Microsoft Windows 8.1 Update 1 Files Hit the Web Early

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Update 1 Files Hit the Web Early

Newbies should tread lightly.

Windows 8.1 Start Screen

Windows 8.1 Update 1, the first major update for Microsoft's latest operating system, has no official release date, but that hasn't stopped the curious from finding the files in the Windows Update database.

The insatiable folks over on the My Digital Life Forums dug up the files, which must be downloaded in a specific order. There are links aplenty in the post, as the update is available for x86, x64, and ARM devices.

These files are legitimate, based on the URLs, but Windows novices should take pause before jumping in. You need to download and install the files in a specific order, or you risk breaking your Windows 8.1 install. If you take the plunge, let us know how it goes in the forums.

Update 1 is all about desktop tweaks and optimizations. Non-touchscreen users will be happy to see the addition of Power and Search buttons on the Start screen, among other UI tweaks. The Update will also lower the system requirements for Windows 8 (ZDNet says only 1 GB of RAM will be required), which should help the OS get on cheaper, low-horsepower devices.

Again, there's no official release date, but the same ZDNet post says April 8th is the rumored release to consumer target. MSDN TechNet subscribers will likely get the update a week or so before.

It's taken them this long to add a power button....

You go Microsoft.

I wish they would just jump to Windows 9 already.

Johnson McGee:

I don't, because I'm afraid of what hairbrained idea they'll come up with next for their "ONE system Universe" runaway vehicle......that keeps swerving around on the road like its drunk..... 7 was good, 8 was bad in a lot of ways even if it's "Faster"......what I'm curious about is if 9 is the one that breaks the pattern.

Slegiar Dryke:

Johnson McGee:

I don't, because I'm afraid of what hairbrained idea they'll come up with next for their "ONE system Universe" runaway vehicle......that keeps swerving around on the road like its drunk..... 7 was good, 8 was bad in a lot of ways even if it's "Faster"......what I'm curious about is if 9 is the one that breaks the pattern.

No no, it'll be Windows BD, or Baker's Dozen. Nine will probably be okay.

As long as this update allows me to actually install 8.1 rather than just failing every time I try then I'll be happy.

A power button on the home screen? Microsoft, you are a bunch rebellious devils. Seriously though, it's so counter intuitive to have swipe your finger right to left on the edge of a laptop touchpad, then click on "Settings" button and finally get a menu of shutdown options. It's doable after remembering it, but after switching often between OS X, Win 7, and Linux where the option is in plain view, I forget how to shut down and restart my sisters laptop when working on it.

I just thought of a horrifying yet plausible theory; Is MS trying to hold back useful updates to fix Win 8's reputation so people will buy Win 9 as soon as MS shows off how it's been optimized for non-touch desktops, non-touch laptops, and tablets depending on an easy to change setting.(New Coke rings a bell here.) It's seems like their efforts are to make the even numbered releases things to be avoided, like the opposite of the Star Trek movies. If Win 9 breaks the pattern and doesn't redeem Windows, I'd recommend buying stock in Apple and tablet makers and learning different Linux distros.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here