SSD Too Slow? Plextor's New PCI Express Flash Storage is 50% Faster

SSD Too Slow? Plextor's New PCI Express Flash Storage is 50% Faster

Plextor M6e PCIe SSD 310x

M6e PCI Express drives start at $275 for 128 GB.

No, your SSD is not "too slow," but that doesn't mean flash storage can't be faster.

Plextor is now offering PCI Express-based flash storage drives, and it's targeting gamers who want the fastest storage possible without obliterating the bank. These M6e drives range in size from 128 GB up to 512 GB, with the latter going for around $460. That's not cheap, but at less than $1 per GB, it's cheaper than other PCIe-based storage solutions.

How fast are the new M6e drives? Plextor says sequential read and write speeds on the 512 GB model should hit 770 and 625 MB/sec., respectively. Compare those numbers to the 500 and 400 MB/sec. speeds on the 480 GB Crucial M500, and the speed boost is significant -- over 50 percent faster, in fact. Much of that speed boost comes from using PCI Express instead of a SATA (Serial ATA) port to connect to the motherboard. All M6e models come with a Marvell 88SS9183 controller.

$460 for any sort of storage drive is very expensive these days, especially with 2 TB hard drives starting well under $100. Power users with money to burn, however, will undoubtedly be tempted.

I care not if you're staff. This forum has clear rules on advertising and in the interest of fairness I think EVERYONE should follow the rules, including staff. You don't see police officers robbing banks, do you?

Yeah, there are going to be ads before vids and on banners and in boxes below the thread reply box. I have accepted this. But now as news articles? No, a line has to be drawn somewhere, guys.

Racecarlock:
I care not if you're staff. This forum has clear rules on advertising and in the interest of fairness I think EVERYONE should follow the rules, including staff. You don't see police officers robbing banks, do you?

Yeah, there are going to be ads before vids and on banners and in boxes below the thread reply box. I have accepted this. But now as news articles? No, a line has to be drawn somewhere, guys.

What?

No, seriously, what are you talking about? I personally do not see this as advertising, no more than when the oculus rift came to light when people starting saying that it.. well.. existed.

Pointing out that there is some cool new technology on the market, then explaining that you can indeed buy this piece of new technology, is not 3rd party advertising. It is sharing knowledge.

Calm down friend.

Racecarlock:

I didn't see it that way. This thread isn't actually as bad as some of the others that have been posted:

With the ad threads, they're usually courteous enough to put "Sponsored" in the title.

You can get 512 standard ssds for $300.

and even the lowest speed of ssd will be absolutely fine for gaming.

and that is not even mentioning the logistics, you want to tell people to occupy an expansion slot with a storage device?

so costs more, does not actually help, and is a bad use for a pci slot.

Whatever, for the PC crowd, we love this stuff. I've been curious about these PCIE drives for a while, but def. not curious enough to take a plunge. My last SSD pithed spectacularly.

An explain it like im five:

The key metric for your SSD though is the random 4k read/write number. Don't look at drives based on how fast they can move a 4 gig file. Its not a very common application for most users. However, turning on and shutting off your PC is where you see the biggest improvement of the SSD, and thats because of that 4K read write. In essence, thats the speed the drive can find any little ol' thing hiding on the drive, which is what it needs to do when loading all the random little files Microsoft needs to access during startup.

Even a cheapo ssd beats the pants of a standard drive for this metric. Thats why my super fast mega PC has to sit at windows start for nearly a minute before I can web browse, but my dinky little ipad is browsing from the second the screen is lit.

Racecarlock:

You think this is an advertisement? Sorry if it came off that way -- just shedding some light on a new product, dude. I made it pretty clear that this is an expensive piece of hardware, even when compared to other SSDs.

And some of you are right: SATA-based SSDs are plenty fast, and suit gamers just fine. This just happens to be an even faster option, pointed directly at the $2,000-plus PC rig crowd.

-Devin Connors

I have no intention on buying one, or even a SSD drive (and I'm a pc gamer, a traditional drive is working fine for me), but I still found this interesting. Certainly don't think it was advertising for anyone. Honestly don't think there is going to be a big market for this when you can get very cheap SSD drives at this point...if you even need one. I put together a new computer not that long ago, 8 core, 16 gig of ram, newer nvidia graphics card with 2 gigs of ram etc, and I thought about getting an SSD drive as well, I just figured I'd try the system out with just a normal decent 1 Tera drive first and see if I needed one.

It takes less then a minute to load up my windows (7), and I have had no problems with any games so far, even on high settings. I don't see the need for an SSD drive, let alone something even faster, and if I was going to get one, I would probably go with a 128 gig drive (which you can get for as little as $80 on pc part picker, though the better 128 gig SSD's are still almost $100). A sale can get you an even better price on one.

So yeah, interesting article, I just don't see it being something many people will buy right now. I'll keep my eye out for good SSD drive sales and possibly pick one up if a really good sale comes out, but i'm not holdin my breath.

Anyone that thinks SSD is too slow already uses DIMM drive, which is basically templorary storage in ram, place the game in ram, load everything instantly. And since the game can be sitting on regular HDD before loading into RAM you can completely skip SSD, get 32 GB of ram and run ANYTHING with instant loading.

Oh, and its also only 40 dollars instead of 300 :P

thiosk:

The key metric for your SSD though is the random 4k read/write number. Don't look at drives based on how fast they can move a 4 gig file. Its not a very common application for most users. However, turning on and shutting off your PC is where you see the biggest improvement of the SSD, and thats because of that 4K read write. In essence, thats the speed the drive can find any little ol' thing hiding on the drive, which is what it needs to do when loading all the random little files Microsoft needs to access during startup.

Even a cheapo ssd beats the pants of a standard drive for this metric. Thats why my super fast mega PC has to sit at windows start for nearly a minute before I can web browse, but my dinky little ipad is browsing from the second the screen is lit.

Or, you could just defragment your HDD smartly and it wont need to read it all that random.

Besides, whats the obsession with booting? Oh no, my windows load 4 seconds longer, and i get to see that once per week. how terribly im wasting my time!

Its the actual performance whne you use it thats important and that often moves large files (especially with games loving to load packages instead of seperate files. Like a map loading would actualy load <mapname>.pkg instead of scurrying for 100 different files.

Devin Connors:
You think this is an advertisement? Sorry if it came off that way -- just shedding some light on a new product, dude. I made it pretty clear that this is an expensive piece of hardware, even when compared to other SSDs.

And some of you are right: SATA-based SSDs are plenty fast, and suit gamers just fine. This just happens to be an even faster option, pointed directly at the $2,000-plus PC rig crowd.

-Devin Connors

I see it exactly as you intended it. You arent highlighting a specific product out of a group of products, you are highlighting a new KIND of a product. If TheEscapist did an article on just a new SSD by Samsung that had no unique features other than being slightly better, that would be advertising. In that case the only draw of the article is highlighting the specific product, rather than say, new features, tech advancements etc. This is highlight a new kind of product that I personally have never even heard of, so Devin you certainly aren't doing anything wrong IMO at least.

OT: I personally cant see why I would need this ever. Outside of intense rendering I cant see why you would need something even faster than an SSD. Mine is a generic SSD and it is suuuuper fast for what I want.

Racecarlock:

With that mindset they should just stop talking about anything, games, movies, tv, y'know anything relevant.

This is an advancement in technology and they are reporting on it to a demographic with interest in it.

What is your damage precisely?

Interesting to see this coming to the home market already. There are some SAN / NAS vendors doing all PCI arrays and they benchmark extremely well, but even there it's still a fairly new type of product in the storage world. Not sure how much a gamer would need this extra speed over SSD but I can see they might want it for shiny value.

Tuxedoman:

Racecarlock:

What?

No, seriously, what are you talking about? I personally do not see this as advertising, no more than when the oculus rift came to light when people starting saying that it.. well.. existed.

Pointing out that there is some cool new technology on the market, then explaining that you can indeed buy this piece of new technology, is not 3rd party advertising. It is sharing knowledge.

Calm down friend.

There are some reasons for his opinion to be like that though, I dont see this case being exactly advertisement but it wouldnt be the first time the Escapist presented an add like this, even worse they presented an add as a feature (it was about some MMO or something where the dev only presented himself as being the dev of that game in the end and through out all the feature he was saying "Those guys do it wrong, these guys over here do it right", being "these guys" his own team).

Add to that the whole thing where the staff is supposed to be treated the same way as the users and a user doing advertisement is met with a ban and you can see how easily someone can get pissed off.

PCi E bus is faster than SATA 3? Never would have guessed.

Frankly I can see limited uses for this tech, it's mostly useless for gamers, since games are huge these days large HDD's are still the way to go with a small SSD for boot, OS, and a couple of titles (Payday 2, FFXIV for me). The tech is impressive as hell but rather niche` in appeal and application.

you are highlighting a new KIND of a product.

Except it isn't new, not even close, oh I disagree strongly that the segment is a disguised advertisment, after all very few advertisments contain info that derides the product being advertised (the bit at the end about the cost vs storage size) but the PCI-e SSD is nothing new. Asus released the Raidr towards the end of last year which contained two SSDs using an on board Raid controller that plugged in to the PCI-e bus and OCZ had the Revo drives out for around a year before that.

They all suffered from the same issues, troublesome when being used as a boot drives, not performing as well as expected, not being very reliable and as someone mentioned not being very fast when it came to the more common 4k writes, oh and being very expensive.

Racecarlock:

Yeah, well, "this new tech improves significantly on our previous limits" is NOT where that line should be drawn. That would mean that we can't have any articles on new consumer tech, like, say, Oculous Rift or even consoles.

OT: Huh. I'm impressed. I'll wait for the price to fall a bit, though.

Haven't OCZ offered products like these for years?? I'm positive I saw OCZ PCIEx storage products which boasted similar speeds (and price points).

$460 for 512GB with that performance isn't terrible truth be told. What i'd like to know is what speed PCIEx is required (because if it's 8x or 16x then it's already out) and is it genuinely non-volatile.

IceForce:

Lol, those are pretty bad. Especially the wine one.

OT: I like the idea of PCIe storage drives. Expansion slots allow for some fast hardware. I'll wait until there are improvements in the technology though.

wulfy42:
It takes less then a minute to load up my windows (7), and I have had no problems with any games so far, even on high settings. I don't see the need for an SSD drive, let alone something even faster, and if I was going to get one, I would probably go with a 128 gig drive (which you can get for as little as $80 on pc part picker, though the better 128 gig SSD's are still almost $100).

I went so far as to replace my games drive from a 600GB WD velociraptor with an SSD in the quest for speed. The difference it makes to general computer use is staggering and I wouldn't want to go back to pre-SSD boot drives. Less than a minute in your case is pretty good indeed, though in perspective, with an SSD I go from completely off to fully booted and usable in < 20s. When I open a folder, program or web browser, it just opens immediately. Photoshop opens in < 4s. It's hands-down the single most worthwhile upgrade for general performance.

I genuinely recommend the 128gig boot drive idea for how much nicer an experience you'll have using your machine. It will make it feel like a faster machine, with everything being immediate and snappy. For gaming, it's not really necessary. It makes zero difference to performance/frame rates really, but is noticeable with faster load times, especially in previously very slow loading games.

KingsGambit:

wulfy42:
It takes less then a minute to load up my windows (7), and I have had no problems with any games so far, even on high settings. I don't see the need for an SSD drive, let alone something even faster, and if I was going to get one, I would probably go with a 128 gig drive (which you can get for as little as $80 on pc part picker, though the better 128 gig SSD's are still almost $100).

I went so far as to replace my games drive from a 600GB WD velociraptor with an SSD in the quest for speed. The difference it makes to general computer use is staggering and I wouldn't want to go back to pre-SSD boot drives. Less than a minute in your case is pretty good indeed, though in perspective, with an SSD I go from completely off to fully booted and usable in < 20s. When I open a folder, program or web browser, it just opens immediately. Photoshop opens in < 4s. It's hands-down the single most worthwhile upgrade for general performance.

I genuinely recommend the 128gig boot drive idea for how much nicer an experience you'll have using your machine. It will make it feel like a faster machine, with everything being immediate and snappy. For gaming, it's not really necessary. It makes zero difference to performance/frame rates really, but is noticeable with faster load times, especially in previously very slow loading games.

I can totally see the use of getting a SSD for my boot drive. When I was putting my computer together, that was what I was thinking about doing. My last computer took much longer to boot up, and even after it did, it would take a few more minutes before it ran smoothly. That was a primary reason I was thinking of going with an SSD for my boot drive, and possibly my most played games would go on there as well.

I'm not sure what is making this computer so much faster, is it the ram? The 8 core processor? Maybe the base drive itself is just better as well (Since it's a much, much newer drive), but whatever the reason, I can't see it making THAT much of a difference to me at this point.

Less then a minute...to 20 seconds....isn't enough to bother with to me. My games/files etc all open right away as well. I had to wait for many things on my old computer, sometimes up to like 4-5 minutes. I never wait for anything on this one.

So I think, perhaps, a SSD drive is a good cheap way to boost performance if your machine isn't already boosted from other parts. I have a space for a second GPU later on if I really want to go overboard, and I could always toss in an SSD as well....but for now I literally have nothing I am playing that I would notice any performance increase with at all.

I certainly don't see the point of something even faster then an SSD. If I load my comp in..oh 50 seconds say, and an SSD does it in 20 seconds, it seriously makes no sense at all to spend well over 2x as much to shave off another 10 seconds or so. I'm glad at this point I skipped the SSD to be honest, it would have been a waste of money on my rig right now....and with technology constantly improving, if I do get one later it'll probably be both cheaper and better then the current ones available.

I held off on replacing my last computer for years (purchased it in 2005-2006)...and I am so glad I did...the jump was huge, and the cost of all the parts was WAAAY cheaper then if I had upgraded a few years ago. Who knows if we will even be using solid/physical memory storage in our computers by the time I upgrade again:)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here