward to building on the success and lessons learned from the reboot to continue redefining and setting new benchmarks for Tomb Raider in the years to come," Gallagher finishes.

As someone who loved the reboot, I'm very happy that it's exceeding expectations. While six million units sold might be small compared to the Call of Dutys and Grand Theft Autos of the gaming world, it's still a very impressive achievement -- especially for a franchise deemed irrelevant by some. If you've yet to play the reboot, The Escapist's review gives it a full five-star mark, and states, "This is the Tomb Raider you've wanted for years."

Source: Tomb Raider Tumblr

Oh my god, Games sell past the first week/month after release? WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT IT!?!?!?

This is one thing that always kinda bothered me when publishers measure a game's financial success - the fact that they focus almost entirely on initial sales. This isn't the movie industry (though even there disc sales make more and more money), games often tend to have a slower, longer burn, with many potential customers holding off for reviews, word of mouth, sales, patches, etc. Sales do slow down as time passes, but you need to wait for at least a year past release to have a decent idea of how well your game did.

Kinda reinforces the notion that the people running this industry don't really know anything about it...

Well, I am glad to hear that it is doing well. Though like the above poster said, it seems like many of the higher ups in the industry really don't know what the Hell they're doing.

But only the first week or so actually counts! If a game doesn't sell 3.6 million copies in the first two weeks or so it is obviously a failure! Also, obviously the only way to boost game revenue is to pump more money into development and use expensive stuff like motion capturing! What could ever go wrong? After all bigger is always better.

Seriously though, good to hear they were actually selling better than their first reactions suggested. Maybe some publishers will learn a little from it.

Excellent, now we get a sequel. :-) Only thing i didnt like about the remake was the tomb levels, they were very short and easy. Would love some of the massive puzzle tombs that were in the original. But other than that i liked the game, story and the new Lara.

STILL NOT GOOD ENOUGH lol How was this game considers a failure again ? Oh yes, greedy assholes.

Jandau:
Oh my god, Games sell past the first week/month after release? WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT IT!?!?!?

This is one thing that always kinda bothered me when publishers measure a game's financial success - the fact that they focus almost entirely on initial sales. This isn't the movie industry (though even there disc sales make more and more money), games often tend to have a slower, longer burn, with many potential customers holding off for reviews, word of mouth, sales, patches, etc. Sales do slow down as time passes, but you need to wait for at least a year past release to have a decent idea of how well your game did.

Kinda reinforces the notion that the people running this industry don't really know anything about it...

That's an interesting take. Maybe the "people running this industry" are following the Hollywood model, maybe they were Hollywood, burned-out, business douches. It would certainly fit with the douchebagued business pattern we've seen in the last years. You know, the price gouging, IP milking, cynical reboots and remakes, lay-offs, disrespect to the "consumer" ( not audience, not gamers, but "consumer" as in "gives us your money and fuck you!").

Ironically, Tomb Raider was a pretty good game. But that's because the actual talent needed to make a videogame software solution still seems to be composed by good hearted programming geeks who love gaming. It's the bosses who where brought in to satisfy greed the ones that are fucking up.

AstaresPanda:
STILL NOT GOOD ENOUGH lol How was this game considers a failure again ? Oh yes, greedy assholes.

Really speaks of the greed modern publishers have, is your game both profitable and the best selling one in a series that spans over a decade? Not good enough, it must make moar! money.

All them are the same and have the same greed.

SonOfVoorhees:
Excellent, now we get a sequel. :-) Only thing i didnt like about the remake was the tomb levels, they were very short and easy. Would love some of the massive puzzle tombs that were in the original. But other than that i liked the game, story and the new Lara.

This sums it up pretty good. Found the game good fun, enjoyed the reimaging or atleast redesign of lara and hope the tombs become just all round better.

Of course the publisher was freaking out about it not reaching expectations, Squenix is part of the old guard. In the days of disc based games, poor sales in the first couple of months soon placed the game out of consumer hands because the next big game came along in that time. Welcome to the digital age! I swear, I really am starting to dislike Squenix. They are just incapable of changing their view to meet modern standards.

Jandau:

You ninja, you.

Maybe this will finally show the publishers that initial sales don't mean jack shit. I really loved Tomb Raider. So much that I would definitely buy the Definitive Edition if they were to release it on the PC. Or if I get a PS4. But I don't know if that will happen anytime soon.

Alex Co:
The Escapist's review gives it a full five-star mark, and states, "This is the Tomb Raider you've wanted for years."

Ahhh, so it has a functioning nude cheat does it? :)
(for those confused, it's a 90's joke)

Next time I am going shopping, I will have to see about it for PC.

Nah. Still not good enough. It must sell. HARDER. FASTER. STRONGER. But it's ok. We can rebuild it, as a reboot of reboot. Laura Croft will now be a 30 something caucasian male with short brown hair and a tragic military past.

008Zulu:

Alex Co:
The Escapist's review gives it a full five-star mark, and states, "This is the Tomb Raider you've wanted for years."

to think I've read somewhere that the lead director of the project actually wanted to include a nude mod to the game. but the art director ( or the writer, or whoever was ) refused to do so.
I can't accurately remember the details of this rumor _ I've read it a while back, and you know what a slough a gamers memory is_

still. on the subject at hand : CRYSTAL DYNAMICS FOR THE WIN !!
I wish them the best of luck.

Square Enix: "So when we said that 3.4 million copies in ONE MONTH was a "disappointment", we may have been a tad premature... and greedy... and woefully out of touch with reality. Meanwhile, we're very proud of our Final Fantasy XIII brand. The new game sold a stellar 250,000 at launch, which is only an 85% dropoff from the original game! Lightning truly is the face of Square Enix that will save our company."

The TR reboot was an amazing game glad its doing well. should have gotten more consideration on that goty thing but was released far too early i think and people had just forgotten about it.

Trishbot:
Square Enix: "So when we said that 3.4 million copies in ONE MONTH was a "disappointment", we may have been a tad premature... and greedy... and woefully out of touch with reality. Meanwhile, we're very proud of our Final Fantasy XIII brand. The new game sold a stellar 250,000 at launch, which is only an 85% dropoff from the original game! Lightning truly is the face of Square Enix that will save our company."

It seems like Square Enix has some very skewed priorities.

That, or their executives are nuttier than a Snickers bar.

AstaresPanda:

Yeah, I remember a certain Jimquisition episode discussing how Tomb Raider when it first came out was an "abject failure" in the eyes of the company even though it sold a tidy 2 million plus. Now they give it a few tweaks, probably at minimal cost I might add, and re-release it and suddenly it's selling like hotcakes and they're happy again.

marioandsonic:

Trishbot:

I'll take "Nuttier than a Payday" for $1000 Alex.

Dead Century:
Nah. Still not good enough. It must sell. HARDER. FASTER. STRONGER. But it's ok. We can rebuild it, as a reboot of reboot. Laura Croft will now be a 30 something caucasian male with short brown hair and a tragic military past.

There is a tumblr post out there depicting this...with them having no shirt on and washboard abs and teeny, tiny, tight shorts.

Not really my bag though.

A.K.B.:

008Zulu:

Alex Co:

to think I've read somewhere that the lead director of the project actually wanted to include a nude mod to the game. but the art director ( or the writer, or whoever was ) refused to do so.
I can't accurately remember the details of this rumor _ I've read it a while back, and you know what a slough a gamers memory is_

still. on the subject at hand : CRYSTAL DYNAMICS FOR THE WIN !!
I wish them the best of luck.

I still remember fondly the first Tomb Raider game and Lara stating she needed to change out of her wet clothes. I literally raced back into the room my cousin was playing the game in only to see it fade to black. But I've grown past such... immature things.

(Not really, now you've got me wondering if there is a proper nude mod floating about dammit! Curse you Escapist poster!)

Still not a fan of the reboot's obsession with beating the shit out of the character and brutalizing her at every opportunity, but good on them for making a profit. I'm just hoping this means the sequel won't be so relentingly grim, and we can go back to a more confident lara fighting dinosaurs.

You know, I'm beginning to think that publishers' chronically unrealistic expectations must be the result of more than just their greed. People are greedy in all industries...are the people who pitch the video game ideas to the publishers projecting unrealistic sales targets? The CEO of Activision or SQenix doesn't do cash flow forecasts himself...someone is feeding these executives unrealistic expectations.

Soviet Heavy:
Still not a fan of the reboot's obsession with beating the shit out of the character and brutalizing her at every opportunity, but good on them for making a profit. I'm just hoping this means the sequel won't be so relentingly grim, and we can go back to a more confident lara fighting dinosaurs.

I just hope she develops more of a personality in the sequel instead of just being "someone who reacts to problems."

Jandau:

You do realize that it was recently re-released for the PS4 and Xbone?

The numbers are so high because they were essentially double-dipping.

dyre:
You know, I'm beginning to think that publishers' chronically unrealistic expectations must be the result of more than just their greed. People are greedy in all industries...are the people who pitch the video game ideas to the publishers projecting unrealistic sales targets? The CEO of Activision or SQenix doesn't do cash flow forecasts himself...someone is feeding these executives unrealistic expectations.

Makes me think the problem is probably in the CFO's office for this particular issue. If the company is repeatedly off-base with financial predictions regarding several multimillion dollar projects, why does he and his reports have a job?

edit- this mess is still a symptom of a bigger problem. The Japan mobile market hasn't crashed and been taken over by one app at a time like in the US, making the US console/PC market important to understand. Squeenix has repeatedly decided to not make that effort, relying on its underperforming mobile and failing Japan console markets to dictate decisions. That can't go on, eventually they'll run out of IPs to reboot bought from bankrupt companies.

Jandau:

That actually isn't very common. The overwhelming majority of sales do come within the first month of sale.

MCerberus:

dyre:

Makes me think the problem is probably in the CFO's office for this particular issue. If the company is repeatedly off-base with financial predictions regarding several multimillion dollar projects, why does he and his reports have a job?

Yeah, I agree that broadly speaking it's the CFO who is to blame, but at the end of the day I don't think the problem can be reduced to simply an incompetent CFO...CFO himself isn't the one who compiles the reports and projections either (he just green-lights them). Something must be seriously wrong with the way they do their forecasting. Obviously it's difficult to project demand for video games because it's not as simple as using past sales or making assumptions based on genre or even developer, but I get the feeling that somewhere along the line someone has a vested interest in overhyping the sales and no one in the company is willing to step up and rock the boat by saying "actually, I'm not sure if this game can really make 5 million sales..."

edit: you might be right; another possibility is that SQEnix is misapplying mobile trends to PC sales projections or something like that.

I'm surprised the game is still being bought by that many people this far out. Does it have to do with the "Ultimate Edition" that was released recently? It was released already, right?
I picked the game up on day one and loved it. Glad that they're going to keep the series going, but please take the multiplayer out. That has no business in a Tomb Raider game. And perhaps make the tombs a bit more challenging. Not super hard and annoying like Underworld (that was the last one, right?), but perhaps a bit more thought required.

Jandau:

I kind of get where they're coming from, though. Movies have a lot of secondary markets. If the film doesn't do well in theatres, there's still DVD/Blu-ray, downloads, streaming, in-flight movies, TV rights, merchandising, etc. AAA games can cost as much as a Hollywood movie, take years to make, and can really only make money from primary unit sales. If the studio's execs--who in almost every case except Valve are accountable to shareholders who don't necessarily understand the business--don't see immediate returns on their massive investment, they get really nervous.

I don't disagree with you, but I think the industry has to stop thinking every game could achieve GTA or COD sales, and thus requires a GTA/COD level budget, and lower expectations accordingly. Both for themselves and the customers.

otakon17:

AstaresPanda:

Yeah, I remember a certain Jimquisition episode discussing how Tomb Raider when it first came out was an "abject failure" in the eyes of the company even though it sold a tidy 2 million plus. Now they give it a few tweaks, probably at minimal cost I might add, and re-release it and suddenly it's selling like hotcakes and they're happy again.

marioandsonic:

Trishbot:

I'll take "Nuttier than a Payday" for $1000 Alex.

they are nuttier than a giant nut made of nuts, being hold together by peanut butter..

anyways, bring back the tombs in tomb raider!

It's a great game, and I love it, but I don't really trust the numbers. They gave it away in the Square Enix Christmas mystery box and it's currently a free purchase on PSN+ in Europe(don't know about USA). I own two copies because of it and I assume all of those count. As well as that they also made it dirt cheap a long time ago... So of course they'll have sold a shitload!

Well, good for them I guess. Hope the sequel will be great too. Won't buy it though since the odds tell me I'll get at least one copy for free eventually. >:D

Sniper Team 4:
I'm surprised the game is still being bought by that many people this far out. Does it have to do with the "Ultimate Edition" that was released recently? It was released already, right?
I picked the game up on day one and loved it. Glad that they're going to keep the series going, but please take the multiplayer out. That has no business in a Tomb Raider game. And perhaps make the tombs a bit more challenging. Not super hard and annoying like Underworld (that was the last one, right?), but perhaps a bit more thought required.

Underworld's levels were far easier that previous entries in the series. I like the Reboot as a whole, it's a good,fun game, but it isn't a particularly interesting Tomb Raider game since the "tombs" are dead easy and tiny. They managed to make combat engaging, now they should try and do that with larger, much more difficult environmental challenges. At least, that's my take on the game.

So SE was full of crap. Not surprising.

Actually the reason why publishers focus on the initial sales is because it is harder to bank on long-term returns. So to them the amount of units sold on Day 1, Week 1 and Month 1, in that order, is the most important because it recoups the initial investment for making the game in the first place. So if a game sells 500.000 units in a single day, they get better projections as to how many could be selling in a week or a month or a year.

Course that all loops back on failure to properly budget because publishers arent interested in recouping their investment, they want to make mad bank. If a game merely recoups its budget, lets say 20 million, it isnt good enough because the game failed to make profit, to them it is only successful if it gets 21 million or more because thats 1 million in profit right there.

So it makes sense why Square Enix called the reboot a failure in that sense cause..well it didnt make mad profits right away, which is why the industry is in such a shitty state.

Good. It should be doing well, I thought it was an amazing reboot and an amazing game itself as well. Really fun, really adventurous. I'm playing through it for the 3rd time now, still awesome.

marioandsonic:

Trishbot:

Final Fantasy is gold to them. They refuse to believe that something could have gone wrong with the saving grace of the damn company.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here