GLaDOS and The Sniper Join Up To Support GaymerX2

Pages PREV 1 2

Silvanus:

I wrote out a response, but posting it would continue this argument in a thread which doesn't deserve it.

This is not the place to post about how non-acceptance of LGBT people is all fine and good. If there should be one thread without that kind of thing, this should be it.

"how non-acceptance of LGBT people is all fine and good"

You can try to "re-frame"[1] it however you like, but I wasn't talking about "non-acceptance"(i.e. telling LGBT they can't play video games), I was talking about how tolerance isn't equivalent to acceptance. If you look at what I have said in this thread, you'll notice that not once did I ever state that their shouldn't be tolerance to LGBT people.

Bara_no_Hime:

inb4 thread descends into arguments about whether or not gay gamers deserve a convention

er... well, at least I'm on page 1 before things get really bad. **sigh**

Absolutely, because any form of a dissenting opinion should be considered "descend[ing] into [an] argument"! How horrible that there might be conversation and that not everybody agrees to fall in line and conform! It's almost as if these people with different opinions were individual human beings!*

*FYI, that's all sarcasm.

[1] I know you mean well, so I'm not going to accuse you of strawmaning.

Helmholtz Watson:
"how non-acceptance of LGBT people is all fine and good." You can try to re-frame it however you like, but I wasn't talking about "non-acceptance"(ie telling LGBT they can't play video games), I was talking about how tolerance isn't equivalent to acceptance. Its really not that hard to grasp.

I wasn't trying to re-frame anything, I was just trying to end it. This isn't the thread for this. This is just meant to be talking about something positive.

Silvanus:

Helmholtz Watson:
"how non-acceptance of LGBT people is all fine and good." You can try to re-frame it however you like, but I wasn't talking about "non-acceptance"(ie telling LGBT they can't play video games), I was talking about how tolerance isn't equivalent to acceptance. Its really not that hard to grasp.

I wasn't trying to re-frame anything, I was just trying to end it. This isn't the thread for this. This is just meant to be talking about something positive.

I just edited that post, so please take a look at it.

Now then...

It becomes part of the thread when I'm told that these conventions are needed because of non-video game related issues and how its now the responsibility of video games to create "safe places". The idea that video games should be the answer for issues in places like Uganda is such a bizarre concept, that it begs the question, "why exactly should video games of all things be the place to create "safe places" for people who face discrimination in places like Uganda?". Surely you can understand why it might seem weird to see people claim that video games should be responsible for non-video game related issues, and that giving video games that responsibility for "safe places" comes off as confusing to some of us?

JazzJack2:
I don't think it's about whether they deserve it or not,

The purpose of GaymerX2 Con has been well explained and defended elsewhere, so I won't get into it (even though you did). I will say, however, that my use of the word "deserve" intentional and meant to be read with a great deal of annoyance and directed sarcasm.

Or, to quote the Simpsons, "That was the Joke."

Andy Chalk:

AidoZonkey:
THEY'RE HUSBAND AND WIFE?!!!!

Yup. They worked on the Half-Life 2 games as well. She's obviously the higher-profile of the two thanks to her work as GLaDOS, but he's provided voices for quite a few more games and appears in Left 4 Dead.

He plays quite a few characters in Dota 2.

In fact, at the beginning of the embedded video, it sounds like he's doing a combination of his Pudge and Tusk voices.

I half expected him to make some quip along the lines of, "Homophobia has fallen to the Dire!" or some such thing.

Helmholtz Watson:
I just edited that post, so please take a look at it.

Now then...

It becomes part of the thread when I'm told that these conventions are needed because of non-video game related issues and how its now the responsibility of video games to create "safe places". The idea that video games should be the answer for issues in places like Uganda is such a bizarre concept, that it begs the question, "why exactly should video games of all things be the place to create "safe places" for people who face discrimination in places like Uganda?". Surely you can understand why it might seem weird to see people claim that video games should be responsible for non-video game related issues, and that giving video games that responsibility for "safe places" comes off as confusing to some of us?

Nobody mentioned Uganda here, though.

When people talk about "safe places", they simply mean areas (such as conventions) where people who often face disproportionate negative attention can congregate without having to go through that. They may be related to common interests, etc. I don't see why they shouldn't exist around video-games, if the interest is there, which it clearly is.

It's not that video games are being made "responsible for non-video game related issues". It's simply a convention for people who may face negative attention elsewhere.

I'm glad you know misrepresentation wasn't my intention. I'm genuinely just asking if we can just keep this thread focused on the positive news of the OP.

Silvanus:

Nobody mentioned Uganda here, though.

Your taking my post too literal, I was referring to what Seydaman had said about gay couples being murdered and how she thought those crimes are somehow relevant to video games and gamers.

Silvanus:

When people talk about "safe places", they simply mean areas (such as conventions) where people who often face disproportionate negative attention can congregate without having to go through that. They may be related to common interests, etc. I don't see why they shouldn't exist around video-games, if the interest is there, which it clearly is.

It's not that video games are being made "responsible for non-video game related issues". It's simply a convention for people who may face negative attention elsewhere.

I'm glad you know misrepresentation wasn't my intention. I'm genuinely just asking if we can just keep this thread focused on the positive news of the OP.

Fair enough, I'll stop.

Yeah... as a straight white guy, I don't even want to get into the question of the conference being "necessary" or not. I wish it WASN'T necessary, but then I also wish that two beautiful young Nordic maidens in bikinis would take me to their log cabin, lay me down on an animal-hide rug and massage my manly chest hair, while hand-feeding me melon cubes and reciting Chekhov's two-man one-act play "The Bear". (Don't ask.) The moral being, you can't always get what you want.

On a positive note though, these two actors seem like really nice people and great ambassadors for the community. This was a great thing to do.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here