Poisoned Puppy Saved By Extreme Drunkenness

Poisoned Puppy Saved By Extreme Drunkenness

Veterinarians in Australia quickly determined that the only way to save Charlie from poisoning was to get him out-of-his-mind drunk.

A Maltese terrier named Charlie was given just hours to live after vets in Melbourne, Australia determined that he was suffering from ethylene glycol poisoning, the result of licking antifreeze off the floor of his owner's garage. His kidneys were shutting down and death seemed imminent, but luckily for him, that's the kind of trouble they know how to deal with in the Land Down Under.

"In Australia, the only antidote we have is alcohol," the Animal Accident and Emergency Hospital wrote on its blog, explaining how the people of the nation deal with their many day-to-day travails. And as it turns out, it's also a way to counteract ethylene glycol poisoning! "Alcohol alters the chemical reaction and stops the kidney failure from occurring. It is important that we treat these pets as soon as possible after ingestion. For most pets, a couple of licks of anti-freeze is enough to cause problems."

Vets inserted a tube through Charlie's nose into his stomach and spent the next 48 hours feeding him vodka, which is apparently a boozehound favorite. When all was said and done, he'd pounded back 700 ml of vodka, the equivalent of 22 "standard drinks," according to the Australian government's Department of Health.

"For the whole weekend, Charlie had a huge party with us in the Pet ICU," the blog says. "The good news is that Charlie has recovered and is not showing signs of kidney failure."

Even though he was cured, he still went home in pretty rough shape. "He was stumbling around, I'd go to pat him and he'd push me away like a normal drunk person. He was vomiting a little, whining like a drunk," Charlie's owner, Jacinta Rosewarne, told the Herald Sun. "I thought it was hilarious... It was distressing but funny at the same time."

Source: Herald Sun, Animal Accident and Emergency

Permalink

For a 5lb Maltese, 700ml of vodka is something like 5000% of it's body weight in alcohol. It should be drunk for a month ^.^

This is cute and awesome. This news made my day :)

Never thought I'd hear someone being saved from poisoning thanks to alcohol... even less that it'd be a dog. So just... dayumn.

Reminds me of House, LL cool j was a prison inmate (keepin' it real!) who was on death row, to kill himself he drank printer ink ... house got him drunk on whiskey and explained the two chemicals will combine to make water that he will just piss out.

I don't know if the science adds up but it seems like the same kind of thing.

Still, that pooch must be Russian to survive that amount of vodka!

Save the kidneys. Kill the liver.

Still, I'd party with that pooch any day.

MinionJoe:
Save the kidneys. Kill the liver.

Still, I'd party with that pooch any day.

Eh, the liver'll recover. He might go clubbing.

OT: This is both facinating and funny. I'm thinking of...

...but applied logically and to good effect.

From reading the news of the pissed of angry cat to a cute little wasted pup. I'm glad they were able to saved him via an unusal method.

Wait, isn't this the same treatment humans get? The treatment is the same for methyl alcohol poisoning (e.g. from inexpertly distilled booze). Though humans probably don't get the alcohol force-fed through their nose, I guess.

omega 616:
Reminds me of House, LL cool j was a prison inmate (keepin' it real!) who was on death row, to kill himself he drank printer ink ... house got him drunk on whiskey and explained the two chemicals will combine to make water that he will just piss out.

I don't know if the science adds up but it seems like the same kind of thing.

Still, that pooch must be Russian to survive that amount of vodka!

With anti-freeze, it's that both it and the ethanol in alcohol compete for the same enzyme. When the anti-freeze chemical is processed it makes something really toxic, but alcohol is preferentially processed by the enzyme. Apparently the same treatment is used for humans.

I have no idea how they get the patients to survive that much alcohol though.

image

Thanks to Mr Jack Daniels that puppy will live to chew another slipper.

TiberiusEsuriens:
For a 5lb Maltese, 700ml of vodka is something like 5000% of it's body weight in alcohol. It should be drunk for a month ^.^

Actually 1L of water weight 1Kg, alcohol also has less mass then water and vodka is basically 40% alcohol and 60% water, so your calculation are kind of all wrong. =p

The White Hunter:
image

Thanks to Mr Jack Daniels that puppy will live to chew another slipper.

Dammit ninja'd with the Homer line. Heh trust our vets to think of alcohol to save the pup, they probably went down to the pub afterwards. I'd hate to think what a breath test would come back with. Something tells me he'd be alil over for driving :-P

RicoADF:

The White Hunter:
image

Thanks to Mr Jack Daniels that puppy will live to chew another slipper.

Dammit ninja'd with the Homer line. Heh trust our vets to think of alcohol to save the pup, they probably went down to the pub afterwards. I'd hate to think what a breath test would come back with. Something tells me he'd be alil over for driving :-P

I know the pain of being ninja'd all too well my friend.

As some one in the veterinary field, it's definitely a "hurray for veterinary science" moment for me. I haven't seen a live case of antifreeze poisoning (only when it was too late, sadly. Dogs are often attracted to antifreeze, making them the go-to for assholes that want to poison dogs in parks or yards), but it's pretty bad from what I hear. The fact that this was cured with vodka not only makes it a happy story for the dog, but as a bonus also a funny one that almost sounds like an old wives tale. The type of story crotchety old vets will pass on to the next generation. "*waggles cane* In my day, the way you treat antifreeze poisoning was to get a dog piss drunk on vodka. LOTS of vodka. Those were the days..."

MinionJoe:
Save the kidneys. Kill the liver.

I don't know how far the liver would have gone or how specifics on how booze works with dogs, but if you're gonna damage one organ, safest bet might be the liver. The kidneys will compensate for each other until they weaken and die, but the liver can regenerate after trauma if given the chance and plenty of support. I heard stories of people who donated part of their liver and it regenerated in both the donor and recipient. The liver is a badass organ that way.

so much for video game site and gaming related news...

and its just a dog. one of those annoying small ones too.

Scarim Coral:
From reading the news of the pissed of angry cat to a cute little wasted pup. I'm glad they were able to saved him via an unusal method.

except we have been doing this for years on humans stupid enough to drink anti-freeze.

For those interested:

iniudan:

TiberiusEsuriens:
For a 5lb Maltese, 700ml of vodka is something like 5000% of it's body weight in alcohol. It should be drunk for a month ^.^

Actually 1L of water weight 1Kg, alcohol also has less mass then water and vodka is basically 40% alcohol and 60% water, so your calculation are kind of all wrong. =p

I'm guessing you've never heard of the term hyperbole?

*shudder* I can't imagine having to rely on downing loads of vodka to survive. I wonder how much it was. Probably enough to cause a lot of pain in such a little pup, hence the whining.

ClockworkPenguin:

omega 616:
Reminds me of House, LL cool j was a prison inmate (keepin' it real!) who was on death row, to kill himself he drank printer ink ... house got him drunk on whiskey and explained the two chemicals will combine to make water that he will just piss out.

I don't know if the science adds up but it seems like the same kind of thing.

Still, that pooch must be Russian to survive that amount of vodka!

With anti-freeze, it's that both it and the ethanol in alcohol compete for the same enzyme. When the anti-freeze chemical is processed it makes something really toxic, but alcohol is preferentially processed by the enzyme. Apparently the same treatment is used for humans.

I have no idea how they get the patients to survive that much alcohol though.

Easy. By spacing it out like the article said they did. They didn't give the dog all of it at once:

spent the next 48 hours feeding him vodka, which is apparently a boozehound favorite. When all was said and done, he'd pounded back 700 ml of vodka, the equivalent of 22 "standard drinks

That would give the dog's body time, ideally, to break down and pass the alcohol without suffering from alcohol poisoning. I don't necessarily know what the dog's body rate for getting rid of it is, but if I remember correctly humans process a glass an hour generally speaking. Considering they gave him less than a liter of vodka over 2 days, the dog was likely just consistently drunk but not so much for it to be toxic.

As sad as it is the poisoning took place in the first place, the endstate of the story just brings a smile to my face and a giggle to my lungs XD I can just imagine the poor puppy acting in the way described, even if it sounds like a bit of light-hearted talk to cheer up after the horribleness of the incident. as much as I don't drink, for this, I say heck yeah XD

Yep best cure ever. I had to do this with some kittens that broke into my garage a few years back. Saved 7 out of 8 of them, the last guy just would not drink. Even if you do not drink if you have kids or animals you should keep a small bottle of vodka in the freezer just in case.

 

Reply to Thread

Log in or Register to Comment
Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  
  
Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here