Game of Thrones Actors Voice Opinions on Who Should Rule

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Game of Thrones Actors Voice Opinions on Who Should Rule

The Game of Thrones cast members tell who they would like to see sitting on the Iron Throne.

Every Game of Thrones fan has their pick (and the smart ones have a back-up pick or two) for who should win the Iron Throne of Westeros. In the run-up to its April issue, which will feature the show on its cover, Vanity Fair asked various cast members (in costume) who they personally would like to see triumph.

The actors are mostly wiser than their characters, with Tyrion the clear favorite at five votes, and surprise candidate Hodor tying Jon Snow for second place with three votes. Daenerys also receives three votes, but only if you count Emilia Clarke voting for her character twice, which to be fair is probably in character.

The best answers come from the actors who play Jamie Lannister (Nickolaj Coster-Waldau) and Samwell Tarly (John Bradley-West), with John voting for anyone but Joffrey, and Nikolaj voting to dissolve the whole monarchy, since "It's clearly not working."

Personally, this author knows that the wise answer must be Tyrion, or possibly Varys; but his heart longs to see the vengeful, PTSD murder-spree that might be the reign of Arya Stark. Of course, she'll have to survive in order to get there. Share your votes with us in the comments.

Source: Vanity Fair

I vote for the White Walkers. They are the ones most deserving to rule.

After all, the petty and stupid manchildren that make up the cast of ASoIAF are very clearly utterly incapable of doing what is necessary (read: stop killing each other) to prevent that from happening.

Should we base our answers on the TV show alone or can we make suggestions based on the books??

Possible spoilers.

I find Jack Gleeson's logic infallible on this one. Hodor it is.

Daenerys is the one with all of her shit together, to be sure, but the one with all the brains in Westeros is Tyrion. Could we vote for both? Make the kingdom a Matriarchy with Tyrion as Hand and chief advisor? I believe Daenerys would agree that little men must have to think alot, since there's only so much else they can do otherwise.

Angelous Wang:
Possible spoilers.

I would nomiate tyrion or tywin with favor towards tyrion. Both are capable pragmatic men who can actually be trusted with not running westeros straight down into the ground. Tyrion is the best choice between them for obvious reasons, but tywin would be fine as well. I especially love how he put joffrey in his place be just walking up to him straight up boss moment.

But in the end anyone other then danearys is fine with me.

Edit: actually the varys is a pretty good choice. He is not associated with any of the houses, is the only character so far whos motivation seems solely towards making westeros a better place and he actually worked himself up from the very very very bottom. So my third vote goes to him.

Angelous Wang:
Possible spoilers.

Regarding the video: Charles Dances steals the show, as usual.

How about the Easterlings invade and take the throne? Apparently they can literally birth shadow demons... don't really know how Westeros is supposed to fight the technologically and magically superior east? Don't really know why they haven't yet conquered the earth unless they are shattered into a thousand kingdoms all fighting for dominance.

Basically what I'm saying is screw the throne I'm bored with it when a far more interesting world looms just over the horizon.

Exterminas:

Angelous Wang:
Possible spoilers.

I'd go with Stannis. He'd be a just ruler, and he'd know how to run a kingdom. Plus y'know, it is rightfully his throne as well.

Well, it should rightfully go to Stannis, but I would like to see Daenerys get the throne. However, I do really want to see Arya rise up and kick all sorts of ass and take the throne herself. And then another part of me hopes that maybe Sansa will end up on the throne. That could be interesting. Or Hodor.

I like Geoffrey now. He clearly knows what's up.

It should be Stannis, the throne is rightfully his (Robert had a valid claim to declare war and to the throne, making House Baratheon legitimate rulers) and he would be a just ruler. He would be harsh but just and all those lords that have plotted and schemed to advance their own position would have a spanner thrown in their works.

As for the other candidates, these opinions are dark and full of spoilers, some in the books. Be warned.

The Dragon has Three Heads:

My more than likely crazy forecasting

Angelous Wang:

Exterminas:

Angelous Wang:
Possible spoilers.

Book spoilers:

grey_space:
The Dragon has Three Heads:

My more than likely crazy forecasting

Exterminas:

Note, Targaryens are not, in fact, impervious to fire. Daenerys' feat with Khal Drogo's funeral pyre was an incredible phenomenon, but it does not mean she is fire-immune. It seems to have been a one-off miraculous event, even with her family. She burns her hands at a later point, pain and all.

And Aerion "Brightflame" Targaryen died from consuming wildfire, too.

I'd go for Ned, if only it were possible, with Stannis as his hand. Stannis is my current candidate, just so long as he and Davos are eventually rid of Mel.

1337mokro:
How about the Easterlings invade and take the throne? Apparently they can literally birth shadow demons... don't really know how Westeros is supposed to fight the technologically and magically superior east? Don't really know why they haven't yet conquered the earth unless they are shattered into a thousand kingdoms all fighting for dominance.

Basically what I'm saying is screw the throne I'm bored with it when a far more interesting world looms just over the horizon.

It is a thing (in the books at least) that everyone outside of the Seven Kingdoms (except Daenerys obviously) doesn't give a rats ass about the Iron Throne. Westeros isn't a juicy target like Qarth and is beginning to get overrun by zombies to boot.

And yeah I totally agree that everything outside Westeros is the most interesting stuff in GoT, probably because there is still some mystery left.

Bran Stark should come back and rule the world as a tree.

It'll happen, just you wait!

Jaqen H'ghar.

What is your verdict my king?

Valar morghulis.

Well shit ...

I cannot understand why people think Stannis has more right to the throne than literally anyone else. Ruling line was thrown out the window the moment the war was started, because even though Aerys was mad, the line should have gone to Rhaegar, who did nothing wrong. Even his crime was purely speculation, and even then they were out for his head from the start. If anything, the Starks being put to death for calling for the blood of a prince simply because of speculation was just, even if their deaths themselves were not. Heritage and hierarchy died at that moment, so anyone with the biggest army had the best claim.

Now, by who would rule best, I think either Tyrion or Varys would do splendidly. If it was a consistent throne, Stannis wouldn't be too bad, but during war times, he'd be a terrible king. Good general, just horrible leader of the common people. Past that, only one other really looks to be worth a damn, and he's in the spoiler.

Now, going completely by my Mount and Blade: A Clash of Kings game: Stannis cannot be trusted. I swore fealty to him and served him for at least a week before eloping with the commander of his armies' daughter. Then the ungrateful fool refused to give me Harrenhal after I conquered it from Tywin - twice.

Now, I don't know about you all - but that disqualifies him in my opinion.

oh boy this is going to be so much spoilers.

FalloutJack:
Daenerys is the one with all of her shit together, to be sure, but the one with all the brains in Westeros is Tyrion. Could we vote for both? Make the kingdom a Matriarchy with Tyrion as Hand and chief advisor? I believe Daenerys would agree that little men must have to think alot, since there's only so much else they can do otherwise.

if you dont mind spoilers, read on:

DaViller:
I would nomiate tyrion or tywin with favor towards tyrion.

you will be surprised :)

The Harkinator:

Silvanus:

Note, Targaryens are not, in fact, impervious to fire. Daenerys' feat with Khal Drogo's funeral pyre was an incredible phenomenon, but it does not mean she is fire-immune. It seems to have been a one-off miraculous event, even with her family. She burns her hands at a later point, pain and all.

Actually it was established even before that that Daenerys is immune to fire. she woudl hold her hand over the fire and whatnot. Altrough you are correct that it was kind of inconsistent. Also something happens in the 5th book that also reassuers her immunity, read my original spoiler if you want to know what.

You lot are way, way too optimistic.

Also most of your happy ending wishful theories don't account for Aegon and Victarion.

___

Who I'd wish to rule? Tyrion. He's got his head straight, he's clever and great at political games.

Who's probably gonna rule? Fucked if I know. Probably someone we don't care after Westeros barely surviving the WW menace and after corpses of everyone who killed each other trying to get the throne settle in.
Here's a guess, The High Septon rules. He turns out to be the long missing Howland Reed and unites the survivors of the wars using his power through religious following.

Here's another idea. Fuck the Iron Throne, drop it in the bay. No one rules.

Everyone for themselves and going back to 7 kingdoms like in the olden days.

Edit: Though, to be fair, the throne from the books is next to impossible to get to the bay.
Unless a dragon broke the keep and picked it up I guess, if even Drogon ever got that big.

Strazdas:
-snip-

i'm genuinely curious as to how many of the actors have read the books, because as we've already seen, characters die a lot. if i were doing that, i'd be finding out all spoilers, then rewriting the screenplay writers books so i live forever rather than die and stop being paid...

anyway as for me, i can't say without spoiling shit, so you've been warned

suitepee7:

Strazdas:
-snip-

i'm genuinely curious as to how many of the actors have read the books, because as we've already seen, characters die a lot. if i were doing that, i'd be finding out all spoilers, then rewriting the screenplay writers books so i live forever rather than die and stop being paid...

anyway as for me, i can't say without spoiling shit, so you've been warned

Character deaths are extragarated. Lets just say the "Whoever your rooting for, he dies anyway" is false. Neither of the 3 characters i rooted for died.

That being said, i do believe most actors dont really read the material to play thier roles. Besides GG said he is changing stuff from the books anyway.

Also, 6th book? I only know of 5. What sorcery is this.

I have to say Tyrion since he seems to be the most screwed-on head wise, and actually knows how a ruler should behave and act.

Or melt the throne down into say... the Iron Shitter. Now there's some bathroom architecture there.

Strazdas:
-snip

i'm gonna assume by the three you are rooting for, this means tyrion, hodor and jon? i won't say any more if that's the case, because you haven't finished and i'm not gonna be that guy, if you really want to spoil it for yourself then you can find out for yourself online. anyway if we're going that that theory, ned should have been on there. he didn't have a claim, but as far as honour, loyalty and fairness goes, it was hard to beat.

hmm, i understand they might not, but if it was me i would get too into the whole scene, and wouldn't be able to resist reading them!

and yeahh my bad, thanks for pointing that out! my copies have a dance of dragons split into two so i forgot that it's technically one big book, i usually think of part 2 as the 6th even though it isn't

Strazdas:

As far as people suggesting The Spider, i personally liked him, however he is nowhere to be seen since the 3rd book so unlikely he will have significant takeover (i still ahvent finished 5th book yet).

Oh boy oh boy are you in for a pleasant(i think) surprise :)

He's obviously not interested in ruling himself though, but he puts massive weight behind one of the candidates.

Strazdas:

The Harkinator:

That's not ruling, that's leading. His responsibilities are akin to commanding an army than ruling a Kingdom. Besides, he was deliberately brought up not being taught how to rule.

Zac Jovanovic:
You lot are way, way too optimistic.

Also most of your happy ending wishful theories don't account for Aegon and Victarion.

Strazdas:

Actually it was established even before that that Daenerys is immune to fire. she woudl hold her hand over the fire and whatnot. Altrough you are correct that it was kind of inconsistent. Also something happens in the 5th book that also reassuers her immunity, read my original spoiler if you want to know what.

It's established that she seems to have a high heat tolerance (with exceedingly hot baths etc), but Martin himself has clarified that the funeral pyre event was a one-off, and she probably wouldn't be able to do it again:

https://web.archive.org/web/20010121111400/http://eventhorizon.com/sfzine/chats/transcripts/031899.html

George R R Martin, on Flashpoint:

Granny: "Do Targaryens become immune to fire once they "bond" to their dragons?"

George R. R. Martin: "Granny, thanks for asking that. It gives me a chance to clear up a common misconception. TARGARYENS ARE NOT IMMUNE TO FIRE! The birth of Dany's dragons was unique, magical, wonderous, a miracle. She is called The Unburnt because she walked into the flames and lived. But her brother sure as hell wasn't immune to that molten gold".

Revanshe: "So she won't be able to do it again?"

George R. R. Martin: "Probably not".

Ambiguity does remain about the extent of her capacity, though, you're right.

Strazdas:

Also, 6th book? I only know of 5. What sorcery is this.

There are a couple of sample chapters available from The Winds of Winter,

[spoiler="Including these P.O.V.s"]Arianne Martell and Theon Greyjoy.[/quote]

I imagine this is what he was referring to, though I may be wrong.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here