Angry Cat Traps Family In Bedroom, Forces 911 Call

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Fappy:
Propaganda

He's a traitor people, a turncoat! Don't let the fluffy menace sneak up on us before its too late! This Himalayan is just the vanguard of a much larger revolution. Stay vigilant and adopt a puppy, you'll be safer for it.

Redlin5:

Fappy:
Propaganda

He's a traitor people, a turncoat! Don't let the fluffy menace sneak up on us before its too late! This Himalayan is just the vanguard of a much larger revolution. Stay vigilant and adopt a puppy, you'll be safer for it.

Have I not been warning you people of the coming turmoil? Of the revolution!? Sure, go cower within the safety of your dog's love now, but be prepared to abandon those lesser creatures in the wake of the true gods. Make ready your offerings of catnip, loose string and roombas, for the feline pantheon does not heed the prayers of the woefully prepared.

OUR TIME HAS COME!

Yeah, sorry, no. I get being watchful of a cat if it's in your lap and pissed off, it can go for your face and hurt you (not tear out your jugular, but scratching your eyes is a possibility) or protecting a small child from it, but if you're actually standing, no matter how pissed off the fucker is, you can just pin it down, pick it up, hold its paws and shove him into a pet carrier (guessing they have one, most people do as you need it to take them to the vet) or something.

My girlfriend has a cat, it was taken off the street when it was rather little and he can be a bit nasty for it if you piss him off, but the only way it can outmaneuver you is if it's running away. They don't actively fight bigger things, they'll just scratch/bite and run off.

immortalfrieza:
As I said pretty much from the start, do your research, pick up a book or 2 on cats, read everything you can find on the net about cats, and then come back and tell me I'm bullshitting you.

I'm the one who provided research. You did not. All you've offered is your personal opinion and a lot of hyperbole.

Nevermind. I'm done talking to the "crazy cat man" (to use your own words).

james.sponge:
he just wants to chew those f***ing cables, I believe the cause here must be some cable trauma? or perhaps some kind of deficiency that can only be fulfilled by consuming electronic equipment? Seriously though chewing cables is his thing and his tendency to be very active must have been inherited... it's that simple really.

Strazdas:
The cause here is bad owner. If you dont know how to take care of your cat (and that is not limited to buying rubber toys) then down own one.

Enlighten me my friend, can you support that with any kind of practical experience. Had a couple of cats never had any issues with them, aside from cable chewing one, and they were all quite happy until they died.

The comments make me cry tears for human race...

Maybe I have balls of steel, IDK but I was fighting German Shepherds bare-handed when I was 10 years old for a laugh. And not my Shepherd - the mad and angry neighbourhood types.

And here I read comments about cats being new Osama Bin Laden of the world, that are planning to murder every human on the world and are dangerous beyond recognition... Bunch of little crybabies you are.

And may I be banned for offensive, but seriously - reading comments like this are making me understand Breivik...Jesus

Ultratwinkie:

NuclearKangaroo:

Ultratwinkie:

Too bad the dogs that mauled babies didn't get the memo. Unless of course they ruin he carpet forever with baby blood.

Or the Pitbulls.
Or the Rottweilers.

Or any other violent dogs.

I'm sure if you told the parents of those dead babies, things will be all better! I mean, who can resist a tasty baby? Dip them in barbeque sauce and you got some baby back ribs right there.

oh boy, i knew i shouldve sent everyone in the forum the "im not being serious" memo, but now its too late, you brought dead babies to the table, and now nobody can stop looking at the pile of dead babies in the room

i hope you are happy twinkie

I'm pro choice, everywhere I go I leave a pile of dead babies. Not exactly new.

They're delicious though, you should try them. The dogs have the right idea.

Except in red states, I can't go there. If I do, John Mccain will make me a dead baby.

(god, this is gonna go up on escapist.txt. I just know it. I am also being facetious.)

man this reminds me of a joke

whats more awful than a dead baby?

-a pile of dead babies

whats more awful than that?

-a live baby inside the pile

-the live baby eating its way out

-the live baby comming back for more

I saw a picture of the cat's face today. Every article I've seen calls this cat a Himalayan and I can bet a large sum of cash that the cat is NOT a Himalayan. Ugh, it's stupid and it bugs me so much. He's just your typical black and white tuxedo moggie. Still could afford afford to lose a few though. If your domestic cat is 10 kg and not a Maine Coon or Ragdoll, your cat might be fat.

immortalfrieza:

lacktheknack:
Snip

Not to a T no, but as subtle as the reason might turn out to be, there's always a reason and one can probably prepare for it. If one can find the reason they can solve the problem and fix the bad behavior, it just might take some time and work. You can predict an animal's behavior if you know enough about an animal, it's just that the reason it's doing something might not be blatantly obvious, you might have to pay close attention.

I'll quote again to highlight something I did yesterday. Animals are unpredictable, and anyone who works with animals, big or small, will tell you the same thing. It's good to listen to an animal and see what can trigger a bad behaviour and to carefully analyze a situation when something happens, but unless they can tell us specifically what's making them upset, sometimes we'll never know and it may be impossible to peg it down without days/weeks/months to look at behaviour patterns, health check-ups (as some negative behaviour like aggression can be linked to neurological problems. See "rage syndrome" in dogs, a neurological condition most frequently seen in Cocker and Springer Spaniels that trigger fits of aggression), behaviour modification procedures, and whatnot. Even then it may be difficult and expensive. And then animals have personalities, and like with us, can be fluid and inconsistent. Their fuses can be long one day and short another. Something that bugs them one day may not in another. They're like us. Anyone who says they can always anticipate an animal's reaction is going to open themselves up for surprises. Prepare what you can (from history, breed, health, current mood, etc), but always keep in your mind that there could be a curve ball that you may not have ever been able to predict for better or worse. That's what people mean by when animals are unpredictable (especially if you're dealing with an animal that doesn't give traditional warning signs, like growls).

And to respond to another post, no, cats don't have poor eyesight in the day. Sight is a very crucial sense to them, day or night. In some ways it's even better than our's, just kitty vision is more notable with being awesome at night. In general cats are very sensory with hearing, smell, sight, and touch. There's a reason why cat muzzles block the eyes.

as funny as this story is.. maybe they should have called the guy from that show My Cat from Hell

As someone who is totally unbiased....*looks at username*....ahem....

Never seen so much misinformation about cats before in my life.

Let's look at the KNOWN facts of the case, here, people:
1) The cat scratched the baby. The reason for this is still unclear.
2) The owner responded to this behavior by kicking the cat.
3) The cat responded to this show of force with a show of force of its own.

It doesn't take a damn rocket scientist to figure out that this incident was provoked by the humans, not the cat. Nor is it hard to figure out that perhaps the cat has a "history of violent behavior" because its owner apparently thinks that kicking it is the proper way to react to undesirable behavior.

There's a reason that shows like Dog Whisperer and such exist, why there are professionals who train cats and dogs to behave properly: it's because their owners are, more often than not, absolute morons who don't know how to care for their pet properly or adjust to its needs. This is one of those people. This cat has very likely been abused and mistreated for some time, and this time when it got the boot to its ass, it decided that enough was enough.

The number one rule of cats: cats are not dogs. They do not understand "punishment" in the same way as dogs. You can't "put them in timeout", you can't "discipline them" in the same manner as a dog (though you can teach them what behaviors are desirable). And you never respond to misbehavior with physical force. Whereas dogs are predators and don't feel as much of a need to worry about their status, cats have a natural "kill or be killed" instinct as they are not at the tops of the food chain in many cases, so they absolutely will respond to a show of sufficient force as if you're trying to kill them.

Anyone who honestly thinks the cat just did this "because it's a dick" can turn in their cat owner cards in this little garbage bin right here, because you know absolutely squat about your cats and frankly don't deserve to have one as a pet, lest you take a page from this abusive oaf and start kicking your own cats every time they do something you don't like.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the world . . .

Bara_no_Hime:

immortalfrieza:
As I said pretty much from the start, do your research, pick up a book or 2 on cats, read everything you can find on the net about cats, and then come back and tell me I'm bullshitting you.

I'm the one who provided research. You did not. All you've offered is your personal opinion and a lot of hyperbole.

For the record, you and everybody else on this thread didn't provide the slightest bit of research, you and the other people on this thread have just said cats are dicks for no reason over and over again while ignoring people like me who actually do know what they're talking about.

immortalfrieza:

For the record, you and everybody else on this thread didn't provide the slightest bit of research, you and the other people on this thread have just said cats are dicks for no reason over and over again while ignoring people like me who actually do know what they're talking about.[/quote]

Just dropping by. Stop lying please. You're insulting everyones (including your owns) intelligence with your behavior in this thread.
There were links provided which you even denied with "Didn't need to read them" yourself.

And to your argumentation: All you say is "I'm right, because i'm a cat expert with nothing to prove i am and clearly you all haven't read ALL the books about cats so your statements are all irrelevant".
If you can tell us at that point how ANY discussion is going to happen in the first place feel free to offer a solution.

You didn't listen to what people wrote and are again just repeating:

you and the other people on this thread have just said cats are dicks for no reason over and over again

They explained what they meant, they didn't just repeat.

You on the other hand just stated that you're know what you're talking about. No data to back it up, no prove of any diploma or something alike that would show you're an expert on your field nor any other sources/links to provide additional information. Just

people like me who actually do know what they're talking about.

I gonna turn this upside down now: You've no clue about what you're talking. You're mumbling incoherrent nonsense about animal saints, while it's pretty well documented that several animals - which includes us too btw - are very well capable of being sadistic / cruel to other beings for their own enjoyment.
Trust me, i know what im talking about so stop ignoring me!

Holy shit that must of been some fucking cat to trap a whole family AND a dog in a room!! what was it a tiger??

Adeptus Aspartem:
Snip

I would have to have actual arguments to argue against before I could refute them. All I'm getting is the equivalent of "cats are dicks for no reason because I said so!" That's not an argument. Also, I shouldn't even need to back what I say up, you can do that yourselves with any random Google search. Hell, here's one right now that took me about 2 seconds:
http://www.pawnation.com/2013/03/28/are-cats-evil-mean-or-vindictive-by-nature/

Why an I bothering to enlighten you people anyway? The very fact that you can even say this stuff proves that you know jack about cats at all.

NuclearKangaroo:
and this lads and gents is why dogs>cats

dogs are mans best friend, they dont trap people in bedrooms, they bring you the newspaper, play fetch and ruin the carpet forever

Yea I had a dog eat a couch once. A FUCKING COUCH. As well the rubber handle to a hammer, cowboy boots, and count less pillows. We put them up and he would find them. Thank god he's done with that phase. When I was a little kid when had a dog mom saved from an abusive home. Aggressive dogs kill, aggressive cats need to work at it to kill a human.

Cats > dogs :P

Pickapok:
The comments in here make me weep for the human race. I own four cats and love them all dearly but if I see one of them attack an INFANT then you're damn right I'm going to do whatever it takes to get it away from the baby, up to and including a swift kick to the rear.

Cats are awesome but babies are more important.

This.

Honestly, what the fuck is wrong with you people? If a cat scratched my son, I wouldn't just kick it. I'd cave its fucking head in.

Lizmichi:

NuclearKangaroo:

dogs are mans best friend, they dont trap people in bedrooms, they bring you the newspaper, play fetch and ruin the carpet forever

Yea I had a dog eat a couch once. A FUCKING COUCH. As well the rubber handle to a hammer, cowboy boots, and count less pillows. We put them up and he would find them. Thank god he's done with that phase. When I was a little kid when had a dog mom saved from an abusive home. Aggressive dogs kill, aggressive cats need to work at it to kill a human.

i was merely joking, but i still think much more highly of dogs than of cats

dogs are loyal and helpful, hell they even helped our ancestors hunt and stuff like that, cats have done... nothing really, just look cute and shit and dogs can be cute too

damn i love dogs

immortalfrieza:

Adeptus Aspartem:
Snip

I would have to have actual arguments to argue against before I could refute them. All I'm getting is the equivalent of "cats are dicks for no reason because I said so!" That's not an argument. Also, I shouldn't even need to back what I say up, you can do that yourselves with any random Google search. Hell, here's one right now that took me about 2 seconds:
http://www.pawnation.com/2013/03/28/are-cats-evil-mean-or-vindictive-by-nature/

Why an I bothering to enlighten you people anyway? The very fact that you can even say this stuff proves that you know jack about cats at all.

The article you provided mentions that cats do things because they have different personalities. From my understanding, it's agreeing with both sides to an extent.

NuclearKangaroo:

Lizmichi:

NuclearKangaroo:

dogs are loyal and helpful, hell they even helped our ancestors hunt and stuff like that, cats have done... nothing really, just look cute and shit and dogs can be cute too

damn i love dogs

Oh I know you were joking and meh to the puppy. It's cute, but I love cats. They're not needy, and they don't beg. When a cat wants you it will come to you, at least with all the cats I've had.

Lizmichi:

NuclearKangaroo:

Lizmichi:

damn i love dogs

Oh I know you were joking and meh to the puppy. It's cute, but I love cats. They're not needy, and they don't beg. When a cat wants you it will come to you, at least with all the cats I've had.

but a dog will ALWAYS be there for you, a cat, maybe if it feels like it, not that it will do anything useful, i dont think cats can really perform any useful task

The animal should't be put down.

The morons that poorly housed it probably should, though.

I don't think putting down violent animals is wrong, but puting down violent animals that are a result of horrible care is definetely wrong.

immortalfrieza:

Smilomaniac:

That's a nice encompassing line that means absolutely squat, since "provoke" could be anything that we don't see as unreasonable.
It fits right in with the attitude that animals can do no harm and it's simply not true.

"Provoke" means plenty, and it's obvious what it means. It means hurt them in some way. If that's not plain enough, here:
1. Don't hit or attack them in any way.
2. Don't mess with their food while they're eating it.
3. Don't screw with their kids, especially when they're not around and don't trust you.
4. Don't just walk up and start petting an animal you've never met before. There's a good chance they will hurt you or try to run away.
5. Learn how to handle behavioral problems or don't have the animal.
6. Most important, make sure they aren't sick before you blame them for anything.

Animals have never done anything to anyone that those people didn't bring about. They are merely following their instincts and if their instincts tell them you are a threat you are going to get attacked.

Dude, all you are saying is that "animals can be dangerous because they are animals". I don't think anyone disagrees with you. They don't have a rich inner life allowing them to make too many decisions on the essence of morality and the permissibility of murder under a variety of contexts. Technically, though, I can make arguments that humans are the exact same by pulling from neuroscience, psychology, and determinist philosophy. Seriously, read what you wrote and the exact same things work for humans.

I'm gonna wager it's not the first time that cat has been kicked.

For it to get so violent/agressive either it had a hell of a traumatic kittenhood before the family acquired it and/or the family are rotten pet owners who did not take good care of the cat and taught it to be that way. I mean ok yeh I've known moody cats but fuck I never thought a cat could be capable of a stunt like this xD

NuclearKangaroo:

but a dog will ALWAYS be there for you, a cat, maybe if it feels like it, not that it will do anything useful, i dont think cats can really perform any useful task

Thats BS stereotyping cos you ain't met my cats and 2 of them are as loyal as ANY dog, heck even more loyal cos unlike a dog with short memory whose loyalty is easily given, my cats are loyal to me because they want to ^^ And I ain't even the one who feeds them!

As for useful task...Usefulness is in the eye of the beholder.

What can a dog do for me that is "useful"? Fetch a ball? Yeh great. Only "useful" thing a dog could do for me is be my mini bodyguard I guess but I'm not interested in that cos means I have to walk it and clean its mess and what not.

Meanwhile what do my cats do?

My black and white angora cat is the most adorable cuddly fluff ball I know, it actively seeks out cuddles and doesn't get tired of them. He is always there to welcome peeps and act as a soft toy, which is a use in itself.

My black cat by contrast is a miniature panther and a great hunting mistress. She has SAVED MY LIFE from spider attacks (ok bit of an exageration but I am an arachnophobe) and keeps house clean of creepy crawlies that I find gross. She is also the most "loyal" cat I know in that she loves to follow me everywhere and all I have to do to get her running to me is do a certain sound (kinda like with dogs eh?) and she drops whatever she is doing to come running.

Ill emphasize the "hunting spiders" bit again cos to me that is a lot more important then anything a dog could do.
Actually speaking of importance, dogs were important to human development due for their help in hunting+guarding.
Cats were important as civilization developed cos they protected against vermin, hence why its "good luck" to have a cat onboard a ship and not a dog for example :P

Soz if tone seems agressive, not my intention but wanted to debunk some of those BS cat stereotypes that people like to spout but yet I've found it to be absolutely false in reality.

I just wanted to point out that its absolutely perfect that Andy's avatar is that of Cat Jesus.

I had a number of thoughts when I read this story, all of which are jostling for poll position here so I am going to go ahead and list them:

First of all the fact that the guy's initial reaction was to kick the cat probably tells you enough about what happens to it on a regular basis to explain why it went all coo-coo for cocoa puffs. People like this shouldn't be allowed to own animals and only have themselves to blame for incidents like this.

Second, it was a damned house cat, even if this thing was some kind of mutant super cat and all of that extra weight was pure muscle, it was still just a big house cat. We have already established these people should be allowed to own animals but frankly, if a grown man couldn't protect his family from a house cat I question whether he should have been allowed to have a family.

Lastly, he wants to keep the cat?!?! The hell is wrong with this guy? He was so intimidated by this cat that he hid in a bedroom, he has an infant child in the house, how does he propose to protect it? And why is he allowed to make this decision, Animal Control were called in, surely they must recognise that leaving this cat in the home would be inappropriate?

Andy Chalk:
Angry Cat Traps Family In Bedroom, Forces 911 Call

Cat 911 call

The 22-pound Himalayan kept an entire family, including the dog, trapped in a bedroom until police responded to a desperate 911 call.

Lee Palmer of Portland, Oregon, has a wife, an infant son, a dog and a cat named Lux. And Lux, according to Palmer, has "a history of violence." Yesterday, the cat scratched his son's forehead, so Palmer kicked the cat - and the cat dropped the hammer, forcing the family, including the dog, to flee into the bedroom, from where Palmer called 911.

"I kicked the cat in the rear, and it has went off, over the edge, and we aren't safe around the cat," he told the 911 operator. "We're trapped in our bedroom. He won't let us out of our door."

After learning that Palmer was calling about a house cat and not a rogue man-eating tiger that had busted out of the local zoo, the operator excused herself to determine whether this was something the police should actually be sent to deal with. Told that it was, she got back on the line and assured the worried family that help was on the way, although she seemed to struggle for things to say while they waited for the rescuers to arrive.

When animal control finally showed up, the cat jumped onto the refrigerator but they were able to grab it and put it into a pet carrier. Nobody was hurt, including the baby, and despite Palmer's previous statement about the cat's violent nature he later claimed he'd "never seen anything like it" before. Amazingly, as of yesterday the fate of the cat still hadn't been settled. "We are debating what to do," he said. "We definitely want to keep [the cat] away from the baby and keep an eye on his behavior."

Please, kids. Please. Stay in school.

Source: Oregon Live, WBTV.com

Your avatar is not helping the situation. At all.

On topic, as a cat lover this is ridiculous.

The cat only scratched the baby because the baby pulled its tail... Then the father went and kicked the cat... Considering these circumstances I'm on team cat.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/vicious-pet-cat-traps-oregon-couple-call-911-22854245

Barbas:

Tanis:
This is going to end up being the go to 'get your cat declawed' story for the next few years.

I don't know why people don't just clip the nails shorter instead. People would probably answer by saying "the cat would likely go straight for your eyes if you tried", but they're not all mad. They don't all hate water and they don't all scratch people's knees off. Surely people can get them used to being handled or groomed early on so that lacerations and veterinary casualties don't become a reality.

Even then, pet groomers aren't THAT pricey that you can't spend the extra cash to trim them up if you're afraid your cat won't sit still. If it's a safety thing, the money's always worth it.

jhoroz:

Pickapok:
The comments in here make me weep for the human race. I own four cats and love them all dearly but if I see one of them attack an INFANT then you're damn right I'm going to do whatever it takes to get it away from the baby, up to and including a swift kick to the rear.

Cats are awesome but babies are more important.

This.

Honestly, what the fuck is wrong with you people? If a cat scratched my son, I wouldn't just kick it. I'd cave its fucking head in.

But of course, the cat with claws and fangs that can survive falling from a third-story building is "more delicate and precious," no? Case after case convince me that families with infants should not have cats. Maybe when the kid is ambulatory, but not until then. At least most dogs I've seen are the type to take or even enjoy the abuse (oh the horror) that a squishy little humanling can dish out.

My favorite thing about this story is that, according to that screenshot, the cat was quoted as saying "RAAAAARRRRRR!"

But yeah, I'm with all those that have already said "Seriously dude? A house cat trapped you in a room? We're not dealing with a frickin' pit-bull here..." Just throw a frickin' blanket on it and wrap it up. Problem solved.

I'm willing to bet, building a series of shelves and a high up perch for that cat to climb up to, to get away from that baby, will solve everything.

Cats need their own personal space and many cats feel more secure high up. If all the cat has for space is the floor, something that feels insecure to a cat, makes them feel tiny and defenseless, he's probably stressed out(indicated by "history of violence") and that baby is using up that space with the dog. So that cat feels like he's got nothing, he tried to express authority over the baby for space, and that man kicked him for what the cat probably perceived as for no reason. So the stressed out, insecure, personal bubble spaced invaded feeling cat finally snapped and attacked the whole family.

Cats can be too fast and agile if they are motivated enough. Add to that they are quick thinkers. You try to throw a blanket on him, he'll get around it and be up the front of your shirt in a blink of a eye.

An easy solution for this. Open the door a crack, wait for the cat to attack the crack, then kick the door open.

CriticKitten:
As someone who is totally unbiased....*looks at username*....ahem....

Never seen so much misinformation about cats before in my life.

Let's look at the KNOWN facts of the case, here, people:
1) The cat scratched the baby. The reason for this is still unclear.
2) The owner responded to this behavior by kicking the cat.
3) The cat responded to this show of force with a show of force of its own.

It doesn't take a damn rocket scientist to figure out that this incident was provoked by the humans, not the cat.

So the cat scratching the baby is irrelevant? If this was a gorilla that cat would have been putty after scratching the baby.

Do4600:
So the cat scratching the baby is irrelevant? If this was a gorilla that cat would have been putty after scratching the baby.

The reason for the cat scratching the baby has not been made public, so I can't comment.

Were I a betting kitten, I'd wager that the baby pulled its tail or performed some other typical no-no function that pissed the cat off. It's exceedingly common for babies to do so, and some cats are more tolerant of it than others.

If indeed this cat's "history of violence" is indicative of the cat being regularly drop-kicked for stupid shit (as this owner apparently thinks that is appropriate), then yeah, I can see why the cat might have a low tolerance for bullshit from what it perceives as an animal within its own weight class.

Hahahaha jeezes christ. They ran from a HOUSECAT? Bahahaha. And there are actually people defending this on this forum? ( the running away part). It's a CAT. Grab it by the skin in the neck. Pull it from the ground and give it a tap on the head. This does NOT hurt them. It simply gives them the signal that you are their parent and that what they are doing is wrong. I've had lots of cats. Some were more inherintly aggressive then others but still. You have to show them who is boss. Grabbing them by the skin of their neck is something usually only the mother does. They don't like it but they respond to it. It's the equivalent of getting publicly scolded by your mother. Demasculizing and embarassing. It will piss them off but if you do it long enough they give up. And even if they don't because of bad "parenting" on your part. IT IS A FUCKING CAT. How sad can you be to need police intervention for THAT. Djeezes fucking christ almighty. That is one sad ass family who'd probably roll over and die if there is a slight breeze.

Don't even try and quote me over how wrong I am. I've defended my cats and my person from street cats. Dze litwle babies tried to scratch you? Aaaw let us take care of that little boe boe. hahaha

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here