The Smartwatch Concept We Desperately Want to be Real

The Smartwatch Concept We Desperately Want to be Real

Finally, a smartwatch that doesn't look like a smartwatch.

Triwa Havana Concept Smartwatch 2 310x

The Verge recently sat down with Gábor Balogh, a Hungarian freelance designer who recently re-imagined the still-young smartwatch segment. His concept is based on the Triwa Havana unisex watch, albeit with some heavy modifications.

While only a mockup, the concept leaves the design of the timepiece largely untouched, keeping the leather strap and housing, while replacing the watch face with, naturally, an LCD display. While most smartwatches on sale (your Pebbles and Galaxy Gear options) use square faces, the Havana has a round face, adding to the style and against the grain design.

The round face maintains the watch illusion, keeping the tech within under wraps until it's needed. "I like products with discreet technology," explains Balogh, "when they serve me, my real needs, and make my life easier rather than simply changing my days."

I'm no smartwatch hater. I'll probably own a Pebble or Galaxy Gear before Summer starts, but I'm also a fan of simple, tasteful watches. Combining both, as Balogh has done, would be a must-buy gadget for me.

So, what happens after you "pick up" the incoming call? I imagine you'd look slightly out of place holding your watch up to your ear and shouting "Hello? HELLO?!" into it while on public transport.

...Actually, you might not look all that weird on the London Underground.

Its other features are interesting, though.

By the looks of that concept design, I'd say it's more of an accessory to a smart phone then a smart phone replacement.

Am I the only one seeing this device as a possible HUD/interface replacement for an open-world sandbox game?

I only ever really liked one wristwatch. It was a digital timepiece set atop a butane cigarette lighter. I was a smoker through most of my youth, and my dad found them at a novelty shop when I was 19. So I wore it through most of my time at college.

I'd often have people ask for a light, then I'd present my watch. They'd always... ALWAYS... say "no, I need a light" upon which I'd hit the button and set it alight. It was great fun. And it gave me ample opportunity to say "GO GO GADGET" in my everyday life, which is a huge plus.

Here's a YouTube video of a similar timepiece that I found. It's not the same one I had, but it will give you the basic idea.

I always wear a digital watch so you'd think I would be the perfect target audience for this product, but somehow I can't see myself ever using one over a smartphone. At least not until comfortable keyboard gloves become an affordable commodity.

Barbas:
So, what happens after you "pick up" the incoming call? I imagine you'd look slightly out of place holding your watch up to your ear and shouting "Hello? HELLO?!" into it while on public transport.

Use a wireless headset.

Barbas:

I've always envisaged the use of smart watches to be when you have phone+watch+handsfree kit. The phone handling the processing and reception, the hands free kit to handle the audio and the smart watch as the quick interface for controlling it all when you don't want to keep fishing the phone itself out your pocket.

Alpha Maeko:
By the looks of that concept design, I'd say it's more of an accessory to a smart phone then a smart phone replacement.

I hope I'm not mistaken, but I've never thought smart watches were supposed to replace your phone, they were there to prevent you constanly pulling your phone out of your pocket every time it beeps by showing who is trying to contact you.

Eldritch Warlord:
I always wear a digital watch so you'd think I would be the perfect target audience for this product, but somehow I can't see myself ever using one over a smartphone. At least not until comfortable keyboard gloves become an affordable commodity.

Barbas:

Use a wireless headset.

It is somewhat embarrassing that I did not think of that myself.

I'll wait for real "smart watches". Devices that are independent and separate from a smart phone. Just because a device can receive streamed information doesn't make them "smart".

As a watch it looks better than most although the limited screen size makes it redundant for all but the most basic functions, even then being able to adjust the settings like alert profiles and changing playlists without having to take your phone out is nice enough though. Going into somewhere where audio alerts are inappropriate? No more fumbling with your phone for example, reading through the article though it makes no mention of one the crippling problems with smartwatches at all.

Batteries on them are bad enough, what capacity battery will this have? Existing smartwatches don't even give you a days worth of use unless you are a really light user, its easy enough to forget about charging them up.

Barbas:

Bluetooth device.

OT: So, in the name of Get Smart, Dick Tracy, Knight Rider, and countless other traditions of the talkie-watch communicator device, we bring you this working concept? About time!

To quote myself from a previous thread:

UNHchabo:
I'd go for a regular watch that *also* gave me the information available on my phone's home screen: who's calling, maybe the first couple words of any new text, that sort of thing.

Imagine this watch, but if it displayed that info in the monochrome LCD:

This watch would make it so I wouldn't have to take my phone out of my pocket unless I wanted to actually answer it. If I'm talking with Alice in-person, but waiting for a call from Bob, when my phone in my pocket vibrates I could just look at my watch to see if it's actually Bob calling, or someone else.

So, finally a smartwatch that actually looks better than most real watches? I want.

Barbas:

Only as weird as picking a small suare block out of yourp ocket and doing exactly the same. your still holding electric device to your ear.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here