"Anita Sarkeesian Stole my Artwork" Claims Blogger

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Dragonbums:

On that note her videos are non profit. You don't have to pay to see it. And nobody pays her to make videos. It's the reason why backing games on kickstarter doesn't automatically mean you get the game for free. Broken Age is a for profit kickstarter. They got the money for the game, and you cannot play it unless you paid the upper $35.00 tier or you buy it off steam/Gog/ wherever you can buy their games.

As I've said earlier Anita is like Jimquisition. They both make videos on their own free time with no money flowing in as payment. Yes they both probably get a lot of ad revenue. But that is like the equivalent of us hitting the donate button. They aren't charging us to see their content. The website they are hosted on aren't charging us to view their content, and nobody is paying them to make specific videos. Jim makes whatever video he feels is relevant of the week.

Anita I believe had a list on her Kickstarter that marked down which topics she was going to discuss.

Although I'm too lazy to check whether Anita/Jim count as for/not profit organizations, that definition you're using isn't necessarily correct.

Not for profits are allowed to generate revenue greater than their operating costs, but that profit must be used in the self preservation of the organization itself - and must not be distributed to any shareholders. To use your example, if Jimquisition was a not for profit organization, then Jim would be able to pay himself a reasonable (important word!) salary in exchange for the services he provides to the organization and pay reasonable (!) expenses, but all other money would need to be used for making more/superior videos.

Simply stating that all income comes from donations does not make an organization not for profit, unless they are able to achieve charity status - which requires approval from whatever north american revenue service you have to use. Usually in order to be defined charity you have to provide some benefit to humanity (education/research/religious council/ect). They may have a case under education, but since not for profits don't pay income tax, you can imagine how high of a standard there is to qualify.

The reason I highlighted the word reasonable is because whenever you see that in a legal definition you should hear General Akbar screaming in your ear. Reasonable drives a lot of court costs, and whenever somebody gets called on something a large amount of time is spent proving if something was reasonable or not. Typically 'reasonable salary' is based on the average wage for a person doing what you do, but may be higher or lower based on cost of living and other factors. The full timeline of decisions used to determine 'reasonable' must be documented in case you go to court and the compensation must be approved by a person in the organization without any conflicts of interest. Some of these are more lax for less than a million/year organizations, but they all exist to one extent or another.

I guess the gist of my vibe is that Jim or Anita may or may not have managed to qualify as not for profits (there are other requirements that exist but I don't wanna go into all of them), but it is typically made difficult to do so, and simply having what we might call a 'non traditional' income does not automatically qualify you.

Jesus, I think Anita isn't necessarily doing anything illegal (and that's up for debate) but I definitely think it's a dick move. And the snark from her manager really doesn't help the situation. I think a simple sorry would suffice and Christ would it be that hard to just take it out and replace it? Honestly, if the artist doesn't want it associated with Anita's videos then the nice thing would be to get rid of it or at least an apology. And to the person mentioning the Orson Wells case, its an example of why I kinda hate our common law system. Also, why didn't she just cite it?

Gindil:
What is happening with this specifically is that if she isn't citing the Let's Plays, she's trying to pass these videos off as her own. She actually claims that she is doing that with a $179 game recorder based on her "rig" but everyone knows that she ripped off the cubex55 Let's Plays among other Youtubers.

She may have claimed she was recording game footage with her game recorder, but I don't see anywhere where she pointed to cubex55's footage and claimed she specifically filmed that footage herself.

It's all well and good claiming that giving credit is all important in academia, but academia historically hasn't had to deal with the bibliographic implications of let's players. Personally, I still think at least referencing them would have been the classy thing to do, but I doubt she is breaking any code (academic or legal).

She actually is being extremely unethical. Plagiarization is a serious offense and it's looked as such in the academic world where your reputation is a lot more important.

You didn't actually argue against my point. What is the academic standard for crediting let's plays? She did credit and reference the games themselves, but is she required by any academic standard to reference the means by which the games were filmed? No? Then it isn't a case of academic plagiarism, it's just a case of someone not showing courtesy to the people who create the footage.

I checked the list of California non-profits. She's not on it. Further, checking with the corporate list, I found that Feminist Frequency is enlisted as a non-stock corporation. While she doesn't have to be a non-profit organization, it diminishes her Fair Use claim in court and her behavior in claiming Fair Use when she's done so many other questionable things from Anita make this a highly suspect claim.

I looked at this link - it says "non-stock (non-profit)".
http://www.wysk.com/index/california/walnut/mt8qeb8/feminist-frequency/profile

The Lunatic:

KisaiTenshi:
Stuff

Wow, this is like a list of the worst possible purchases imaginable.

Did she buy a bunch of these as well?

Man, I'd be pissed if I had kick-started this, what an absolute waste of money.

She does know these videos are being uploaded to youtube, right?

They're being uploaded to Youtube. 38 people get a DVD and 13 people get a DVD of everything she put up previously as well.

From a technical perspective, and this is more of my specialty interest, the equipment Anita has is capable of producing news/documentary style footage, but isn't quite what you want for filmography. The cameras themselves are DSLR's not Camcorders. Professional film studios actually use anything from 10000$ DSLR to 500,000$ for an IMAX type of camera, and that doesn't include media or filmstock. Most of the cost is in the lens and not so much the technology used itself. This comes from the need to pan and zoom without vignetting. For news/documentary you're always within 20' of the camera, so short lens systems are fine.

In comparison, the Nostalgia critic uses two Sony-HDR-CX560V's (about 800$ each) and no sound mixing equipment. His counterpart, Nostalgia Chick is actually a film student and uses a Sony HVR-Z5U which costs 4450$. This is the same kind of camera used on broadcast shows. The last set to compare to is Loading Ready Run http://wiki.loadingreadyrun.com/Equipment , which are 1400$ Canon D60 DSLR and Sony HDR-FX1 (roughly 4000-6000$ and was released in 2004)

When you use a DSLR you need to capture and mix audio separately, as DSLR's are not camcorders, and certainly aren't three-chip CCD camcorders like the camera's used by Nostalgia Chick and LRR. The Camcorders used by NChick/LRR have XLR inputs for external microphones. The DSLR cameras on the other hand have a single mono microphone 3.5mm jack. A moot point for documentary and news style capture, but still worth pointing out why you never use the built-in microphones. The built in microphones are typically omni-directional microphones that pick up the noise of the camera, the AF lens whine, tape movement (on tape models) and zoom lens movement.

Moving on to the game capture question. Assuming she has the console and the game. The device she has is only good for the Xbox 360, and pretty much only for streaming. Most "game" capturing devices only capture 1080i and stereo max. Actual professional grade capture hardware supports capturing anything thrown at it. Most PVR type devices will introduce delays in the capture, making it difficult to actually play and capture. For example if you use the analog-inputs of the camcorders mentioned above, you add like 200ms of latency. This is why I say "only good for streaming" because you're not caring about the quality, just the latency. For documentary purposes you want to preserve as much as the original quality as possible because it's always lossy capture. Garbage in, garbage out.

Anyway, I'm going to step off this soapbox. IMO the average person doing any kind of documentary or news work featuring games, needs more than just consumer hardware. When you're dealing with film/tv sources you can just rip the source video and use the piece you need. Players doing Let's Plays and Speedruns with narration on the actual hardware need another 500$ in capture hardware, and if they are capturing from the PC, they need a second PC. This isn't what most people have. Most people just make do with what they have. As such many narrated LP's are horrible to watch and listen to.

Captcha: My sources say no

I think people are overthinking the entire situation here. It should be no surprise that Anita is a piece of work and is behaving unethically, that was clear from pretty much the first day she broadcast. Indeed the whole reason why she became "internet famous" is because she's a troublemaker, who has no truly legitimate points, makes her illegitimate points using the words and material of other people, and fundamentally does whatever is going to get her the most attention, biggest platform, and most exposure at any given moment. This is why she was attacked when she tried to collect money, and so many people were so outrageously vehement about it (she brings out the worst in people... it's a talent of a sort), and why it got so much worse when the ignorant jumped in to defend her, and wound up turning her
into an even bigger deal.

To be honest most of the stuff she actually does is so petty that most courts wouldn't waste their time, and pursueing action against her wouldn't be worth the time, effort, and potential expense for the overall outcome. For example if the author of this picture of "Delightful Daphne" actually managed to win against her in court, it would accomplish pretty much nada. Ditto if someone else went against her and won a minor victory against her screen caps. About the only major "crime" she might have committed was with her kick starter and the allegation that the money was collected for a specific purpose and never used for that purpose given that the quality of her videos didn't exactly change much pre and post Kickstarter (as many people have pointed out) she more or less just continued what she was doing anyway, but with a bunch of cash in her pocket. Of course someone actually bringing these charges and succeeding is unlikely, you'd probably need to rally a lot of people who donated to make complaints (and most of those people are vehement supporters) and then have those people come up with the money to hire a lawyer, which will take a much grater investment of money than what they put into the kickstarter, and then not being able to get back that money if they happen to lose.

At this point arguments about legality are more or less academic, since legal action isn't practical. Short of violence she's not someone that can really be dealt with, and to be fair she hasn't exactly done anything besides be obnoxious and that doesn't warrant actual attacks on her person. The damage she's doing is minimal since her crowd seems to have largely peaked, and a strong opposition has remained present, following her around to debunk everything she does. I'd like to see her go away... but really, that isn't likely to happen, as nice as the idea of her discussing feminism in some women's prison sounds.

Steven Bogos:
Blogger "Tammy" from CowKitty.net

It's artist Tammy, and CowKitty is her website.

She's a girl (a grown-up woman, an actual gamer and freelance game artist) and, somehow, she absolutely loves this supposedly oh-so horrible damsel-in-distress character.

The same character that Anita "I'm a lifelong gamer...I don't play video games" Sarkeesian and her boyfriend claim opresses the real-world females so much and keeps them down and away from games, and also causes domestic violence against otherwise strong and independent women.

Speaking of this, and her boyfriend-manager-producer-writer-artist-director (Sarkeesian is just his mouthpiece and poster girl to be cast in the damsel-in-distress role for profit): https://mobile.twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/441792844366245888?screen_name=radicalbytes

And in case if you wondered, he also believes exactly the same thing as Jack Thompson does (that games are making people violent - and you know, shooting people in video games is "just gross", as Sarkeesian said): https://mobile.twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/439953194861359105?screen_name=radicalbytes

Therumancer:
The damage she's doing is minimal since her crowd seems to have largely peaked, and a strong opposition has remained present, following her around to debunk everything she does. I'd like to see her go away... but really, that isn't likely to happen, as nice as the idea of her discussing feminism in some women's prison sounds.

For nearly 2 years, a multitude of media outlets, including non-game and mainstream media (such as The New York Times, The Guardian, Forbes, The Atlantic, Wired, various television stations, and many more) pushed her claims about games as an unchallenged truth to millions of people worldwide. EA hired her to 'coach' their devs. Now, she has also became GDC 2014's official "gaming ambassador".

Nobody really ever debunked her except of various forum goers and non-pro bloggers. For all the real media, and video game industry at large, she's still a flawless saint and martyr sent down from the heavens to save us from ourselves. He (Jonathan McIntosh) isn't going nowhere, he's there to stay until somehow the media wake up to his bullshit and they're exposed by some real journalist doing his/her work for a change.

http://themalesofgames.blogspot.com/2013/11/frostsarkeesian.html was about it, I think it was before we learnt about McIntosh's role in the scam.

So the entire point of Nixon agreeing to an interview with Frost is because his reputation was damaged and he wanted to restore it. That, if anything, shines a light on why Anita has never had to face her own critics; how many mainstream gaming websites have mentioned that Anita has any flaws that need to be addressed at all? Beyond phrases such as "the Tropes Vs Women in Games series isn't perfect but ... [insert reference to Anita's abuse here]", I can't think of any mention of the issues off the top of my head. Nixon damaged his reputation and needed to do something to repair it. Anita, on the other hand, is not portrayed as a disreputable individual. Her career hasn't suffered any setbacks whatsoever from the cherry-picked and one-sided arguments she presents, the comment-blocking and removing dissenting opinions on Facebook and the use of content that isn't hers without asking permission, referencing or crediting the original uploaders.

Basically, by closing off every avenue available to help Nixon achieve his goal, he was given an incentive to go down a path he would prefer not to; talking about Watergate. Anita has every avenue open to her and is encouraged to go down every single one, so she has no incentive to face the critics. She doesn't have a David Frost she needs to go face-to-face with.

Dragonbums:
That question has been answered a billion times already. She made the kickstarter to make more videos, and sure enough she made more videos

Sure enough, "she" (McIntosh) didn't.

Dragonbums:
what more can you possibly do with that much money?

For example: go and interview all kinds of people (such as designers of the characters she alleges are 'harmful' to women in real world, and developers and producers of these games they're in). That's including flying to Europe and Japan.

Or just actually simply delivering their stupid YouTube vlogs at the self-imposed deadline of "Dec. 2012".

Dragonbums:
The bottom line is she asked for $6k and her supporters gave her a fuckton more than that. That is not her being a scam artist in the slightest. If her supporters really only wanted to give the money she asked they would've of stopped at $6k. They didn't. They kept going until they hit the $100k part. And she delivered what she promised. She asked for money to make videos, her fans got videos. That is the end of the contractual deal.

And she broke this deal, as the videos are still not delivered.

Dragonbums:
On that note her videos are non profit. You don't have to pay to see it. And nobody pays her

Guess what: she now asks her retarded followers to give her ever more money to keep the YouTube videos "ads-free". Despite the fact that YT hosting is free and costs nothing, and they got so much money already. And despite the claims of 'non-profit'. But Sarkeesian and McIntosh are just too greedy and never have enough.

"Help Support My Work
Support my web series! All contributions help sustain Feminist Frequency projects and keep all videos advertisement free."

One can only guess how much of 'non-profit' they got from this source, since at least 2012. Also, this whole idea of pre-paid (and made using brazingly stolen material) 'non'-profit' videos with ads. They are so shameless it's just incredible and disgusting they're getting away with it all so easy just because she's posed herself as a damsel in distress.

"Even a small drop of water can cause a big ripple against the corporate media nation for $5 a month. Set up a regular monthly donation using PayPal. Click the button below to get started."

"Forged in the heat of battle to fight the patriarchal media gods for $10 a month. Set up a regular monthly donation using PayPal. Click the button below to get started."

"Fight the forces of media darkness with a $15 a month donation. Set up a regular monthly donation using PayPal. Click the button below to get started."

"Traverse time and space in the search for feminist media with a $25 a month donation. Set up a regular monthly donation using PayPal. Click the button below to get started."

I guess Tammy's CowKitty is one of them evil patriarchical media corporations forces of darkness (others include Lego and Nintendo) the hero feminist martyr Sarkeesian is rippling against so you don't have to.

The list of monthly donors: http://www.feministfrequency.com/donate/donors/ Currently, them alone are paying Sarkeesian and McIn up to 2,650 dollars each month to "keep all videos advertisement free."

This shouldn't even be up for debate. If you want to use an artist's work in your whatever, whether it's non-profit or not, you ask them beforehand or just stick their name in the credits. It's the nice, decent thing to do, especially since the rights of artists are worth less than dirt on the internet.

That's it, it is literally something you can fix in five seconds, and if the people behind Anita's show just did that, this wouldn't even be an issue that lasted for more than a few days. It's just pure fucking laziness on their part, and there's no excuse for it.

EvilRoy:

Not for profits are allowed to generate revenue greater than their operating costs, but that profit must be used in the self preservation of the organization itself - and must not be distributed to any shareholders. To use your example, if Jimquisition was a not for profit organization, then Jim would be able to pay himself a reasonable (important word!) salary in exchange for the services he provides to the organization and pay reasonable (!) expenses, but all other money would need to be used for making more/superior videos.

Simply stating that all income comes from donations does not make an organization not for profit, unless they are able to achieve charity status - which requires approval from whatever north american revenue service you have to use. Usually in order to be defined charity you have to provide some benefit to humanity (education/research/religious council/ect). They may have a case under education, but since not for profits don't pay income tax, you can imagine how high of a standard there is to qualify.

The reason I highlighted the word reasonable is because whenever you see that in a legal definition you should hear General Akbar screaming in your ear. Reasonable drives a lot of court costs, and whenever somebody gets called on something a large amount of time is spent proving if something was reasonable or not. Typically 'reasonable salary' is based on the average wage for a person doing what you do, but may be higher or lower based on cost of living and other factors. The full timeline of decisions used to determine 'reasonable' must be documented in case you go to court and the compensation must be approved by a person in the organization without any conflicts of interest. Some of these are more lax for less than a million/year organizations, but they all exist to one extent or another.

I guess the gist of my vibe is that Jim or Anita may or may not have managed to qualify as not for profits (there are other requirements that exist but I don't wanna go into all of them), but it is typically made difficult to do so, and simply having what we might call a 'non traditional' income does not automatically qualify you.

Thanks for going more in depth with that.

I can see where reasonable might be highly subjective. I can see Jim being a nonprofit in a sense. He doesn't do this as his bread and butter afterall. He does do game reviews (actually does he do game reviews? I haven't seen an article from him about games since Destructoid). Anita however I'm not so sure. I'm sure she is non profit, but we don't know much outside of her Feminist Frequency videos. However it's possible that she has a day job to keep the money flowing in.

But neither of us really know. And like you said we don't even know if Jim qualifies. It's not like his videos got better in quality (in terms of camera effects not what he's actually saying) although Anita's did have a noticeable step up.

Sonichu:

For example: go and interview all kinds of people (such as designers of the characters she alleges are 'harmful' to women in real world, and developers and producers of these games they're in). That's including flying to Europe and Japan.

That has absolutely nothing to do with her videos. Her videos are called Tropes Vs. Women in Gaming i.e her talking about common tropes that happen to the majority of women that grace themselves into a videogames. Not travel the world and listen to the 10,000 excuses from devs about why Missy McCardboard is yet another deadpan sex appeal romance device in gritty white dude the videogame, and it certainly does not have anything to do with what women face in real life (fucking ironic since a lot of us don't even take real life women's issues all that seriously. Esepcially in America)

Or just actually simply delivering their stupid YouTube vlogs at the self-imposed deadline of "Dec. 2012".

Who cares anymore. Seriously? She is making videos. That was the agreement. There are a fuckton of Kickstarter projects that get funded and delayed. Where was the outrage in that? None. Because they aren't Anita. I don't see anyone asking that troll kickstarter group Men Vs. Tropes in videogames where their videos are at.

And she broke this deal, as the videos are still not delivered.

I guess you missed the last four videos she posted after her kickstarter then. That, or your blatantly lying.

Guess what: she now asks her retarded followers to give her ever more money to keep the YouTube videos "ads-free". Despite the fact that YT hosting is free and costs nothing, and they got so much money already. And despite the claims of 'non-profit'. But Sarkeesian and McIntosh are just too greedy and never have enough.

Why do you care? If her fans want to give both of them more money then that is their own prerogative. Not yours. I would also like a link to that, becuase something like this would've been made a thread. Seeing as how her haters are more interested in every aspect of Anita's life than her damn fans.

"Help Support My Work
Support my web series! All contributions help sustain Feminist Frequency projects and keep all videos advertisement free."

I'm pretty sure our very own Escapist contributors do the exact same thing on a constant basis. Or did you already forget Jim's adblock episode which- while bringing up good points- was a giant "Join our Pub Club subscription memberships for no ads!" Which is perfectly fine, but I find it hypocritical that you are villifieing Anita for it.

One can only guess how much of 'non-profit' they got from this source, since at least 2012. Also, this whole idea of pre-paid (and made using brazingly stolen material) 'non'-profit' videos with ads. They are so shameless it's just incredible and disgusting they're getting away with it all so easy just because she's posed herself as a damsel in distress.

So I guess you would say the same thing for unicef? Game Grumps? Vinesauce? Jimquisition? Extra Credits? Zero Punctuation? Red Cross? Not a single damn one of us knows how 'non-profit' they are and yet nobody seems to care. Not only that, all of these companies have done advertisements in the past, and many of them are non profit i.e as a person has told me above, they aren't paying shareholders and them making money on the videos/goal/product is to simply support them making more of whatever venue they are doing. The Game grumps for the longest time had other jobs to help support their own series. In a podcast with Extra Credits the lead speaker of the show mentioned that he has (or had) another job on the side.

Jim makes his camera talk show but also does actual written articles as well- the same can be said for Yahtzee.

"Even a small drop of water can cause a big ripple against the corporate media nation for $5 a month. Set up a regular monthly donation using PayPal. Click the button below to get started."

Then you are implying that only those who donate get to see the videos. Which one- Anita hasn't done seeing as how I can go to her Youtube channel right now and download and share her videos anywhere, and two it ceases to be a donation and continues to be a subscription service. Which is what Anita is not doing.

"Forged in the heat of battle to fight the patriarchal media gods for $10 a month. Set up a regular monthly donation using PayPal. Click the button below to get started."

"Fight the forces of media darkness with a $15 a month donation. Set up a regular monthly donation using PayPal. Click the button below to get started."

"Traverse time and space in the search for feminist media with a $25 a month donation. Set up a regular monthly donation using PayPal. Click the button below to get started."

This is the most ridiculous thing I've read all year. This is the kind of stuff Jim has stated has gotten Anita in the limelight in the first place. Nobody would of given two fucks about her and her fucking kickstarter if her fanatical haters would just fucking ignore her and her average to boring opinions and did something else with their life. Like watch someone who they think has valuable opinions.

I guess Tammy's CowKitty is one of them evil patriarchical media corporations forces of darkness

Where the heck did you get this from? Who is saying this? Most of the discussions revolving around Tammy are simply focusing on the copyright aspects of her claim- which is, you cannot claim copyright to a character you made as fanart that belongs to another company (and a whole bunch of other legal jargon.)

(others include Lego and Nintendo) the hero feminist martyr Sarkeesian is rippling against so you don't have to.

??????

The list of monthly donors: http://www.feministfrequency.com/donate/donors/ Currently, them alone are paying Sarkeesian and McIn up to 2,650 dollars each month to "keep all videos advertisement free."

GOOD FOR THEM I do not care what her blasted fans decide to do with their own blasted money. They aren't being tricked they aren't being lied. They said directly up front what the money was going to do and they willingly gave them money. Good for them. Hurrah. Celebration. It has absolutely no effect on me, you, or anyone else who does/doesn't like their videos.

Is anyone that has content on this site claiming that they are a not for profit, where as Anita is to get away with using other people's works without having to cite where she requires them?

If your answer is no they are not claiming a Not for Profit, and Anita is, then you should be able to understand, why people are having some issues with her.

She is deliberately going out of her way to make money on her work, understandable, I like making money on my work as well... While simultaneously claiming Not for Profit and educational tools being created... As opposed to an opinion factor that is lacking in true peer reviewed Academia by people in a similar field to her situation, the study of video games to prove it causes gamers, more specifically male gamers to perpetuate a negative view against women in the real world.

So yes, everything you said would make sense as to, "We bash her because Anita, and not escapist when they do the same thing!" Except those on escapist have chosen to not call themselves non profit organizations... So this entire thing you posted, was just you ranting on a false moral high ground.

ultreos2:
Is anyone that has content on this site claiming that they are a not for profit, where as Anita is to get away with using other people's works without having to cite where she requires them?

If your answer is no they are not claiming a Not for Profit, and Anita is, then you should be able to understand, why people are having some issues with her.

She is deliberately going out of her way to make money on her work, understandable, I like making money on my work as well... While simultaneously claiming Not for Profit and educational tools being created... As opposed to an opinion factor that is lacking in true peer reviewed Academia by people in a similar field to her situation, the study of video games to prove it causes gamers, more specifically male gamers to perpetuate a negative view against women in the real world.

So yes, everything you said would make sense as to, "We bash her because Anita, and not escapist when they do the same thing!" Except those on escapist have chosen to not call themselves non profit organizations... So this entire thing you posted, was just you ranting on a false moral high ground.

Of course. And yes, blogging and vlogging and reviewing for video game websites is Jim Sterling's job. He's paid for this and he does it for profit (and for living).

Anita Sarkeesian's first career choices were about some shady telemarketing and "handwriting university" businesses. She wasn't successful there, so she decided to become a "feminist media critic". She then studied feminism and teamed up with "a pop culture hacker and transformative storyteller" Johnathan McIntosh to create the "non-profit" corporation Feminist Frequency. It wasn't very successful too when it was about films, TV series and toys, so she decided to jump on the hot-topic media bandwagon of "sexism in video games".

They made sure to pose her as a damsel-in-distress innocent and unprovoked victim of "misygonist hordes" (quote) of this horrible "sexist male gamer" (quote) culture through a controlled operation. Sarkeesian herself said she was "strategically collecting the comments" after she's opened the comments just on this video, having closed comments on her every prior stupid video, and after she spammed 4chan. They then milked it do the max, advertised the sob story that the media loved and worked with them to create her image of infallible martyr, so they are now swimming in money and fame (resulting in ever more money), with minimum work (she's not even made her promised videos despite it taking her nearly 2 years now), all while all and every critcism is either silenced or ignored. And they're not stopping there.

Btw, the "pop culture hacker and transformative storyteller" sure loves the word "remix": http://www.rebelliouspixels.com/ (71 instances of remix on his website's main page). I have a strange urge to remix his face.

You can't exactly argue that the "sexist male gamer" is a myth though. Whenever anyone dares to even remotely suggest that games should be more inclusive, this horde of dudebro gamers just comes out of the woodwork, spouting bile and abuse, insisting that doing so will ruin video games forever and that the foul womenfolk, especially feminists, should be kept away from games as much as possible. Because goodness knows that rampant objectification of women is the only thing making video games worth playing. Or just hang out on any female gamer trying to stream long enough, even if they don't use a webcam, they'll get inappropriate comments thrown their way sooner or later.

Or heck, just go through the archives of http://fatuglyorslutty.com/, there is a problem and whether you like or hate her content, you can't deny that she's at least got a discussion going about it.

I'll just respond to this, because it's so funny.

Dragonbums:

Sonichu:

This is the most ridiculous thing I've read all year. This is the kind of stuff Jim has stated has gotten Anita in the limelight in the first place.

These "most ridiculous" paragraphs were all direct quotes from McIntosh & Sarkeesian e-begging for (even more) money.

Pedro The Hutt:
You can't exactly argue that the "sexist male gamer" is a myth though. Whenever anyone dares to even remotely suggest that games should be more inclusive, this horde of dudebro gamers just comes out of the woodwork, spouting bile and abuse, insisting that doing so will ruin video games forever and that the foul womenfolk, especially feminists, should be kept away from games as much as possible. Because goodness knows that rampant objectification of women is the only thing making video games worth playing. Or just hang out on any female gamer trying to stream long enough, even if they don't use a webcam, they'll get inappropriate comments thrown their way sooner or later.

Or heck, just go through the archives of http://fatuglyorslutty.com/, there is a problem and whether you like or hate her content, you can't deny that she's at least got a discussion going about it.

But games are inclusive. Even angry kids on Xbox Live will call you a fucking faggot bitch nigger no matter your actual gender, sexuality and race. Everyone will be abused equally.

There's no "objectification of women" in games, unless it's about digitizing them (about game characters, they're all objects). And the "horde of dudebro gamers" is playing their Maddens and not reading nerd forums or anything.

@"fatuglyorslutty" In my life, I've seen it only once. Some foreign (I'm Polish) stupid kids came to a LOL championship and there were later all of "who fed Ahri" comments because one of the cosplay chicks I know is "fat" (and "slutty", heh, but hey it's cosplay): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky22aqR8twM So I see LOL kids are little shits, I see. (From the comments there: "This is pretty much the LoL community in a nutshell".) But I didn't personally witness it happen anywhere else, and I've watched (and photographed, https://www.facebook.com/pages/Trigger-Warning-Photography/422686474526778 is my newly created facebook fanpage, from last year or so) lots of cosplay and attented many gaming related events for one and half decades now.

Also I think I too was sort of a little asshole when I was their age. It's a part of being a male child growing up, I guess. Even as there was no Internet as we know it back then. What I didn't do was http://chuckpalahniuk.net/features/shorts/guts though.

But speaking of cosplay chicks, I rememeber how I talked to one once about feminism after we did a photoshoot. She told me she thinks the radical feminists are "kinda fucked up". I think it was this one in this costume (it's WOW): https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/1381481_415663505200840_1891234736_n.jpg

I swear to god. I've probably discussed this with friends multiple times.

You can't claim fan art as your own!

The companies that have created the original characters and works can technically sue you for creating fanart, they can sue you for unauthorized recreation of their works. Hell they can sue people for cos-playing. But they don't because that's bad PR, however, as the current youtube controversy is showing, this stuff is starting to get on the original owners nerves.

If you take a look at fanfiction.net, they have a huge list of authors who's works are off limits. Because legally, those authors can say "I don't want fans using my characters and my universe in their works."

This is especially why DeviantArt doesn't do crap when fanart is stolen.

The only people that can go after Anita, are the people that created and own Daphne.

PirateRose:
I swear to god. I've probably discussed this with friends multiple times.

You can't claim fan art as your own!

The companies that have created the original characters and works can technically sue you for creating fanart, they can sue you for unauthorized recreation of their works. Hell they can sue people for cos-playing. But they don't because that's bad PR, however, as the current youtube controversy is showing, this stuff is starting to get on the original owners nerves.

If you take a look at fanfiction.net, they have a huge list of authors who's works are off limits. Because legally, those authors can say "I don't want fans using my characters and my universe in their works."

This is especially why DeviantArt doesn't do crap when fanart is stolen.

The only people that can go after Anita, are the people that created and own Daphne.

Actually yes, you can. If you drew something for yourself, the image is yours. You just don't own the character.

And yes, dA will remove your stolen fanart of another user and then ban you if you won't stop. I did it myself to several assholes I found when I was (much) more active once (which means years ago).

maninahat:

She may have claimed she was recording game footage with her game recorder, but I don't see anywhere where she pointed to cubex55's footage and claimed she specifically filmed that footage herself.

She just recently did an interview claiming that she has a $179 game recorder and ignoring those citations.

It's all well and good claiming that giving credit is all important in academia, but academia historically hasn't had to deal with the bibliographic implications of let's players. Personally, I still think at least referencing them would have been the classy thing to do, but I doubt she is breaking any code (academic or legal).

She actually is being extremely unethical. Plagiarization is a serious offense and it's looked as such in the academic world where your reputation is a lot more important.

You didn't actually argue against my point. What is the academic standard for crediting let's plays? She did credit and reference the games themselves, but is she required by any academic standard to reference the means by which the games were filmed? No? Then it isn't a case of academic plagiarism, it's just a case of someone not showing courtesy to the people who create the footage.

That's a disingenuous argument. If she didn't supply her own footage, she can cite where she got it. That's ethics at play and giving a shout out to Let's Players and artists, particularly for older games, would be a nice thing to do instead of plagiarization.

I checked the list of California non-profits. She's not on it. Further, checking with the corporate list, I found that Feminist Frequency is enlisted as a non-stock corporation. While she doesn't have to be a non-profit organization, it diminishes her Fair Use claim in court and her behavior in claiming Fair Use when she's done so many other questionable things from Anita make this a highly suspect claim.

I looked at this link - it says "non-stock (non-profit)".
http://www.wysk.com/index/california/walnut/mt8qeb8/feminist-frequency/profile

[/quote]

Heh...

Data updated March 11, 2014

So they just changed it as they came under fire and have to wait for the letter saying how they're a non-profit now, eh?

Wow...

Sonichu:

But games are inclusive. Even angry kids on Xbox Live will call you a fucking faggot bitch nigger no matter your actual gender, sexuality and race. Everyone will be abused equally.

Also I think I too was sort of a little asshole when I was their age. It's a part of being a male child growing up, I guess. Even as there was no Internet as we know it back then. What I didn't do was http://chuckpalahniuk.net/features/shorts/guts though.

Look, just because "everyone does it" neither makes it fair or right. The entire reason I don't play on Xbox Live is because I don't need to take that abusive crap from anyone, and no game has been worth putting up with that. I play with friends only.

Being a kid doesn't excuse the behaviour, but it does give you much more room to take-back evil things you've done since kids aren't expected to know everything.

Hey here's a thing. Americans aren't considered adults till they are 21. Other countries are between 16 and 19. Just because one has earned the right to drink and consent to sex, doesn't mean that you're mature enough to handle the consequences, that's why these ages are there. That age for Americans is because that's the expected age to have graduated from college. So why all the movies about stupid drunk fratbros?

Dragonbums:

That question has been answered a billion times already. She made the kickstarter to make more videos, and sure enough she made more videos what more can you possibly do with that much money?

Uh, arrange for some sort of a (polite and civil) debate with several (respectable) people involved with different viewpoints? Doesn't have to even buy the place and equipment, just rent it, and compensate the participating folks for their time. Then make a video out of that.

Now, I'm not saying it's what she "should" have done. It's merely something you "can" do with circa 150k, and in my opinion, it could actually be quite educational to actually see differing viewpoints be discussed, much more than asserting one over and over again.

Again, not something she "should have" done, just something that could have been done, which would, in my opinion, be quite interesting to see.

KisaiTenshi:

Sonichu:

Look, just because "everyone does it" neither makes it fair or right. The entire reason I don't play on Xbox Live is because I don't need to take that abusive crap from anyone, and no game has been worth putting up with that. I play with friends only.

Being a kid doesn't excuse the behaviour, but it does give you much more room to take-back evil things you've done since kids aren't expected to know everything.

Hey here's a thing. Americans aren't considered adults till they are 21. Other countries are between 16 and 19. Just because one has earned the right to drink and consent to sex, doesn't mean that you're mature enough to handle the consequences, that's why these ages are there. That age for Americans is because that's the expected age to have graduated from college. So why all the movies about stupid drunk fratbros?

I don't thinik I watched any "movies about stupid drunk fratbros". I think I watched a few stoner movies, though. Oh wait, there was some comedy about Americans drinking a lot of beer in Germany. I don't know "all the" others though. Also not sure what it had to do with anything.

But speaking of movies (but also on the Internet) the most sexist Americans appear to be blacks, often casually referring to women as bitches. Like this guy who I follow on YT does all the time: http://www.youtube.com/user/natesvlogs (and many also black strangers he laughs at in his videos do this too) and I actually think this guy is hilarious, should I check my privilege about it or something? At least he uploads his "media remix and transformative storytelling" vlogs actually for free, and often, unlike some lazy scammers. He's not playing games, neither, but he did in his childhood and he did some funny game-related stuff like this about the TV Zelda: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrZ0ATfNOEI (TRIGGER WARNING: RAPE JOKES AND BLACK PEOPLE). Also note the feminist commentary on how "that bitch always gets kidnapped". Edit: Oh wait, he wants to play games again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukBd9HqeAiY

And I don't play on Xbox Live because I've got only the PlayStations since the PSX in 1996.

Also speaking of "everyone" and "other countries", some (many) people do this: http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/commentators/fisk/robert-fisk-the-crimewave-that-shames-the-world-2072201.html

Now you can tell me:

1. Why all those feminists care so much about "too slutty" or "unrealistic" fictional characters and other complete bullshit and not things like that?

2. Or maybe is real-world violence like that really caused by playing video games, after all?

Vegosiux:

Dragonbums:

That question has been answered a billion times already. She made the kickstarter to make more videos, and sure enough she made more videos what more can you possibly do with that much money?

Uh, arrange for some sort of a (polite and civil) debate with several (respectable) people involved with different viewpoints? Doesn't have to even buy the place and equipment, just rent it, and compensate the participating folks for their time. Then make a video out of that.

Now, I'm not saying it's what she "should" have done. It's merely something you "can" do with circa 150k, and in my opinion, it could actually be quite educational to actually see differing viewpoints be discussed, much more than asserting one over and over again.

Again, not something she "should have" done, just something that could have been done, which would, in my opinion, be quite interesting to see.

Or just actually making a series of kind of videos about all those "harmful tropes". Because didn't need any money for this "non profit" series as everything's on the internet for free, and not only regarding the "costly research" (TV Tropes, Wikipedia, Wikia, Giant Bomb) but apparently including even the videos of fellow youtubers to steal, and also art of every kind to steal too), but they got hundreds of thousands of dollars, and they didn't even do this, ANYTHING, in 2 years soon.

Also on the subject of Blogger "Tammy" from CowKitty.net (lol): https://twitter.com/Cowkitty/status/441979800664543232

"@Cowkitty No, I'm pretty sure they hate her because she is a woman, and she talks about problematic themes in video games. Reddit hates that"

"@LukeMaciak Wait, I'm a woman who grew up on problematic themes in video games. If I end up hating her... will the universe explode? >.>"

All this talk of legal use etc may be the case. But you should still ask the person for permission to use the picture. Even if its just because its the morally right thing to do. Especially from Anita who expects the same for her.

Sonichu:

I don't thinik I watched any "movies about stupid drunk fratbros". I think I watched a few stoner movies, though. Oh wait, there was some comedy about Americans drinking a lot of beer in Germany. I don't know "all the" others though. Also not sure what it had to do with anything.

Please tell me you mean the movie Beerfest! There a few movies as good as ones that have "The Eye of the Jew" and decent jokes about "Das Boot."

DeimosMasque:

Sonichu:

Please tell me you mean the movie Beerfest! There a few movies as good as ones that have "The Eye of the Jew" and decent jokes about "Das Boot."

Yeah, Beerfest it was.

KisaiTenshi:
And that happened on BOTH sides. I'll agree that Anita isn't infallible and that a lot of what is IN the videos is stuff that people should already know. But it's meant to be educational (eg teaching feminism through it's representation in video games) it's okay and kinda boring on that account. There are however people who seem to completely miss this fact entirely and think that she's trying to demonize games, developers, writers, etc for being lazy (which is kinda true) and not risk taking (which IS true) rather than use it as a starting point for a conversation about WHY this stuff is like this.

If something is supposed to be educational, it should at least have all the facts right. Unfortunately, Anita's videos simply don't have that. A quick example would be to look up the actual storyline for Dinosaur Planet before it became StarFox Adventures and then tell me it was 'all about Krystal and her quest to save the world' as Anita puts it.

She makes false statements, uses lies by omission, purports her own views as absolute fact and has massive confirmation bias (example: Peach is the quintessential DiD... when she has been playable in over half her total game appearances ((45 I think out of around 83 total appearances in video games)) over the years and has had many other appearances where she is not a DiD, but those can be ignored with confirmation bias as only what Anita wants to show is presented).

Look up how well academics takes to things like that and continue to say they're educational.

KisaiTenshi:
Anita has a list of what hardware she has:
http://anita.sarkeesian.usesthis.com/
2 D7000 Nikon DSLR's @ 1000$ ea, these were superceeded by Nikon last year. So this gear had to have been purchased before mid-2013
2 power supplies 60$ ea
1 370$ lens
1 430$ lens
1 330$ microphone
1 440$ DSLR Microphone mixer
1 380$ Lavelier microphone (the kind you pin to your clothes)

The above equipment alone is superior to what the Nostalgia Critic uses (who basically just yells into a single FHD Sony camcorder, with no mixing equipment)

2 780$ lights
1 700$ iPad teleprompter kit
1 Third Generation iPad (which means it was bought between March 2012 and the iPad Air at between 500 and 1000$
10$ app and 100$ remote to go with the teleprompter setup.
140$ tripod for the teleprompter setup
1300 to 2000$ per MacBook Pro
730$ to 1000$ External Hard drive setup (WD TB Duo RAID)
180$ Game capture device (this is not a professional piece of hardware btw, it's meant for streaming and is low quality)

I'm going to skip the console list because these machines (except the Wii U and XBone) could have been acquired at any time before the Kickstarter.
Same with the monitors/TV's used.

That's 10760$ before you even get to the editing software, game consoles and games themselves. Which gear did she have before, we know she replaced the lighting rig, but hasn't indicated what cameras were used before, if anything. (Could have used the facetime cameras in the mac. Since she uses FCP7, I'm presuming that she was using a Mac before.

And how much of that is brand new equipment? She's been making videos for a few years. It's not hard to fathom she has bought equipment over the lifetime of her video making. I've upgraded my own game recording and broadcasting software multiple times over the years, as well as external hard drives and such. So, why do you assume she bought all of this with the Kickstarter money? She obviously bought some of it with it, as the lighting has seen much improvement as has her sound quality. Her video quality has seen slight improvement, but that could just be a side effect of the lighting, as well. She also used Macs, previously, as even her Kickstarter video showed her editing on one-- and her Kickstarter page also showed she used some form of DSLR camera to record in a picture of her recording area, previously, not the built in iSight/Facetime camera in the Macs.

Also, FCP7 is one of the most pirated pieces of software on the Mac. Before you even say she'd never do that, please remember she has even stated in her own videos she frequents torrent sites, so don't think she's above pirating an expensive piece of video editing software.

As for the Elgato game capture device not being good quality, you have obviously never used one. It can record 720p video at 60fps at a decent bitrate (I think maxing out at around 9.5 or so GB/hour recorded) and record 1080p video at 30fps at a huge bitrate which maxes file sizes out to 19.5 GB/hour recorded. The AverMedia devices and the Hauppauge HDPVR series are also very good quality for the price. Sure, none of them are professional level 1080p 60fps recorders, but those cost a hell of a lot more than $150-$200. But...

KisaiTenshi:
A lot of the game footage she used was from out-of-print games, and it's not reasonable to acquire footage for every single game without breaking copyright laws and emulating the hardware (as in there is no legal mechanism for capturing video from Arcade games, you'd need a pirate copy of the game.) So a lot of rage whaargarble about what she spent the money on, is again, baseless. Should she have asked permission from more people, but you know when this kind of attitude towards her videos is present, it's probably better to just straight to fair use rather than be told no and look like a dick when you claim fair use later.

She says she has that Elgato Game Capture HD recorder... but it's been shown even for the more recent games where actual gameplay is being shown in her videos, that they were taken from Let's Play channels, mostly from one particular channel IIRC. All that takes is a screen cap program. On the Mac, $25 will get you ScreenFlick, an excellent screen capture program that can record up to 60 fps. I've used it, myself, and it's a great program.

So, while you are correct in saying looking for videos of older games is reasonable without having to worry about the whole emulation deal, the fact that she simply isn't really recording her own gameplay for the gameplay videos used in her series on newer games says she doesn't really need the Elgato Game Capture HD device, at all.

KisaiTenshi:
But hey, you know what, people wouldn't keep grinding that hate axe if they didn't want another swing.

I'd rather people just finally see her as a dishonest person pushing an agenda, which she is, and just let her fade back into Internet obscurity like the majority of people on the web, myself included. Stop paying her to give the talk circuit gigs where she rehashes the exact same script about how the internet is filled with big bad bullies out to shut her up and cause her harm (and she has thousands of meticulously taken screen shots to prove it!). Stop giving her videos any attention beyond her current fanbase. Stop her 'consulting' to video game companies.

She isn't worth it.

AntiChri5:
Did the artist get permission to draw the character?

You don't have to ask permission to make a drawing of something. I can make a drawing of Spider-Man, Batman, Scorpion, Master Chief, whatever, and I do not have to ask Marvel/Disney's, DC Comics/WB, Netherrealm Studios/WBI or Microsoft to make said drawing.

Now, as to whether I could try to SELL said piece of artwork is a different issue. I cannot claim ownership of the trademarked characters, only on my original piece of artwork. But, without proper licensing of the trademarked characters, there is a far bigger chance of some lawyer for one of those companies sniffing me out and sending me at the very least a cease and desist letter on selling the artwork.

That seems to be an issue I see a LOT of people in here and the other locked thread misinterpreting... because of the fact that Tamara/Cowkitty didn't own the rights to Princess Daphne, she automagically has no rights over her own drawing. Which is FALSE. She owns the copyright over her own original artwork, but she does not necessarily have any rights to the actual trademarked character (provided the trademark is still in effect). That's the difference.

I saw someone mentioning if he took a picture of a Van Gogh painting he couldn't claim copyright. Again, false. The copyright on the picture taken is by the person taking the picture. It's theirs. I saw someone saying remixing the Mona Lisa in some way wouldn't be allowed. Also false, since the Mona Lisa is very prominently in the Public Domain (as is Van Gogh's painting in this case).

As much as Disney, Warner Bros. and others would love for copyright to last forever-- without getting rid of the older Public Domain stuff so they can still profit from making new stories from it-- it currently does not (but expect senate hearings on increasing copyright lengths again, soon, Steamboat Willie is set to enter the Public Domain again in a few years). And, in fact, Disney is the biggest hypocrite when it comes to the Public Domain, being as many of their most famous animations are based off of stories from the Public Domain (Snow White, Cinderella, Pinocchio, etc.)... but God forbid Steamboat Willie enter the Public Domain. The world would stop turning according to Disney.

So, in short, if it is something in the Public Domain, you can do whatever the hell you want with it and claim your new work as yours. If you do some sort of fanart drawing, you can lay claim to copyright of that particular drawing; but you may not be able to profit from said drawing depending on other IP laws in effect (trademark, etc.) nor can you claim ownership of the property the fanart is based on.

UncleThursday:

And how much of that is brand new equipment? She's been making videos for a few years. It's not hard to fathom she has bought equipment over the lifetime of her video making. I've upgraded my own game recording and broadcasting software multiple times over the years, as well as external hard drives and such. So, why do you assume she bought all of this with the Kickstarter money? She obviously bought some of it with it, as the lighting has seen much improvement as has her sound quality. Her video quality has seen slight improvement, but that could just be a side effect of the lighting, as well. She also used Macs, previously, as even her Kickstarter video showed her editing on one-- and her Kickstarter page also showed she used some form of DSLR camera to record in a picture of her recording area, previously, not the built in iSight/Facetime camera in the Macs.

One small thing...

Both people in charge of Feminist Frequency Inc (since it just changed to a non-profit...) have been caught admitting to piracy.

I doubt highly either one of them would pay for licenses on the software.

But as they say "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink".

KisaiTenshi:
Moving on to the game capture question. Assuming she has the console and the game. The device she has is only good for the Xbox 360, and pretty much only for streaming. Most "game" capturing devices only capture 1080i and stereo max. Actual professional grade capture hardware supports capturing anything thrown at it. Most PVR type devices will introduce delays in the capture, making it difficult to actually play and capture. For example if you use the analog-inputs of the camcorders mentioned above, you add like 200ms of latency. This is why I say "only good for streaming" because you're not caring about the quality, just the latency. For documentary purposes you want to preserve as much as the original quality as possible because it's always lossy capture. Garbage in, garbage out.

Anyway, I'm going to step off this soapbox. IMO the average person doing any kind of documentary or news work featuring games, needs more than just consumer hardware. When you're dealing with film/tv sources you can just rip the source video and use the piece you need. Players doing Let's Plays and Speedruns with narration on the actual hardware need another 500$ in capture hardware, and if they are capturing from the PC, they need a second PC. This isn't what most people have. Most people just make do with what they have. As such many narrated LP's are horrible to watch and listen to.

Your complete lack of knowledge about game capture devices on the market now is astounding.

If you want to talk about older capture devices like the original Hauppauge HDPVR, then, yes, that only did 1080i. Because it only had component inputs. Component inputs can only do 1080i, max.

The HDPVR2 series, the Elgato Game Capture HD, The AverMedia devices, and others that are on the market or coming out, are all equipped with HDMI ports and can record 1080p video. Each has its pros and cons versus each other.

As for them only working with the Xbox 360? Are you completely daft? The PS3 also had component out which would work with the older capture devices. The newer ones all come with adapters that let you use them with PS3s through the component output. Or, if you really wanted to get around the HDCP on the PS3 and PS4, then one can get a fairly cheap DVI to HDMI converter, get a HDMI to DVI cable and an optical audio cable, run them into the converter and out to the capture cards and from the cards to the TV. They also all work, out of the box, on the Xbox 360 and Xbox One HDMI outputs, since there is no HDCP on those consoles on game footage (they will not work when using apps, though, where HDCP is turned on, like Amazon or Netflix). These ALL work for recording and streaming, much to the opposite of what you claim.

As for the lag, they all offer HDMI passthrough to the television. No one in their right mind attempts to record footage of a game while watching their computer monitor to play the game. They're often 3-5 seconds, or more, behind what is actually happening. It gets recorded on the PC or Mac, but the game player is watching their television, not the damn computer monitor. I play and capture all the time. I just don't watch my computer monitor until I am ready to hit stop recording and am making sure the footage has caught up to where I stopped. Everyone plays and records (or streams console games when going through these devices) at the same time in the same way. I don't know what screwed up world you live on that they do it otherwise. Every single game would be completely unplayable without the passthrough to the television.

The Elgato Game Capture HD that Anita has said she has is $180 retail. The HDPVR2 is also between $160-$180 retail (the more expensive version is for the Mac, since there is no native software for it and this grants a licence for the craptacualr HDPVRCapture software on the Mac, a $30 license otherwise, since Elgato's EyeTV software, which is superior in every way, does not support the HDPVR2). The AverMedia Live Gamer Portable (the one most people use for consoles when using an AverMedia device) is $160-$180 depending on where you buy it. I own both a Hauppauge HDPVR2 Gaming Edition Plus (the more expensive version) and an Elgato Game Capture HD. The main difference is the Elgato software is far more usable than that shitty HDPVRCapture software I am forced to use with the HDVPR2 GE+. The only reason I still have the HDPVR2 is because by the time I bought the Elgato and went to return the HDPVR2 it was past the 30 day return policy.

Seriously, you're as bad as Bob MovieBob Chipman trying to make people think these devices cost an arm, leg, firstborn and your soul to get. And that they're far more limited than what they actually are.

Also, your ideas about copyright are equally flawed. See my above post on that.

Dragonbums:
Who cares anymore. Seriously? She is making videos. That was the agreement. There are a fuckton of Kickstarter projects that get funded and delayed. Where was the outrage in that? None. Because they aren't Anita. I don't see anyone asking that troll kickstarter group Men Vs. Tropes in videogames where their videos are at.

Dragonbums:
I guess you missed the last four videos she posted after her kickstarter then. That, or your blatantly lying.

All 13 videos and DVDs sent to people who donated enough were supposed to be completed by the end of 2012. The very first video did not arrive until March of 2013, three months late. Each video thereafter has taken 3 additional months to be released. At this rate, she'll have all of the videos made by the end of 2015, with no guarantee the DVDs will ship before 2016, if ever.

You also asked where the backlash was against other Kickstarter programs that saw delays... well, if I supported one at a reasonably substantial (to me, say $100 or more) contribution, and it looked like what I was being promised wasn't going to be delivered until 3 years after the promised delivery date, I'd be hella pissed. No matter who it was from. A 3 year delay for something someone/a company was ALREADY PAID FOR is beyond ludicrous.

Let's face it, she isn't writing War and Peace, here. She isn't making some epic movie costing millions of dollars and millions of man hours to produce. Her first few videos in the series were essentially rehashes of her Tropes vs. Women in TV series. They hardly take 9 months to make the first, and then 3 months in between each subsequent video, on a production level. At worst, a few days of her in front of a camera and then the editing can take a while (I know, video editing 10 minute video reviews can take hours). But not 3 freaking years past the supposed delivery date in time to produce. Even the most amatuer of video editors can get the videos out in far less time than she is taking.

Then again, most amatuer video producers aren't too busy doing paid for talk circuit gigs instead of doing what she was already paid for, either.

McIntosh blinked.

[Quote]Anita, thank you so very very much for doing the right thing and finally removing my artwork as I had kindly requested. This is a fantastic first step to recognizing the rights of digital content creators such as myself, and a wonderful example for content creators of different disciplines to try to communicate and work together.

I'm very very sorry we were not able to come to an agreement for you to continue using my artwork, but please remember that the door is still open: I'd be incredibly happy for you to keep using my artwork for free as soon as you can provide proof that you are a California Non Profit Public Benefit Corporation.

While I'd love to take your word for it because women + games is a topic that is true to my heart, it wouldn't be fair to the other orgs I've worked with to give you permission without proof. I know it's frustrating, but I have to at least try to play fair and not play favorites. I gotta always fact check. Dem's the rules. :(

(Remember, the easiest way to confirm a business is really a non-profit is to search via the official IRS charity site- you don't need any private paperwork or anything, just the official non-profit business name. :) )

I hope that you will continue this positive trend even further and resolve the issues with the other non-original work that you have been using without the content creator's permission, including @DinobotTwit artwork and the several Let's Play videos from Youtube. As a lover of transformative work, I do hope that you will engage in direct communication with the content creators to see what their own wishes are.

With your resources, I would love to see you give back to the creative community by commissioning artists to create original work for you, instead of using their work without permission. You might be surprised at how affordable an artist can be, and many (myself included!) even love to gift their work away for free to good causes. :)

In the future, please consider using proper academic citations in your work for any content you use that is not your own- it's the easiest and most professional way to avoid situations like this in the future and completely avoid any allegations of plagiarism from detracting from your own message.

Thanks again for resolving this issue! :D

Tammy

PS: Just to be as clear as possible: Put down your weapons, internet. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. ;D[/quote]

McIntosh blinked.

Anita, thank you so very very much for doing the right thing and finally removing my artwork as I had kindly requested. This is a fantastic first step to recognizing the rights of digital content creators such as myself, and a wonderful example for content creators of different disciplines to try to communicate and work together.

I'm very very sorry we were not able to come to an agreement for you to continue using my artwork, but please remember that the door is still open: I'd be incredibly happy for you to keep using my artwork for free as soon as you can provide proof that you are a California Non Profit Public Benefit Corporation.

While I'd love to take your word for it because women + games is a topic that is true to my heart, it wouldn't be fair to the other orgs I've worked with to give you permission without proof. I know it's frustrating, but I have to at least try to play fair and not play favorites. I gotta always fact check. Dem's the rules. :(

(Remember, the easiest way to confirm a business is really a non-profit is to search via the official IRS charity site- you don't need any private paperwork or anything, just the official non-profit business name. :) )

I hope that you will continue this positive trend even further and resolve the issues with the other non-original work that you have been using without the content creator's permission, including @DinobotTwit artwork and the several Let's Play videos from Youtube. As a lover of transformative work, I do hope that you will engage in direct communication with the content creators to see what their own wishes are.

With your resources, I would love to see you give back to the creative community by commissioning artists to create original work for you, instead of using their work without permission. You might be surprised at how affordable an artist can be, and many (myself included!) even love to gift their work away for free to good causes. :)

In the future, please consider using proper academic citations in your work for any content you use that is not your own- it's the easiest and most professional way to avoid situations like this in the future and completely avoid any allegations of plagiarism from detracting from your own message.

Thanks again for resolving this issue! :D

Tammy

PS: Just to be as clear as possible: Put down your weapons, internet. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. ;D

McIntosh blinked and finally removed the artwork. Didn't provide evidence of charity work.

Meanwhile:

http://start.toshiba.com/news/read/category/Technology/article/destructoi-another_artist_speaks_about_having_their-ncrd

Artist Heather "Dinobot" Sheppard (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, The Chase) was in a similar position not that long ago. She had created an image of Claire from Thomas Was Alone, gained permission from the game's creator to sell it, and put it up on Redbubble for purchase. The image was later used in one of Feminist Frequency's videos without Heather's knowledge or permission.

UncleThursday:

Your complete lack of knowledge about game capture devices on the market now is astounding.

If you want to talk about older capture devices like the original Hauppauge HDPVR, then, yes, that only did 1080i. Because it only had component inputs. Component inputs can only do 1080i, max.

Please don't insult me.

As I said, these devices are an inferior means of capturing video. I could really care less about what kind of awful video players put up, but cheap devices aren't for capturing video, just streaming.

a) If you are capturing video from a game console, you need to capture it losslessly 1080p in RGB and do the editing on that. The average person's computer will fall over, especially a laptop at that rate.
b) Capturing from YPbPr is Analog. Although you can in theory capture analog video, it's extremely noisy compared to HDMI, and results in inefficient capture. You also can't split analog sources as you lose half the signal strength.
c) PVR's and cheapo capture devices that can't capture raw video, compress to sub-12Mbps h264 in YUV420 colorspace. They may even be compressing to less than 1Mbps if they are being tuned for Justin.tv
d) The PS3 requires HDCP, even on games. The Xbox360 does not. The Wii U does not. So again, these devices were only designed for the Xbox360. Nintendo's consoles don't play DVD's or Bluerays so they don't need HDCP.

When you are doing a serious documentary, you must acquire the best-possible footage possible, because you are going to lose quality during the mastering process (which is why you do -not- use Youtube as a source) and you will lose two generations of quality if you upload it to a streaming site (Your initial mastering -> file you upload to youtube -> youtube), so if you use youtube as a source and put the video back on youtube, congrats you just lost 6 generations of video quality. Do you know what YUV420 is? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling#4:2:0 Repeat this loss step every time, and you'll notice colors getting muddier, and edges disappearing with every generation.

I've uploaded 4GB lossless gameplay files to youtube that it turned into 80MB 1080p h264 video. That doesn't mean that video is any good. Yet video that is output from PC games (ala fraps or quicksync-based like OSB) puts out really terrible quality video that is effectively unusable to master with.

I'm not suggesting that everyone is doing it wrong, but most people don't care enough to produce documentary quality footage to begin with. The average gamer is going to stream low quality video for the purpose of showing an audience in semi-realtime. Like even if Anita had the resources to capture high quality video, she is unlikely to spend 30 hours per game, and keep 100's of TB's of external hard drives just to "maybe" use fragments of games later. Video editing just doesn't work that way. She's one person, not a studio.

Anyway this is a distraction from the argument that I'm expressing, and you seem to object about.

I don't care where Anita got the video from, but if I were doing said TvW project myself I'd have made the effort to acquire the video myself, because it takes just as long to watch a video as it does to play a game.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here