Razer's Latest Blade Laptop has Highest-Res 14" Display Ever

Razer's Latest Blade Laptop has Highest-Res 14" Display Ever

A 3200x1800, 14-inch IZGO touchscreen panel? Inconceivable!

Due to Nvidia's new 800M series GPUs becoming officially official today, several laptop manufacturers are taking the wraps off of new models. Earlier we brought you some MSI news, and now Razer has announced a refresh of its Blade line of gaming laptops.

The new 14-inch Blade is getting a serious spec bump, starting with the display. Razer says the new IZGO-IPS touchscreen display is "the world's highest resolution 14-inch laptop display," and we can't think of any other 14-inch models that boast the same kind of pixel density. To compare, the 15-inch MacBook Pro's display has a 2880x1800 resolution.

The Blade 14 also gets a new 800M series GPU -- a GTX 870M, to be specific. The 870M is about 30 percent faster than the 770M on average, according to Nvidia. The CPU (Intel Core i7-4702HQ) remains from the previous Blade, and the only other meaningful change on the inside is the inclusion of an Intel-made 802.11ac WiFi chip.

The exterior is still the same compact, Ultrabook-ish form factor Razer has been rocking for the last few generations. At 0.7 inches thick and 4.47 pounds, it's the lightest gaming-specific machine on the market.

The new Blade starts at $2,199.99, and will start shipping in early April.

I just wonder why you'd want a resolution that high on a screen diameter that's so friggin' small. I mean really, 14"? I get why there's laptops with 14" screens, weight and all that, but for this? Seems rather silly.

Also, this seems to be another of those "news" post that's just a glorified add. One we've seen quite a few of as of late.

I've been thinking about what gaming laptop to buy once my current one dies. This one is definitively going on my list.

Step one: Increase your font size.

Step two...

Cowabungaa:
I just wonder why you'd want a resolution that high on a screen diameter that's so friggin' small. I mean really, 14"? I get why there's laptops with 14" screens, weight and all that, but for this? Seems rather silly.

Also, this seems to be another of those "news" post that's just a glorified add. One we've seen quite a few of as of late.

Seriously? Is any report on a new product advertisement now? What about game reviews with high scores? Previews? Developer interviews about games? Where do you draw the line?

OT: What I would like to know here is if the performance of the laptop is high enough to actually utilize the resolution, because sure, it got a great screen, but will we be able to run anything more demanding than a web browser while still using the max resolution?

the better question is, why would i ever want a laptop with 14" screen. if i wanted something this small - id buy a tablet. if i want a laptop id be buying one with full keyboard and 17" screen minimum.

Cowabungaa:

because no aliasing?

Yopaz:

OT: What I would like to know here is if the performance of the laptop is high enough to actually utilize the resolution, because sure, it got a great screen, but will we be able to run anything more demanding than a web browser while still using the max resolution?

If the 800m series has same advantage over 700m series as 700m had over 600m, yes, it definitely will. Then again, even 700m did....

With the resolution, size, and bundled application differences Razer should probably brand these differently. The 14 is very clearly marked at gamers and those with a resolution fetish while the 17 is designed for mobile production... I kinda want both. I don't think I'll ever need a res over 1080 on a mobile device but maybe if I was a photographer I'd need it, but then there are probably better options..?

Razer is definitely occupying a limited niche, more so with the division of its Blade line.

Hard to be impressed with the ad when my laptop can't see how detailed it is being less than that resolution and all...

Damn impressive, since it's got an 870m that thing is almost justified being over $2000.

Only niggling feeling is that the battery life will suck. The newer intel processors help, but that screen is gonna mean a lotta juice.

Also that keyboard looks like shit. Ideapads have the best gaming keyboards to me. Pretty much the dealbreaker for me.

And here I am still loving my 1280x800. My eyes must be shit to not tell the difference if people are paying 2 grand to carry that around.

I have a feeling the generation of increasing resolutions is going to pass me by, and I'll just skip right on to virtual reality when it comes out.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here