HP Launches New Eight-Inch Budget Android Tablet

HP Launches New Eight-Inch Budget Android Tablet

$170 gets you a Tegra 3-equipped Android slate.

HP 8 Android Tablet

HP has quietly revealed a new budget Android tablet today, hoping to get in on a segment dominated by the Kindle Fire HDX and Nexus 7.

The $170 HP 8 is an eight-inch (or 7.85-inch, more specifically) Android tablet, and the low cost is due to low-power hardware. The display is a 1024x768 IPS LCD -- a step below the HD-or-better panels found in Amazon and Google tablets -- and the hardware is decidedly average for 2014. An Allwinner Quad-Core A31s processor, 1 GB of RAM, 16 GB of storage, 2 MP rear camera, and 0.3 MP front shooter round out the specs.

USB (charging), audio out, and a microSD card slot complete the I/O trio, and Android 4.2.2 is on-board, too. HP says the included 3,700 mAh battery is good for seven hours of life, although it's unclear if that's video-heavy time or not. Physical specs: 200.3 x 136.3 x 7.95 mm, with a weight of 0.69 pounds.

The HP 8 lacks in horsepower, yes, but the price is right for what you're buying. Both the Kindle Fire HDX and Nexus 7 (2013 Edition) start at $229.99, leaving $60 in your pocket. And the quad-core chip should handle HD video and Android gaming without breaking a sweat.

If you want to go even cheaper, the Tegra 3-based HP Slate7 Plus is still available for $149.99.

I cannot see why someone would buy this over a 2012 nexus 7. They're practically giving those things away these days.

I know for sure anyone in the market for a new tablet who wants to use it for more than solely internet browsing will want to go higher than a Tegra 3 on a tablet. Even then mobile sites are starting to have more assets on screen that needs more horses under the hood.

I can't find benchmarks for the A31s alone yet, but I can say that the Snapdragons in the new Nexus 7 are straight up beasts compared to the one tablet if found loaded with a A31s, the MSI Primo81. The Slate 7 plus sounds like a better deal since it ranked higher than the MSI Primo in CPU and Graphics. Just grab a 8-32GB SD for $5-$15 online if you want more than 8GBs of storage. I doubt the Primo has a major bottleneck, so this A31s sounds like a real budget cpu if the aging Tegra 3 can best it.

Oh boy, another tablet; real shocker tech sector.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here